ADVERTISEMENT

Loaded Capel Tweet

I think the one stud player can make all the difference in basketball IF he joins a team that is otherwise solid but lacking star power in a key role. See Duane Wade at MU for example. No different in football with a QB. See Wisconsin with Russell Wilson.

If the team is otherwise dysfunctional and/ or lacking legit P6 players, then you get what Pitt was. I would add that the best 3 players on that team, including Champ, all seemed selfish and focused on padding their stat sheets. That typically doesn’t work well in the W/L column. And that’s squarely on JC.
I think we’re pretty much in agreement then

Maybe not every year 10 wins, but how about ONCE? It’s like overpaying for coach C with the extension… who’s hiring these guys away?

Yeah, just give us ONE year with 10 wins. The rest of the time, 8 wins would be nice. He can't even do that.

My expectation with Capel, after 2 years, was that he'd be consistently getting us in a position for an NCAAT bid with some 20 win seasons with the occasional 24 wins or so, every 4 or 5 years. That's not really too much to ask when you consider what he's getting paid and what other coaches are doing in similar positions. A 20 win season for him is a pipe dream at best. Like a 10 win season for Narduzzi.

Yeah, just give us ONE year with 10 wins. The rest of the time, 8 wins would be nice. He can't even do that.

My expectation with Capel, after 2 years, was that he'd be consistently getting us in a position for an NCAAT bid with some 20 win seasons with the occasional 24 wins or so, every 4 or 5 years. That's not really too much to ask when you consider what he's getting paid and what other coaches are doing in similar positions. A 20 win season for him is a pipe dream at best. Like a 10 win season for Narduzzi.
Two years for Capel to get back to 20 wins and NCAA bubble was not realistic. Slow but obvious improvement in both the product on the floor and the win column is what we should have seen-but that hasn’t happened. He is entering year 4 without a foundation for his program.

so this was just a 3.5 year growth process fot jeff??

wait what???? didnt we hire him because of his "experience"?
First it’s only 3 yrs !

I think both JC and KS overestimated the appeal of Pitt bb , thinking ACC , PT easy sell , but guess what Pitt has turned out to be nothing but a tough sell .

Look back into JD’s last few yrs trying to find grad transfers to fill out his roster , and failing miserably. He was having trouble with hs kids too . Bring in a recruiter , done ( Smoke …nothing . ) Bring in a new head guy whose had multi 1st round draft picks at Vandy , nothing , bring in a guy from Duke whose been successfully recruiting the elite of elite , being kind he’s been struggling to get the athletes needed to compete .

What I hope is that the groundwork he’s put in on kids now approaching their junior and senior yrs pays off for him , like Mintz . I also hope he now has a better understanding of how and who to try to recruit to Pitt . Fortunately for him his contract gives him this second chance . Firing him and bringing in another guy just destroys all work he’s done on hs kids and the process of developing relationships starts over .

First it’s only 3 yrs !

I think both JC and KS overestimated the appeal of Pitt bb , thinking ACC , PT easy sell , but guess what Pitt has turned out to be nothing but a tough sell .

Look back into JD’s last few yrs trying to find grad transfers to fill out his roster , and failing miserably. He was having trouble with hs kids too . Bring in a recruiter , done ( Smoke …nothing . ) Bring in a new head guy whose had multi 1st round draft picks at Vandy , nothing , bring in a guy from Duke whose been successfully recruiting the elite of elite , being kind he’s been struggling to get the athletes needed to compete .

What I hope is that the groundwork he’s put in on kids now approaching their junior and senior yrs pays off for him , like Mintz . I also hope he now has a better understanding of how and who to try to recruit to Pitt . Fortunately for him his contract gives him this second chance . Firing him and bringing in another guy just destroys all work he’s done on hs kids and the process of developing relationships starts over .
i was refferring to the other posters comment's that he is learning recruiting lessons i.e. all eggs one basket.
he has been an hc long enough. there should be no learning curve on that.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
i was refferring to the other posters comment's that he is learning recruiting lessons i.e. all eggs one basket.
Every job has a learning curve especially with how different schools approach abiding by recruiting regulations .

Every job has a learning curve especially with how different schools approach abiding by recruiting regulations .
sounds like we have the wrong guy if having to play by the rules is such an issue. seems his recruiting pedigree was tainted.

Reactions: gary2
sounds like we have the wrong guy if having to play by the rules is such an issue. seems his recruiting pedigree was tainted.
He’s recruiting for Pitt not Duke . Like I said I believe convincing the level of player you need to compete in the ACC to Pitt is no easy task when recruits have so many other options with the majority of them having more successful programs.

If there’s no improvement in recruiting the next few yrs that’s when his job is in jeopardy not now .

Football 10 win seasons in the ACC isn't an easy thing.

Also, under the current climate in college hoops, it's going to be very hard to produce consistently. Simply too much roster movement and reliance on the current incoming class (including transfers)

Narduzzi is doing his job. Pitt football is in the top third of the league in terms of winning percentage under his watch. (as opposed to Pitt bb, which is in the bottom third under JC) Duzzi's teams play hard and they represent the school well. That's acceptable in my book. Unless Pitt goes rogue, that's about the best you can expect. I think it's extremely short sided to throw the baby out with the bath water and get too demanding just for a 10 win season. They don't exactly give you a special trophy for a 10 win season. Besides, outside of Pitt's own fanbase, nobody cares or keeps up with the win total. Win 10 games & miss the playoffs, the team still goes to a meaningless bowl game in which most of the star players will opt out and where some coaches will care more about jockeying for the next raise or career move. Same as a 7 win team or a 9 win team.

Also, under the current climate in college hoops, it's going to be very hard to produce consistently. Simply too much roster movement and reliance on the current incoming class (including transfers)

Narduzzi is doing his job. Pitt football is in the top third of the league in terms of winning percentage under his watch. (as opposed to Pitt bb, which is in the bottom third under JC) Duzzi's teams play hard and they represent the school well. That's acceptable in my book. Unless Pitt goes rogue, that's about the best you can expect. I think it's extremely short sided to throw the baby out with the bath water and get too demanding just for a 10 win season. They don't exactly give you a special trophy for a 10 win season. Besides, outside of Pitt's own fanbase, nobody cares or keeps up with the win total. Win 10 games & miss the playoffs, the team still goes to a meaningless bowl game in which most of the star players will opt out and where some coaches will care more about jockeying for the next raise or career move. Same as a 7 win team or a 9 win team.
That bolded part really managed to bumb me out on a Saturday night in June

No you will continue to excuse bad football. There is no reason a school like Cincinnati can continually hire better football coaches than Pitt when we pay a top 10-15 salary and have better seasons. It’s absurd. The ACC coastal is not good. Hire good coaches that have bigger aspirations than Pitt and you get better results. Hire Neanderthals like Narduzzi, Chryst, etc and you can’t have one elite season ever. Omg can we please pay our head coach 5 million in perpetuity to have zero sense about how to manage in game situations and tweet 17 year olds like a baby? Pretty please can we do that? We can’t do better. Even Michigan state didn’t want him back

I'm fine with Narduzzi after the 2020 & 2021 classes. Kinda meh on 2022 so far.

No you will continue to excuse bad football. There is no reason a school like Cincinnati can continually hire better football coaches than Pitt when we pay a top 10-15 salary and have better seasons. It’s absurd. The ACC coastal is not good. Hire good coaches that have bigger aspirations than Pitt and you get better results. Hire Neanderthals like Narduzzi, Chryst, etc and you can’t have one elite season ever. Omg can we please pay our head coach 5 million in perpetuity to have zero sense about how to manage in game situations and tweet 17 year olds like a baby? Pretty please can we do that? We can’t do better. Even Michigan state didn’t want him back

LOL. Did you just compare a school that competes in the AAC to Pitt?

No. Pitt cannot have one elite season. It's not possible to recruit well enough at Pitt to have an elite season. 2 or more losses doesn't count as an elite season, because it's not an elite season. Any year without a ACC championship also would not count as an elite season.

LOL. Did you just compare a school that competes in the AAC to Pitt?

No. Pitt cannot have one elite season. It's not possible to recruit well enough at Pitt to have an elite season. 2 or more losses doesn't count as an elite season, because it's not an elite season. Any year without a ACC championship also would not count as an elite season.
LOL I compared hiring coaches. Cincy constantly hires elite ones. Pitt hires mediocre ones and overpay. You should root for a new school because you don’t believe Pitt has anything to sell. Cincinnati was top 10 in the country last year. They went 12-0 under Kelly. But we should keep Narduzzi because we only get embarrassed every time we step up to the play. 45-3 v ND with his vaunted defense. HE SUCKS. Anyone who argues differently doesn’t know football. That’s not an opinion. He sucks. It’s why no one tries to hire him away. Michigan state chose Mel Tucker over him. Because he SUCKS. And we pay him almost 5 mill a year.

Reactions: singregardless
Also, Pitt pays Narduzzi so well because the school has to pay a premium to keep him. Pitt has to overpay Todd Graham to pry him away from Tulsa. The other Neanderthal has found it much easier to win at Wisconsin than Pitt. 56-19 at Wisky compared to 19-19 at Pitt. What changed?

Also, Pitt pays Narduzzi so well because the school has to pay a premium to keep him. Pitt has to overpay Todd Graham to pry him away from Tulsa. The other Neanderthal has found it much easier to win at Wisconsin than Pitt. 56-19 at Wisky compared to 19-19 at Pitt. What changed?
His team won 8 games the next 2 years and probably would’ve won more with him as coach instead of Narduzzi. He’s a much better coach. He wouldnt have tried to play quarters defense in the ACC with terrible fits on defense. Narduzzi has sailed off Chryst’s players/offense long enough

LOL I compared hiring coaches. Cincy constantly hires elite ones. Pitt hires mediocre ones and overpay. You should root for a new school because you don’t believe Pitt has anything to sell. Cincinnati was top 10 in the country last year. They went 12-0 under Kelly. But we should keep Narduzzi because we only get embarrassed every time we step up to the play. 45-3 v ND with his vaunted defense. HE SUCKS. Anyone who argues differently doesn’t know football. That’s not an opinion. He sucks. It’s why no one tries to hire him away. Michigan state chose Mel Tucker over him. Because he SUCKS. And we pay him almost 5 mill a year.
Do you know how football recruiting works? What Pitt has to sell doesn't matter near as much as what Pitt has to give. Do you think Pitt is capable of recruiting top 10 type classes on a yearly basis? LMAO if you actually think that. And you can't be elite unless you can recruit at that level.

And yes, you saying he sucks IS an opinion. 45-3 is one game with a back up QB. That doesn't prove anything more than someone arguing he is a great coach because he won 43-42 over the eventual National Champs in Death Valley. Blowout losses are a part of the game. They happen fairly often, even to good teams with a helluva lot more talent than Pitt.

Pitt is in the top third of the league in winning percentage under his watch. Pitt's not going to do much better.

His team won 8 games the next 2 years and probably would’ve won more with him as coach instead of Narduzzi. He’s a much better coach. He wouldnt have tried to play quarters defense in the ACC with terrible fits on defense. Narduzzi has sailed off Chryst’s players/offense long enough

Now tell us how he sailed off Chryst's defense

• Haha
Reactions: caleco's

LOL. Where are all these elite coaches that Cincinnati hired?

Brian Kelly
Butch Jones
Senator Tuberville
Luke Fickell

Fickell isn't an elite coach. Far from it. Luke Fickell was 6-7 in his one year stint at tOSU. At UC, he is 4-8 against ranked teams. The 4 wins are against UCF, Army, SMU, and Tulsa. That isn't comparable at all to competing in the ACC. Not even in the ACC Coastal.

He wouldn't be interested in coming to Pitt anyway, and he sure as hell wouldn't be a slam dunk hire if he did.

Two years for Capel to get back to 20 wins and NCAA bubble was not realistic. Slow but obvious improvement in both the product on the floor and the win column is what we should have seen-but that hasn’t happened. He is entering year 4 without a foundation for his program.

I didn't say consistent 20 wins or even get to 20 wins after 2 years. I said he would consistently getting us in a position for an NCAAT bid and SOME 20 win seasons. He needed to just get us in that position, not necessarily do it every year or be at 20 wins in year 3. It would be expected from a great coach obviously, but he isn't that.

You're preaching to the choir with what you said. Capel has shown no improvement in the program and, in fact, it has devolved into a cluster$%#@. No foundation, no productive culture, no quality recruiting, and little player development. Just excuses and a lot of blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: TD_6082 and gary2

He gets a pass from his disaster at Oklahoma around here, when there was no bag man to use, as probation caught up to them

Duzz sucks buddy, actually VERY AVG nothing more
He's in the top third of the league in winning percentage. He has as many big wins on his resume as any other coach at Pitt post-glory years.

When you coach at a P5 school where the best you can do is recruit top 15 to top 30 type classes, average is what you get. No coach is going to do significantly better.

Also, why do you say Michigan State didn't want him back? That's pure speculation on your part. He's well paid at Pitt. Could it be a possibility that just maybe he wasn't looking to leave?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Also, why do you say Michigan State didn't want him back? That's pure speculation on your part. He's well paid at Pitt. Could it be a possibility that just maybe he wasn't looking to leave?

Because he’s a loser gym teacher that’s accomplished nothing here. Ignoring all of your other messages. Maybe if he gets 8 NFL players on defense we’ll only give up 44 to Notre Dame. His program sucks. If Chryst didn’t leave an NFL offense, he’d be gone instead of having 100 percent job security. It sucks. Won’t ever be good with Neanderthal in charge.

Your defense over winning 7 games a year with a few cupcakes or non FBS schools sprinkled in is absurd. They have had many opportunities to take the next step as a program and because of mismanagement and in game mistakes by the head coach have failed to do so. He’s a bad Trace decision away from 0-4 against PSU and a blewitt miracle away from being fired.

He’s much closer to being awful than elite.

Last edited:
Because he’s a loser gym teacher that’s accomplished nothing here. Ignoring all of your other messages. Maybe if he gets 8 NFL players on defense we’ll only give up 44 to Notre Dame. His program sucks. If Chryst didn’t leave an NFL offense, he’d be gone instead of having 100 percent job security. It sucks. Won’t ever be good with Neanderthal in charge.

Of course you will ignore all the other messages. They are fact-filled and you can't debate the facts. It's far better for you to throw words around like Neanderthal & gym teacher and totally focus on the one abortion of a game in 2020.

Chryst went 19-19 at Pitt, 10-13 in the ACC. Do you think the offense would have been as explosive with Chad Voytik at QB instead of Nate Peterman?

It's very difficult, if not impossible for Pitt to recruit well enough to be really good or win anything of consequence. That's just the culture at Pitt. They don't cheat on a scale comparable to the college football elite. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle one year and win the ACC when there is no elite team in the conference, much like the pre-Jimbo/Dabo years, when FSU & Clemson were mediocre.

The bottom line is he wins. He's 42-34 overall, 29-20 in the ACC. The four previous years, Pitt was 25-27 overall. 7-9 in the ACC and 7-7 in Big East.

Your defense over winning 7 games a year with a few cupcakes or non FBS schools sprinkled in is absurd. They have had many opportunities to take the next step as a program and because of mismanagement and in game mistakes by the head coach have failed to do so. He’s a bad Trace decision away from 0-4 against PSU and a blewitt miracle away from being fired.

He’s much closer to being awful than elite.
Not the greatest game day coach and made a very bad hire in Watson, but..

The right man for the job. Has provided the greatest amount of stability in the program since Jackie left.

things are right. He is not looking to leave, we are not looking to replace him.

recruiting and team composition have been consistent.

Of course you will ignore all the other messages. They are fact-filled and you can't debate the facts. It's far better for you to throw words around like Neanderthal & gym teacher and totally focus on the one abortion of a game in 2020.

Chryst went 19-19 at Pitt, 10-13 in the ACC. Do you think the offense would have been as explosive with Chad Voytik at QB instead of Nate Peterman?

It's very difficult, if not impossible for Pitt to recruit well enough to be really good or win anything of consequence. That's just the culture at Pitt. They don't cheat on a scale comparable to the college football elite. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle one year and win the ACC when there is no elite team in the conference, much like the pre-Jimbo/Dabo years, when FSU & Clemson were mediocre.

The bottom line is he wins. He's 42-34 overall, 29-20 in the ACC. The four previous years, Pitt was 25-27 overall. 7-9 in the ACC and 7-7 in Big East.
Not the greatest game day coach and made a very bad hire in Watson, but..

The right man for the job. Has provided the greatest amount of stability in the program since Jackie left.

things are right. He is not looking to leave, we are not looking to replace him.

recruiting and team composition have been consistent.
18-17 against FBS competition with all his players the last 3 years. If ACC basketball was the 4th best P5 conference and Jeff Capel goes 1 game above 500 the next 3 years you guys will want to fire him. Narduzzi is a top 10 paid coach to be VERY average.

I don’t want stability in Pitt football coaching. If you hire someone who doesn’t want a better job than Pitt than you’re doomed to get average results like Narduzzi. The fact Capel’s 2 biggest detractors think 18-17 against FBS in years 4/5/6 with his defense and best QB is acceptable proves me correct beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thank you.

18-17 against FBS competition with all his players the last 3 years. If ACC basketball was the 4th best P5 conference and Jeff Capel goes 1 game above 500 the next 3 years you guys will want to fire him. Narduzzi is a top 10 paid coach to be VERY average.

I don’t want stability in Pitt football coaching. If you hire someone who doesn’t want a better job than Pitt than you’re doomed to get average results like Narduzzi. The fact Capel’s 2 biggest detractors think 18-17 against FBS in years 4/5/6 with his defense and best QB is acceptable proves me correct beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thank you.
If there was a vote tomorrow to keep one of Narduzzi or Capel by Pitt fans, how do you think it would turn out?

If there was a vote tomorrow to keep one of Narduzzi or Capel by Pitt fans, how do you think it would turn out?
Depends if you asked people who have season tickets for both or not. No sane fan thinks either is doing their job, but at least Capel isn’t in years 4/5/6 and having fans defend 18-17 against FBS competition in the worst P5 division there is.

Let me know when Capel’s overall conference. Winning percentage is third best in the league.

I won’t hold my breath waiting.
Correct. He had some good years with Chryst’s recruited offense. Could’ve been elite if he knew how to adapt to talent instead of trying to put players not equipped to do it on an island defensively. Alas, he is a gym teacher.

Correct. He had some good years with Chryst’s recruited offense. Could’ve been elite if he knew how to adapt to talent instead of trying to put players not equipped to do it on an island defensively. Alas, he is a gym teacher.

All you need to know

18-17 in years 4/5/6 against FBS teams. Dude sucks and is vastly overpaid.

Pitt's OOC schedule will usually consist of 2 cupcakes & 2 programs equal or better than Pitt. Not an equal comparison to college basketball.

Let me help you out. Narduzzi wins 59% of his ACC games and Pitt's conference winning % is in the top 3rd of the conference.

Jeff Capel wins 28% of his conference games and is in the bottom third of the conference in winning percentage.

I think one is acceptable and one is not. See if you can figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT