ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Impressing Early In Philly!

Wilson was not traded this time. When he was traded, he and a 4th round pick fetched:

a 2022 1st round pick
a 2022 2nd round pick
a 2022 5th round pick
a 2023 1st round pick
a 2023 2nd round pick
Noah Fant
Shelby Harris
Drew Lock

So can we please stop saying this? Lol
Imagine that. A team that had invested that much in a QB eating his mega contract and cutting him. But Im sure hell be great with muh stillers. Too bad Canada still isnt around hed fit in great with his Friday night dink and duck offense with the occasional hail mary to GP

Reactions: 303vND
He was a free agent. He could have gone anywhere. And any team that gave up anything or gave him a penny over the veteran minimum would have been a laughingstock in professional sports, not just football.

Other than the vet minimum contract it cost nothing outside of whatever it costs to host a player.
What if 2 teams wanted him?

Imagine that. A team that had invested that much in a QB eating his mega contract and cutting him. But Im sure hell be great with muh stillers. Too bad Canada still isnt around hed fit in great with his Friday night dink and duck offense with the occasional hail mary to GP

Trying to decide which response I should go with if I want to tango with that. I'm stuck between:

1) And yet, an NFL playoff franchise - both players and management alike - chose this supposedly awful quarterback over Kenny Pickett, or...

2) I'll anxiously await the NFL playoff team that signs Kenny Pickett to be their starter when he is 35 years old.

Either way, I could care less about Russell Wilson or defending him. He might absolutely suck, and I would never claim otherwise. The people who are ripping apart are merely showing their biased motives.

I know many PGH people have strong feelings about Kenny and the Steelers, but that's not what this post is about. It's about a Pitt man having positive pub (God knows he could use some) and seemingly getting a fresh start for his career.

According to an Eagles reporter:

Kenny Pickett delivers. The backup quarterback looked sharp, sharper than Jalen Hurts, to be honest. Hurts was on the money on his first two seven-on-seven throws, hitting A.J. Brown on a quick inside slant then following up with a nice sideline throw about 15 yards downfield. Pickett, though, was consistently on target. The Eagles can win games with him if something happens to Hurts.

H2P
I think it was a mistake giving up on Kenny so soon. I hope he proves me right !

Reactions: Pitt MD and 303vND
What if 2 teams wanted him?
Doesn’t matter if 10 teams want him. Denver is on the hook for his entire salary minus whatever another team signs him for. So giving more than the veteran minimum is not going to get Wilson an extra dime. He can’t get any more than what Denver already owes him.

Comes down to this simply - wherever Wilson wants to go if there were multiple offers. To repeat to give any more than the vet minimum is incredibly dumb.

Reactions: mlvnsmly and 303vND
Trying to decide which response I should go with if I want to tango with that. I'm stuck between:

1) And yet, an NFL playoff franchise - both players and management alike - chose this supposedly awful quarterback over Kenny Pickett, or...

2) I'll anxiously await the NFL playoff team that signs Kenny Pickett to be their starter when he is 35 years old.

Either way, I could care less about Russell Wilson or defending him. He might absolutely suck, and I would never claim otherwise. The people who are ripping apart are merely showing their biased motives.
I wouldn't use this NFL playoff losing franchise a barometer for evaluating players let alone the QB position.

I wouldn't use this NFL playoff losing franchise a barometer for evaluating players let alone the QB position.

What about the teams that gave him something much lower than a 1st round grade and passed on him in the draft? What about the teams that need a starting QB and opted not to meet the very low trade demands to acquire him? What about the teammates who were trying to actively entice other QBs to come here? As some point, Pitt fans are just going to have to come to terms with the reality of all this.

Reactions: h2p_5150
It was pretty weird that he torched several #1 units during the preseason, including the Bills and Bucs (both division winners), and then completely fell apart during the season.

I think that the difficult early schedule really contributed to his downfall. He played 2 of the top 8 defenses in DVOA in the last 45 years (2023 Baltimore was #5 and 2023 SF was #8) and the Browns were also really good (#18 since 1981). Our line let him get the s*** kicked out of him and he just wasn't effective in the saddle again. He looked like a totally different player compared to 2022, and he went from being super accurate to downright terrible in CPOE. It's hard to perfectly understand how that happened but I really believe strongly that he just got whooped for the first 5 weeks, had some shell shock, and his mechanics suffered which led to a decline in processing and accuracy.

Some veteran like Aaron Rodgers would have figured it out, but for a guy who was basically starting his 11th game, it's a lot harder to get things right because you don't have a strong foundation in the concepts and mechanics of what you're doing (or coaching to fix it). To use an analogy, I bet it's a lot easier to bust a cold shooting streak against the Hornets than it is the Celtics. Kenny played 4 playoff games in the first 5 weeks (and went 3-2).

Unfortunately for him, he was still basically a rookie, the Steelers didn't have a system to make it easier for him and he didn't have the advantage of lighting up a couple cupcakes. He lost confidence in the line, lost confidence in his eyes, and ultimately got hurt. Again, I'm not making excuses for him. Some guys get to play for a genius HC and get the #1 easiest schedule for QB (Brock Purdy). Some guys get a dude who was so bad he's probably never even a P5 OC again, let alone an NFL one, and one of the hardest stretches in NFL history over the first 5 weeks. For borderline talents, that stuff is what entire careers turn on.

Hope he kills it in Philly. Won't be surprised if he doesn't but I do expect him to be much better than 2023 Kenny.
Very vanilla defenses, and wouldn't be surprised looking back if a lot of those games starters weren't playing much if at all. Clearly difficult to accurately weigh preseason results because of so many variables.

What about the teams that gave him something much lower than a 1st round grade and passed on him in the draft? What about the teams that need a starting QB and opted not to meet the very low trade demands to acquire him? What about the teammates who were trying to actively entice other QBs to come here? As some point, Pitt fans are just going to have to come to terms with the reality of all this.
I chuckle with that type of speculation when no one has seen these teams draft boards.

Secondly, Kenny wasn't available until most(if not all) of the starting QB positions were already accounted for(hence the reason Wilson came here because the Steelers were the only team to guarantee him a starting postilion). Psst...Kenny garnered more trade compensation than Fields.

And the teammates who were trying to actively entice other QBs to come here have to deflect as to why they haven't won a playoff game in seven years with one of the highest salaried defenses in the league.

And at some point, some "Pitt fans" need to understand this story isn't totally written yet.

Reactions: Pitt MD
I'd have rolled with him for another year under a new OC, personally. But he was consistently missing plays that were there in spite of Canada. But, again, I'd have given him another season.
Of Wilson, Kenny and Fields, who gives the Steelers the best chance of winning? Honestly it’s a crap shoot with all 3. All we knew and all the Steelers and Cam and Watt knew is Wilson would make the QB room better. Wilson and Pickett had the same QBR playing for bad offenses the last two years and Justin Fields is Mitch Trubisky. Think about it, people are excited about Fields but he’s a failed QB from Chicago just like Mitch. Personally I want Fields to succeed and I hope the Steelers can turn him around. But it’s really foolish for the same people who doubt Kenny to be excited about Fields.

I chuckle with that type of speculation when no one has seen these teams draft boards.

Secondly, Kenny wasn't available until most(if not all) of the starting QB positions were already accounted for(hence the reason Wilson came here because the Steelers were the only team to guarantee him a starting postilion). Psst...Kenny garnered more trade compensation than Fields.

And the teammates who were trying to actively entice other QBs to come here have to deflect as to why they haven't won a playoff game in seven years with one of the highest salaried defenses in the league.

And at some point, some "Pitt fans" need to understand this story isn't totally written yet.

Newsflash: The draft hadn't happened yet. The Vikings could have gotten him. The Raiders could have upgraded if they thought he was that. Same with the Giants, Seahawks, etc.

And yes, he did fetch more than Fields. Kenny Pickett, who has one more year of control than Fields, returned a 4 lb. bag of potatoes while Fields fetched a 2.5 lb bag of snap peas. Basically, neither were worth much of anything at all.

Of Wilson, Kenny and Fields, who gives the Steelers the best chance of winning? Honestly it’s a crap shoot with all 3. All we knew and all the Steelers and Cam and Watt knew is Wilson would make the QB room better. Wilson and Pickett had the same QBR playing for bad offenses the last two years and Justin Fields is Mitch Trubisky. Think about it, people are excited about Fields but he’s a failed QB from Chicago just like Mitch. Personally I want Fields to succeed and I hope the Steelers can turn him around. But it’s really foolish for the same people who doubt Kenny to be excited about Fields.

I have zero faith in Fields and very little in Wilson and Pickett. I honestly don't want any of the three to be the QB of the future.

I've felt completely outmatched at the QB position over the last few seasons, to be honest, whether that was a spent Ben, Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Duck, Mason Rudolph, etc. My preference is none of the above, and I'm not sure Wilson will be any different... but I guess there is at least a small chance he is in the right fit and they catch lightning in a bottle.

It was pretty weird that he torched several #1 units during the preseason, including the Bills and Bucs (both division winners), and then completely fell apart during the season.
Part of it is the Steelers weak ass, gutless mindset, for example he threw a 30-yard TD pass after a long punt return, to Muth right into the middle of the secondary 30 yards down field on 1st down vs TB, once regular season gutlessness takes over, that would have turned into run-run-incomplete pass short of the line of scrimmage-FG :)

I kinda wish we had one year to see it too…just so we could see what Pickett could do here with a more viable unit. In todays NFL in a salary cap world, the Steelers couldn’t fix every problem last offseason , although in hindsight everyone knows now that they should have fixed the coordinator problem. They knew that offense was patched together in a bad way, albeit the best way they could in one offseason. And let’s face it, we saw that Kenny wasn’t at the level to overcome it. But that doesn’t make him a bad QB or a bust. At least not yet.
Or in Smith's offense vs an offense that featured play action rollouts to the left resulting in a three yard pass completion.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The reality is , he is only 2 years into his career and many qbs take much longer. the reality is, at times, he looked ok to good, at times he didn't. the reality is, he is no longer a Steeler, but I wish him the best.

I think that the difficult early schedule really contributed to his downfall. He played 2 of the top 8 defenses in DVOA in the last 45 years (2023 Baltimore was #5 and 2023 SF was #8) and the Browns were also really good (#18 since 1981). Our line let him get the s*** kicked out of him and he just wasn't effective in the saddle again. He looked like a totally different player compared to 2022, and he went from being super accurate to downright terrible in CPOE. It's hard to perfectly understand how that happened but I really believe strongly that he just got whooped for the first 5 weeks, had some shell shock, and his mechanics suffered which led to a decline in processing and accuracy.

Some veteran like Aaron Rodgers would have figured it out, but for a guy who was basically starting his 11th game, it's a lot harder to get things right because you don't have a strong foundation in the concepts and mechanics of what you're doing (or coaching to fix it). To use an analogy, I bet it's a lot easier to bust a cold shooting streak against the Hornets than it is the Celtics. Kenny played 4 playoff games in the first 5 weeks (and went 3-2).

Unfortunately for him, he was still basically a rookie, the Steelers didn't have a system to make it easier for him and he didn't have the advantage of lighting up a couple cupcakes. He lost confidence in the line, lost confidence in his eyes, and ultimately got hurt. Again, I'm not making excuses for him. Some guys get to play for a genius HC and get the #1 easiest schedule for QB (Brock Purdy). Some guys get a dude who was so bad he's probably never even a P5 OC again, let alone an NFL one, and one of the hardest stretches in NFL history over the first 5 weeks. For borderline talents, that stuff is what entire careers turn on.

Hope he kills it in Philly. Won't be surprised if he doesn't but I do expect him to be much better than 2023 Kenny.
I mostly agree w what you posted, but he didn't completely fall apart. It wasn't like he was throwing ints and making bone headed plays. He regressed to being playing safe and not making enough plays to keep drives going or punch the ball into tge endzone.

Newsflash: The draft hadn't happened yet. The Vikings could have gotten him. The Raiders could have upgraded if they thought he was that. Same with the Giants, Seahawks, etc.

And yes, he did fetch more than Fields. Kenny Pickett, who has one more year of control than Fields, returned a 4 lb. bag of potatoes while Fields fetched a 2.5 lb bag of snap peas. Basically, neither were worth much of anything at all.
That's laughable - most of the teams you mentioned were in position to draft a QB - why give up draft capital when don't have to?
Secondly, the Giants and Seahawks weren't in play.

Thirdly, you could have asked the same question regarding Russell Wilson given you didn't have to give up anything other than the league minimum. Why didn't the teams you mentioned go after him?

Lastly, if you think the 98th pick isn't anything - you clearly don't understand the draft.

Very vanilla defenses, and wouldn't be surprised looking back if a lot of those games starters weren't playing much if at all. Clearly difficult to accurately weigh preseason results because of so many variables.
Normally I would agree but I am 100% sure the Bills #1s were out there. Most or all of them.

I think the scheme thing is probably true.

That's laughable - most of the teams you mentioned were in position to draft a QB - why give up draft capital when don't have to?
Secondly, the Giants and Seahawks weren't in play.

Thirdly, you could have asked the same question regarding Russell Wilson given you didn't have to give up anything other than the league minimum. Why didn't the teams you mentioned go after him?

Lastly, if you think the 98th pick isn't anything - you clearly don't understand the draft.

Again, why are we making this Kenny Pickett vs Russell Wilson? I've said numerous times that I'm completely open to the idea that Wilson might suck. Has nothing to do with my opinion on Kenny.

And I may not understand the draft, but perhaps you don't understand the trade. We received the 98th overall pick (and two 7th rounders) and gave up the 120th pick. So it was better than nothing, but not by much for a QB with two years left on a rookie deal.

Kenny garnered pretty good trade value compared to how he is discussed on the internet. I think the real NFL values him much more highly than the typical fan. I can only speculate as to why but generally I think teams thought he played ok adjusted for the context of what he was forced to work with.

The QB recruitment by Cam and others is problematic. I disagree with those who think it was because Kenny was a locker room problem. I think ball players generally know good ball. Wilson has a good reputation as a winner in the NFL and at a minimum, he'd be neck and neck with Pickett (and Wilson's peak was obviously much better). So in that context I am not surprised that Cam and others would pursue a QB who has produced, won, and been around for awhile. Don't think that necessarily means they were out on Kenny; they had 2 open QB spots so simply adding him to the room even if you kept KP and Mason was an obvious improvement.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
Again, why are we making this Kenny Pickett vs Russell Wilson? I've said numerous times that I'm completely open to the idea that Wilson might suck. Has nothing to do with my opinion on Kenny.

And I may not understand the draft, but perhaps you don't understand the trade. We received the 98th overall pick (and two 7th rounders) and gave up the 120th pick. So it was better than nothing, but not by much for a QB with two years left on a rookie deal.
Two years on his rookie deal when the Eagles didn't need him to be a starter. So they gave up that for a backup because they felt that Kenny was worth it.

Kenny garnered pretty good trade value compared to how he is discussed on the internet. I think the real NFL values him much more highly than the typical fan. I can only speculate as to why but generally I think teams thought he played ok adjusted for the context of what he was forced to work with.

The QB recruitment by Cam and others is problematic. I disagree with those who think it was because Kenny was a locker room problem. I think ball players generally know good ball. Wilson has a good reputation as a winner in the NFL and at a minimum, he'd be neck and neck with Pickett (and Wilson's peak was obviously much better). So in that context I am not surprised that Cam and others would pursue a QB who has produced, won, and been around for awhile. Don't think that necessarily means they were out on Kenny; they had 2 open QB spots so simply adding him to the room even if you kept KP and Mason was an obvious improvement.

They swapped 22 spots of mid-round picks (7th rounders are next to meaningless). That's awful trade value for a 1st round QB who has only played two years. Even Sam Darnold got traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Well they also got rid of Dotson who was one of the better guards in the NFL and the let Canada run their offense for two years

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
Wilson will suck and then the PR machine will blame it on the schedule, not the fact that he’s a washed up turd.

The Steelers only chance this year is to allow Fields go to try to develop into a low round QB.

Wilson is going to be bust and yinzers will still be unable to grasp why. Dulac will claim some nonsense and all of the apologist sports writers will be quick to back up his claims. Tomlin is will finish 9-8 and nothing will change.

I said this a month ago on this board. Pickett will contribute this year for the eagles as Hurts is going to miss a few games from injury. Pickett will play very well and the Eagles will make the playoffs.

I think Fields is going to see the field as a QB for the Steelers at some point in the season either because Wilson gets hurt or because he just doesn’t have it.

Best of luck to Coach T. He could someday be a politician but he isn’t a good offensive player evaluator. The Wilson / Fields aquisition is a last ditch effort by the Steelers to win in the playoffs with the defense that is in its prime. Rooney gave the head coach everything he asked for. Time to deliver

Wish Kenny would've stayed in Pittsburgh, especially with the direction Khan has the team going. Since he isn't here, glad he's off to a good start in Philly.

Wish Kenny would've stayed in Pittsburgh, especially with the direction Khan has the team going. Since he isn't here, glad he's off to a good start in Philly.
Meh....TBH I still think the Steelers are a year or two away from being legit contenders. Yeah the drafted 2 O Lineman in the first two picks but they are still rookies and will take their lumps getting used to the NFL this year. Hell, it took how many weeks for Broderick Jones to be inserted....still think that was stupid. Point is there is no guarantee everything just"comes together" the way some think it will. Defense is good but not elite IMO they got torched by a few QB last year (They got smoked against the 49ers if you recall). I think all things being equal Kenny is much better off in Philly. He has no pressure right now and can just work on getting better and who knows what happens. I expect him to play like a man possessed in the preseason....I know it's only the preseason. If success wasn't had he would have been the scapegoat again. Steelers schedule is brutal, and change takes time to gel. Heck, at least he will have another Pitt man on his team and not have to deal with the WR rehab program Tomlin seems to like to employ (Pickens is a headcase. I don't care how many great catches he makes).

Meh....TBH I still think the Steelers are a year or two away from being legit contenders. Yeah the drafted 2 O Lineman in the first two picks but they are still rookies and will take their lumps getting used to the NFL this year. Hell, it took how many weeks for Broderick Jones to be inserted....still think that was stupid. Point is there is no guarantee everything just"comes together" the way some think it will. Defense is good but not elite IMO they got torched by a few QB last year (They got smoked against the 49ers if you recall). I think all things being equal Kenny is much better off in Philly. He has no pressure right now and can just work on getting better and who knows what happens. I expect him to play like a man possessed in the preseason....I know it's only the preseason. If success wasn't had he would have been the scapegoat again. Steelers schedule is brutal, and change takes time to gel. Heck, at least he will have another Pitt man on his team and not have to deal with the WR rehab program Tomlin seems to like to employ (Pickens is a headcase. I don't care how many great catches he makes).

I tend to think they're a year or two away as well... and that's assuming they find a QB who can lead them through the playoffs, which I doubt Russell Wilson can do.

Problem is Watt will be something closer to obsolete by then. I would love to see them trade him for someone(s) who slightly better fits the timeline, but I doubt that happens. They are in win-now mode with like 70% of a win-now team. OR maybe 80%, since everybody has holes. Still, we're just not there yet. I'm glad we didn't do anything stupid (in the form of what we had to give up) to acquire some journeyman QB, though.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I know many PGH people have strong feelings about Kenny and the Steelers, but that's not what this post is about. It's about a Pitt man having positive pub (God knows he could use some) and seemingly getting a fresh start for his career.

According to an Eagles reporter:

Kenny Pickett delivers. The backup quarterback looked sharp, sharper than Jalen Hurts, to be honest. Hurts was on the money on his first two seven-on-seven throws, hitting A.J. Brown on a quick inside slant then following up with a nice sideline throw about 15 yards downfield. Pickett, though, was consistently on target. The Eagles can win games with him if something happens to Hurts.

H2P
This can’t possibly be true. Ask any Pitt-hating yinzer reporter, and they’ll tell you a different story - even if they were there to witness it.

Time to move on. KP did a lot for Pitt, but those days are over. Happy he was here, forever a grateful fan, but if he's playing against the Steelers I want the home team to win.

Too many here are making too many excuses for him. Lots of college football stars stink in the NFL. He may, or may not, but it's time to move on.

Reactions: Schaef60
Time to move on. KP did a lot for Pitt, but those days are over. Happy he was here, forever a grateful fan, but if he's playing against the Steelers I want the home team to win.

Too many here are making too many excuses for him. Lots of college football stars stink in the NFL. He may, or may not, but it's time to move on.
Nope. And when Kenny succeeds with a real OC and real roster backing him up, while washed Wilson and Fields eat sack after sack and throw pick after pick, I'm gonna not move on even more. I'm gonna be extra insufferable

But see....this is what I was afraid of. This post was never supposed to be about the Steelers. This was simply a post to shout out a former Pitt player who is having something positive written about him. Honestly a man who has had every aspect of his character and ability questioned locally and publicly. Last time I checked this was a Pitt board not a Steelers board. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks Im going to post anything news worthy about past or present panthers because I'm a die hard Pitt fan. Feel free to ignore it if it offends you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT