ADVERTISEMENT

Top needs in transfer portal?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
If you are recruiting for Pitt, what's most important?

Mine would be:

1. Shooter

- need a replacement for Elliot and Nike. Need to make 3s. We cant rely on a freshman to start on the wing. 22-24 year old guards, even from mid-majors are better than 18 year olds. Need a guy like Kunkel from Xavier (transfer from Belmont) or Funk from PSU (transfer from Bucknell). Elliot was good but we SHOULD be able to upgrade

2. Rebounder

- need an Omier or Franklin-type player. I almost put this first but we won a lot of games without a rebounder, due to shooting so I would prefer we can get some

3. Wing reserve, potential starter at SF

- Sibande replacement. Someone who can shoot but is a little more athletic.

Pitt is in a position now with some key players returning where they can go out and sell "come start on a team going to the NCAAT next year." They got a little lucky with B-list transfers but now they should be able to land A-list transfers. It will be a big few months.

Agree generally. What you most likely are referring to when you characterize our transfers as B-list is outright talent, but they were A-list if you take into account everything they brought to the table. It's pretty nuts that this team was able to make the dance, but they did it. Give me guys with the make-up of JB/Nelly/Nike/Greg every time.

Best player available. I'm excited about the talent we have coming in as freshman and our returning bigs, but really we could use anyone -- veteran point guard, accurate three point guy, bruising rebounder, three and d wing, whatever.

Agree generally. What you most likely are referring to when you characterize our transfers as B-list is outright talent, but they were A-list if you take into account everything they brought to the table. It's pretty nuts that this team was able to make the dance, but they did it. Give me guys with the make-up of JB/Nelly/Nike/Greg every time.

I meant they were B-list transfers based on schools seriously recruiting them. All 3 were great. Not knocking them at all. They did a great job. Just saying we got a little lucky in that they produced at or near A-level and we cant expect that every time we go after lesser sought after transfers. Need to go out and beat NC State, Wake, VT, Xavier, OSU, etc for highly sought after transfers.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If you are recruiting for Pitt, what's most important?

Mine would be:

1. Shooter

- need a replacement for Elliot and Nike. Need to make 3s. We cant rely on a freshman to start on the wing. 22-24 year old guards, even from mid-majors are better than 18 year olds. Need a guy like Kunkel from Xavier (transfer from Belmont) or Funk from PSU (transfer from Bucknell). Elliot was good but we SHOULD be able to upgrade

2. Rebounder

- need an Omier or Franklin-type player. I almost put this first but we won a lot of games without a rebounder, due to shooting so I would prefer we can get some

3. Wing reserve, potential starter at SF

- Sibande replacement. Someone who can shoot but is a little more athletic.

Pitt is in a position now with some key players returning where they can go out and sell "come start on a team going to the NCAAT next year." They got a little lucky with B-list transfers but now they should be able to land A-list transfers. It will be a big few months.
Experienced PG and a couple of bangers.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I meant they were B-list transfers based on schools seriously recruiting them. All 3 were great. Not knocking them at all. They did a great job. Just saying we got a little lucky in that they produced at or near A-level and we cant expect that every time we go after lesser sought after transfers. Need to go out and beat NC State, Wake, VT, Xavier, OSU, etc for highly sought after transfers.
We can’t get, aka can’t pay, for A level. We have to hope for B or even C level with talent that went undeveloped or who lacked maturity early in their careers and desire to Prove The World Wrong ™️ …and then (most important) willing to be respectful of the coaches and mesh well in personality.

That’s what we got this past year, and all we can only hope to keep getting, unless NIL donations beef up and the cash flows freely (plus the school remains pliant on giving setting chances to screw ups). Neither of those are very likely with Pitt. Pitt would balk at a massive NIL payola anyway. We only like to get a tiny bit dirty.

That said, with the new crop my wish list would be a somewhat better guy at handling the point than Cummings (can’t assume Dior will be here). That’s it, everyone else was great for us as they were. Oh sure, better defense and rebounding would be great too, it was our undoing this past month, but fat chance.

If Shrew leaves PS, and I don't think he will, there's a good chance Lundy will hit the portal. Would love to have him.

We can’t get, aka can’t pay, for A level. We have to hope for B or even C level with talent that went undeveloped or who lacked maturity early in their careers and desire to Prove The World Wrong ™️ …and then (most important) willing to be respectful of the coaches and mesh well in personality.

That’s what we got this past year, and all we can only hope to keep getting, unless NIL donations beef up and the cash flows freely (plus the school remains pliant on giving setting chances to screw ups). Neither of those are very likely with Pitt. Pitt would balk at a massive NIL payola anyway. We only like to get a tiny bit dirty.

That said, with the new crop my wish list would be a somewhat better guy at handling the point than Cummings (can’t assume Dior will be here). That’s it, everyone else was great for us as they were. Oh sure, better defense and rebounding would be great too, it was our undoing this past month, but fat chance.

OK but I dont mean beating Duke, Kentucky, and UNC for transfers. I mean beating NC State and Xavier. Xavier's PG was the CUSA leading scorer last year. Someone like that should be attainable. And we aren't talking a ton of money for these guys. If we cant pay someone like that $50K-$100K, we shouldn't be in this business.

Experienced PG and a couple of bangers.

If Dior is here and with Lowe coming in, I think getting an experienced PG is a tough sell. Dior is the starter if he's here and you arent going to get a kid with say Nelly's accomplishments at the mid-major level to come here for 10 minutes a game.

I'm assuming Fede, Hinson and the twins are back.
Then where is the minutes for a rebounder?
I get it, some don't like that Fede and the twins are both thin, but that is our front court.

It's not like Creighton, Xavier, K State, etc. all have Oscar T. or Omier down low.
There are multiple ways to build a team.

The biggest question mark right now is Dior. Does Capel trust him to be the PG next year? Even if he does do you need an insurance policy?

We had no wings this year. Burton was a physical 2G and Blake is a PF who can shoot.

Portal targets need to be SG, wings and a PG. Probably in that order.

Reactions: pittchagg
I get it, some don't like that Fede and the twins are both thin, but that is our front court.

It's not like Creighton, Xavier, K State, etc. all have Oscar T. or Omier down low.

The biggest question mark right now is Dior. Does Capel trust him to be the PG next year? Even if he does do you need an insurance policy?

We had no wings this year. Burton was a physical 2G and Blake is a PF who can shoot.

I think Sibande and especially Elliott were wings. Our most frequent lineups had Elliott and Hinson in the corners giving the spacing the same as a wing would. Elliott is the most important role to replace, IMO - obviously if we can get someone who can come close to Elliott’s shooting with a little more length and lateral quickness on defense would be great.

We really need rebounding so if we can get a Javon Franklin-type, I would seriously consider moving Hinson to the 3 like we did with Young then Artis and starting the PF transfer at the 4. However, Hinson isnt quick enough to guard a 3 on defense so we would need this hypothetical transfer PF to be athletic enough to guard their 3. If we dont get this player, I would also consider starting GDG at the 4 and having him guard the SF. He isnt quick enough either but his length could make up for it on shot contests. That gives us a better rebounder than Hinson at the 4 and Hinson would be a reasonably good rebounder for the 3.

If we do none of this but still get a rebounder, I would divide up minutes as such:

C - Fede 25 GDG 15
PF - Hinson 20 mythical rebounder 20
SF Hinson 12 others 28

Fede and the twins were a great story, mainly because there were such low expectations. But the bigs were still the biggest weakness on this team. We were out rebounded routinely, and got very little points from them. Definitely need help in that area.

If Dior is here and with Lowe coming in, I think getting an experienced PG is a tough sell. Dior is the starter if he's here and you arent going to get a kid with say Nelly's accomplishments at the mid-major level to come here for 10 minutes a game.
I don't know how you can trust Dior to be the guy after the past year. Then again Capel has been around him, so he will have a feel for the situation.
I think Sibande and especially Elliott were wings. Our most frequent lineups had Elliott and Hinson in the corners giving the spacing the same as a wing would. Elliott is the most important role to replace, IMO - obviously if we can get someone who can come close to Elliott’s shooting with a little more length and lateral quickness on defense would be great.
Yes, they played the wing, but they were like 6'3". Getting a bigger wing helps with the rebounding.
Fede and Blake are fine as the front court. I don't think either is getting benched. People don't realize how good Fede was on offense this. Transition, offensive rebounds, finishes at the rim.

Fede and the twins were a great story, mainly because there were such low expectations. But the bigs were still the biggest weakness on this team. We were out rebounded routinely, and got very little points from them. Definitely need help in that area.
Guillermo’s rebounding rate wasn’t really that much different than Hugley’s last year, and he really improved as the year went along. I think the best chance of improving the rebounding will come from guys already on the roster.

Guillermo’s rebounding rate wasn’t really that much different than Hugley’s last year, and he really improved as the year went along. I think the best chance of improving the rebounding will come from guys already on the roster.
I think we need a 5 back up. Just because of injury. If Fede or GDG goes down.... we are screwed

Reactions: pittchagg
Shooters and more shooters. At least three of them. One of them who can handle the ball in spots. The others who can defend like hell in the backcourt.

We’re good otherwise.
Oh sure but they aren’t likely to be on the B or C tier unless baggage

He had two injury years though. 21-22 he was fully out, but could he petition for 20-21 given he only played 14 games? Right now he played four full years and a partial 5th year. Could he grad or petition?

In Order

SG
CG
backup center
best player available at wing / forward if Nate Santos leaves

Pg- Dior , Lowe
Sg
Sf- Carrington
Pf-Hinson, Jorge Diaz Graham, Jeffress
C- Diaz Graham, Fede

Barnes- Redshirt

Obviously these are not locked in stone, but they are the most likely based off where we are right now. We need guards badly.

Reactions: Loman909 and TWPitt
In Order

SG
CG
backup center
best player available at wing / forward if Nate Santos leaves

Pg- Dior , Lowe
Sg
Sf- Carrington
Pf-Hinson, Jorge Diaz Graham, Jeffress
C- Diaz Graham, Fede

Barnes- Redshirt

Obviously these are not locked in stone, but they are the most likely based off where we are right now. We need guards badly.

Why not :

PG Dior
SG Carrington
SF Jeffress
PF Hinson
C Fede,twins

offensively, Hinson is basically playing the 3, and assuming Dior and Carrington can shoot, they have 3 shooters which should work, especially when GDG is at C.

This isn't to imply that we don't need to add pieces.

Why not :

PG Dior
SG Carrington
SF Jeffress
PF Hinson
C Fede,twins

offensively, Hinson is basically playing the 3, and assuming Dior and Carrington can shoot, they have 3 shooters which should work, especially when GDG is at C.

This isn't to imply that we don't need to add pieces.

Its not that I don't think Carrington can play the 2, he certainly can because he is a 3 level scorer that can shoot. And while I think Carrington is very talented coming into this program, he currently is 17 years old and is young for his class. You are expecting a lot for him to man the backcourt at the 2 all season and do it under pressure (with another freshmen right next to him), especially when teams dial up the press, trap, doubles, etc. in the backcourt. And Jeffress has not proven he can be an adequate wing under these conditions either.

Carrington can do a lot as a point forward and to me that's his best place for now as it takes pressure off of him as being a primary ball handler. Depending on what pieces are added, obviously things can be moved around for the best fit. I wouldn't rule out 100% that Hinson doesn't play at least some 3 next year. It depends on what we add. But we need some seasoned vets in the backcourt and need at least 2 quality guards added to the team.

Its not that I don't think Carrington can play the 2, he certainly can because he is a 3 level scorer that can shoot. And while I think Carrington is very talented coming into this program, he currently is 17 years old and is young for his class. You are expecting a lot for him to man the backcourt at the 2 all season and do it under pressure (with another freshmen right next to him), especially when teams dial up the press, trap, doubles, etc. in the backcourt. And Jeffress has not proven he can be an adequate wing under these conditions either.

Carrington can do a lot as a point forward and to me that's his best place for now as it takes pressure off of him as being a primary ball handler. Depending on what pieces are added, obviously things can be moved around for the best fit. I wouldn't rule out 100% that Hinson doesn't play at least some 3 next year. It depends on what we add. But we need some seasoned vets in the backcourt and need at least 2 quality guards added to the team.
Might be a lot to wish for, but I really hope we are able to bring in a couple of guys with more than one year of eligibility left. Otherwise, we are going to more or less in the same spot next year. If we bring in 3 seniors, along with Hinson, there will be 4 holes to fill again next year. I realize rosters are going to change up to some extent these days, but we have an opportunity to have some continuity for a couple of years if we can land guys who aren't in their final year.

Need to bring in three experienced, potential starters.

Biggest need an experienced primary point, capable of playing some two. He is the point unless Dior or Lowe are ready. (Dior is not dependable and Lowe is a 6 foot freshman) This guy plays starters minutes regardless.

Second biggest need an experienced, athletic and strong forward who can defend. A compliment to Hinson.

Third need an experienced two that could pitch in at the point. This player may need to accept less than starter minutes, depending on the play of our young guards.

Fede - Guillermo
Hinson - Jorge
Transfer 2 - Jeffress - Barnes - Santos
Transfer 3 - Dior - Carrington
Transfer 1 - Lowe

Last edited:
Jared Bynum of Providence just went in the portal. I'd definitely look at him. Great replacement for Nelly.

Jared Bynum of Providence just went in the portal. I'd definitely look at him. Great replacement for Nelly.

Capel is going to have to decide if he can rely on Dior being here on November 10 or whenever the season starts. He seems to be a good talent but there's a ton of risk that he could up and leave or get himself suspended again. Its a tough situation because no real good PG will want to come here to back him up but he could leave or get suspended before November

It would also be beneficial if the majority of our transfer "gets" are also taller. I just watched the final Jeff Capel and player's press conference after yesterday's loss. After the players got up from the table I realized just how "short" each of them are. Four guards, basically (Nelly barely 6'; Nike maybe 6'1", and Jamarius and Greg 6'3"), who had better than average offensive skills, but lacked the size and length needed to consistently defend. Great group of guys who, in their final interview, gave kudos to Pitt, HCJC, and the Oakland Zoo/Pitt fans. I hope that some portal transfers watch this to see what playing at Pitt can mean ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT