ADVERTISEMENT

Landing the Diaz Twins Changes Perspective

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Landing the twins should have changed prospects for completing the roster for the better because---

1. It makes a winning season (OOC + ACC combined) appear possible and perhaps even probable. Capel & Co. can sell that possibility now.

2. Capel can even suggest based on 1 that he may no longer be a lame duck.

3. The corrolary to the above is that other teams have a weaker position in arguing the opposite in their sales pitch to recruits Pitt is also recruiting.

4. Finally, in this era when anyone can transfer at will, recruits don't need to worry about being stuck at Pitt (or any school) if things don't work out as they had hoped.

So, filling the roster from this point with players who can be a positive should be likely.

Have to wait and see of course.

Personally, just want Pitt to again be a winner and don't care whether it is under Capel or someone else.

Landing the twins should have changed prospects for completing the roster for the better because---

1. It makes a winning season (OOC + ACC combined) appear possible and perhaps even probable. Capel & Co. can sell that possibility now.

3. The corrolary to the above is that other teams have a weaker position in arguing the opposite in their sales pitch to recruits Pitt is also recruiting.

4. Finally, in this era when anyone can transfer at will, recruits don't need to worry about being stuck at Pitt (or any school) if things don't work out as they had hoped.

So, filling the roster from this point with players who can be a positive should be likely.

Personally, just want Pitt to again be a winner and don't care whether it is under Capel or someone else.

More than anything else- He needs to piece together a year of progress in the win column.

More than anything else- He needs to piece together a year of progress in the win column.
An overall winning season with close to a .500 in conference performance will most assuredly keep him in place .

Also

If the roster shows potential for future growth and the incoming freshman are good additions he’s got nothing to be concerned about with retaining his job .

Pitt doesn’t want to pay him to leave and to replace him with anyone that could generate any buzz won’t be so easy in a financially responsible manner .

Reactions: Parkview57
I generally agree, but…
Let’s say the twins have good years. Watching their film again has convinced me that they have the talent to be good right away.
In he old old days, like five years ago, their freshman year success would’ve put the program in a good spot going forward. But now? They early success will most certainly position them to be poached by other programs. They’re not one and done (to the NBA) types but could easily be one and transfer guys. Sad, but possibly true.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I generally agree, but…
Let’s say the twins have good years. Watching their film again has convinced me that they have the talent to be good right away.
In he old old days, like five years ago, their freshman year success would’ve put the program in a good spot going forward. But now? They early success will most certainly position them to be poached by other programs. They’re not one and done (to the NBA) types but could easily be one and transfer guys. Sad, but possibly true.
Can you provide a link to video of their play? Would appreciate it.
Thanks.

I'm withholding judgement on these 2 twins and all of Capel's recruits because they are....well, Capel's recruits. I don't trust anything he does. Let's see what they can actually do during an entire season.

I'm withholding judgement on these 2 twins and all of Capel's recruits because they are....well, Capel's recruits. I don't trust anything he does. Let's see what they can actually do during an entire season.
"I'm with holding
judgement on these
2 twins." until as
usual, I actually see
them on the floor
and playing in real
time. The same holds
true for all the other
transfer/recruits.

One thing we do have
now is height. I haven't
seen any of them, but
my guess is we are now
getting average talent
to mix with average
talent in Burton and
Sibande, along with well
above average in Hugley.
I don't know if there's a
Gueye talent in this group,
but IMO it has a good
chance to surpass the
likes of Payton, Collier,
and Amadason. There are
two schollies available. I'd
be elated if Capel can land
an outside threat, and a
real pg. We'll see.

Last edited:
I generally agree, but…

That's the reality of college athletics anymore. Not a chance of much roster consistency unless you're one of a handful of top teams. Makes it a little more difficult to care about.

Finally watched some video of the twins playing.

At a minimum we have two Mo Guyue types added, IMHO. With their ball skills we might have much more.

They trained with Pau Gasol academy before going to IMG. Neither of these guys are stiffs. Each appears more like a 3 than a 4 or 5 in style of play.
I hope you're right about
what they actually can do.
We'll see for sure in real
time. If what you saw is
true, it'll help for certain.
Regardless though, they'll
have to help on the inside
to lighten the load on
Hugley who can't go
through another season
being double teamed.

Right now, we appear to
be better than a month
ago. How much better than
the team that finished last
season remains to be seen.
IMO we have Hugley and
several players of average
D1 talent. If Capel can land
two players of above average,
we will be better IMO.

The program is due a little luck. I know most everyone has given up on HCJC and staff. I think their is hope and let's see if we can land a shooter or point with these last couple ships. Perhaps this is the year the program takes a little leap forward, it is a few years overdue already.

Also looked at some highlight film of Fede Federicko, the 6-11 JUCO. His film shows a guy whose game is entirely low blocks--dunks, layins, blocks. But, he does appear to be agile and seems to have decent hops. Probably/possibly better than Amadsun but his only position is center. He doesn't have the ball skills that the twins show. He is probably/possibly good for giving Hugley and/or one of the twins a breather down in the low post.

Also looked at some highlight film of Fede Federicko, the 6-11 JUCO. His film shows a guy whose game is entirely low blocks--dunks, layins, blocks. But, he does appear to be agile and seems to have decent hops. Probably/possibly better than Amadsun but his only position is center. He doesn't have the ball skills that the twins show. He is probably/possibly good for giving Hugley and/or one of the twins a breather down in the low post.
Better than Amadsun is
a pretty low bar, however
if he's better than Collier
that would be a good thing.
I have to believe someone,
(maybe one of the twins)
will be available to also
play inside to take the
double team pressure of
of Hugley. Subbing for
Hugley we can do, but
playing with him on the
inside is a real need.

Finally watched some video of the twins playing.

At a minimum we have two Mo Guyue types added, IMHO. With their ball skills we might have much more.

They trained with Pau Gasol academy before going to IMG. Neither of these guys are stiffs. Each appears more like a 3 than a 4 or 5 in style of play.

What's funny is On3 will have Pitt's class as fringe top 25 class once they have an update.

I generally agree, but…
I think that you have it right. A good year, NIL can set in. Surprisingl, Hugley wasn’t poached.

I appreciate the positivity of the thoughts here. However, I do wish I shared the thoughts of many who feel that the Diaz twins will have a larger immediate impact. The people I've talked to see them a little more as projects. Nonetheless, your point is more about their overall value in being added to the roster, and our roster is certainly better today with them than without them.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. I assume the relationship between Lyke and Capel isn't great if an Nit berth would get him fired. The NIT would be a vast improvement.

Just that I believe quite certainly it will take more than "just" a winning season for Capel to keep his job for year six.
Yep. Exactly what I've been saying. He needs to make the NCAAT or return enough key players that makes the NCAAT almost a foregone conclusion. Example: he wins the NIT and returns 4 starters.

Just that I believe quite certainly it will take more than "just" a winning season for Capel to keep his job for year six.
If the program
My understanding of the situation is that this is not the case.
I appreciate that you have access to people that most on here don’t , but what you’re saying is that JC is a dead man walking . Pitt has been in the ACC for 9 seasons and only once in their first season in the ACC did they play better than .500 ball. They followed that up with a 9-9 record and have had losing seasons ever sense . It would be unrealistic to believe that Pitt could win more than 9 conference games next season and if they did JC should be a candidate for coach of the year not fired.

It seems to me that any coach current or future the benchmark of success should be .500 or better , those expecting the glory days of the BE and championships are living in a fantasy land .

I’d have personally moved on from JC by now if it was up to me , but it’s not my money nor my decision . My biggest concern is that Pitts job ( other than the paycheck) is so unattractive they’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who could move the needle for the amount of money they’re willing to invest in a program that has virtually no fan support .

I believe what DT is inferring is that Capel would already be gone if the buyout wasn't so high. Lyke probably didn't have the permission to fire with the buyout. However if the buyout is much lower as has been reported he is a dead man walking. This team isn't making the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: Farnox and gary2
In today’s open market you can turnaround a basketball program quicker than ever before if you make the right hire. NIT or better by year 3 is the bar.

If the program

I appreciate that you have access to people that most on here don’t , but what you’re saying is that JC is a dead man walking . Pitt has been in the ACC for 9 seasons and only once in their first season in the ACC did they play better than .500 ball. They followed that up with a 9-9 record and have had losing seasons ever sense . It would be unrealistic to believe that Pitt could win more than 9 conference games next season and if they did JC should be a candidate for coach of the year not fired.

It seems to me that any coach current or future the benchmark of success should be .500 or better , those expecting the glory days of the BE and championships are living in a fantasy land .

I’d have personally moved on from JC by now if it was up to me , but it’s not my money nor my decision . My biggest concern is that Pitts job ( other than the paycheck) is so unattractive they’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who could move the needle for the amount of money they’re willing to invest in a program that has virtually no fan support .

Your points are well taken. First order of business however, would be actually having a .500 ACC season, and I don't feel we are close to that point with the roster we have today.

Your points are well taken. First order of business however, would be actually having a .500 ACC season, and I don't feel we are close to that point with the roster we have today.
My realistic hope is the roster will be good enough to keep me interested to the point I have something to watch in the winter. Then, when Pitt wins 14 games or whatever, a change is made and we have a new coach to get behind. That's pretty much where I'm at with things.

I agree with basically making Capel get to the NCAAT or just miss it to keep his job…. But if that’s what it’s going to take, it just seems so silly the two parties couldn’t find a way to just end this after last season.

I thought maybe when he was back it was pretty much a sure thing he’d get 2 more years as long as this upcoming one wasn’t a disaster.

If we’re going to fire him after next season, this just all seems pointless and going through the motions.

I agree with basically making Capel get to the NCAAT or just miss it to keep his job…. But if that’s what it’s going to take, it just seems so silly the two parties couldn’t find a way to just end this after last season.

I thought maybe when he was back it was pretty much a sure thing he’d get 2 more years as long as this upcoming one wasn’t a disaster.

If we’re going to fire him after next season, this just all seems pointless and going through the motions.
My thoughts as well

Wow. Thanks for the reply. I assume the relationship between Lyke and Capel isn't great if an Nit berth would get him fired. The NIT would be a vast improvement.

Getting to 0.500 overall would be a vast improvement.

It just sounds like there's more to the Capel situation than just wins and losses. Maybe if he got us to a high seed in the NCAAT, that might change the outlook. But with the marginal players we have and with the rest of the ACC improving, that's not realistic at all.

Agree. This season will just be going through the motions, as you said. I think Lyke has been looking for a replacement for a while.

That's the reality of college athletics anymore. Not a chance of much roster consistency unless you're one of a handful of top teams. Makes it a little more difficult to care about.
Not really, if they changed the roster 90% every year and always won 20 games and made the tournament, it would be just as easy to care about as before, the results and entertainment value would make me "care"

Not really, if they changed the roster 90% every year and always won 20 games and made the tournament, it would be just as easy to care about as before, the results and entertainment value would make me "care"

I prefer a team with consistency and player and team identities. You can't get that with the transfer portal. That's why, at least with the awful results we've had the last 6 years and with this staff and transfers, fans just aren't all that interested in Pitt basketball. Just look at the butts in the seats at The Pete. That's proof.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT