ADVERTISEMENT

Loaded Capel Tweet

the problem wasn't hiring Stallings. The 2 guys you name would've been the ONLY 2 that Pitt fans would've accepted at the time. How could we go from Jamie Dixon to... Kevin Stallings? The same thing would've been said about Brandin Knight.

Is Kevin Stallings a good basketball coach? I don't think that's a debate. Say what you want about the guy, but he's a proven coach at the P5 level. He has almost 500 wins as a coach, and wins 60% of his games. The issue was that he wasn't Jamie Dixon, or even close to Jamie Dixon.

I said this earlier - this wasn't a Stallings issue when he got hired. It was Pitt issue thinking we could replace Jamie with someone comparable. Unrealistic expectations. When you hear about the facilities and how outdated everything was, we probably outdid ourselves hiring Stallings.

I don't want to continue down this rabbit hole, but you're basing your argument off of theories. What Barnes was thinking. Publicly announcing a sitting P5 coach and then couldn't back track. Barnes hired his buddy. They have the same agent.

At the end of the day, Kevin Stallings just came off of a tournament appearance at Vandy. He had a solid 5 year stretch of being a staple in the top 20 at Vandy. He went to the tourney 8 times at Vandy - way more than any coach in school history. Is easily the best coach they've ever had. Before that, he took Illinois State to the tournament twice as well as the NIT twice in 6 years. Illinois State! and it was his first coaching stop.

He was Roy Williams right hand man for 6 years at Kansas. Before that, he was an assistant under Keady at Purdue for 7 seasons - their all time winningest coach.

He wasn't a bad hire - you can point out any theory you want, but his resume at the time was better than every Pitt coach in our school history besides Jamie. You understand that, right? We can point to any theory you want, but his resume absolutely checks out and was more than fitting for the position he got hired for.
Well said.

People cling to their conspiracy theories.

Season ticket holder in both sports. I'm not ready to bail on either Duzz or Capel. If you want to replace Duzz...who with? At least 75% + of those out there panned the Mack Brown hire. Too Old, blah blah blah. How is it working out so far? Of course, he loses his QB after this year too. Scott Frost was the slam dunk hire at Nebraska that was going to have NU back at the top of the lesser Big10 division. NO ONE panned that hire. How is it looking a few years on? Changing either coach should be followed up with who the replacement is going to be. Pitt has been left at the altar by plenty of candidates.

I never commented on how good of a coach he was.

I specifically said over and over I wasn't defending him, but of course, that's what it's being twisted into.

My initial point was that he didn't get a fair shake. That's all.

You've said multiple times that the questions about the obvious conflict of interest which took place during Stallings's hire were unfair. The concept that the press can't ask such questions - or that there should be any limit on what the press can ask - of a public university employee at an open press conference reeks of weakness. Stallings was getting paid multiple millions of dollars to coach basketball and you're throwing a tirade because the press was too mean to him. What a snowflake.

Kevin Stallings had every opportunity to shrug that off and let his record speak for itself. He went 4-32 in conference play. He's a check collector. The fact that anyone thinks he was treated unfairly is ludicrous.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
You've said multiple times that the questions about the obvious conflict of interest which took place during Stallings's hire were unfair. The concept that the press can't ask such questions - or that there should be any limit on what the press can ask - of a public university employee at an open press conference reeks of weakness. Stallings was getting paid multiple millions of dollars to coach basketball and you're throwing a tirade because the press was too mean to him. What a snowflake.

Kevin Stallings had every opportunity to shrug that off and let his record speak for itself. He went 4-32 in conference play. He's a check collector. The fact that anyone thinks he was treated unfairly is ludicrous.

if you actually read what I wrote, you'd know the unfairness went way deeper than some schmucks asking questions at the press conference. That's not even a blip on the radar.

pound salt, ese.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
if you actually read what I wrote, you'd know the unfairness went way deeper than some schmucks asking questions at the press conference. That's not even a blip on the radar.

pound salt, ese.

Ok, so Pitt paid Kevin Stallings so much money that he gets to sit at home and not work but everyone was also deeply unfair to poor Kevin and it's also unfair that in over 3 years none of the 350+ D-1 basketball teams out there have recognized Kevin's genius and come begging to him to save them from basketball purgatory?

That's fairly common in college athletics. 10 or 11 SEC football coaches are represented by the same guy. Often he's negotiating a buyout for one coach, while placing another coach, sometimes with an AD he also represents. That's kinda the way it works.

Attractive candidates aren't easy to come by.
I don't care who represents them. I never said I did. I said Stallings was a mediocre-to-bad candidate who didn't deserve to be hired, regardless of his connections.

I don't care who represents them. I never said I did. I said Stallings was a mediocre-to-bad candidate who didn't deserve to be hired, regardless of his connections.
I'm sure he wasn't plan A or plan B, but that's just the way the cookie usually crumbles. I don't think Capel was plan A either.

I'm in my mid-30s and I'm a millionaire....with a job (unlike Stallings). I DGAF about Kevin Stallings or his career, but if he was some basketball messiah or even above-average as you're claiming, he'd probably still be working right now.
Stallings can buy and sell you many times over . He’s of the age that most people retire and with his bankroll he has the wherewithal to live life anyway he chooses .

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Hurley would’ve been the biggest coaching star in town short of Tomlin winning another Super Bowl. He did exactly what we haven’t by building a killer staff that isolates on key recruiting turf.
The only problem is that unless UConn comes to Pgh Hurley’s not coming here .

Maybe Pitt should hire Nick Sabin too !

UConn wants to win and is willing to do what it takes to win , the same cannot be said about Pitt .

Does anyone know how to generate a Word Cloud? If we did a word cloud on panther lair, the largest fonts would be Dixon, Stallings, and knight.

Would you want a head coach who won 6 , 6 , 7 , 11 and then 5 football games or a coach who won 1 , 5 & 6 Fb games in his first 3 seasons ? Or how about a bb coach who won 6 ,4 & 3 ACC conference games in his first 3 seasons .
I know I sure wouldn’t want Bill Belichick , Chuck Noll or Coach K as head coaches of any team of mine .

The first 3 yrs have been underwhelming , since he’s going to be here for at least another 2 or 3 more yrs let’s see what this hire turns out like . My guess is that he turns out to be a good hire and better than anyone they could currently hire .

Reactions: DnTanna07
Would you want a head coach who won 6 , 6 , 7 , 11 and then 5 football games or a coach who won 1 , 5 & 6 Fb games in his first 3 seasons ? Or how about a bb coach who won 6 ,4 & 3 ACC conference games in his first 3 seasons .
I know I sure wouldn’t want Bill Belichick , Chuck Noll or Coach K as head coaches of any team of mine .

The first 3 yrs have been underwhelming , since he’s going to be here for at least another 2 or 3 more yrs let’s see what this hire turns out like . My guess is that he turns out to be a good hire and better than anyone they could currently hire .

It's almost as if some people think that college basketball in the 2020s isn't the same as the NFL in the late 60s - early 70s or the NFL in the 2000s or even college basketball in the early 80s.

Man, what's wrong with those people?

Reactions: Karaoke Jim
Monster program? I think the jury is still out on that one.

I'd much rather have Nate Oats than Hurley.

Those guys were down just like we were. Obviously our rock bottom was a bit more dramatic, but we also have the ACC life preserver whereas Hurley walked into a program that was struggling in the AAC. Calling it a “monster” is subjective, but to have a tourney bid, a probable top 10 NBA pick, and what looks like another big time class coming in by year 3 looks awfully good from our spot. Oats is a fantastic coach, but I will always be an unabashed supporter of the Hurley family. No matter what our chances were, it’s always going to sting with me that we didn’t land him

I’d rather have Heidi Klum than my girlfriend. The difference is I may have had a chance.

And yes; absolute monster program is being built at UConn. If you can’t see the trajectory he’s on, you don’t know college hoops.

Put me in the camp who believes that it’s significantly more difficult to recruit in basketball than it is in football. There are only, what, 60-ish power conference football teams? So to get a top 25 recruiting class in football, you’re pretty much in the top half of the power 5. Maybe a Cincinnati or someone sneaks into the top 25, but the non-P5 schools who recruit at that level are slim to none.

There are so many more mouths at the feeding trough in basketball - you’ve got the power 5, plus the Big East, AAC, some A10 schools, and then Gonzaga and the other small number of schools like them that all compete for top talent at a level that just doesn’t exist in football, to go along with the G League, Overtime, etc. Getting a top 25 recruiting class in basketball - and assembling talent more generally - is absolutely more difficult than it is in football.

I’d rather have Heidi Klum than my girlfriend. The difference is I may have had a chance.

And yes; absolute monster program is being built at UConn. If you can’t see the trajectory he’s on, you don’t know college hoops.
Jury still out on that one. So far the results have been very underwhelming for a school with 4 National Titles in the last 22 years.

His highest rated recruit this past cycle ranked around 40. Not very impressive, imo.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Jury still out on that one. So far the results have been very underwhelming for a school with 4 National Titles in the last 22 years.

His highest rated recruit this past cycle ranked around 40. Not very impressive, imo.
They were a disaster the last few years under Ollie and in a bad fit conference wise. Calhoun is one of the greatest coaches of all time, of course they’re not to that level yet.

They had the #25 class last year and the #14 class this year in that you were not impressed. Yet you defend Kevin Stallings. Go back to football and defend your 18-17 coach.

I can’t even comprehend someone saying they aren’t impressed by the #14 class in the country. You’re gonna have to go on ignore soon. That comment is too stupid to comment about college hoops. If Narduzzi ever did that (hint, he won’t) you’d give him a lifetime contract.

Reactions: levance2
Those guys were down just like we were. Obviously our rock bottom was a bit more dramatic, but we also have the ACC life preserver whereas Hurley walked into a program that was struggling in the AAC. Calling it a “monster” is subjective, but to have a tourney bid, a probable top 10 NBA pick, and what looks like another big time class coming in by year 3 looks awfully good from our spot. Oats is a fantastic coach, but I will always be an unabashed supporter of the Hurley family. No matter what our chances were, it’s always going to sting with me that we didn’t land him
I don't have anything against the Hurley's. The hype they get is a lot greater than the results they produce as coaches when it comes to Bobby and Danny, imo.

Oats, Musselman, and Enfield are 3 guys that were mentioned for the job that I’d have preferred over Hurley. They have actually produced results. UConn basketball is a brand. Acting like it is some miracle that Hurley is 50-37 is laughable.

Reactions: TD_6082
Oats, Musselman, and Enfield are 3 guys that were mentioned for the job that I’d have preferred over Hurley. They have actually produced results. UConn basketball is a brand. Acting like it is some miracle that Hurley is 50-37 is laughable.
Oats/Musselman wouldn’t have even entertained the job and Enfield asked when the job was open when stallings got it for the $ Capel got and Barnes balked.

Turns out Hurley did the same thing as Enfield but just for leverage.

Duke and UK have one title each in the last decade, so I suppose those programs should probably close up shop based on your standards? My goodness.

Scoffing at top 50 recruits as underwhelming is an insane standard. I think we would all take that level of underwhelming here.

20 years ago, sure. In this day and age, I’d much rather be the guy taking over a broken program at a P5 flush with football money like the three guys you mentioned than a program in the AAC, no matter the brand. I had to check to confirm but in the year before Hurley got there, they started off with losses to Wagner, Boston U, and then squeaked by Loyola Marymount in their first three games. That’s a mess.

They were a disaster the last few years under Ollie and in a bad fit conference wise. Calhoun is one of the greatest coaches of all time, of course they’re not to that level yet.

They had the #25 class last year and the #14 class this year in that you were not impressed. Yet you defend Kevin Stallings. Go back to football and defend your 18-17 coach.

I can’t even comprehend someone saying they aren’t impressed by the #14 class in the country. You’re gonna have to go on ignore soon. That comment is too stupid to comment about college hoops. If Narduzzi ever did that (hint, he won’t) you’d give him a lifetime contract.
Stallings was at Pitt for 2 years. I'm not going to judge any coach after 2 years. Dan Hurley had 0 post season appearances after 2 years at every job on his resume.

UK had the #1 or #2 Recruiting class last year didn't they? What did that get them? 25 & 14 at UCONN isn't really impressive. Georgetown's class was 9th. Creighton was top 10. Tennessee was 3rd. Any of those programs building to 'monster" status?

The 18-17 record you cite for Narduzzi are numbers pulled our of your ass. He is 42-34 overall, 29-20 ACC.

Duke and UK have one title each in the last decade, so I suppose those programs should probably close up shop based on your standards? My goodness.

Scoffing at top 50 recruits as underwhelming is an insane standard. I think we would all take that level of underwhelming here.

20 years ago, sure. In this day and age, I’d have much rather be the guy taking over a broken program at a P5 flush with football money like the three guys you mentioned than a program in the AAC, no matter the brand. I had to check to confirm but in the year before Hurley got there, they started off with losses to Wagner, Boston U, and then squeaked by Loyola Marymount in their first three games. That’s a mess.
And with a top 25 class then the #14 class and his history of building programs… you can see where this is going with Hurley. The only people who can’t are blind.
Stallings was at Pitt for 2 years. I'm not going to judge any coach after 2 years. Dan Hurley had 0 post season appearances after 2 years at every job on his resume.

UK had the #1 or #2 Recruiting class last year didn't they? What did that get them? 25 & 14 at UCONN isn't really impressive. Georgetown's class was 9th. Creighton was top 10. Tennessee was 3rd. Any of those programs building to 'monster" status?

The 18-17 record you cite for Narduzzi are numbers pulled our of your ass. He is 42-34 overall, 29-20 ACC.
He’s 18-17 with his players against D1 competition. He sucks. Give him a lifetime contract for subtweeting 17 year olds!

Why would Oats nor have entertained the job? He took a job at Alabama ffs.
Because 1) Pitt was a mess 2) he had the best team of his career coming back to Buffalo and knew he could be patient 3) was embroiled in some off the court activities and didn’t want the spotlight 4) Alabama is 100 percent a better job with better resources

Fans have this inflated idea of how good of a job Pitt is. It’s not seen by college coaches as one you can win at. Maybe now that JC has brought the Pete up to like the 10th best facility in the ACC that will change some things.

Easy reply, yep he was treated unfairly, very unfairly.

Reactions: gary2
And with a top 25 class then the #14 class and his history of building programs… you can see where this is going with Hurley. The only people who can’t are blind.

He’s 18-17 with his players against D1 competition. He sucks. Give him a lifetime contract for subtweeting 17 year olds!

He has 29 ACC wins. Every ACC team is D1 last time I checked.

Hurley has a history of building programs? 😂 Damn near every head coach in a major conference built a program at a lower level. Your 0-fer boys Kevin Stallings and Bryce Drew did that. Sheesh. Unless there is some special connection with the school, (i.e. Memphis, Michigan, UNC, IU, & soon to be Duke) that's how most of these guys got their job.

Because 1) Pitt was a mess 2) he had the best team of his career coming back to Buffalo and knew he could be patient 3) was embroiled in some off the court activities and didn’t want the spotlight 4) Alabama is 100 percent a better job with better resources

Fans have this inflated idea of how good of a job Pitt is. It’s not seen by college coaches as one you can win at. Maybe now that JC has brought the Pete up to like the 10th best facility in the ACC that will change some things.

Lol. Bama's resources are put into football. Alabama added a training/practice facility 4 or 5 years ago, but it's certainly nothing extraordinary. Coleman Coliseum is still an absolute dump. I can't think of a worse facility in the SEC off the top of my head. Maybe that relic in Athens, GA. Possibly Florida or LSU.

Lol. The Pete is fine. Facilities aren't holding Pitt back. Have you been to Wake, FSU, VaTech, FSU, BC, GaTech, Miami, or even UVA? It may not be on Yum or PNC level or have the nostalgia & tradition of Cameron, or the Domes (the two outdated dumps occupied by UNC & Syracuse) but it isn't exactly holding Pitt back.

Lol. Bama's resources are put into football. Alabama added a training/practice facility 4 or 5 years ago, but it's certainly nothing extraordinary. Coleman Coliseum is still an absolute dump. I can't think of a worse facility in the SEC off the top of my head. Maybe that relic in Athens, GA. Possibly Florida or LSU.

Lol. The Pete is fine. Facilities aren't holding Pitt back. Have you been to Wake, FSU, VaTech, FSU, BC, GaTech, Miami, or even UVA? It may not be on Yum or PNC level or have the nostalgia & tradition of Cameron, or the Domes (the two outdated dumps occupied by UNC & Syracuse) but it isn't exactly holding Pitt back.
Yes. The Pete was holding Pitt back. I have been to every facility in the ACC and not for games. Practice facility, locker rooms etc. until Capel came it was a bottom 3 facility in the ACC. You can LOL and come back with whatever you want. I know what recruits think, or thought, about the Pete. You don’t. Bottom line.

20 years ago, sure. In this day and age, I’d much rather be the guy taking over a broken program at a P5 flush with football money like the three guys you mentioned than a program in the AAC, no matter the brand. I had to check to confirm but in the year before Hurley got there, they started off with losses to Wagner, Boston U, and then squeaked by Loyola Marymount in

I'm not scoffing at them. Im just pointing out that just because you sign a couple of top 50 recruits doesn't mean you're building a "monster"

Roster turnover can be bitch in college hoops. And the whole needs to be greater than the individual parts. Did you see the UK trainwreck of 20-21? How about Duke or UNC?

Tennessee had more success with 2 and 3 star guys that stuck around for 3 years than they did with 3 5-star players on last year's team.

Signing two top 50 guys is nice. Doesn't mean UCONN is back though. The jury is still out and the first 3 years have been nothing special.

Yes. The Pete was holding Pitt back. I have been to every facility in the ACC and not for games. Practice facility, locker rooms etc. until Capel came it was a bottom 3 facility in the ACC. You can LOL and come back with whatever you want. I know what recruits think, or thought, about the Pete. You don’t. Bottom line.
Yes. Becsuse you speak to each and every recruit individually and get their thoughts on it. Or you can read their mind.

I stand corrected. I'm glad the Pete is no longer holding Pitt back. It's good to know this 82nd ranked recruiting class approves of the upgrades. Do you think the class would have been in the triple digits without sprucing things up at the Pete?

Oats/Musselman wouldn’t have even entertained the job and Enfield asked when the job was open when stallings got it for the $ Capel got and Barnes balked.

Turns out Hurley did the same thing as Enfield but just for leverage.
I am not arguing who would/wouldn’t have taken the job. I just think you are waving the Pom Poms too hard for Hurley. There are a number of coaches who have accomplished more with less. A good coach “should” win big at UConn. We shall see if Hurley gets them to that level.

Reactions: singregardless
I am not arguing who would/wouldn’t have taken the job. I just think you are waving the Pom Poms too hard for Hurley. There are a number of coaches who have accomplished more with less. A good coach “should” win big at UConn. We shall see if Hurley gets them to that level.
Exactly.

UCONN signs 2 top 50 recruits. Imagine my freaking surprise. As if that's some great accomplishment that's never been done before.

Yes. Becsuse you speak to each and every recruit individually and get their thoughts on it. Or you can read their mind.

I stand corrected. I'm glad the Pete is no longer holding Pitt back. It's good to know this 82nd ranked recruiting class approves of the upgrades. Do you think the class would have been in the triple digits without sprucing things up at the Pete?
C'mon man. You're using the one-man 2021 class? Why not use the top-25 ranked 2022 class?

Even broader, you know as well as I do that if Narduzzi signed a kid with Santos' profile - a top 250 kid who was at one point ranked in the top 75, there would be people (including probably yourself) falling all over themselves praising Narduzzi for it. We've got people over on the football board crowing about Narduzzi's recruiting classes filled with kids who are much, much, much less highly-regarded than Santos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT