ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields is BACK and going to lead the Steelers to the promised land!

What I really like is that they keep talking about getting off to fast starts, but, the play calling is so contradictory to any of that. Tonight has been a disgrace both offensively and defensively. They have the Steelers playing pass, which they can't do unless we have a pass rush, which hasnt been to good tonight. Tomlin and staff are getting worked over by Mike from Greenfield.
Tomlin lies like a politician. Absolutely nothing that comes out of his mouth should be taken at face value.

Reactions: 303vND
Steelers won't be in a position to do much else in the market with nobody on the roster that can start long term. If you're following the narrative, none of this is his fault.

If you go back to the threads on Fields and Wilson, it was obvious to some (like me) that these roster moves made no sense. The stillers needed a complete teardown and rebuild. Instead, they ignored the problem and scapegoated a QB. Rinse/repeat.

If anyone thinks Fields is a solution, they don't even begin to understand the problem.
They need to go draft another QB and shed the wasted cap dollars on their overpaid defense so that QB has a shot.

If you go back to the threads on Fields and Wilson, it was obvious to some (like me) that these roster moves made no sense. The stillers needed a complete teardown and rebuild. Instead, they ignored the problem and scapegoated a QB. Rinse/repeat.

If anyone thinks Fields is a solution, they don't even begin to understand the problem.
They need to go draft another QB and shed the wasted cap dollars on their overpaid defense so that QB has a shot.
The OL rebuilding should have started when Ben was here. It’s didn’t and one draft won’t solve it either

Having passes nowhere near him hurts receivers productivity .
Fields being about 50% accurate hurts passing games
Another game sub 150 yards passing !
Last year George didn’t help Kenny. He couldn’t run a route at all…and that’s when he wanted to run a route. You want to know if the Steelers are running or throwing? Pay attention to George. But no one wanted to say it but everyone in stadium could see it.

Now this year it’s the same stuff. Last week a TD thrown right to him goes through his hands. Last night a 3rd down pass goes right through his hands. How would those games have been different if he catches those routine balls?

Then there’s this….his snap count was down significantly last night. I would know because I had him in a parlay. I figured after a bad week last week he’d rebound in prime time this week. Shame on me.

It’s being said that anyone in stadium saw him throwing tantrums on the sideline last night. After one tantrum he went and sat down beside a teammate who immediately got up and went to another bench to sit by the punter. Then after another tantrum he went and sat beside a teammate who got up immediately and went and sat somewhere else. He’s becoming a cancer it appears.

And it’s also being said that last night and last week, you knew exactly whether it was a pass or run play just by looking at George.

Why is this coming to light now but no one wanted to talk about it last year?

Last year George didn’t help Kenny. He couldn’t run a route at all…and that’s when he wanted to run a route. You want to know if the Steelers are running or throwing? Pay attention to George. But no one wanted to say it but everyone in stadium could see it.

Now this year it’s the same stuff. Last week a TD thrown right to him goes through his hands. Last night a 3rd down pass goes right through his hands. How would those games have been different if he catches those routine balls?

Then there’s this….his snap count was down significantly last night. I would know because I had him in a parlay. I figured after a bad week last week he’d rebound in prime time this week. Shame on me.

It’s being said that anyone in stadium saw him throwing tantrums on the sideline last night. After one tantrum he went and sat down beside a teammate who immediately got up and went to another bench to sit by the punter. Then after another tantrum he went and sat beside a teammate who got up immediately and went and sat somewhere else. He’s becoming a cancer it appears.

And it’s also being said that last night and last week, you knew exactly whether it was a pass or run play just by looking at George.

Diontae and Pickens are huge head cases. Are they talented? Kind of. But that talent comes with a lot of bad. Diontae constantly running the wrong routes; Pickens has literally the laziest footwork I've ever seen at the boundary. Both have quit on plays.

And why wouldn't they be? Is there ever any discipline? Did the team bring in any meaningful competition for them? Nope. 90% of it was blamed - and still is blamed - on the QB and the team goes back to trying to win a rock fight 15-14 so they can go 9-7 with a negative 20 differential and get curb stomped by the Chiefs. It's ridiculous. I don't even waste my time watching this team anymore. Give me Houston all day. Hell, give me the Joe Flacco Colts over spending another minute of my life watching Mike Tomlin let Najee Harris run tosses on 3rd and long.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
I agree he's horrible in these situations, but you let yet them score when you have an elite offense. That ain't this team.

That said, you try to preserve as much time as possible. Defensive timeouts, after you see how they line up, are about the worst play call in football. They never work.

45ish seconds with Boswell means they would only have to go like 35 yards, though, for a reasonable chance. Not saying I disagree that our offense sucks and probably wouldn't have done that. I just think the odds of not letting them get 3 yards in 4 plays were low. But I had zero doubt how he would approach it, as he thinks this defense is something it just isn't. 404 yards to the Colts with a 445-yard performance by the Cowboys' JV squad (I know most of their injuries are on defense, but still) as an encore. Ouch.

Agreed. Same applies to Pickett for those still whining.
I don’t honestly disagree. My issue is that Pickett was very clearly made the scapegoat by fans and media when the issues were far far deeper.

And yeah, I know that people will call me paranoid in thinking people wanted him to fail….but it took all of five minutes after Pickett was traded to get a text from psu/steeler fan laughing about it and calling it schadenfreude.

A Pitt message board is no place to find an objective discussion of the Steelers problem, of which there are many.

The "legend" that is Kenny PIckett is too strong here.
For all his faults and foibles, Justin Fields had the Steelers ahead by 4 points with 3 minute left to go in the game.

If the Steeler defense had made just one stop in a final sequence of plays, they would have won the game.

That defense was hamstrung, literally, by Herbig being injured and not getting pressure from the side opposite of Watt. Every time Prescott bought more time, it was to that side of the pocket. Not having him or Highsmith there to expert pressure killed them.

On offense, Warren being injured is another dagger. Najee is a hammer, not an elite shifty back. They were playing a guy from Harvard no one ever heard of to spell him last night.

Pickens is all they got down field, so it is especially easy for even a second string D to scheme a D against the Steelers. No one is afraid of Jefferson or Austin burning them deep.

Friermuth is a plodder, and the huge Washington is invisible in games. No fluke that Heyward was the only TE making plays for that group last night.

Prescott proved he was an elite talent last night. He made the throws he needed to and picked the Steelers apart with all the time he had.
Incredible that the Steelers couldn't even get close enough to use their primary offensive weapon, the kicker!

The team is flawed, the roster is weak and injured, and the scheme is archaic. Neither KP or Brady in his prime could make lemonade out this basket of lemons.

I don’t honestly disagree. My issue is that Pickett was very clearly made the scapegoat by fans and media when the issues were far far deeper.

And yeah, I know that people will call me paranoid in thinking people wanted him to fail….but it took all of five minutes after Pickett was traded to get a text from psu/steeler fan laughing about it and calling it schadenfreude.
Well then you counter for them to give you a list of all the PedState/Hoopie QB's who are tearing the NFL apart!

Picket was a good college QB, he sucked in the NFL. It happens. Different games requiring different skills.
He's still a multimillionaire and on a roster. Why is that so bad???

If I'm the GM, I'm on the phone trying to trade Pickens right now. Then I'm asking Watt what his career goals are, because if they involve winning a championship it ain't happening here. Maybe moving some guys will inspire Heyward to hang it up after this season. And Tomlin's meaningless streak will come to an end, so he can be on the hot seat also.

This team is nowhere near championship caliber, and nothing else matters in professional sports. We may have some nice young pieces in Benton, Frazier, Porter Jr., etc. Those guys can be the new nucleus of the team as we rebuild.

I agree with some but not about the part where people wanted him to fail. There are always kooks so I’m not saying it was zero. But most fans of any team are not hoping a #1 fails, especially a QB. It’s too big of a setback.

Do you think KP was completely innocent?

I believe there was enough smoke that all parties effed up - just to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeportPanther
If I'm the GM, I'm on the phone trying to trade Pickens right now. Then I'm asking Watt what his career goals are, because if they involve winning a championship it ain't happening here. Maybe moving some guys will inspire Heyward to hang it up after this season. And Tomlin's meaningless streak will come to an end, so he can be on the hot seat also.

This team is nowhere near championship caliber, and nothing else matters in professional sports. We may have some nice young pieces in Benton, Frazier, Porter Jr., etc. Those guys can be the new nucleus of the team as we rebuild.
Who is "championship" caliber, especially year after year?
Kansas City? OK give you that one.
Who else??
Look around, the NFL is a parity league more than ever.
32 franchises, so every year 31 of them are irrelevant??
Get into the playoffs, and then it is a crap shoot.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Diontae and Pickens are huge head cases. Are they talented? Kind of. But that talent comes with a lot of bad. Diontae constantly running the wrong routes; Pickens has literally the laziest footwork I've ever seen at the boundary. Both have quit on plays.

And why wouldn't they be? Is there ever any discipline? Did the team bring in any meaningful competition for them? Nope. 90% of it was blamed - and still is blamed - on the QB and the team goes back to trying to win a rock fight 15-14 so they can go 9-7 with a negative 20 differential and get curb stomped by the Chiefs. It's ridiculous. I don't even waste my time watching this team anymore. Give me Houston all day. Hell, give me the Joe Flacco Colts over spending another minute of my life watching Mike Tomlin let Najee Harris run tosses on 3rd and long.
Well stated!! This chit is stale as ten day old bread.

Who else??
yeah, agreed. even the bills look like crap and they are #2 in the afc. now houston is the flavor of the day but they can easily lose...

As bad as the steelers were last night and even two weeks ago, and they were bad, we are still at 3-2 and wll pretty much still sitting pretty..

of course that all doesnt matter if they cant figure out what the hell they are doing on offense (and defense)..

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Who else??

Who reasonably *could* win a championship?

Well, let's start with teams that can complete a forward pass consistently.

But I'd say right now the Chiefs, Ravens, and Texans certainly could win one. But there are also teams that play a style and have a decent enough QB whereby, if they figure their stuff out, they could certainly make a run. The Steelers are none of the above. They come with a very defined ceiling.

Like, the Bengals are in an awful spot at 1-4. But if they play to their capabilities, they could at least make some noise in the postseason. The Steelers cannot. This defense doesn't shut down elite offenses, and they're not built to win games where they need to score more than 17-20 points, typically.

Look at their recent playoff games against Buffalo and KC. It was just a slow burn to the inevitable. They can only plug the dam for so long.

I agree with some but not about the part where people wanted him to fail. There are always kooks so I’m not saying it was zero. But most fans of any team is not hoping a #1 fails, especially a QB. It’s too big of a setback.

Do you think KP was completely innocent?

I believe there was enough smoke that all parties effed up - just to keep it simple.
No, I don’t. I do think you are highly underestimating the psu/nd/hippie influence in the fanbase and media thought. Dulac is a cultist, and was more than happy to be essentially the mouthpiece on the situation

yeah, agreed. even the bills look like crap and they are #2 in the afc. now houston is the flavor of the day but they can easily lose...

As bad as the steelers were last night and even two weeks ago, and they were bad, we are still at 3-2 and wll pretty much still sitting pretty..

of course that all doesnt matter if they cant figure out what the hell they are doing on offense (and defense)..
Pretty sure they know what they WANT to do. Problem is, they can't do it.

Can't run. Only one WR. Can't stay healthy on D. The roster is thin and flawed.
They played a RB from freaking Harvard last night that no one had ever heard of. Last week they played a WR at RB!!

But in spite of that they are 3-2. Kind of amazing actually.

But I'd say right now the Chiefs, Ravens, and Texans certainly could win one. But there are also teams that play a style and have a decent enough QB whereby, if they figure their stuff out, they could certainly make a run. The Steelers are none of the above. They come with a very defined ceiling.

Like, the Bengals are in an awful spot at 1-4. But if they play to their capabilities, they could at least make some noise in the postseason. The Steelers cannot. This defense doesn't shut down elite offenses, and they're not built to win games where they need to score more than 17-20 points, typically.
They were literally 10 seconds away from being 4-1 last night, but yeah.

No, I don’t. I do think you are highly underestimating the psu/nd/hippie influence in the fanbase and media thought. Dulac is a cultist, and was more than happy to be essentially the mouthpiece on the situation
I have zero doubt about the Steelers media influence. It was never more apparent than KDKA’s Big Ben ball washing fluff piece in the middle of one of his sh**storms. And to a lesser degree old man Rooney was never dragged enough when he dismissed what Harrison did, particularly since they cut Cedric Wilson.

Who else??
Can't really call it a crapshoot when your recent playoff record is 2-7 with a negative 70 point differential. And one of those wins was an unreal meltdown by Jeremy Hill/Pacman Jones that miraculously gave you the ball and then dead ball advanced it 30 yards for a winning FG try.

2-7 with a miracle dub and another against mid-30s Alex Smith. Child, please. That is not a crapshoot.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Excuse for what ?
He was our best receiver by a wide margin

What the hell are you even talking about ?
Local sports talk radio is making everyone dumb
Talk radio is smarter than you.

All you do is defend Kenny and blame Fields on these boards. You’re so transparent. And you want to blame Fields for George’s struggles. George is part of the problem.

Both QBs need a change in offensive philosophy and more talent. That starts with the coach and personnel guy.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
They were literally 10 seconds away from being 4-1 last night, but yeah.

Says the guy who laughed at me for saying the Pirates would finish below .500 in May.

You put way too much stock into the very early regular season. I guess the 49ers are cooked! 2-3.... it's over. And the Ravens started 0-2, so we can't take them seriously. But hey, those pesky Denver Broncos are 3-2 and would be in the playoffs if they started today. So would the Bears. I say we stop the season now and make that the Super Bowl.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Can't really call it a crapshoot when your recent playoff record is 2-7 with a negative 70 point differential. And one of those wins was an unreal meltdown by Jeremy Hill/Pacman Jones that miraculously gave you the ball and then dead ball advanced it 30 yards for a winning FG try.

2-7 with a miracle dub and another against mid-30s Alex Smith. Child, please. That is not a crapshoot.
Each year is a new opportunity. Unless you're Shakespeare and you believe the Past is prologue.

Look at their recent playoff games against Buffalo and KC. It was just a slow burn to the inevitable. They can only plug the dam for so long.
Throw in the Lions and Bucs as well.

A Pitt message board is no place to find an objective discussion of the Steelers problem, of which there are many.

The "legend" that is Kenny PIckett is too strong here.
For all his faults and foibles, Justin Fields had the Steelers ahead by 4 points with 3 minute left to go in the game.

If the Steeler defense had made just one stop in a final sequence of plays, they would have won the game.

That defense was hamstrung, literally, by Herbig being injured and not getting pressure from the side opposite of Watt. Every time Prescott bought more time, it was to that side of the pocket. Not having him or Highsmith there to expert pressure killed them.

On offense, Warren being injured is another dagger. Najee is a hammer, not an elite shifty back. They were playing a guy from Harvard no one ever heard of to spell him last night.

Pickens is all they got down field, so it is especially easy for even a second string D to scheme a D against the Steelers. No one is afraid of Jefferson or Austin burning them deep.

Friermuth is a plodder, and the huge Washington is invisible in games. No fluke that Heyward was the only TE making plays for that group last night.

Prescott proved he was an elite talent last night. He made the throws he needed to and picked the Steelers apart with all the time he had.
Incredible that the Steelers couldn't even get close enough to use their primary offensive weapon, the kicker!

The team is flawed, the roster is weak and injured, and the scheme is archaic. Neither KP or Brady in his prime could make lemonade out this basket of lemons.
You're kind of proving our point. Pickett and Fields are more or less the same guy: protect the ball, get yourself in position to win at the end. It's ugly but they'll win most of their games.

But Fields is praised for it and, if they don't win, excuses are made for him - literally what you're doing right now - while Pickett was basically run out of town.

Pickett is gone. He didn't play well. Whatever. But let's not kid ourselves: this team did not materially upgrade at the QB position. All they did was change the narrative and that's why a lot of people are pointing out the hypocrisy.

Says the guy who laughed at me for saying the Pirates would finish below .500 in May.

You put way too much stock into the very early regular season. I guess the 49ers are cooked! 2-3.... it's over. And the Ravens started 0-2, so we can't take them seriously. But hey, those pesky Denver Broncos are 3-2 and would be in the playoffs if they started today. So would the Bears. I say we stop the season now and make that the Super Bowl.
I don't put any stock into anything. I just watch the games. Wins/losses in September are just as important as those in December.

If I laughed at you about the Pirates, shame on me. I didn't realize the Nostradamus I was going against!

Throw in the Lions and Bucs as well.

Oh I was just doing AFC. And even that list should be more expansive. From the NFC, there are at least another 6-8 teams I would add to the list. Like, the Eagles are playing mostly awful right now. Might they completely implode? Absolutely. But I'd give them a hell of a lot better chance to make the SB than the Steelers. I wouldn't care if the Steelers were 5-0 at this point. Winning low-scoring games by the skin of your teeth every week just isn't a reliable formula come playoff time.

In the last few years, we've played games against the 49ers, Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, etc. where we didn't even belong on the same field. You can't just expect to drag every team into the muck every week. It might be a good formula for finishing above .500, but that's about it.

And let's be honest: if Dallas didn't continuously shoot itself in the foot last night, that game isn't even close. They completely outclassed us.

You're kind of proving our point. Pickett and Fields are more or less the same guy: protect the ball, get yourself in position to win at the end. It's ugly but they'll win most of their games.

But Fields is praised for it and, if they don't win, excuses are made for him - literally what you're doing right now - while Pickett was basically run out of town.

Pickett is gone. He didn't play well. Whatever. But let's not kid ourselves: this team did not materially upgrade at the QB position. All they did was change the narrative and that's why a lot of people are pointing out the hypocrisy.
Fields talent >>>> Pickett.
Arm strength, running ability not close.
But I understand the Pickett koolaid tastes great on a Pitt message board.

KP may never start another NFL game.

Crapshoot is the philosophy of strapping your offense and not letting them do anything, and then hoping the ball bounces your way on fumble recoveries by the defense. Sometimes they bounce your way and sometimes they don’t. And that’s how you get to 9-8 every year.

Forget about Pickett, he's not here anymore.

However, the problems are the same. Garbage OL, not enough playmakers on offense, and mediocre QB play. All cause the OC to run a high school offense, which Tomlin isn't necessarily opposed to.

Their drafting and free agent signings on offense have been awful. Tomlin can't hire capable assistants, and anyone capable doesn't want to work for him. Rooney doesn't care as long as the season isn't a total disaster. Recipe for what we've had the last 10 years.

Each year is a new opportunity. Unless you're Shakespeare and you believe the Past is prologue.
Why haven't you ever jumped off a skyscraper? Does one have to fall to know what will happen?

Let me look into my crystal ball. I'm about to predict the future. You ready?

I'm seeing a vision. Ok, here we go. Yes, this is coming in very clear. Steelers win 8-10 games. They have a negative point differential but people think they're good because Tomlin says some cool guy stuff in the media. They make the playoffs. I'm seeing...ok here goes...a 34-13 loss to Houston. Tomlin's non-losing streak is kept alive. He's praised again for making chicken salad out of chicken poop. This time the culprit is all the injuries on the OL. People get on board the bandwagon again in 2025 thinking they're just a few lucky bounces from another Lombardi.

How'd I do? Let's check back in January because I'm pretty sure I nailed it.

And despite that huge talent difference, the offense is similarly putrid and the team has the exact same record (against much, much worse teams).

Just take the L man. You keep proving us right.

Pickett was always a guy who was going to lack in tangibles and needed to win by being two steps ahead of everyone else on the field. The Greg Maddux of QBs, if you will. The problem was, in addition to what he lacked physically, he was also two steps behind everyone. So... no thanks.

Fields has poor accuracy, no touch on the ball, doesn’t see the field well, and struggles with going through his progressions. There’s a reason why his record is awful in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT