ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Go Narduzzi, We Need to Start Seeing More Players Drafted

Yeah true. Maybe a few Undrafted FA's will stick with the teams.

Hopefully Ffrench can help his stock with the addition of Whipple. Maybe the Grad Transfer from Rutgers, Nakia Griffin-Stewart can get some stats. Besides the DB's and the receivers, maybe Rashad Weaver "could" blow up in his RS Jr season. Double digit sacks and TFL's.

There is slight truth to this, but keep in mind where this senior class of (8,9,10 guys. I forget) was when narduzzi was hired. We have that transition year where guys transfer with the coaching change. Although his record isnt great, it is far from horrible. The next two years will tell us more about narduzzi than anything else. So yes, I agree with the premise that only 1 5th round draftee is not good enough, but this years senior class needs to be looked at slightly differently

Ya know, I have seen a lot of Pitt players drafted and be wildly successful in the NFL. I would prefer to see more Pitt team success on the collegiate level than Pitt individual success on the next level.
Less high level elite recruits but deeper recruiting class should (in theory) make this happen.

Ya know, I have seen a lot of Pitt players drafted and be wildly successful in the NFL. I would prefer to see more Pitt team success on the collegiate level than Pitt individual success on the next level.
Exactly.

I'm always glad to see a Pitt player get the opportunity to fulfill a dream to play in the pros, but I'm a Pitt football fan, not an NFL fan.

The next two years will tell us more about narduzzi than anything else

But we already know two things:
1. He and his staff need to recruit better ( Even though this is an opinion, I would bet he agrees)
2. Pitt won the Coastal with a team that had only one player drafted.

Totally agree. The better we are, the more players I believe will have a chance to play at the next level.

David hale tweeted out that players from each acc drafted over the last 4 years.

Pitt was tied for 6th in the acc with 10. Fsu was 2nd with 14. Clemson was 1st with 24.

Even "the "hoopie" doing the weather on KDKA over the weekend was laughing that WVU had 5 players drafted compared to PITT's one.

Tallest midget down the year-
Demonstrated by throwing for 9 total yards against Clemson and losing yet another bowl game
Well let's be honest (since today is the day of honesty for Pitt fans), you finish with 7 wins......and 7 losses, perhaps it is good that you only had one guy drafted. Because if you had a lot of guys picked, that means talented seniors and upper classmen completely crapped the bed.

Reactions: jaebree422
TN,Nebraska didn’t have any picks this year and I think Texas had like one player drafted

Often in the past, we'd only get one or two drafted but the alarm in that was blunted by the fact it included a high profile player drafted highly, such as a Donald.

To get only one player drafted, and at 152 or whatever, is sobering.

But does anyone who watched this team expect there should have been more? Outside of maybe Hall? And earlier?

And who do we see getting drafted next year from the current team?

It's nice and nostalgic to see Pitt players drafted in the NFL, but the most relevance in that is that the more of them that are is indicative of having had a really good team that previous season. Having few or none is a reminder that we didn't have such a great team, but hardly a surprise.

Narduzzi isn't the answer, he and his staff can't recruit and I don't see anything changing. He talked a good game but when you recruit mostly 3 stars with a few 2's and are lucky to get 1 four star guy a class, is it any wonder nobody is getting drafted from Pitt? Or is it any wonder his team's are mediocre at best and keep losing their bad bowl game? Time for him to go.

Right, I'd rather have a 10 win season and nobody drafted. I don't care what they do after they leave Pitt, unless they play for the Steelers. Fitz, Shady and Aaron Donald are awesome in the NFL but I care very little because I'm not a fan of their teams.

There is slight truth to this, but keep in mind where this senior class of (8,9,10 guys. I forget) was when narduzzi was hired. We have that transition year where guys transfer with the coaching change. Although his record isnt great, it is far from horrible. The next two years will tell us more about narduzzi than anything else. So yes, I agree with the premise that only 1 5th round draftee is not good enough, but this years senior class needs to be looked at slightly differently

People suck at math.

Someone was slagging on Wanny for not putting his guys into the NFL after year four, and I responded by laying out that his first FULL class (not the one he cobbled together in a month like all new coaches) was only going into their true junior or redshirt soph years.

Reactions: BPKY
Narduzzi isn't the answer, he and his staff can't recruit and I don't see anything changing. He talked a good game but when you recruit mostly 3 stars with a few 2's and are lucky to get 1 four star guy a class, is it any wonder nobody is getting drafted from Pitt? Or is it any wonder his team's are mediocre at best and keep losing their bad bowl game? Time for him to go.
his recruiting is on par with CHryst's and better than Graham's and Walts. Wanny's classes were ranked higher but he and coaches like Cavanaugh negated any positive outcomes with those classes..

I don't think your problem is with Narduzzi, I think it is with pitt football. You want a coach to come in here and recruit classes in the low 20's and high teens and be a coach that isn't a complete moron.. Sorry, that guy isn't coming to pitt, we cant afford him..

After 20+ years of recruiting classes in the 30's under 4 different coaching regimes, it's time to realize that it's not an anomaly, this is what it is..

his recruiting is on par with CHryst's and better than Graham's and Walts. Wanny's classes were ranked higher but he and coaches like Cavanaugh negated any positive outcomes with those classes..

I don't think your problem is with Narduzzi, I think it is with pitt football. You want a coach to come in here and recruit classes in the low 20's and high teens and be a coach that isn't a complete moron.. Sorry, that guy isn't coming to pitt, we cant afford him..

After 20+ years of recruiting classes in the 30's under 4 different coaching regimes, it's time to realize that it's not an anomaly, this is what it is..
Agreed - we are an 8-5 type program with a good coach. Our best chance at success is to hope Narduzzi continues to grow as a HC, and the new assistants give a boost to recruiting and coaching.

Agreed - we are an 8-5 type program with a good coach. Our best chance at success is to hope Narduzzi continues to grow as a HC, and the new assistants give a boost to recruiting and coaching.
Narduzzi is 28-24 at pitt, 20-12 in the ACC, won the coastal, finished second (twice) and a fourth place finish. its a lot better than what chryst did here, better than graham's one year..

I mean, any way you look at it, we are trending upwards.. we seem to be over "pitting" away games against inferior opponents, something we always did under past coaches..

We all want pitt to win the national championship every year, I get it but if you look at pitt football objectively, it's not too shabby..

Speaking of classes ranked in the low 20's, low teens - what schools above the Mason Dixon line accumulate that talent on a yearly basis? PSU, OSU, and Michigan.

Michigan and PSU overspend to accomplish this. OSU is still fortunate their in-State recruiting is elite in volume and they're the only dog in town.

Narduzzi does as good job as those other schools considering his circumstances.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Speaking of classes ranked in the low 20's, low teens - what schools above the Mason Dixon line accumulate that talent on a yearly basis? PSU, OSU, and Michigan.

Michigan and PSU overspend to accomplish this. OSU is still fortunate their in-State recruiting is elite in volume and they're the only dog in town.

Narduzzi does as good job as those other schools considering his circumstances.

Can probably throw ND in there, too. But no doubt location does appear to play a significant role in a lot of cases as to both where the preponderance of top HS talent comes from and also where those most talented recruits do seem to prefer to play nowadays. More so than it used to be, it sure seems like.

It's something that programs in the colder climates have to try to overcome and deal with. Because one thing that can't be changed is the location of a school.

I think most of us would be happy with a coach that was able to recruit in the 30's. Right now that's happening once every four years or so.

I think most of us would be happy with a coach that was able to recruit in the 30's. Right now that's happening once every four years or so.
once every four years huh??

Lets take a look at this statement for a sec. we were in the 30's in '18 (#38), in '17 (# 36) and in '16 we were #29. So 3 out of the last 4 years we were in the 30's or higher..

I'll tell you what. we'll give you a mulligan on this one. I have made over statements from time to time too. So all of us will look away while you go pick up your ball that you duffed off the tee, go pick it up and put it back on the tee and try again. We will all pretend we didn't see it..

This is it though, your one mulligan of the round. from here on out, all swing and misses count on the scorecard..

you guys make these idiotic statements on recruiting that are so far from the truth and you leave me with no choice but to disprove it. I don't like being this guy, it's not fun for me to tighten the leash on your nonsense.. We just need some semblance of truth here, that's all..

I throw out nonsense too, all the time. But I do it on subjective matters so I at least have a fighting chance to defend it. YOu guys scream that 1+1 = 4 and well, you leave me no choice..

I couldn't care less if recruiting rankings were 150th if the team wins. It's trite but true.

Problem is, greater rankings do mean better teams.

And even 8-5 teams that never sniff championships aren't acceptable to most fans, aka customers.

Few now, and fewer still each season, are accepting that as adequate (and we hardly even get that).

And they're voting with wallets and feet. Or not, as it were. Which it is. Or something.

You can feel like super alums or outstanding humans for being happy about mediocre teams. "Losing at sports means my school is gooder than those other ones having all the fun on Saturdays, which must mean i'm a genius, no matter what my uncle who went to Michigan thinks!"

Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright, it's alright. Just make sure to turn the lights out when, not if, you're the last one in the stadium.

I couldn't care less if recruiting rankings were 150th if the team wins. It's trite but true.

Problem is, greater rankings do mean better teams.

And even 8-5 teams that never sniff championships aren't acceptable to most fans, aka customers.

Few now, and fewer still each season, are accepting that as adequate (and we hardly even get that).

And they're voting with wallets and feet. Or not, as it were. Which it is. Or something.

You can feel like super alums or outstanding humans for being happy about mediocre teams. "Losing at sports means my school is gooder than those other ones having all the fun on Saturdays, which must mean i'm a genius, no matter what my uncle who went to Michigan thinks!"

Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright, it's alright. Just make sure to turn the lights out when, not if, you're the last one in the stadium.
We are getting the same crowds now as we always did. We are getting bigger crowds now then we did in the mid and late 80s, when we had much more talented teams. Our crowds now are twice larger then they were in early and mid 90s. Talk about turning the lights off if you are the last one there, that wasn’t too far from the truth in mid 90s at pitt stadium.

Our crowds are what they are. When ND or psu comes, we’ll get 60k. When we are playing good and it’s a sat game against a decent opponent, we will get 40 - 45k, if we play an fcs opponent or the team is losing, we will get 30-37k. That’s it, that’s how it works.

No magic elixir, no marketing formula, fireworks or bobble heads of all the billboards in the world or banners hanging on Heinz field will change that. This is it boys. This is what you signed up for being a pitt fan.

You want 75k at home games against no name opponents, find another program to root for because it will never happen here. It didn’t happen when we had Tony D winning the NC and heisman trophies and it didn’t happen when we had Marino winning 10-11 games annually.

once every four years huh??

Lets take a look at this statement for a sec. we were in the 30's in '18 (#38), in '17 (# 36) and in '16 we were #29. So 3 out of the last 4 years we were in the 30's or higher..

I'll tell you what. we'll give you a mulligan on this one. I have made over statements from time to time too. So all of us will look away while you go pick up your ball that you duffed off the tee, go pick it up and put it back on the tee and try again. We will all pretend we didn't see it..

This is it though, your one mulligan of the round. from here on out, all swing and misses count on the scorecard..

Yeah, you're getting duped by those Rivals rankings. It's okay, I used to make that mistake, too. Go take a gander at the 247 composite that everyone else uses.

We are getting the same crowds now as we always did. We are getting bigger crowds now then we did in the mid and late 80s, when we had much more talented teams. Our crowds now are twice larger then they were in early and mid 90s. Talk about turning the lights off if you are the last one there, that wasn’t too far from the truth in mid 90s at pitt stadium.

Our crowds are what they are. When ND or psu comes, we’ll get 60k. When we are playing good and it’s a sat game against a decent opponent, we will get 40 - 45k, if we play an fcs opponent or the team is losing, we will get 30-37k. That’s it, that’s how it works.

No magic elixir, no marketing formula, fireworks or bobble heads of all the billboards in the world or banners hanging on Heinz field will change that. This is it boys. This is what you signed up for being a pitt fan.

You want 75k at home games against no name opponents, find another program to root for because it will never happen here. It didn’t happen when we had Tony D winning the NC and heisman trophies and it didn’t happen when we had Marino winning 10-11 games annually.
Oh please, we are not getting the same crowds. The crowds are getting a little worse each year. Interest is dying, literally and figuratively.

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
you guys make these idiotic statements on recruiting that are so far from the truth and you leave me with no choice but to disprove it. I don't like being this guy, it's not fun for me to tighten the leash on your nonsense.. We just need some semblance of truth here, that's all..

I throw out nonsense too, all the time. But I do it on subjective matters so I at least have a fighting chance to defend it. YOu guys scream that 1+1 = 4 and well, you leave me no choice..

At least be objective. You're cherry-picking the one service that makes Pitt look better.

We'll be fine. The '20 class is looking like Narduzzi's first top 20 class coming off the Coastal championship.

I'm intrigued to watching how Nebraska recruits in the next 5 years.

They probably really need the Pac 12 to stay down. I could see them getting in that 88 to 89 average recruit ranking on 247 on a consistent basis. But more than that they would have to really own California and some of the surrounding Cali states.

Oh please, we are not getting the same crowds. The crowds are getting a little worse each year. Interest is dying, literally and figuratively.
Please remind me of these great crowds, I’m 43 and have been going to pitt games since late 80s. Please remind me of when we had these great consistent crowds because I don’t remember them.

Please spare me the 2002 va tech game as your example, I was there, it was awesome.

Pitt fans were crying about attendance in 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009, 2014 and they’ll be complaining this fall. It’s what we do.

Yeah, you're getting duped by those Rivals rankings. It's okay, I used to make that mistake, too. Go take a gander at the 247 composite that everyone else uses.
ok, so using your 247 site, we were in the 30's in '16 (#30) and '17 (#37). so your statement of one every 4 years is still wrong.. Soo now what? Do you want to try a 3rd time? Maybe reference another recruiting service and hope this time, your statement isn't wrong..

we will wait here for you to look up and see if there is a 3rd service that we can use.. let us know how you do..

Please remind me of these great crowds, I’m 43 and have been going to pitt games since late 80s. Please remind me of when we had these great consistent crowds because I don’t remember them.

Please spare me the 2002 va tech game as your example, I was there, it was awesome.

Pitt fans were crying about attendance in 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009, 2014 and they’ll be complaining this fall. It’s what we do.
Im talking bread and butter conference games, and not the 'event' games, and at Heinz Field. These are the ones that just continue to erode, down to nearly IAA game levels. Fewer come, and fewer stay. It was never great but it's getting steadily if not dramatically worse. A group of 8 has a couple more drop out each year, nobody replaces them, it happens a few more times year after year of relentless boring .500 seasons, now with boring unspectacular players. At least befor you usually had one star with some buzz pretty much every year. Working backyard, Whitehead, Boyd, Conner, Donald, Graham, etc etc. Etc back to Fitz. They craved that to be Pickett last year, and look what they got. 8 yards in the marquee game. Ollison and Hall were fine players but to have them as the stars was an indictment, not a redemption.

I know this won't make a diff. It's fine if you want to be one of those "college football is dirty and I would rather suck with honor" types. Hell, maybe it is somehow true that our sucking improves the stature of the academics, somehow. But just own it proudly. Don't try to spray Rediwhip on a pile of dog manure and try to push it as chocolate mousse. The program is just meh and getting more meh. Only a flawed model similar to mlb is allowing us to get away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT