ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Impressing Early In Philly!

I'd have rolled with him for another year under a new OC, personally. But he was consistently missing plays that were there in spite of Canada. But, again, I'd have given him another season.
I was a big KP fan. But don’t you think he kinda threw in the towel with the Steelers?
2 distinct sides to this story, and a lot of moving parts behind closed doors.
It’s all water over the dam now, but I hope he saves face and performs well in Philly.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I was a big KP fan. But don’t you think he kinda threw in the towel with the Steelers?
It’s all water over the dam now, but I hope he saves face and performs well in Philly.
Actually no I don't think he gave up on the Steelers I think they gave up on him. They brought in an old has been the his own teammates were clamoring for then awarded him "pole position" without seeing him take a snap. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but this whole Kenny quit narrative is wildly inaccurate and prejudicial.

Threw in the towel...huh. It was clear to him that the fix was in - why try to fight city hall in an organization that clearly has "communication issues".

Actually no I don't think he gave up on the Steelers I think they gave up on him. They brought in an old has been the his own teammates were clamoring for then awarded him "pole position" without seeing him take a snap. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but this whole Kenny quit narrative is wildly inaccurate and prejudicial.
WELL STATED!!

I don't think he gave up, either, per se, but I do think he threw a hissy fit. I have no doubts that he puts in the work, but it really seems that he wants to live the high life as well. Are other quarterbacks that active on social media? It's quite possible the 1st round thing went to his head a bit. I'd love to see him step out of the spotlight, put his nose to the grind, and work his way back up.

• Haha
I don't think he gave up, either, per se, but I do think he threw a hissy fit. I have no doubts that he puts in the work, but it really seems that he wants to live the high life as well. Are other quarterbacks that active on social media? It's quite possible the 1st round thing went to his head a bit. I'd love to see him step out of the spotlight, put his nose to the grind, and work his way back up.
May I introduce you to a guy named Russell Wilson?!!

I tend to think they're a year or two away as well... and that's assuming they find a QB who can lead them through the playoffs, which I doubt Russell Wilson can do.

Problem is Watt will be something closer to obsolete by then. I would love to see them trade him for someone(s) who slightly better fits the timeline, but I doubt that happens. They are in win-now mode with like 70% of a win-now team. OR maybe 80%, since everybody has holes. Still, we're just not there yet. I'm glad we didn't do anything stupid (in the form of what we had to give up) to acquire some journeyman QB, though.
Not sure what they do unless Fields shows something. He's supposedly getting a majority of the reps at OTA's but I haven't seen anything other than he thinks he can compete. If there is anything in print on his performance, someone, please share it. The silence might be telling. Otherwise, they are looking at journeyman or an untested rookie. Hardly feels like a prescription for being one or two years away.

They swapped 22 spots of mid-round picks (7th rounders are next to meaningless). That's awful trade value for a 1st round QB who has only played two years. Even Sam Darnold got traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
Well Sam Darnold was the 1st overall pick, was only like 23 years old, was acquired to be the starter and was considered an elite prospect coming out. Kenny was 20th and was viewed with much less enthusiam, he's also about to turn 26 and was acquired solely as the backup. So the circumstances are pretty different.

The Steelers netted a 4th. Again, not good value from an objective point of view, but compared to how he is portrayed (i.e., worst QB in NFL history, no talent, team cancer, charity pick in the first place) by many fans (and basically all PSU and WVU Steelers fans) and the local media, you'd think the Steelers would have to add a 1st just to get rid of him.

Last edited:
Well Sam Darnold was the 1st overall pick, was only like 23 years old, was acquired to be the starter and was considered an elite prospect coming out. Kenny was 20th and was viewed with much less enthusiam, he's also about to turn 26 and was drafted solely as the backup. So the circumstances are pretty different.

The Steelers netted a 4th. Again, not good value from an objective point of view, but compared to how he is portrayed (i.e., worst QB in NFL history, no talent, team cancer, charity pick in the first place) by many fans (and basically all PSU and WVU Steelers fans) and the local media, you'd think the Steelers would have to add a 1st just to get rid of him.

Yeah, like a low 4th (if you go by the draft value chart) is what they got for Pickett. But that's not good value; that's absolutely awful value for a 1st round QB who is only two years into a contract. Kendrick Green returned a 6th, for Pete's sake.

You can't be serious right. If you want to label him requesting a trade as a hissy fit I won't push back on your opinion although it's not as if he could post his resume and put in a 2 week notice like me and you. But Kenny has been one of the more radio silent people on social media than anyone. Russ is always on every platform imaginable, I think being married to a music superstar actually went to his head. Point is he seems to be getting a fresh start with new coaches and making a good first impression. The OC said he likes what he has seen from Pickett throwing the ball and he is excited about his QB room. When was the last time anything positive was said about him coming out of Pittsburgh?

I used the word “kinda”., and also said a lot went on behind closed doors that none of us know about.
No prejudice, just an opinion from 10,000 feet. Said I was still a fan, but it’s time to move on…..

But see....this is what I was afraid of. This post was never supposed to be about the Steelers. This was simply a post to shout out a former Pitt player who is having something positive written about him. Honestly a man who has had every aspect of his character and ability questioned locally and publicly. Last time I checked this was a Pitt board not a Steelers board. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks Im going to post anything news worthy about past or present panthers because I'm a die hard Pitt fan. Feel free to ignore it if it offends you.
It most likely offends him because he's a long time board troll, not a Pitt fan.

You can't be serious right. If you want to label him requesting a trade as a hissy fit I won't push back on your opinion although it's not as if he could post his resume and put in a 2 week notice like me and you. But Kenny has been one of the more radio silent people on social media than anyone. Russ is always on every platform imaginable, I think being married to a music superstar actually went to his head. Point is he seems to be getting a fresh start with new coaches and making a good first impression. The OC said he likes what he has seen from Pickett throwing the ball and he is excited about his QB room. When was the last time anything positive was said about him coming out of Pittsburgh?

I'm not a social media person, which is why I asked if other QB's do that as opposed to making a bold statement.

I have an Instagram for my dogs, so I'd check out Pickett's from time to time. He'd always have a bunch of "stories" posted from that made it seem like he was at some event damn near every night. Those don't stay on your profile, so you could just look at his page and declare that he isn't an active user, I guess. But I've seen enough to know he certainly isn't shying away from hitting the town quite a bit.

• Haha
It most likely offends him because he's a long time board troll, not a Pitt fan.

Stick to giving us your "I've got a good feeling about this" gambling tips (seriously, don't stop doing it; they crack me up). I could find a rodent and base my picks off which hole it crawls into and not even go 0-8 one week. That's a special talent.

Not sure what they do unless Fields shows something. He's supposedly getting a majority of the reps at OTA's but I haven't seen anything other than he thinks he can compete. If there is anything in print on his performance, someone, please share it. The silence might be telling. Otherwise, they are looking at journeyman or an untested rookie. Hardly feels like a prescription for being one or two years away.
I was heavily invested in Justin Fields last year and after watching a ton of his games and breakdowns of his films from loads of qualified people (e.g., Chase Daniels, JT O'Sullivan, Kurt Warner, etc.) I just don't think he has the fundamentals or processing to be a high level NFL QB. His arm is ridiculous, he's huge, fast, and tough, but probably 75% of being a successful QB in the NFL is being able to make the easy plays and protecting the ball so you're not constantly in 3rd and 8 and he just can't do that. He can't. He drops back off the wrong foot, he has a ridiculously slow windup, poor mechanical continuity, and on top of that he literally can't read a defense. He and Russ are among the slowest time to throw players in the league and it shows in their sack numbers.

Seriously, if you hated Kenny Pickett, Justin Fields is going to make you absolutely nuts. He's black Kenny and instead of doing the dumb spin move he just sits in the pocket and gets annihilated. They're literally the same guy but Fields takes twice as many sacks and he can make some cool plays when they're down by 20. At least Kenny won a lot of games - in a much tougher division - and has the excuse of the worst OC of all time.

Last edited:

I'm not a Fields fan, and I don't think he'll be here next season (would love to be wrong about that and see him figure it out). Just hoping that they can get a hit in the draft (unfortunately, 2025 seems weak for QB's) or luck out on a change of scenery deal like the Lions have going with Goff.

But, as a rule of thumb, I'm not big on investing $20M+ on quarterbacks who aren't going to be much better than a rookie you could draft. That money is way better invested improving the team around them, in my opinion.

Reactions: pittdan77
But, as a rule of thumb, I'm not big on investing $20M+ on quarterbacks who aren't going to be much better than a rookie you could draft. That money is way better invested improving the team around them, in my opinion.
I feel the same, in that regard, because even if a cast-off veteran checks a lot of boxes you aren't exactly sure what you're going to end up with. Face it, those guys are rarely out there and available because everything is okay. If they're really a couple of years away, they need a lot of things to go right at QB.

My opinions:

KP was handicapped last season. The offense was bad and the receivers ran poor routes. There’s a reason both the OC and WR coach were replaced.

KP’s best game was the first without MC as OC. And he began the next game 7-10 for 70 before getting injured.

He took a lot of heat - some fair, most not.

I believe the Steelers intended to bring back Rudolph as backup to KP and sign another veteran as insurance and strong competition.

Once that veteran became Wilson, I believe Rudolph decided he’d end up third string again (he was probably correct) and signed with the Titans.

I think KP decided a fresh start, even as a backup would be better for him. I have no clue why he would think that going to Philly as the definite QB2 instead of competing in Pittsburgh with a new OC, but he made the choice, not the team.

In an ideal world, KP gets a chance to play in Philly and performs well enough to get a shot somewhere on his next contract. And Justin Fields signs a multi year contract, eventually takes over and does big things.

Then everyone can be happy all around.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
So Pickett looks good in practice! Great, he always had good quotes about him throughout practices...looked like a star during preseason as well.

Then San Francisco came to Town on opening day.

• Haha
Of Wilson, Kenny and Fields, who gives the Steelers the best chance of winning? Honestly it’s a crap shoot with all 3. All we knew and all the Steelers and Cam and Watt knew is Wilson would make the QB room better. Wilson and Pickett had the same QBR playing for bad offenses the last two years and Justin Fields is Mitch Trubisky. Think about it, people are excited about Fields but he’s a failed QB from Chicago just like Mitch. Personally I want Fields to succeed and I hope the Steelers can turn him around. But it’s really foolish for the same people who doubt Kenny to be excited about Fields.

I'm not sure which Justin Fields statistic is more impressive. The 38 fumbles, the 31 picks or the absurd number of negative plays.

My opinions:

KP was handicapped last season. The offense was bad and the receivers ran poor routes. There’s a reason both the OC and WR coach were replaced.

KP’s best game was the first without MC as OC. And he began the next game 7-10 for 70 before getting injured.

I believe the Steelers intended to bring back Rudolph as backup to KP and sign another veteran as insurance and strong competition.

Once that veteran became Wilson, I believe Rudolph decided he’d end up third string again (he was probably correct) and signed with the Titans.

I think KP decided a fresh start, even as a backup would be better for him. I have no clue why he would think that going to Philly as the definite QB2 instead of competing in Pittsburgh with a new OC, but he made the choice, not the team.

In an ideal world, KP gets a chance to play in Philly and performs well enough to get a shot somewhere on his next contract. And Justin Fields signs a multi year contract, eventually takes over and does big things.

It's pretty simple, if you were lied to by your boss and couldn't trust them- you would be a fool not to move on if you could. Especially if company was as big of a shitshow as the stillers..

Last edited:
Kenny will always be a Pitt hero to us Pitt fans. I truly believe his NFL career was really hurt by having an OC that had zero business being a NFL coordinator. He needs to do some work to improve his game. Hopefully getting coached up I'm Philly for a year or 2 before becoming a free agent is a must. The truth is he will not get any playing time in Philly unless there is an injury, so he needs to work on his game during the week. I hope in a year or two he gets a chance somewhere and he does well, but if he becomes a career backup that is not a bad gig.

People need to quit acting like not throwing TD passes is just fine, especially when his TD% is the lowest in NFL history, it does matter.

It's a pretty arbitrary measurement (like starting pitchers wins) considering it's a function of the OC, Oline, WRs, TEs, running backs and QB. The stillers put bottom quartile talent and an incompetent OC around a young QB so yeah they didn't have many passing TDs.

I'm shocked that didn't work. Lol

It's a pretty arbitrary measurement (like starting pitchers wins) considering it's a function of the OC, Oline, WRs, TEs, running backs and QB. The stillers put bottom quartile talent and an incompetent OC around a young QB so yeah they didn't have many passing TDs.

I'm shocked that didn't work. Lol
That’s really a great comparison. I mean, I’ll take those 4th quarter wins that ended in a rushing TD or FG over some arbitrary TD pass stat.

A pitchers Strikeouts recorded is another one, if he’s not efficient, only pitches into the 5th inning because his pitch count is elevated and his team loses.

Or a home run hitter who jacks 30 home runs, but strikes out with runners on base and in every high leverage situation during a game.

Tomlin wanted a QB who wasn’t going to lose him games, which is why he loved Kenny and seemed to despised Mitch. His relationship with Justin Fields is going to be really interesting, considering we know Mike is infatuated with running QBs, but hates turnovers. Get out the popcorn.

That’s really a great comparison. I mean, I’ll take those 4th quarter wins that ended in a rushing TD or FG over some arbitrary TD pass stat.

A pitchers Strikeouts recorded is another one, if he’s not efficient, only pitches into the 5th inning because his pitch count is elevated and his team loses.

Or a home run hitter who jacks 30 home runs, but strikes out with runners on base and in every high leverage situation during a game.

Tomlin wanted a QB who wasn’t going to lose him games, which is why he loved Kenny and seemed to despised Mitch. His relationship with Justin Fields is going to be really interesting, considering we know Mike is infatuated with running QBs, but hates turnovers. Get out the popcorn.

Well, sure, as long as the defense can hold 'em to 13 or so, Kenny is your guy at the end!

• Love
Reactions: Pitt79
Well, sure, as long as the defense can hold 'em to 13 or so, Kenny is your guy at the end!
Well not 13, but yeah. We can debate this til we are blue in the face but that was literally Tomlin’s philosophy like it or not. And it yielded a 78% win % with Kenny, and iam afraid to even look at what it yielded with #2 overall pick Mitch.

I’m impressed yinz guys have been able to have the exact same argument over and over for so long.
Wait til hoop season when the same Dixon stuff gets regurgitated over and over.

I’ve been thinking this will be the sae in terms of it never ending.

And if Kenny never does anything the ongoing narrative will be that the Steelers ruined him.

Wait til hoop season when the same Dixon stuff gets regurgitated over and over.

I’ve been thinking this will be the sae in terms of it never ending.

And if Kenny never does anything the ongoing narrative will be that the Steelers ruined him.
I think the only thing they ruined is current perception of him. If he never does anything, then it’s on him, and not on the situation he was in year 1 and 2 of his career.

Reactions: pittbb80
My opinions:

KP needed a reset and some brain bleach after his Steelers experience. Personally, I think the Eagles are a great place for him. If he does get to play, he'll have far better talent around him that will help make him look good. Doing some career rehab there as a backup will be better long-term for him than being an immediate starter for some bad team in disarray.

Retaining Matt Canada would have been a fireable offense for almost any other HC in any other city. Listen to the Steelers players rave about Arthur Smith's offense like he's Bill Walsh. And he isn't Bill Walsh...he's merely competent. It's fairly astounding that Tomlin wasn't/isn't under more scrutiny over that whole mess. But I guess it helps that RW and JF are shiny new toys that distract. And that the entire QB room was scapegoated to some degree.

KP needed a reset and some brain bleach after his Steelers experience. Personally, I think the Eagles are a great place for him. If he does get to play, he'll have far better talent around him that will help make him look good. Doing some career rehab there as a backup will be better long-term for him than being an immediate starter for some bad team in disarray.

Retaining Matt Canada would have been a fireable offense for almost any other HC in any other city. Listen to the Steelers players rave about Arthur Smith's offense like he's Bill Walsh. And he isn't Bill Walsh...he's merely competent. It's fairly astounding that Tomlin wasn't/isn't under more scrutiny over that whole mess. But I guess it helps that RW and JF are shiny new toys that distract. And that the entire QB room was scapegoated to some degree.
WELL STATED!!!

Well not 13, but yeah. We can debate this til we are blue in the face but that was literally Tomlin’s philosophy like it or not. And it yielded a 78% win % with Kenny, and iam afraid to even look at what it yielded with #2 overall pick Mitch.
Mitch was I think 3-7 in games where he played at least a half. Worst QB on the roster by far.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’m impressed yinz guys have been able to have the exact same argument over and over for so long.
It's not really the same argument though because the anti-Kenny people keep strawmanning the pro-Kenny arguments.

We keep saying things like "he got a raw deal here and he was quietly better than many think when compared to other QBs on the roster" and it gets turned into "you guys keep acting like Kenny was an All-Pro!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT