ADVERTISEMENT

Local knowledge for those making the trip to Detroit Part 2--FOOD & DRINK

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
FOOD/DRINK

Pregame
Good places to meet and have a couple before the game
  • The Elwood--cool bar in 1920s diner building across the street from the main entrance to Ford Field, very crowded on game days. Closest bar to the stadium.
  • Tin Roof Detroit-formerly Cheli's owned by NHL legend Chris Chelios (i haven't been there since it became Tin Roof), 3 story bar very close to the main entrance, very crowded on game days, good place to meet before games.
  • The Old Shillelagh--classic old Deroit Irish bar located in Greektown, very short walk to stadium, crowded on gamedays and most other days.
  • Punch Bowl Social-big national chain place a short walk from the stadium, good gathering spot and comfortable place to have a couple beers and some food before a game.
  • Nemo's--see below for better description,. Best to call to make sure the shuttle is running for the game as it's not walk-able to the stadium--but it's a great gameday sports bar--best in Detroit. Great burgers.
  • Hockeytown Cafe--easy walk, good gathering spot, I'm not a big fan but if you;re an out of towner it's a decent place to gather and pregame.
Essential Detroit
  • Lafayette & American Coney Island--these two competitors since 1917 are next door to each other and are the birthplace of the Detroit-style coney dog. It's essential for a first-timer to sample a dog or two from both places, much like any first time visitor to Philly needs to sample both Pat's and Gino's cheesesteaks, or any visitor to Pittsburgh needs to hit the original Primanti's in the Strip. If you like coney dogs, you will love these. Short walk form the stadium. This is a must-visit for out of towners.
  • Buddy's Pizza--home of the original Detroit-style square deep-dish pie. Buddy's just opened its first downtown Detroit location literally today. Good stuff and now a short walk from Ford Field and all the hotels above.
  • Jacoby's German Biergarten--old school German biergarten since 1904.
  • Pegasus Greek Taverna--old school Greek restaurant in Greektown a very short walk.
  • Nemo's--classic old Detroit bar in the Corktown neighborhood. Honestly my favorite bar in Detroit. Great history including a frequent haunt of Jimmy Hoffa and a lot of the mobsters he did biz with. Not walkable to hotels or stadiums but runs free shuttles to and from Ford Field for all events. Lots of cool bars and restaurants in Corktown, Detroit's oldest neighborhood and epicenter of Irish immigration to Detroit in the 1800s.
  • Nancy Whiskey (see Nemo's above--although Nancy's is more of a dive. Longtime Detroit firefighter Irish bar).
  • Pizza Papalis--Detroit Greek version of "Chicago style" stuffed deep dish pizza that is really different and better than any deep dish pizza I've had including the top pies in Chicago. Located a short walk from the stadium in Greektown.
  • Cafe D'Mongo--cool, eclectic old-school Detroit bar.
  • Campus Martius-the epicenter/hub of downtown Detroit, very short walk from Ford Field, vibrant and crowded at night, outdoor skating rink, pop-up shops, huge Detroit Christmas tree, excellent and very cool restaurant (PARC) with 180 degree windows with views of downtown and the Xmas tree.
  • Eastern Market--Detroit's version of The Strip, the old produce and meat terminal area with a large weekend farm market, lots of cool shops and casual food/drink. Short walk to stadium, epicenter of tailgating for Lions games. I'd recommend Vivio's Bar, Supino's Pizza, Detroit City Distillery, Russell Street Deli.
  • Corktown--its own destination. cool neighborhood with lots of good bars and restaurants. Notably Nemo's, Slow's BBQ, Mercury Burger Bar, Detroit Institute of Bagels, Two James Distillery, Ottava Via (Italian), Mudgie's Deli, Batch Brewing, Astro Coffee, Sugar House (awesome craft cocktails, no food), Lady of the House (fine dining, high end).

• Cliff Bell's--beautifully restored 30s jazz club with decent food and good jazz. Very cool atmosphere. Short walk.
Fine Dining/Upscale
Note that these places will require a reservation

• Prime & Proper--excellent upscale modern steakhouse, see or be seen place. Very expensive. Good looking crowd. Located in Capitol Park a short walk from the stadium and hotels. Capitol Park itself is worthwhile destination with a number of excellent bars and restaurants surrounding it, pop-up shops, etc.
  • London Chop House-the see and be seen place in Detroit from 1938-1991, it was restored to its original state and re-opened in 2012. Short walk from stadium and the hotels above.
  • Roast--Michael Symon steakhouse located in the Book Cadillac Hotel. Very good food, very cool atmosphere. Short walk.
  • PARC--see above. Very good food, great atmosphere, views of the city, and location.
  • Wright & Co.--short walk from the stadium--craft cocktails, small plates, good looking people.
  • Vertical Detroit--good food, serious about their wine.
  • Apparatus Room--very cool, good food, awesome bar scene. located in the Foundation Hotel, longer walk or very short Uber ride.
  • Grey Ghost--excellent food and cocktails, cool atmosphere, very hip. Slightly outside walkable but a short ride up Woodward on the brand new on the Q-line light rail.
  • San Morello--upscale modern Italian located in the Shinola Hotel.

Great info on these two threads. Thank you. What would be your top kid-friendly spot recommendation for lunch (either day of game or before we hit road to return day after game)?

Guys, I can add some things. I don't live in Detroit, but my ex girlfriend did, so I have been going up here since the late 80's, and also now with my job I am usually here once a month, including this past week.

As far as staying, I am a Hilton Diamond, so most of the time I stay on the fringes of the city at a Hilton property. So anyone staying in the Northern Subs, or Dearborn area or the Airport, definitely I can give you advice.

Badby nailed it. The Irish Bar, Old Shillelagh is great and has been there for ever. So has Pegasus the greek restaurant (OOOMPAH!) get the flaming Saganaki cheese.

As in another thread, definitely can vouch for Buddy's, in fact I had a 4 Square there on Tuesday. But also, there is Supino's which is also really good. I think Detroit style pizza is excellent and underrated in the world of pizza.

Hockeytown is your basic Mullens/Bettis type of Sports Bar. Blah. But serviceable.

The Keep, the Detroiter and Ready Player One are all downtown and more of a flavor of Detroit (in a good way).

I think it was The Annex Nightclub is where we saw Snoop Dog perform during the Super Bowl XL. It is close to Ford Field.

Detroit also has a zillion just basic Greek Diners called "Coney Islands" or some twist on this, any one of these better options than say an Eat N Park or even Primanti's for breakfast or lunch.

Got to go to Dearborn if you are staying for more than a few days and eat at one of their Mid East Restaurants. The only downside most don't serve Alcohol. But the food is plentiful and terrific and a cuisine we just don't have here in Pittsburgh. Al Ameer, Cederland, Al Chahab are all right close to each other, La Pita is further out on Michigan Ave but serves alcohol!

Also, Mexicantown just south of downtown, along Vernor's Hwy have some good authentic Mexican places for another cuisine that is woeful in Pittsburgh.

North? There's Buddy's Pizza places in Livonia and Southfield (Southfield is a northern suburb of Detroit), Bacco Restuarant (Italian) is fairly upscale Italian in the norther suburbs, and Mabel Gray in Hazel Park is considered one of the best restaurants in the US, it's not in the nicest of areas, but what I can compare it to is Superior Motors in Braddock as far as quality, food and location. And of course, Royal Oak, main street is alot like Main Street in Ann Arbor or Carson on the Southside as far as bar's and restaurants, including one place where I was decked by some chick after being a drunken fool during a buddy's bachelor party.

There's a Buddy's Pizza in Novi if anyone is staying out that way. There's also a Pirmanti's in Novi and another in Taylor incase any of you get homesick!

There's a lot of great hipster type places north of Ford Field in mid-town, you can take the QLine from there.

If you want a very good "standard" pizza hit up Supino Pizza in Eastern Market, I'd go there over any of the Buddy's locations.

Great info on these two threads. Thank you. What would be your top kid-friendly spot recommendation for lunch (either day of game or before we hit road to return day after game)?
Definitely have to take the kids to Lafayette and/or American Coney Island. They are right next door to each other. The debate over which has the better hot dog has been raging since before 1920. It’s truly the Pat’s vs. Gino’s cheesesteak war. Lafayette would be more the Pat’s-a little more divey and authentic, American is more the Ginos with neon glitz, shiny and clean. Both are Very kid friendly and a uniquely Detroit taste and experience. It’s all about the chili. The article below is a pretty good summary.

https://themetdet.com/lafayette-vs-american-coney-island/

2017-06-11_05-55-07-01.jpeg

Reactions: JoseLind13
Guys, I can add some things. I don't live in Detroit, but my ex girlfriend did, so I have been going up here since the late 80's, and also now with my job I am usually here once a month, including this past week.

As far as staying, I am a Hilton Diamond, so most of the time I stay on the fringes of the city at a Hilton property. So anyone staying in the Northern Subs, or Dearborn area or the Airport, definitely I can give you advice.

Badby nailed it. The Irish Bar, Old Shillelagh is great and has been there for ever. So has Pegasus the greek restaurant (OOOMPAH!) get the flaming Saganaki cheese.

As in another thread, definitely can vouch for Buddy's, in fact I had a 4 Square there on Tuesday. But also, there is Supino's which is also really good. I think Detroit style pizza is excellent and underrated in the world of pizza.

Hockeytown is your basic Mullens/Bettis type of Sports Bar. Blah. But serviceable.

The Keep, the Detroiter and Ready Player One are all downtown and more of a flavor of Detroit (in a good way).

I think it was The Annex Nightclub is where we saw Snoop Dog perform during the Super Bowl XL. It is close to Ford Field.

Detroit also has a zillion just basic Greek Diners called "Coney Islands" or some twist on this, any one of these better options than say an Eat N Park or even Primanti's for breakfast or lunch.

Got to go to Dearborn if you are staying for more than a few days and eat at one of their Mid East Restaurants. The only downside most don't serve Alcohol. But the food is plentiful and terrific and a cuisine we just don't have here in Pittsburgh. Al Ameer, Cederland, Al Chahab are all right close to each other, La Pita is further out on Michigan Ave but serves alcohol!

Also, Mexicantown just south of downtown, along Vernor's Hwy have some good authentic Mexican places for another cuisine that is woeful in Pittsburgh.

North? There's Buddy's Pizza places in Livonia and Southfield (Southfield is a northern suburb of Detroit), Bacco Restuarant (Italian) is fairly upscale Italian in the norther suburbs, and Mabel Gray in Hazel Park is considered one of the best restaurants in the US, it's not in the nicest of areas, but what I can compare it to is Superior Motors in Braddock as far as quality, food and location. And of course, Royal Oak, main street is alot like Main Street in Ann Arbor or Carson on the Southside as far as bar's and restaurants, including one place where I was decked by some chick after being a drunken fool during a buddy's bachelor party.
I would urge any of you that are coming in for the game to stay in one of the downtown hotels I reference in the other thread, as opposed to staying in the burbs. Staying downtown wasn't much of an option until a couple of years ago, now it's by far the best option for visitors to Detroit especially for sporting events downtown. Trust me on this. I live in a near north suburb of Detroit and it's great, but you won't experience the flavor and vibe of the reborn downtown D. Additionally, the new downtown hotels are far nicer and it is FAR more convenient to be walk-able to the game, not have to park, etc. etc.

Inner-ring suburban cities with walkable downtown districts like Royal Oak, Ferndale and Birmingham were the be-all, end-all of Detroit nightlife until a couple of year ago. Now downtown D is the place to go. There's a reason that tens of thousands of suburbanites are flooding into downtown Detroit every weekend now for dinner, culture, nightlife, etc. for the first time in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I would urge any of you that are coming in for the game to stay in one of the downtown hotels I reference in the other thread, as opposed to staying in the burbs. Staying downtown wasn't much of an option until a couple of years ago, now it's by far the best option for visitors to Detroit especially for sporting events downtown. Trust me on this. I live in a near north suburb of Detroit and it's great, but you won't experience the flavor and vibe of the reborn downtown D. Additionally, the new downtown hotels are far nicer and it is FAR more convenient to be walk-able to the game, not have to park, etc. etc.

Inner-ring suburban cities with walkable downtown districts like Royal Oak, Ferndale and Birmingham were the be-all, end-all of Detroit nightlife until a couple of year ago. Now downtown D is the place to go. There's a reason that tens of thousands of suburbanites are flooding into downtown Detroit every weekend now for dinner, culture, nightlife, etc. for the first time in my lifetime.
Badby, lol....I remember in 2006 for the Super Bowl. All of these "popup" bars that happened downtown in vacant storefronts (it was still pretty rough back then) that we would go to, and you can tell in a week, it would be back to being a storefront.

One thing...........I think you mentioned Detroit Athletic Club. I think that is where we had a catered tailgate. I was there with a bunch of guys from Cranberry and East Brady Pa, including...yes, the HOF QB Jim Kelly which was fantastic being able to tailgate with him, his brothers and his HS coach.

Badby, lol....I remember in 2006 for the Super Bowl. All of these "popup" bars that happened downtown in vacant storefronts (it was still pretty rough back then) that we would go to, and you can tell in a week, it would be back to being a storefront.

One thing...........I think you mentioned Detroit Athletic Club. I think that is where we had a catered tailgate. I was there with a bunch of guys from Cranberry and East Brady Pa, including...yes, the HOF QB Jim Kelly which was fantastic being able to tailgate with him, his brothers and his HS coach.
Right on Owtie--if downtown Detroit was the same place you and a lot of other Burgers visited and observed in 2006, I'd tell you guys to stay home and watch this thing on TV. Those pop-up bars and clubs were in old abandoned buildings that are now totally restored and fully occupied. I know I'm sounding like a salesman here but I promise you this is worth seeing and enjoying. It will change your image of the town big time.

Hell it has become a destination city.
https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2017/10/detroit_named_a_top_travel_des.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/travel/detroit-michigan-downtown.html

https://www3.forbes.com/business/forbes-travel-guides-18-top-destinations-of-2018/19/

Right on Owtie--if downtown Detroit was the same place you and a lot of other Burgers visited and observed in 2006, I'd tell you guys to stay home and watch this thing on TV. Those pop-up bars and clubs were in old abandoned buildings that are now totally restored and fully occupied. I know I'm sounding like a salesman here but I promise you this is worth seeing and enjoying. It will change your image of the town big time.

Hell it has become a destination city.
https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2017/10/detroit_named_a_top_travel_des.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/travel/detroit-michigan-downtown.html

https://www3.forbes.com/business/forbes-travel-guides-18-top-destinations-of-2018/19/
Re-posting for those headed to Detroit

Some places you didn’t mention are Detroit Beer company and Bucharest grill both downtown and excellent places. If you are with kids, brass rail pizza bar is only a few blocks away from the stadium.

If you haven’t been to Detroit since 2006, it’s not even comparable it’s so much better with the revitalization.

Midtown Detroit is also a viable option and you can take the Q Line right down Woodward to ford field. Jolly Pumpkin, Founders tap room, and HopCat are a few midtown favorites especially for beer lovers.

If you want great noodle dishes try Urban Ramen or Ima.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT