ADVERTISEMENT

John Hugley

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the case now as opposed to years ago. When I lived in Tower C I had Jon Carter as a neighbor and Lee McRae lived there briefly as well. Good times.

When I lived in Tower A one year Randy Dixon, who ended up playing for the Colts for around a decade, lived on my floor. His roommate was a guy named Walter Johnson, who ended up in camp with the Cowboys or Giants (I can't remember which) but I don't think he ever played in a regular season NFL game.

I tried to get them to play on the intermural hoops team our RA put together, but alas, they declined.

I think he was a good recruit and Capel doesn't want the stigma of having thrown the kid to the wolves at the first sign of trouble. Chances are, things are actually as bad as they sound and he is absolutely done already. Regardless, Pitt can allow him to remain a student while this passes through our slow American legal system, and then he can transfer out in good standing and potentially land at some other school willing to take a chance on him.

Even if Pitt (almost certainly) has zero interest in retaining him, there's no tangible benefit to exiling him as fast as possible. As was mentioned above, Capel might sincerely sympathize with the kid, even if he knows there's no possibility of reforming him at Pitt. This is probably a case where Capel the man is doing the kid a favor even if Capel the coach has his hands tied.

Pretty much this, well said.

Reactions: Donuts for Cops
Couldn’t disagree more. We have tons of information. There’s video evidence of him being involved in the theft of a car according to reports.

Do you really think there’s any path moving forward going into a locker room with someone who stole or helped steal a car from one of his teammate’s friends? You guys are reaching if you say yes.

You would think this was an elite player with the way you guys are trying to defend GTA:Oakland

I'm perplexed with some of these comments. He's a criminal. IDC who's idea it was, there's video of him driving a stolen vehicle! WTF is wrong with people?

Sure, he grew up in a tough neighborhood but that means zero at this point. He shouldn't get a pass for that. This isn't stealing something from a roommate or getting caught smoking weed. This is grand theft auto with attempted insurance fraud. It's up to 15 years in federal prison.

My goodness people, we have elected total dirtbags (on both sides) as leaders of this country and half the country is fine with it. And we have Pitt fans don't think an 18 year old kid doesn't possess enough character to play on a friggin college basketball team? His friend stole a car and he drove it a few times. Big effing deal. Give him his community service and get him back on the team. We need to win games.

If anyone else posted this I would think they're trolling but you're really dumb enough to actually say it and believe it.

As someone who worked in law enforcement for over 10 years the advice I always gave people was be careful how you judge others. If you ask most people in a moment of honesty and full transparency if they had been caught doing the worse thing they have ever done in their life would they have faced jail time, most will reluctantly say yes.

My point here is that most of us have made horrible decisions in our youth and managed to dodge a bullet. Remember that time you drove home "buzzed?" What if you had crashed into a pregnant woman and her 3 kids? Are your actions less reckless because you didn't? Remember to consider your own secret transgressions before you cast someone else aside for theirs that just happened to become public.

Just some food for thought not condemnation.

Driving below the legal limit, which I would consider "buzzed", isn't illegal.

Premediated crime, something Hughley participated in, is entirely different than having two beers and driving home under the legal limit.

How are you even comparing the two? Are you kidding me???

That’s my biggest issue. I’d be willing to give him a second chance for the most part. I’m not willing to bring him back if anyone in the locker room is totally against it.

I’d take a locker room vote and unless it’s unanimous to bring him back then no go. That is assuming the legal troubles allow for that possibility.

it goes much further than the kids in the locker room. I don't think many parents would want their kids going to a program that has a felon on the team. It's a major issue with recruiting.

As I've been saying, he'll be back. Otherwise, he would have already been booted. Capel isnt going to kick off Pitt's highest rated recruit in years because his friend stole a car and he drove it.

As for moving in to Towers, that could be part of his "punishment." Banishment from Sutherland and where the bball players live.

You don't send him off to a dorm with less oversight from the athletic department given they'd need to keep an eye on him if he was back.

it goes much further than the kids in the locker room. I don't think many parents would want their kids going to a program that has a felon on the team. It's a major issue with recruiting.
I wonder if Will Jeffress’ dad Twitter activity ceasing in the last week or so has anything to do with the incident...

When I lived in Tower A one year Randy Dixon, who ended up playing for the Colts for around a decade, lived on my floor. His roommate was a guy named Walter Johnson, who ended up in camp with the Cowboys or Giants (I can't remember which) but I don't think he ever played in a regular season NFL game.

I tried to get them to play on the intermural hoops team our RA put together, but alas, they declined.
You are not very good at recruiting. Lol.

In addition to him and the friend steeling the car, putting fake plates on and driving it around for a week, they apparently took the young ladies purse and used a credit card as well. All of this is on tape and points to the fact that this wasn't a spur of the moment, stupid mistake while partying kind of thing. This took place over several days and they damn well knew they were breaking the law.
Also, his dad was arrested for robbing a pizza shop about 15 years ago.

That’s my biggest issue. I’d be willing to give him a second chance for the most part. I’m not willing to bring him back if anyone in the locker room is totally against it.

I’d take a locker room vote and unless it’s unanimous to bring him back then no go. That is assuming the legal troubles allow for that possibility.
Does anyone know what his relationship with his teammates was ?

In addition to him and the friend steeling the car, putting fake plates on and driving it around for a week, they apparently took the young ladies purse and used a credit card as well. All of this is on tape and points to the fact that this wasn't a spur of the moment, stupid mistake while partying kind of thing. This took place over several days and they damn well knew they were breaking the law.
His dad’s offense has nothing to do with Hugley - that’s uncalled for.

If he took the girl’s credit card, then he would have been charged with crimes associated with stealing the credit card.

What’s his Dad have to do with anything ?

His dad’s offense has nothing to do with Hugley - that’s uncalled for.

If he took the girl’s credit card, then he would have been charged with crimes associated with stealing the credit card.
It has nothing to do with his crimes but there was discussion of his difficult upbringing. Just adding that he certainly did not have much of a role model at home.

• Sad
Reactions: Chaos
What’s his Dad have to do with anything ?

Well, if your family values are such that honesty, empathy, working within the law, and such has no importance, it will not go well for you in any high profile position. (Excepting of course if you are a politician)

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos
Well, if your family values are such that honesty, empathy, working within the law, and such has no importance, it will not go well for you in any high profile position. (Excepting of course if you are a politician)
Did any employer ask you about your family members during an interview ?

Are you saying that because someone had a criminal in their family then you can’t trust anyone related to them ?

Reactions: cease10
You don't send him off to a dorm with less oversight from the athletic department given they'd need to keep an eye on him if he was back.
Pitt's finished keeping an eye on him. They just are not going to throw him to the curb prior to having the legal process takes its course. Pitt is uninterested in holding his hand anymore than they have to legally. He made his bed and now he has to sleep in it and face the consequences.

Pitt's finished keeping an eye on him. They just are not going to throw him to the curb prior to having the legal process takes its course. Pitt is uninterested in holding his hand anymore than they have to legally. He made his bed and now he has to sleep in it and face the consequences.
This is so obvious yet there’s people here who think him moving AWAY from the team is a good thing.

Reactions: Ski11585
It sucks because it just adds to the instability and gaps in the roster. His first recruit transferred and his highest ranked one didn't even make it a year. There probably will be more attrition after this year.

May turn out to be a good thing--addition by subtraction--room for more spring recruits and transfers in to the team. We will know the answer to that by next September. Too many of us who only see the bad side of things.

It sucks because it just adds to the instability and gaps in the roster. His first recruit transferred and his highest ranked one didn't even make it a year. There probably will be more attrition after this year.
There’s not a program in the country that doesn’t suffer from attrition. Now with the changes to instant eligibility for transfers they’re are going to be a big part of recruiting.

Pitts current roster would be better served with a couple of transfers rather than freshman , it will be interesting to see how this all plays out .

The higher profile guys who Pitt missed out on might be a good place to look if they’re stuck behind better players .

Did any employer ask you about your family members during an interview ?
Yes, I would say well into the 1980's, maybe the '90s, not so much I suppose in the the last two decades

Are you saying that because someone had a criminal in their family then you can’t trust anyone related to them ?

No. I said ..."If your family values are such that honesty, empathy, working within the law, and such has no importance, it will not go well for you in any high profile position."

Are you saying that the environment/mores in which one is raised has no impact good or bad on a person once they leave that environment for the first time? (See how that works?)

Yes, I would say well into the 1980's, maybe the '90s, not so much I suppose in the the last two decades

No. I said ..."If your family values are such that honesty, empathy, working within the law, and such has no importance, it will not go well for you in any high profile position."

Are you saying that the environment/mores in which one is raised has no impact good or bad on a person once they leave that environment for the first time? (See how that works?)
Of course not , but his reality growing up is unfortunately not unique among socially underprivileged kids . Doesn’t mean that someone can’t raise above a disadvantaged upbringing .

If the educational system isn’t willing to give kids like this a chance than who is ?

I‘m sure all incoming athletes are read the riot act on proper behavior since they represent the university. There’s no excuse for Big John‘s actions .

Is society better served throwing him in jail or giving him a second chance . Assuming he wasn’t a habitual juvenile delinquent . I doubt Pitt would take a kid with a really troubled past .

If he’s not given jail time and his teammates don’t object to him returning I have no issue with Pitt trying to help him out , but with a very short leash .

Thinking that a lot of professional athletes athletes that are admired and financially rewarded weren’t thugs/criminals growing up ( or even when playing ) is naive. I can think of someone playing in the Super Bowl today that fits that profile !

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
Certainly we agree on your post.

I‘m sure all incoming athletes are read the riot act on proper behavior since they represent the university

But my hope is that a head coach would go far beyond a riot act proclamation in a general sense by the university. This is where I differ from alot of posters, I believe that even at the college level there should be an element of character development and life skills lesson that should be taught. A good coach can have a great influence on the lives of their players even at this level, but he has to work at it and care enough about his players to work to make a "team culture" that has respect for the law, etc.

I doubt the athletes are in Towers
So that’s all I’m saying
As for moving in to Towers, that could be part of his "punishment." Banishment from Sutherland and where the bball players live.
Athletes live in the new apartment style dorms on Forbes where the Arby’s used to sit and is now part of the first floor. Even our Olympic sport athletes don’t slum it at the Towers or even Sutherland. If hugley was moving into the Towers, I think it’s safe to say he’s no longer with the team...which isn’t really newsworthy as we sit here today.

There’s not a program in the country that doesn’t suffer from attrition. Now with the changes to instant eligibility for transfers they’re are going to be a big part of recruiting.

Pitts current roster would be better served with a couple of transfers rather than freshman , it will be interesting to see how this all plays out .

The higher profile guys who Pitt missed out on might be a good place to look if they’re stuck behind better players .
The one-time transfer rule has only been tabled, not passed yet. Is there evidence it will be in place by spring or summer?

I find it risky in being confident the staff can find an impact player or two on the market.

The one-time transfer rule has only been tabled, not passed yet. Is there evidence it will be in place by spring or summer?

I find it risky in being confident the staff can find an impact player or two on the market.
My bad , thought it was a done deal .

Where would you draw the line? Or do you even have one? This isn’t some petty bs crime. He’s on tape committing a felony. The need to win some games leads to Baylor and Penn St type of scandals.

And I’m not saying the kid should be cast aside. Every effort should be made to get him the help he needs so he doesn’t keep going the wrong direction. And maybe that does involve basketball. But I think it’s almost just as likely that someone will let him play to “win some games” then cast him aside once he’s no longer useful to the coach/program. I don’t doubt that there are a lot of coaches who try to act as a parent and provide guidance and help. But I know there are many a shark in these waters as well.

Prison. That's the line. If he goes to prison, he's done. If what he did lands a sentence less than going to prison, bring him back.

Does anyone know what his relationship with his teammates was ?
Not sure, I don’t know anything about that. I just know in the article it said the girl whose car it was was a friend of Jeffress.

If she was actually a friend in the sense he had already known her, I can’t imagine him being too fond of the guy if he believes he had a part in stealing the car. If she was just some girl he knew from around campus and just invited her over after running into her, maybe there will be no issue.

I’m sure Capel and the team would know more about though. And I would just hope if the opportunity is there for Hugley to return to the team, Capel wouldn’t just welcome a guy back that is gonna cause serious friction in the locker room.

I'm perplexed with some of these comments. He's a criminal. IDC who's idea it was, there's video of him driving a stolen vehicle! WTF is wrong with people?

Sure, he grew up in a tough neighborhood but that means zero at this point. He shouldn't get a pass for that. This isn't stealing something from a roommate or getting caught smoking weed. This is grand theft auto with attempted insurance fraud. It's up to 15 years in federal prison.
You also really don't know the specifics of the situation. Yes, it could be bad or really bad. But up to a certain point people get second chances and we don't know if he is over that point or not. better to just wait and see. and not go all self righteous.

this^^^^^

long term impact of keeping him sets a new bar and makes things tough for recruiting

I agree. If Capel welcomes him back, it sets a new precedent. It's not a good precedent. Capel has to do the right thing. No matter what the outcome, whether he's convicted of a felony or not, don't let him back on the team. It would do more harm to the team and program than any possible, small benefit the kid would provide in the short-term. But if Capel is only thinking about what's right in front of his nose and the very short term and not the good of the program, then he'll let him back on the team. I trust Capel isn't that stupid and lives up to his word of wanting to build a solid program at Pitt.

I'm not following this all that much other than what I read here. I don't have the time to want to know what each kid on a Pitt team is doing, who they are, or if they're even on the team at this point. The bottom line is that regardless of conviction or not, he should be off the team and out of Pitt. The only way he gets into Pitt is on an athletic scholarship, and he loses that immediately. He can then deal with the consequences of his actions in the outside world.

Last edited:
You also really don't know the specifics of the situation. Yes, it could be bad or really bad. But up to a certain point people get second chances and we don't know if he is over that point or not. better to just wait and see. and not go all self righteous.

people get second chances in this world but those second chances are rarely in the same spot/position they screwed up in. a second chance isnt getting your old job back per se its more or less someone else somewhere else giving the person that chance. sometimes that "chance" isnt even the same opportunity and are given years later after the screwup. his "second chance " could be seeing not jail time and years from now climbing the ranks somewhere else in some other way.

the details of what he did are pretty cut and dry, not a lot of room for interpretation on grand theft auto

Losing Hughley and then when Reid doesn’t attended Pitt will certainly buy Capel more time at least.

If Capel feels he deserves a second chance I’m all for it.

If he doesn’t I’m all for that too.

Unlike us, he knows the entire situation and will make an informed decision.

For those saying it will hurt recruiting moving forward- no it won’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT