ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade

Narduzzi has been a great cheerleader for the program and recruited about as well as can be expected given the circumstances. The new coach bump is over now though, he can no longer sell hope and the future. He has to sell results on the field. Next year will be pivotal.

If you ask me who I would rather have as to upside size, reach, ect. I take Mathis and Pinnock. Wade is a good athlete and has ability. But not sure a 5-9 corner is a sure thing in big time football or certainly the NFL. Maddox is a very good athlete and still struggled with matchups.

Reactions: daminals76
If you ask me who I would rather have as to upside size, reach, ect. I take Mathis and Pinnock. Wade is a good athlete and has ability. But not sure a 5-9 corner is a sure thing in big time football or certainly the NFL. Maddox is a very good athlete and still struggled with matchups.

I would rather have Wade over Mathis and Pinnock

It's a no brainer Pinnock and Mathis are much better prospects.

Wade was a class A wonder. Sometimes that doesn't matter like a Tyler Boyd. But I do think Wade was not actively recruited by the big teams like the Bucknuts or Bama's or Michigan. I just think there are players who project better and Pinnock and Mathis are in that category. I don;t think wade is a dud by nay means, but he is not the 5 star can't miss recruit either.

Wade was a class A wonder. Sometimes that doesn't matter like a Tyler Boyd. But I do think Wade was not actively recruited by the big teams like the Bucknuts or Bama's or Michigan. I just think there are players who project better and Pinnock and Mathis are in that category. I don;t think wade is a dud by nay means, but he is not the 5 star can't miss recruit either.

seems very physical but again not sure how that translate into a corner at 5-9", Would have been nice in the Canada offense running the jet sweep and playing safety here.

Narduzzi has been a great cheerleader for the program and recruited about as well as can be expected given the circumstances. The new coach bump is over now though, he can no longer sell hope and the future. He has to sell results on the field. Next year will be pivotal.
How do you figure and what circumstances?

How do you figure and what circumstances?

I was referring to his first 2 full classes that ranked #29 and #38. Obviously this recruiting cycle has been a disaster but there is still some time left before December early signing period to turn it around.

By circumstances I mean that Pitt was coming off of a mediocre 5 year stretch when he took over, has one of the worst gameday environments and now all the local powers (osu, psu, ND, Michigan) are recruiting at a high level.

It's a no brainer Pinnock and Mathis are much better prospects.

This is a dumb statement shared by literally 0 college coaches or recruiting services. Could they turn out better? Sure. That is the nature of recruiting 17 year old kids, but it is unlikely. Even Pat Narduzzi didnt consider them better prospects, let alone "no brainers" lol.

Reactions: Jpripper88

We did have the best season in 3 decades last season......so there's that.

I was referring to his first 2 full classes that ranked #29 and #38. Obviously this recruiting cycle has been a disaster but there is still some time left before December early signing period to turn it around.

By circumstances I mean that Pitt was coming off of a mediocre 5 year stretch when he took over, has one of the worst gameday environments and now all the local powers (osu, psu, ND, Michigan) are recruiting at a high level.
Maryland is doing pretty well under their new coach. They have no real advantages over us in those areas. Those schools (save PSU some under Paterno) were always recruiting at a high level.

We still need to recruit well. I expect a lot better than the results thus far.

Maryland is doing pretty well under their new coach. They have no real advantages over us in those areas. Those schools (save PSU some under Paterno) were always recruiting at a high level.

We still need to recruit well. I expect a lot better than the results thus far.
They just lost to Rutgers. If they do not win games, then who cares where their recruiting classes are ranked.

Reactions: pbrad and Chad40301
This is a dumb statement shared by literally 0 college coaches or recruiting services. Could they turn out better? Sure. That is the nature of recruiting 17 year old kids, but it is unlikely. Even Pat Narduzzi didnt consider them better prospects, let alone "no brainers" lol.

Ohh idk?? I see Mathis and Pinnock playing solid and contributing every week while Wade either isn't playing or is getting torched.
You can throw recruiting stars out the window at this point, it's time to put up or shut up Pinnock and Mathis have done that while Wade hasn't.

Ohh idk?? I see Mathis and Pinnock playing solid and contributing every week while Wade either isn't playing or is getting torched.
You can throw recruiting stars out the window at this point, it's time to put up or shut up Pinnock and Mathis have done that while Wade hasn't.

I hope you’re right in the end, but you do realize that Wade has had way better results on the field so far compared to Mathis and Pinnock right?

Wade has 17 tackles and 2 passes defended while Mathis and Pinnock have COMBINED for 3 and 1.

It’s very early of course, but so far Wade has been far and away the better player on the field.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Wade has 17 tackles and 2 passes defended. Mathis&Pinnock have combined for 3 tackles and 1 pass breakup.....

Wade has 17 tackles and 2 passes defended. Mathis&Pinnock have combined for 3 tackles and 1 pass breakup.....

Wade has gotten torched several times that ive seen. QBs go at him because it's a physical mismatch with him being so incredibly tiny. I'd go at him too... easy completions all day.

While Pinnock and Mathis have been solid. They aren't getting tackles or passes defended because they obviously have their man covered up.

Reactions: FireballZ
Wade has gotten torched several times that ive seen. QBs go at him because it's a physical mismatch with him being so incredibly tiny. I'd go at him too... easy completions all day.

While Pinnock and Mathis have been solid. They aren't getting tackles or passes defended because they obviously have their man covered up.

Not sure this is worth continuing but Jason Pinnock was the 1437 ranked recruit. He has played sparingly in parts of 3 games for the 90th ranked defense in the country. Lamont Wade is a 5star recruit who is contributing much more to a much better defense. I know you hate Penn State but no point in being purposely obtuse.

Not sure this is worth continuing but Jason Pinnock was the 1437 ranked recruit. He has played sparingly in parts of 3 games for the 90th ranked defense in the country. Lamont Wade is a 5star recruit who is contributing much more to a much better defense. I know you hate Penn State but no point in being purposely obtuse.

Idk?? I see Wade has been getting torched all year, while Pinnock and Mathis have actually covered their guys?
And again.. recruiting ranking don't matter at this point. All you have to do is watch both players perfrom this year and its easy to see Wade is far behind our freshman duo.

Pinnock offered by ND. Mathis was a commit to South Carolina. Not exactly bad programs. Wade however went to TN and they weren't impressed. Ohio State quit recruiting him and Michigan shut it down as well. He was not highly rated by ESPN and made the top 300. The nits lost Reid and they have been torched by marginal QB's the last two weeks. Wade is young, but I don't see him as a stalwart for the nits.

First off

Wade is not 5 foot 9 inches unless you put lifts in his shoes

The reason Coach Smith, former Gateway HC, is on staff at PSU partly is his connections to the area. He brought in these two recruits

Tony Gibson is a slick, dirty and excellent recruiter. He brought in the quip players

Despite these two coaches we almost landed both players. I still think we would have landed the RB from woodland hills if Chaney was still OC. He was building a great relationship. There were too many people in Wades ear that were pro PSU. We were not winning that battle. Also, Hudson was better off leaving the area

You can't win them all and we did get Whitehead, Hamlin, Ford, Wheeler, etc.

You know something... There seems to be a negative vibe to all of your posts... Now you're referencing recruiting rankings.... What next? Attendance???? I smell a rat....

They also have been devastated by injuries at the QB position. I definitely see improvement with the Maryland program moving forward.
Time will tell. I hope they do well and become a thorn in PS’s side.

Speaking of injuries, suspensions, etc. Pitt has been dealing with more than their fair share.

Are the # of tackles made by a CB a stat that you want to be crowing about? If a CB is making tackles, it usually means one of two things...

Yep... Wade gets picked on because his guy always open.. easy completions.

Wade is a physical presence. That said, his attributes do not translate all that well to the college game. His speed is questionable and his height is flat out, a problem. How many 5' 8 1/2" inch corners or safeties do you remember being all-americans or pro-bowlers at the next level. It just doesn't happen. He should never have been rated 5 stars. He is not big enough to play linebacker. He doesn't have the overall speed and shiftiness needed to play slot receiver. Just to be clear, I wanted Pitt to get him, if for nothing else, recruiting momentum and perception. However, I remember questioning what position would best suit him and frankly, I do think the pedophiles will settle on safety as his best spot. That said, Franklin the used car salesman, seems to be able to lure some of the best highschool talent to the cow pasture. To me, I think it is likely that they will find a safety with the proper measurables to unseat him, and he will likely spend the rest of his career pulling spot duty at several different positions. But hey, who knows? Maybe he will wind up being the miniature version of Ronnie Lott.

Durkin is 10-12 at Maryland.
Narduzzi was 16-10 after 2 seasons at Pitt.

Wins on the field are what matter.
Sure, but Durkin's team/program he inherited was much worse and we are now 4-5 in year 3. What do you think our record would have been last year if Nathan Peterman was hurt in the season opener and we had to play our 4th string QB?

And wouldn't the better record make it easier to sell yourself and program to the class of 2018?

Bottomline is these are just excuses. We have to coach better and recruit better or we aren't going to be better than a below average program.

Sure, but Durkin's team/program he inherited was much worse and we are now 4-5 in year 3. What do you think our record would have been last year if Nathan Peterman was hurt in the season opener and we had to play our 4th string QB?

And wouldn't the better record make it easier to sell yourself and program to the class of 2018?

Bottomline is these are just excuses. We have to coach better and recruit better or we aren't going to be better than a below average program.
Yes I want to be Maryland (today)!!! What a joke Jp. Stop chasing shinny cat toys (recruiting rankings and the latest coach who looks like a hot property). It's not that complicated-program stability, good coaching and classes that average about 3 stars (or better). We have all 3.

Vital

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Edsall was 16-16 the previous 3 years. Almost identical to Chryst’s record. The bottom line is Narduzzi has won more games and has a better winning % than Durkin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT