ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Impressing Early In Philly!

Dec 20, 2019
I know many PGH people have strong feelings about Kenny and the Steelers, but that's not what this post is about. It's about a Pitt man having positive pub (God knows he could use some) and seemingly getting a fresh start for his career.

According to an Eagles reporter:

Kenny Pickett delivers. The backup quarterback looked sharp, sharper than Jalen Hurts, to be honest. Hurts was on the money on his first two seven-on-seven throws, hitting A.J. Brown on a quick inside slant then following up with a nice sideline throw about 15 yards downfield. Pickett, though, was consistently on target. The Eagles can win games with him if something happens to Hurts.

H2P

Hey. I hope he rips it up. He looked unbelievable this past preseason also. Then the lights came on, and he was Bobby Brady on Quiz Bowl.
Yeah it was weird. He didn't lose the ability to be accurate over night, nor did he lose the ability to step up in the pocket...he was doing that beautiful at Pitt. I'm eager to see how he performs with a real OC and a varsity level offensive line.

Yeah it was weird. He didn't lose the ability to be accurate over night, nor did he lose the ability to step up in the pocket...he was doing that beautiful at Pitt. I'm eager to see how he performs with a real OC and a varsity level offensive line.
He will be fine. He may never be great but he will be fine now that he’s away from a situation where 80-90% of QB’s would underperform.

I think Kenny is a different QB when there’s not a pass rush coming straight up the interior of his OL. So Kenny is best in the off-season, the preseason, and when he has a real NFL center in front of him.

I don't think his ability to be accurate when under no rush pressure was ever an issue. It's the NFL though, pass rushers are going to create problems more often than not.
It's going to take a while to convince him that he doesn't have to run for his life or let a D-lineman dance on his ribcage on every pass play because a good NFL line will give you time.

He will be fine. He may never be great but he will be fine now that he’s away from a situation where 80-90% of QB’s would underperform.

I think Kenny is a different QB when there’s not a pass rush coming straight up the interior of his OL. So Kenny is best in the off-season, the preseason, and when he has a real NFL center in front of him.
The second part of this made me laugh. Kenny is better in the off-season. Lol.

There is a reason why KP brought more value in his trade than Wilson or Fields!

I hope he becomes the starter in Philly and he delivers them many wins over the years. The Steelers are poorly run at this point!

Wilson was not traded this time. When he was traded, he and a 4th round pick fetched:

a 2022 1st round pick
a 2022 2nd round pick
a 2022 5th round pick
a 2023 1st round pick
a 2023 2nd round pick
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris
Drew Lock

So can we please stop saying this? Lol

Reactions: Schaef60
Wilson was not traded this time. When he was traded, he and a 4th round pick fetched:

a 2022 1st round pick
a 2022 2nd round pick
a 2022 5th round pick
a 2023 1st round pick
a 2023 2nd round pick
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris
Drew Lock

Ok. Let’s just say the Steelers didn’t pay 40 million dollars to make Kenny go away like the Broncos did Wilson!

a 2022 1st round pick
a 2022 2nd round pick
a 2022 5th round pick
a 2023 1st round pick
a 2023 2nd round pick
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris
Drew Lock

Value in acquiring for the Steelers! How's that?

Hey. I hope he rips it up. He looked unbelievable this past preseason also. Then the lights came on, and he was Bobby Brady on Quiz Bowl.
The lights came on but he still had the worst OC in the NFL as his Director and his supporting cast starting with the "Offensive" line looking like props instead of actual actors.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The lights came on but he still had the worst OC in the NFL as his Director and his supporting cast starting with the "Offensive" line looking like props instead of actual actors.
Let's not forget he made alot of poor reads. I mean pressure does that. But it is the NFL, QB's get pressured.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Very true but he was under more than just pressure - he was under duress...RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE MOST TIMES!
That’s a bingo. And let’s face it, that’s his kryptonite. It’s why I fully believed before these deals were made that the top 2 things to improve Picketts production this season would have been a new coordinator and a center. And the Steelers went out and did it.

He just happened to want out of town.

Last edited:
That’s a bingo. And let’s face it, that’s his kryptonite. It’s why I fully believed before these deals were made that the top 2 things to improve Picketts production this season would have been a new coordinator and a center. And the Steelers went out and did it.

A WVU center snapping to a Pitt QB would have been pretty funny. Especially when throwing to a PSU tight end. Wish we could have seen that.

A WVU center snapping to a Pitt QB would have been pretty funny. Especially when throwing to a PSU tight end. Wish we could have seen that.
I kinda wish we had one year to see it too…just so we could see what Pickett could do here with a more viable unit. In todays NFL in a salary cap world, the Steelers couldn’t fix every problem last offseason , although in hindsight everyone knows now that they should have fixed the coordinator problem. They knew that offense was patched together in a bad way, albeit the best way they could in one offseason. And let’s face it, we saw that Kenny wasn’t at the level to overcome it. But that doesn’t make him a bad QB or a bust. At least not yet.

Kinda like how I hit every ball straight at the driving range. And then it's a different story on the golf course. LOL. I'm a great range player..

Last edited:
Kinda like how I hit every ball straight at the driving range. And then it's a different story on the golf course. LOL. I'm in great range player..
I think the thought is you can take a bad golfer and give him the best set of clubs on the planet and he’s till a bad golfer.

With Kenny, give him the proper “clubs” and he wouldn’t be the bad QB that people are saying he is. Maybe he wouldn’t shoot a 65 at Valhalla but maybe he’d shoot a 72…

Reactions: RoguePanther
I wish I could have seen Joe Paterno sh*t his pants during a game again too... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It was pretty weird that he torched several #1 units during the preseason, including the Bills and Bucs (both division winners), and then completely fell apart during the season.

I think that the difficult early schedule really contributed to his downfall. He played 2 of the top 8 defenses in DVOA in the last 45 years (2023 Baltimore was #5 and 2023 SF was #8) and the Browns were also really good (#18 since 1981). Our line let him get the s*** kicked out of him and he just wasn't effective in the saddle again. He looked like a totally different player compared to 2022, and he went from being super accurate to downright terrible in CPOE. It's hard to perfectly understand how that happened but I really believe strongly that he just got whooped for the first 5 weeks, had some shell shock, and his mechanics suffered which led to a decline in processing and accuracy.

Some veteran like Aaron Rodgers would have figured it out, but for a guy who was basically starting his 11th game, it's a lot harder to get things right because you don't have a strong foundation in the concepts and mechanics of what you're doing (or coaching to fix it). To use an analogy, I bet it's a lot easier to bust a cold shooting streak against the Hornets than it is the Celtics. Kenny played 4 playoff games in the first 5 weeks (and went 3-2).

Unfortunately for him, he was still basically a rookie, the Steelers didn't have a system to make it easier for him and he didn't have the advantage of lighting up a couple cupcakes. He lost confidence in the line, lost confidence in his eyes, and ultimately got hurt. Again, I'm not making excuses for him. Some guys get to play for a genius HC and get the #1 easiest schedule for QB (Brock Purdy). Some guys get a dude who was so bad he's probably never even a P5 OC again, let alone an NFL one, and one of the hardest stretches in NFL history over the first 5 weeks. For borderline talents, that stuff is what entire careers turn on.

Hope he kills it in Philly. Won't be surprised if he doesn't but I do expect him to be much better than 2023 Kenny.

Last edited:
So no other team could have acquired him? I realize he was not traded but there is an acquisition cost!

So you think the Steelers should have just given a few draft picks to Denver for the player they no longer had control over? Or should they have needlessly thrown Denver $XX,XXX,XXX just for the heck of it, even though Denver is fully obligated to pay almost all of his salary? What is this magical acquisition cost?

So you think the Steelers should have just given a few draft picks to Denver for the player they no longer had control over? Or should they have needlessly thrown Denver $XX,XXX,XXX just for the heck of it, even though Denver is fully obligated to pay almost all of his salary? What is this magical acquisition cost?
You didn't answer my question

You didn't answer my question
He was a free agent. He could have gone anywhere. And any team that gave up anything or gave him a penny over the veteran minimum would have been a laughingstock in professional sports, not just football.

Other than the vet minimum contract it cost nothing outside of whatever it costs to host a player.

It’s remarkable that as hot this topic’s been and how much it’s been discussed the number of people who can’t grasp a pretty simple concept. There is nothing complicated about this.

Agreed. Very few QBs are good when frequently facing jail breaks and playing in a Friday Night offense (Steve Johnsons words not mine).

As I think we've both said many times, KP is far from a "franchise" QB who can carry a team. There are not that many in the history of the game. But hes shown signs that hes good enough to win with given the right talent around him Purdy would be garbage in the Canada led steeler offense. Id add that most of us who have defended KP said the jury is still out. While the deck was stacked against him with Canada, the OL and knuckle head receivers, he also showed some of the reasons why many were not that high on him (mainly the happy feet in the pocket). I have a feeling we'll find out this year how good he is.,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT