ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields is BACK and going to lead the Steelers to the promised land!

and neither was Kenny.
Kenny still would be under contract for another year
Unlike fields and Wilson .
Last year George didn’t help Kenny. He couldn’t run a route at all…and that’s when he wanted to run a route. You want to know if the Steelers are running or throwing? Pay attention to George. But no one wanted to say it but everyone in stadium could see it.

Now this year it’s the same stuff. Last week a TD thrown right to him goes through his hands. Last night a 3rd down pass goes right through his hands. How would those games have been different if he catches those routine balls?

Then there’s this….his snap count was down significantly last night. I would know because I had him in a parlay. I figured after a bad week last week he’d rebound in prime time this week. Shame on me.

It’s being said that anyone in stadium saw him throwing tantrums on the sideline last night. After one tantrum he went and sat down beside a teammate who immediately got up and went to another bench to sit by the punter. Then after another tantrum he went and sat beside a teammate who got up immediately and went and sat somewhere else. He’s becoming a cancer it appears.

And it’s also being said that last night and last week, you knew exactly whether it was a pass or run play just by looking at George.

Why is this coming to light now but no one wanted to talk about it last year?
George Pickens was the top receiver for yards per reception -
Yes above aiyuk, cooper, Jefferson , etc
He ranked 20th in yards per game- in between Devonte Adams and Devonta smith .

You’re being silly

Why haven't you ever jumped off a skyscraper? Does one have to fall to know what will happen?

Let me look into my crystal ball. I'm about to predict the future. You ready?

I'm seeing a vision. Ok, here we go. Yes, this is coming in very clear. Steelers win 8-10 games. They have a negative point differential but people think they're good because Tomlin says some cool guy stuff in the media. They make the playoffs. I'm seeing...ok here goes...a 34-13 loss to Houston. Tomlin's non-losing streak is kept alive. He's praised again for making chicken salad out of chicken poop. This time the culprit is all the injuries on the OL. People get on board the bandwagon again in 2025 thinking they're just a few lucky bounces from another Lombardi.

How'd I do? Let's check back in January because I'm pretty sure I nailed it.
Sounds quite possible. Bet it, you'll be rich!
I don't own the team, but the guy who does seems satisfied.
Sounds like you need another franchise to follow.

Fields has poor accuracy, no touch on the ball, doesn’t see the field well, and struggles with going through his progressions. There’s a reason why his record is awful in the NFL.

He's actually been doing a lot of things surprisingly well while really staying within himself. It's not a great formula to go very far or anything like that, but it's okay for what our options are.

But last night he was just awful. As the broadcast showed, guys were wide open right in front of him and he was instead trying to drop balls into a red solo cup 40 yards down the field. Made no sense at all. I thought the first drive was good and then he got impatient or something.

Says the guy who laughed at me for saying the Pirates would finish below .500 in May.

You put way too much stock into the very early regular season. I guess the 49ers are cooked! 2-3.... it's over. And the Ravens started 0-2, so we can't take them seriously. But hey, those pesky Denver Broncos are 3-2 and would be in the playoffs if they started today. So would the Bears. I say we stop the season now and make that the Super Bowl.
Bingo. Some teams could reasonably get better, either from improvement in play or getting healthier. The Eagles haven't had AJ Brown for the last 3 weeks. Pretty easy to see how their offense could start to gel. I also think Chicago is a good candidate to start to figure things out as the year goes along.

What's the path for the Steelers to win a lot more games? The defense has played great (outside of last night) so they're probably more or less tapped out. Their OL isn't going to get significantly healthier. Fields has started 42 career games. He is what he is. I guess if Warren comes back he could start to generate some explosive rushes. Are we counting on Roman Wilson to be Randy Moss? Those seem like very poor bets to make.

Let's face it, this team is extremely low ceiling. Why are we even debating this? It's exactly how Tomlin wants them to play, from the play calling to the game results themselves. This is 100% what he wants.

He's actually been doing a lot of things surprisingly well while really staying within himself. It's not a great formula to go very far or anything like that, but it's okay for what our options are.

But last night he was just awful. As the broadcast showed, guys were wide open right in front of him and he was instead trying to drop balls into a red solo cup 40 yards down the field. Made no sense at all. I thought the first drive was good and then he got impatient or something.
That's fair.
Heyward just missed a big play early. Had it but dropped it when he hit the ground.
The pass to Washington was bad and missing the guy breaking open over the middle was an unfortunate decision.

That said, he still had them ahead at the end. Only needed a defensive stop and they win. They literally lost while playing D on the last play of the game.

Bingo. Some teams could reasonably get better, either from improvement in play or getting healthier. The Eagles haven't had AJ Brown for the last 3 weeks. Pretty easy to see how their offense could start to gel. I also think Chicago is a good candidate to start to figure things out as the year goes along.

What's the path for the Steelers to win a lot more games? The defense has played great (outside of last night) so they're probably more or less tapped out. Their OL isn't going to get significantly healthier. Fields has started 42 career games. He is what he is. I guess if Warren comes back he could start to generate some explosive rushes. Are we counting on Roman Wilson to be Randy Moss? Those seem like very poor bets to make.

Let's face it, this team is extremely low ceiling. Why are we even debating this? It's exactly how Tomlin wants them to play, from the play calling to the game results themselves. This is 100% what he wants.
Rumored to be in the trade market for a premiere WR. That, if it happens, plus a healthy Warren and some stability on the O line would help.
Getting Highsmith back is huge for the D. Herbig is fragile.

Talk radio is smarter than you.

All you do is defend Kenny and blame Fields on these boards. You’re so transparent. And you want to blame Fields for George’s struggles. George is part of the problem.

Both QBs need a change in offensive philosophy and more talent. That starts with the coach and personnel guy.
What are you yinzing about ?
Kenny is a capable qb which makes him the same as fields .
Fields can run better and that’s about it .
Kenny is gone.
So we will have another entirely new qb room two seasons in a row which isn’t smart .
As I said keep Kenny under contract OR resign your buddy Mason . Getting Wilson for free was a no risk proposition .

You’re trying to set up straw men to knock down , because local sports talk radio only attracts the dumbest people , who can’t analyze or think for themselves

That's fair.
Heyward just missed a big play early. Had it but dropped it when he hit the ground.
The pass to Washington was bad and missing the guy breaking open over the middle was an unfortunate decision.

That said, he still had them ahead at the end. Only needed a defensive stop and they win. They literally lost while playing D on the last play of the game.

They were lucky to be in that position, though. Dallas kept getting in our territory and then failing to come away with points. If you looked at the success rates last night, I'm willing to guess the analytics would predict Dallas winning comfortably. As I consistently said with Pickett, 17 points just isn't knocking my socks off whether that means we're in a position to win or not. Because that means that if the other teams' offense operated efficiently then we wouldn't be in that position.

That's fair.

You aren’t going to win many games only scoring 17 points and passing for less than 150!yards a game .

Oh I was just doing AFC. And even that list should be more expansive. From the NFC, there are at least another 6-8 teams I would add to the list. Like, the Eagles are playing mostly awful right now. Might they completely implode? Absolutely. But I'd give them a hell of a lot better chance to make the SB than the Steelers. I wouldn't care if the Steelers were 5-0 at this point. Winning low-scoring games by the skin of your teeth every week just isn't a reliable formula come playoff time.

In the last few years, we've played games against the 49ers, Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, etc. where we didn't even belong on the same field. You can't just expect to drag every team into the muck every week. It might be a good formula for finishing above .500, but that's about it.

And let's be honest: if Dallas didn't continuously shoot itself in the foot last night, that game isn't even close. They completely outclassed us.
Yep...totally agree!

He’s a better athlete, but not a better Quarterback. It is essentially a push with neither one being anything to brag about at this point.

As is the case with like 90% of the quarterbacks who enter this league. But for some reason, there are like 30 people - all who happen to be on this board - who can't stop asking "What if? with Kenny. But I digress, haha.

Kenny still would be under contract for another year
Unlike fields and Wilson .

George Pickens was the top receiver for yards per reception -
Yes above aiyuk, cooper, Jefferson , etc
He ranked 20th in yards per game- in between Devonte Adams and Devonta smith .

You’re being silly
Sorry bro I’m not clinging to that stat to try to justify things. He was targeted 106 times last year and had 63 catches. Adams was targets 175 times for 103 catches. This offense lacks and there’s nothing you can say that will change that.

Here’s another thing…pickens is averaging more targets and catches this year than he was last year. It’s not the QB. It’s the offense. Stop blaming Fields for Pickens’ mediocrity.

Sorry bro I’m not clinging to that stat to try to justify things. He was targeted 106 times last year and had 63 catches. Adams was targets 175 times for 103 catches. This offense lacks and there’s nothing you can say that will change that.

Here’s another thing…pickens is averaging more targets and catches this year than he was last year. It’s not the QB. It’s the offense. Stop blaming Fields for Pickens’ mediocrity.

Pickens is a #2. Period. Any good CB is going to take him and his limited route running abilities out of the game.

He's the type of dude who would probably put up some monster games and look like a #1 if he played in a real offense with a nice complement on the other side. But he is a #2.

Them going into this season with Pickens and a bunch of no-names... well, it's what you'd expect from the Steelers these days.

What are you yinzing about ?
Kenny is a capable qb which makes him the same as fields .
Fields can run better and that’s about it .
Kenny is gone.
So we will have another entirely new qb room two seasons in a row which isn’t smart .
As I said keep Kenny under contract OR resign your buddy Mason . Getting Wilson for free was a no risk proposition .

You’re trying to set up straw men to knock down , because local sports talk radio only attracts the dumbest people , who can’t analyze or think for themselves
Please explain what I am mis analyzing. This has nothing to do with radio, mr “rules for radicals”. Your tactic of spinning away from the issue won’t work here. You have been all over theses boards blaming Fields and praising Kenny, while defending Pickens and Tomlin.

Unless you host a radio show, radio has nothing to do with the discussion.

They desperately need another quality WR. They have needed this all season.
Pickens has talent, but his head can't handle the spotlight of being a #1.

A lot of WR's have this affliction. If this team had another threat on the outside, there could be more balance to the offense, and the middle could open up for a run game.
There, you desperately need Warren back as your change of pace back.

Also where is this Arthur Smith loves to use the TE's?? I guess last night he used Heyward, and Friermuth on the shovel pass, but nothing over the middle of the field.

It is still too early for me to write them off. Cleveland is in a tailspin, Cincy can't get out of their own way, and the Steelers always play Lamar tough. But moves need to be made to fix this roster.

That's fair.

In fairness- it was perfectly timed punch out by the defense on that play

He’s a better athlete, but not a better Quarterback. It is essentially a push with neither one being anything to brag about at this point.
So what were they to do?
Pickett was frequently hurt, and not moving the needle.
Their draft position always precludes them from drafting a franchise guy.
They made moves within their reach, and we haven't seen Wilson, and Fields has been mostly OK.
Their shortcomings to date have not been primarily QB play.

They desperately need another quality WR. They have needed this all season.
Pickens has talent, but his head can't handle the spotlight of being a #1.

A lot of WR's have this affliction. If this team had another threat on the outside, there could be more balance to the offense, and the middle could open up for a run game.
There, you desperately need Warren back as your change of pace back.

Also where is this Arthur Smith loves to use the TE's?? I guess last night he used Heyward, and Friermuth on the shovel pass, but nothing over the middle of the field.

It is still too early for me to write them off. Cleveland is in a tailspin, Cincy can't get out of their own way, and the Steelers always play Lamar tough. But moves need to be made to fix this roster.

My friend argued that another WR in addition to Pickens would go to waste in an Arthur Smith offense. If that's the case, I say get a new OC. I know he may have thrived with just AJ Brown and DH in Tennessee, but it's possible those two were too talented to fail and carried this archaic offense on their backs. Even activating four tight ends is a bit much for my tastes.

Please explain what I am mis analyzing. This has nothing to do with radio, mr “rules for radicals”. Your tactic of spinning away from the issue won’t work here. You have been all over theses boards blaming Fields and praising Kenny, while defending Pickens and Tomlin.

Unless you host a radio show, radio has nothing to do with the discussion.
Feel free to quote all this praise or Kenny and Tomlin and blame
Of fields .
Put your WFAN where your money is .

Pickens is not and has never been the problem , same
Way JuJu wasn’t either .
They cut bait with Dionte because he had too many drops and the last GM overpaid him .

Pickens as noted has been hugely productive in his career while making less than $1.7mil/season.

Puka Nacau is the only other best bang for the receiver out there - but he’s on IR and only has 4 receptions for 35 yards this season

Feel free to quote all this praise or Kenny and Tomlin and blame
Of fields .
Put your WFAN where your money is .

Pickens is not and has never been the problem , same
Way JuJu wasn’t either .
They cut bait with Dionte because he had too many drops and the last GM overpaid him .

Pickens as noted has been hugely productive in his career while making less than $1.7mil/season.

Puka Nacau is the only other best bang for the receiver out there - but he’s on IR and only has 4 receptions for 35 yards this season
Pickens was benched last night. Period. And Tomlin’s explanation was “ we limited his reps in an effort to get more production”.

That’s your number one receiver? Come on man open your eyes.

My friend argued that another WR in addition to Pickens would go to waste in an Arthur Smith offense. If that's the case, I say get a new OC. I know he may have thrived with just AJ Brown and DH in Tennessee, but it's possible those two were too talented to fail and carried this archaic offense on their backs. Even activating four tight ends is a bit much for my tastes.
This could be true.
It would be an interesting theory to test.
The status quo is going nowhere in the long haul.

Pickens was benched last night. Period. And Tomlin’s explanation was “ we limited his reps in an effort to get more production”.

That’s your number one receiver? Come on man open your eyes.
Pickens will never succeed to the utmost of his capability until there is balance on the other side of the field.
No WR could, no matter his physical talents.
The other guys are good too. When you don't fear other options, you can scheme to take a single player out of the game.

The Steelers shit the bed trading Diontae Johnson with no other options there.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I honestly don’t think it’s the scheme that’s the problem .

The OL starting two rookies and Jones in his second year aren’t helping the running game.
And with Pickens literally being the only real threat -
Same way the Steelers essentially could shut down CD Lamm.

Difference is they had Tolbert and Ferguson to spread the ball too

Reactions: FreeportPanther
If you go back to the threads on Fields and Wilson, it was obvious to some (like me) that these roster moves made no sense. The stillers needed a complete teardown and rebuild. Instead, they ignored the problem and scapegoated a QB. Rinse/repeat.

If anyone thinks Fields is a solution, they don't even begin to understand the problem.
They need to go draft another QB and shed the wasted cap dollars on their overpaid defense so that QB has a shot.
You're not wrong. I thought this "solution" was stupid but here we are. They backed themselves into a corner and I'd be willing to bet that Fields is in camp with a shot at starting.

Pretty sure they know what they WANT to do. Problem is, they can't do it.

Can't run. Only one WR. Can't stay healthy on D. The roster is thin and flawed.
They played a RB from freaking Harvard last night that no one had ever heard of. Last week they played a WR at RB!!

But in spite of that they are 3-2. Kind of amazing actually.
our one wr is ridiculously over rated too. to think he's a wr 1 in the nfl is ridiculous.

our one wr is ridiculously over rated too. to think he's a wr 1 in the nfl is ridiculous.
He's very immature but he is talented. He makes the circus plays, but loafs on the routine plays.
He could be a 1A with another guy who can keep the D's honest.
Couple Pickens with a Hines Ward type WR, and you'd be talking.

Was surprised the Steelers had no interest in Tyler Boyd, for example.

He's very immature but he is talented. He makes the circus plays, but loafs on the routine plays.
He could be a 1A with another guy who can keep the D's honest.
Couple Pickens with a Hines Ward type WR, and you'd be talking.

Was surprised the Steelers had no interest in Tyler Boyd, for example.
You could use this description to describe numerous WR’s that played for Tomlin. At some point, the buck needs to fall on Tomlin. He’s treated with kid gloves.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pickens will never succeed to the utmost of his capability until there is balance on the other side of the field.
No WR could, no matter his physical talents.
The other guys are good too. When you don't fear other options, you can scheme to take a single player out of the game.

The Steelers shit the bed trading Diontae Johnson with no other options there.
You and Souf sound like the people who were probably coddling him his whole life because he’s an athletic freak. What does any of this have to do with not knowing how to run routes, not wanting to run routes, and not catching the routine balls that 99% of receivers make?

He played half the snaps last night. There’s a problem.

Reactions: pittdan77
You and Souf sound like the people who were probably coddling him his whole life because he’s an athletic freak. What does any of this have to do with not knowing how to run routes, not wanting to run routes, and not catching the routine balls that 99% of receivers make?

Easy there hoss.
I've never put Pickens on any kind of model citizen pedestal. He's no Jerry Rice, or even a Randy Moss.
He's shown he has great physical talent. But, that's only half of the equation.
Randy Moss figured that out finally and got to the HOF.
Many never do, and flame out.
Pickens is too young to write the final chapter, but the trend is not positive.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

How is he being coddled ?
You have a fixation on him .
Maybe he should have played more snaps since we didn’t even break 150 yards receiving ?

Yet the $12mil a year man had 4 less yards receiving and is zero threat downfield

Maybe he should have played more snaps since we didn’t even break 150 yards receiving ?

Yet the $12mil a year man had 4 less yards receiving and is zero threat downfield
Pickens acts like a petulant child. At the same time, he possess elite physical talent.

What Pickens/Smith/Tomlin/Steelers/Fields need is ANOTHER WR to balance the field.
Pickens gets frustrated because he isn't targeted more, but the other D knows he's the only threat, so he's routinely schemed out of the offense.

What professional athlete today is NOT coddled?? The days of Buddy Ryan/Mike Ditka are gone with the wind. Today's athlete would not accept it.

Agree the TE's need to be used more. The Cowboys were susceptible to screen passes, and a TE screen was never run. Nor was there much targeting of TE's over the middle, supposedly a staple of a Smith offense. There was the one where you pointed out the ball being punched out, but one is not a trend.

This roster is flawed and needs fixed quickly or they are going nowhere.

Easy there hoss.
I've never put Pickens on any kind of model citizen pedestal. He's no Jerry Rice, or even a Randy Moss.
He's shown he has great physical talent. But, that's only half of the equation.
Randy Moss figured that out finally and got to the HOF.
Many never do, and flame out.
Pickens is too young to write the final chapter, but the trend is not positive.
Randy Moss figured it out? Randy Moss had 2700+ yards and 28 TD in his first two years. Followed it up with 1400+ and 15 TDs in his 3rd year. Pickens isn't a pimple on his backside.

Pickens is tracking more to Martavis Bryant and Chase Claypool. He'd be smart to get his head out of his a$$ and grow up.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

I’m just fixating on him in the moment because this is a message board and this is the discussion. I make a comment, then you respond, then I respond to you, someone else chimes in, I respond to him, and on and on. That’s how it works here.

The fact is this is a really fun Monday because there are fingers to point in every aspect of the team.

Offense -F
Defense-F
Coaching-F

Special teams was ok. At least they blocked a kick and didn’t do anything stupid. Although the penalty on the first kickoff of the game was the 5 yards needed to kick a long field goal. (Although that was a phantom call it appears?).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT