ADVERTISEMENT

Just Thinking

TJOlsen

Walk-on
Sep 13, 2017
I am a younger fan than I assume most of the posters on the message board. I have been an avid fan since 2006 and am in my late 20s.

I had an odd and somber thought today. The topic of Pitting and consistent mediocrity gets thrown around a lot on the message board. Being younger I have always had some sort of optimism that Pitt would one day ascend and have a period of prosperity.

The more I think about things, I wonder if Dave Wannstedt’s 2009 season will be the closest the team ever gets to that period of prosperity.

If they hire coaches at Dave's level or below, they will never get better.

Wannstedt recruited better than any coach since, but he was not a very good game day coach at all.

Pitt has not hired a very good head coach candidate in a long, long time. It is very foolish to expect your team will get better, when the guy you hire doesn't have all of the skills needed to be a very good P5 head coach.

He needs to not just be smart, but also an unrelenting perfectionist. He needs to be a very good recruiter. He needs to sell kids that his team will be the next one everyone will be talking about. He needs to hire and inspire at a very high level. Find that guy (I promise you he does exist) and you will see a difference.

He may get poached by another school in 3 or 4 years, but by that time one of his assistance will likely be prepared to take over and keep the positive momentum and winning going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT