ADVERTISEMENT

John Hugley

Look. Champ is not DEFINITELY gone. X and Toney are most likely not leaving. Those things can be discussed...

Hugley is not coming back. That’s it. End of story. Waste of all our time even discussing it
Damn you changed your tune on Hugley. New info?

I agree that Hoiberg stinks. My point is more that there are coaches who people here gush over who build their entire programs around transfers and JUCOs. Some are successful. But I don’t think one season of dipping into that pool is going to be a killer, especially since eligibility for our 2020 class is frozen.

I think the key difference is that Musselman is levels above Capel as a coach. When he brings in a player for a year, you know he's going to get the most out of them so high level transfers want to play for him. Can Capel attract anyone like that? I have no issue with dipping into the transfer pool, I'm just a bit skeptical that we're going to get the quality we need from it.

It's crazy the lack of 21 recruiting we hear about.
I'm hearing about transfers and jucos and whatnot and a Reid lottery which seems unlikely.
I'm wondering about the 22 kids and a possible reclass. We never know about those until they happen.

Damn you changed your tune on Hugley. New info?

I don’t ever remember saying otherwise. Probably mixed me up with someone else. At first I said wait and see, then as more came out I just thought he should get a second chance elsewhere. And now between the info that’s public and what posters who would know, know, it seems pretty certain he’s gone.

I can look at both sides of what to do with Hugley , on one hand he should be gone and on the other he should be given a second chance . Had there been anyone harmed or if it was a carjacking there would be no discussion .

No one on here has given any information on how his teammates feel about him and his situation . If they’re uncomfortable with him being here he needs to be gone .

Maybe JC feels like he can positively effect the kids life or maybe he’s so disgusted with how stupid he was and the negative light shone on the program he can’t stand the thought of him being here .

Guess we’ll see .

I can look at both sides of what to do with Hugley , on one hand he should be gone and on the other he should be given a second chance . Had there been anyone harmed or if it was a carjacking there would be no discussion .

No one on here has given any information on how his teammates feel about him and his situation . If they’re uncomfortable with him being here he needs to be gone .

Maybe JC feels like he can positively effect the kids life or maybe he’s so disgusted with how stupid he was and the negative light shone on the program he can’t stand the thought of him being here .

Guess we’ll see .

well the team represents the school. its a matter of what the schools wants representing it. not about what the kids think or feel. they are on the team, which is well....the schools.

Maybe JC feels like he can positively effect the kids life

He may already be doing this, communicating with him about his future, encouraging him to continue with his education, assuring him that other players have recovered with a new start elsewhere, letting him know he will do all he can to find a good coach willing to give him that second chance...I would be shocked if he were not, assuming there is not more to the story, which seems to have cropped into the discussion as of late

Reactions: FireballZ
He may already be doing this, communicating with him about his future, encouraging him to continue with his education, assuring him that other players have recovered with a new start elsewhere, letting him know he will do all he can to find a good coach willing to give him that second chance...I would be shocked if he were not, assuming there is not more to the story, which seems to have cropped into the discussion as of late

Even if there's more to the story, it's immaterial. Trying to set him on the right path is absolutely something that Capel should do and, given what I know of his character, I'd imagine it's exactly what's happening. If it's necessary to kick him off the team, so be it, but a 19 year old kid's life isn't over because he did something stupid. Nobody's dead, there's nothing that can't be remedied.

Even if there's more to the story, it's immaterial

Well, I am referring to extreme situations, there are people who will not accept responsibility, want no help, refuse to accept that there is a right and a wrong, etc., I hope you have never had to deal with these types, I have, in blue collar situations, but I have no doubt they exist across the social-economic spectrum....I may add this type is not unique to the younger generation, hardened criminal types have been around forever, not saying this applies here but skill in any endeavor (bball whatever) does not insulate them

Well, I am referring to extreme situations, there are people who will not accept responsibility, want no help, refuse to accept that there is a right and a wrong, etc., I hope you have never had to deal with these types, I have, in blue collar situations, but I have no doubt they exist across the social-economic spectrum....I may add this type is not unique to the younger generation, hardened criminal types have been around forever, not saying this applies here but skill in any endeavor (bball whatever) does not insulate them

There's no doubt that those people exist and I agree that you can't help someone who doesn't want help. When I said that it was immaterial if there was more to the story, I was referring to Capel trying to help him. I think Capel has a duty as a mentor to try, but of course the bulk of the responsibility falls on the person who needs the guidance to accept it and make the effort.

The best thing at this point would be to let the legal process work itself out, provide assistance to the young man in the intermediate, and quietly work to find him a landing spot where he can get help. Regardless of the mistake(s), and this one was a whopper, you always do right by the kid.

This is not a Juvenile detention center or a state prison. This a a very good university that people pay a lot of money to attend. If you permit this kind of behavior, you promote it, plan and simple. I don't condone, or want my university, city, county, state, or country to permit or promote this kind behavior. This ship hopefully has sailed, Bring in a respectable young player or proven transfer and move this program forward the right way. I am starting to question Capel's method of madness.

This is not a Juvenile detention center or a state prison. This a a very good university that people pay a lot of money to attend. If you permit this kind of behavior, you promote it, plan and simple. I don't condone, or want my university, city, county, state, or country to permit or promote this kind behavior. This ship hopefully has sailed, Bring in a respectable young player or proven transfer and move this program forward the right way. I am starting to question Capel's method of madness.

The University/program takes on the responsibility to do right by the player when they recruit them. That doesn’t mean you overlook a massive mistake like this was, but you don’t throw a troubled kid away without providing them resources to help. If you do right by a kid, even a troubled one, it will reflect positively anytime you go into a house to talk to a family and sell your program.

The players’ conduct and performance should rule out any P5 school as his next stop, but I would hope/imagine Capel and the staff will look to find a good spot for him at a lower level. Hugley was a bad fit for this league from the start but if he can spend a few years getting his life in order and developing his game/body, there may be a spot at a higher level in the future.

Reactions: below0w

Lol what are you questioning him for? There’s absolutely nothing to suggest Capel plans on bringing him back.

And also, while I agree with you that Hugley should be gone, judging by your post, I think you should just stay away from major college sports... college basketball and football at the highest levels isn’t full of model citizens

Its important to remember at this point in time he’s not been found guilty of anything . How the university proceeds if he’s found guilty probably won’t surprise anyone . I do hope the university would do all they could to help him straighten his life out .

The University/program takes on the responsibility to do right by the player when they recruit them. That doesn’t mean you overlook a massive mistake like this was, but you don’t throw a troubled kid away without providing them resources to help. If you do right by a kid, even a troubled one, it will reflect positively anytime you go into a house to talk to a family and sell your program.

The players’ conduct and performance should rule out any P5 school as his next stop, but I would hope/imagine Capel and the staff will look to find a good spot for him at a lower level. Hugley was a bad fit for this league from the start but if he can spend a few years getting his life in order and developing his game/body, there may be a spot at a higher level in the future.
So the university takes on the responsibility to do right for players, but not every other student at the university. The everyday student who pays 30K a year to get a quality education would not get this benefit, I am not sure why you think these players should get privileged benefits. Also its not Capel's or the Universities responsibility to find a landing spot for a troubled criminal.

So the university takes on the responsibility to do right for players, but not every other student at the university. The everyday student who pays 30K a year to get a quality education would not get this benefit, I am not sure why you think these players should get privileged benefits. Also its not Capel's or the Universities responsibility to find a landing spot for a troubled criminal.

This is a strangely vindictive attitude towards someone who did nothing to you. Throwing people away when they've made poor decisions is a big reason why there's so much criminal recidivism in this country. Capel doesn't owe him a landing spot, but he has a moral imperative to try to and help him grow as a person if he's willing to accept the help. "Everyday students" are irrelevant because they have nothing to do with Capel. Your posts in this thread are giving me a strong "tell me you're a chud without telling me you're a chud" vibe.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Capel and the Pitt program made a huge mistake in recruiting Hugley. Now, they need to help him get somewhere where he can get some training to get a real job in the real working world, not college, and move on. Hugley needs to forget about his basketball playing career, unless he is willing to flounder in some far away league or play for some insignificant program where he won't be noticed by anyone and disappear forever. He hasn't proven that he is that good. He'd he better off finding a trade school or technical school where he can learn a trade and find a profession to make a living. That would serve him a hell of a lot better than trying to play a basketball game.

This is the real world now. No coddling these so-called athletes is in order.

Lol what are you questioning him for? There’s absolutely nothing to suggest Capel plans on bringing him back.

And also, while I agree with you that Hugley should be gone, judging by your post, I think you should just stay away from major college sports... college basketball and football at the highest levels isn’t full of model citizens

This is why, in the wake of the COVID-19 nonsense, there will be many, many sports fans, especially college sports fans, who will be gone forever. COVID had put a whole new perspective on sports and college sports. It's just not that important.

It's just like tonight's Pitt basketball game. I heard that Pitt lost. Who did they play? Move on. It's not important.

This is why, in the wake of the COVID-19 nonsense, there will be many, many sports fans, especially college sports fans, who will be gone forever. COVID had put a whole new perspective on sports and college sports. It's just not that important.

Sports are about enjoyment. If you're not entertained, leave. You won't be missed.

Reactions: TWPitt
Sports are about enjoyment. If you're not entertained, leave. You won't be missed.

You obviously haven't lived through much in your life. When you grow up and can talk about this, let me know. This stuff just doesn't matter at all.

When you recruit a player to your school, you take a level of responsibility for them. Every single coach has a go-to line during the recruiting process about “family” and how their program will look after the kid they’re recruiting. You spend countless hours building relationships with these guys and their family/inner circle, traveling to their homes/games, etc. You have be pretty cynical to put in that much effort, get the kid to play for you, and then throw them away due to a serious mistake.

I promise you this incident will be brought up by family/mentors/coaches of kids were looking at moving forward. When you’re asked about it, you don’t want your answer to be that you cut ties and threw a kid to the wolves.

HailtoPitt1985 your stating facts thats not acceptable on this site. Its not just COVID that are driving people away from sports. The tv rating don't lie. (example NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.)

It's just like tonight's Pitt basketball game. I heard that Pitt lost. Who did they play? Move on. It's not important.
Then why are you here?

Pretty much. He comes to a sports message board to tell everyone he doesn’t care about sports. That makes sense.

My favorite part is that he edited in the paragraph about how he doesn't even know who Pitt played tonight. Just saying he doesn't care isn't enough, he needs to go into detail about how much he doesn't care. Real big brain stuff. Very normal.

Well yes... COVID is more important than sports because it’s killed hundreds of thousands of people... so I’m with you there.

But overall, I don’t get your point at all. Of course college sports “aren’t that important” in the grand scheme of things. Nothing really is. But if you think about life that way it’s depressing and not even worth living.

I don’t think COVID is going to make people suddenly stop caring about music, movies, TV shows, sports, etc.. if anything, people will enjoy those things even more when we get back to normal.

So the university takes on the responsibility to do right for players, but not every other student at the university.

Actually if he was a "regular" student at the University and he had done the same thing there is a really good chance that almost no one would know about it. It's not like every Pitt student that is arrested is written about in the newspaper or has their story told on television or on internet boards. And if you don't think that there are students at Pitt who have been arrested for something and yet are still in school then you are sadly mistaken. It's just that you don't know about them, because they don't play basketball.

You sure do post here a lot for someone who claims to not care about Pitt sports anymore.

Actually if he was a "regular" student at the University and he had done the same thing there is a really good chance that almost no one would know about it. It's not like every Pitt student that is arrested is written about in the newspaper or has their story told on television or on internet boards. And if you don't think that there are students at Pitt who have been arrested for something and yet are still in school then you are sadly mistaken. It's just that you don't know about them, because they don't play basketball.

That’s right, when you sign on at Pitt you understand you are representing the University and are therefore held to a higher standard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT