ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Champagnie is going to be an amazing player

A little less athletic Sam Young. About the same size. Guard/Forward tweener. Can play a lot of different positions. Can shoot some but gets points around the rim too.

Imagine him in this lineup (at least some of the time). Champagnie at the 3,
Hamilton at the 5 with Brown at the 4, and Murph, X. and Trey out front.
Bring Toney off the bench as needed.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
He’s taller , has more bounce , snd handies they ball well.
Chevy was a post player -

cant see much similarity to be honest
He positions his body for defense layups dunks and rebounds very similar, but has a face up game and can shoot.

He reminds me so much of a young Chevy Troutman, only with more upside.

He'll probably never quite be the player Chevy was on the block. Chevy had such a strong base.

However, Justin is already the better kind of player than Chevy TRIED to be as a freshman, until Howland just said the heck with it and played him at the five. That's more or less where Chevy hung his hat for the next three years.

If Justin works really, really had on his three point shot and his dribble drive, there's no saying how good he can be. Let's just say ... really good.

I think he is going to be a great player. One comparison that comes to mind, both in style and in being under-recruited, is Jared Dudley of Boston College.

Good to see you!

And an excellent comparison, too. Dudley was a little better shooter at the onset, and Justin's stronger in the paint.

Reactions: Ski11585
He'll probably never quite be the player Chevy was on the block. Chevy had such a strong base.

However, Justin is already the better kind of player than Chevy TRIED to be as a freshman, until Howland just said the heck with it and played him at the five. That's more or less where Chevy hung his hat for the next three years.

If Justin works really, really had on his three point shot and his dribble drive,
there's no saying how good he can be. Let's just say ... really good.

Yes I agree. As I've already posted tonight I think he'd be great at the three
instead of the four. He'd be a nightmare to guard by a smaller three, and
as a three, a four would really struggle with him on the outside.

Yes I agree. As I've already posted tonight I think he'd be great at the three
instead of the four. He'd be a nightmare to guard by a smaller three, and
as a three, a four would really struggle with him on the outside.

Agree ... and like I said, our best lineup by far tonight well Justin at the three, Terrell at the four, and Eric at the five.

If Justin works really, really had on his three point shot and his dribble drive, there's no saying how good he can be. Let's just say ... really good.
A more complete Ricky Greer.

Agree ... and like I said, our best lineup by far tonight well Justin at the three, Terrell at the four, and Eric at the five.

Yup...I've been posting that ever since the game ended.
Glad we're thinking the same about the 4 and 5.

I think we just compared him to 25% of the players in the program the last 20 years...
I think he is most like a taller Greer. Kinda has an old mans game. Good at positioning, very few forced or bad shots. Not a freak athlete but knows how to play.

Yup...I've been posting that ever since the game ended.
Glad we're thinking the same about the 4 and 5.

Terrell guarding the four allowed his length to defend shots while Eric was still defending the post.

After going up 27-17, KSU scored only 32 points in the final 24 minutes. The Eric and Terrell post combo were as big of a reason for that as anything.

Terrell guarding the four allowed his length to defend shots while Eric was still defending the post.

After going up 27-17, KSU scored only 32 points in the final 24 minutes. The Eric and Terrell post combo were as big of a reason for that as anything.

Exactly. What I like even more, especially on the offensive end, it lets
Hamilton muck it up inside and do the dirty work (Coulibaly too) while
Brown can do his damage a little further away from the hoop. I like
his 12-15 foot jumper. All you have to do is see how smooth his
free throw shooting is. He CAN shoot.
When you see how tough it is for Pitt to get off a good shot, Brown can
help with this if we have someone else at the five.

Imagine him in this lineup (at least some of the time). Champagnie at the 3,
Hamilton at the 5 with Brown at the 4, and Murph, X. and Trey out front.
Bring Toney off the bench as needed.

I really like the idea of playing 6 vs our opponents 5. Someone will be left unguarded.:D;)

LOL!

Reactions: rrig5
Exactly. What I like even more, especially on the offensive end, it lets
Hamilton muck it up inside and do the dirty work (Coulibaly too) while
Brown can do his damage a little further away from the hoop. I like
his 12-15 foot jumper. All you have to do is see how smooth his
free throw shooting is. He CAN shoot.
When you see how tough it is for Pitt to get off a good shot, Brown can
help with this if we have someone else at the five.

Just no more threes -- PLEASE!

I think he is going to be a great player. One comparison that comes to mind, both in style and in being under-recruited, is Jared Dudley of Boston College.
That is a pretty good comparison. Although Champagne is even a better athlete than him IMO.

Excellent comparison. I mentioned Chevy as someone who is ferocious on the boards. But I don't want to limit him. This is a great comparison and hopefully it pans out.

I posted his own thread a few games ago. Kid plays with just the right amount of attitude , nastiness, and skill. Doesn't look like a freshman out there at all, in both poise and size categories. If he puts in the work he'll lose some body softness and become and absolute beast. He is by far the best Capel era recruit to date. You won't be making Terrell Brown complaints about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT