ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Food Trucks

I NEVER HEARD OF DETROIT HOT DOGS UNTIL RIGHT NOW. SORRY. There actually are New Castle style hot dog shops in many places, the Coney Island of New Castle has franchises and there are others, because the recipe has been sold hundreds of times from Greeks to Greeks. There's a place in Harrisburg, run by Greeks who sells them but don't claim any connection to NC. And again, if they're "universally loved" could just be because they haven't tried the New Castle version, because food preferences are subjective. Everyone likes something different from other people, and I can believe you that Detroit hot dogs are good and likely more well known, but then again Budweiser is more well known and sells more than lots of much better craft beers. New Castle is a small town and Detroit is what, definitely a top ten US city in size for sure right? And I am not sure that "the whole world knows" Detroit Coneys, I've travelled a lot, have several friends actually from Detroit and like I said never heard of them. And you know what, New Castle Chili Dogs are "passionately beloved" too. the Detroit dogs can't be universally beloved either if not everyone has heard of them, it's probably like a Primanti's Sandwich where the locals think every knows about it everywhere. Also, I've played fantasy football on and off since 2000, my team has always been known as the NewCastleChiliDawgz --- 4 time champions !!!
Dude. You have this weird version of the world. If it doesn't happen in your radar, it doesn't exist. Whatever it is, sports, food, entertainment, if you don't like it or don't know it, you don't even consider that others and maybe many more than what you like do.

Stay tuned. A lot will soon be going away.
The brewpubs are not sustainable. No one needs or I cannot even imagine a market that craves that many "craft" beers. And these things are the ultimate of hipster activities, who move like locusts from one place to another when something new and shiny hits their radar. Wearing ski caps in 88 degree weather with ironic "I don't care" beards that are way too unruly.

Dude. You have this weird version of the world. If it doesn't happen in your radar, it doesn't exist. Whatever it is, sports, food, entertainment, if you don't like it or don't know it, you don't even consider that others and maybe many more than what you like do.
yeah, he's nuts, agreed.

but on this topic, i honestly can say i've never heard of "detroit" style pizza til just a few years ago. obviously it exists cause i looked it up on the internet but did you guys know that there was a "detroit style" pizza?

We knew it existed but i didnt know it was referenced as "detroit style." To be honest, i didnt know there was such a thing as Ohio valley style pizza either. maybe I just need to get out more..

I NEVER HEARD OF DETROIT HOT DOGS UNTIL RIGHT NOW. SORRY. There actually are New Castle style hot dog shops in many places, the Coney Island of New Castle has franchises and there are others, because the recipe has been sold hundreds of times from Greeks to Greeks. There's a place in Harrisburg, run by Greeks who sells them but don't claim any connection to NC. And again, if they're "universally loved" could just be because they haven't tried the New Castle version, because food preferences are subjective. Everyone likes something different from other people, and I can believe you that Detroit hot dogs are good and likely more well known, but then again Budweiser is more well known and sells more than lots of much better craft beers. New Castle is a small town and Detroit is what, definitely a top ten US city in size for sure right? And I am not sure that "the whole world knows" Detroit Coneys, I've travelled a lot, have several friends actually from Detroit and like I said never heard of them. And you know what, New Castle Chili Dogs are "passionately beloved" too. the Detroit dogs can't be universally beloved either if not everyone has heard of them, it's probably like a Primanti's Sandwich where the locals think every knows about it everywhere. Also, I've played fantasy football on and off since 2000, my team has always been known as the NewCastleChiliDawgz --- 4 time champions !!!
I NEVER HEARD OF DETROIT HOT DOGS UNTIL RIGHT NOW.

That doesn't surprise me. i haven't either. But Detroit Coney dogs are legendary nationwide.

I'll tell you this right now--there;s no way in hell you have friends from Detroit or even the state of Michigan who don't know all about Detroit Coneys or the 100 year running battle between Lafayette and American which are right next door to each other in downtown Detroit. No chance. That would be like having friends from Philly who never heard of a Philly steak sandwich, or Pat's and Gino's. Such people don't exist.

it's all about the Detroit coney sauce brah. The hot dog, bun, onions, mustard etc are just throw-ins.Do they sell anything in New Castle called a "loose Coney"? Didn't think so--that's just the Coney sauce on a bun--no hot dog. That's how good Detroit Coney sauce is.

This thread is making me crave a Lafayette. I haven't been there in a few years--might be time to change that. Maybe I'll stop next door at American as well to see if they've made any progress to match the yumminess of a Lafayette Coney.

Pretty sure he's not alone in that way on this board. It really is like a study in anthropology.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
The brewpubs are not sustainable. No one needs or I cannot even imagine a market that craves that many "craft" beers. And these things are the ultimate of hipster activities, who move like locusts from one place to another when something new and shiny hits their radar. Wearing ski caps in 88 degree weather with ironic "I don't care" beards that are way too unruly.
I used to think this about 10 years into the microbrew trend that began in earnest in the early 90s. I think it's safe to say it's no longer a trend, it's firmly part of our economy in the U.S.

yeah, he's nuts, agreed.

but on this topic, i honestly can say i've never heard of "detroit" style pizza til just a few years ago. obviously it exists cause i looked it up on the internet but did you guys know that there was a "detroit style" pizza?

We knew it existed but i didnt know it was referenced as "detroit style." To be honest, i didnt know there was such a thing as Ohio valley style pizza either. maybe I just need to get out more..
The Detroit style pizza never really had the broad fan base of the Detroit coney dog. Until the Food networks started focusing on it as they inevitably do and somebody started marketing it nationally a few years ago trying to turn it into the next Chicago Style pizza trend it was really just a local thing.

And it is damned delicious.

In the heydey, when New Castle had like 40000 population, triple what it is now, there way more great chilidog places than that Coney Island, PO Lunch, G&H, Lincoln, Capitol, Dog House, Hudson, New Life, Dairy Lunch, just to name just a few, today there are probably still 5-6
Sadly, you can’t get a classic NC hot dog in downtown NC. They are all closed. In the surrounding townships yes. A Coney Island is currently under construction in Shenango Twp. It is truly sad what is going on downtown. The PNC bank downtown just announced they are closing that location. It is a mess.

• Sad
Reactions: Pitt79
yeah, he's nuts, agreed.

Don't want to feed you information too fast, but there is a "St. Louis style" pizza also.

Take a deep breath...you'll be okay. Don't let all of this new info overwhelm you...

That doesn't surprise me. i haven't either. But Detroit Coney dogs are legendary nationwide.

I'll tell you this right now--there;s no way in hell you have friends from Detroit or even the state of Michigan who don't know all about Detroit Coneys or the 100 year running battle between Lafayette and American which are right next door to each other in downtown Detroit. No chance. That would be like having friends from Philly who never heard of a Philly steak sandwich, or Pat's and Gino's. Such people don't exist.

it's all about the Detroit coney sauce brah. The hot dog, bun, onions, mustard etc are just throw-ins.Do they sell anything in New Castle called a "loose Coney"? Didn't think so--that's just the Coney sauce on a bun--no hot dog. That's how good Detroit Coney sauce is.

This thread is making me crave a Lafayette. I haven't been there in a few years--might be time to change that. Maybe I'll stop next door at American as well to see if they've made any progress to match the yumminess of a Lafayette Coney.
In New Castle, they ladle their Coney sauce (chili) on top of their French fries and/or on top of their hamburger pattie also.

For real..

Don't want to feed you information too fast, but there is a "St. Louis style" pizza also.

Take a deep breath...you'll be okay. Don't let all of this new info overwhelm you...
dear lord, now i got to google this.'

hmm. i mean, ok. i dont like the "cracker" style crispy pizza crust so probably not my cup of tea. Dont get me wrong, i'd still eat it up no problem but i am one of the few apparently that like a doughy crust.

The Dave Portnoy pizza ratings i just disagree with because he seems to love that crispy crust, the "no flop" new haven style pizza. not a fan of it. i like flop..

St. Louis Style Pizza: What It Is and Where To Try It

St. Louis-Style Pizza Recipe: How to Make It

Again, all the FACTS you provide doesn't prove anything other than Detroit is way bigger than New Castle. There is no way to determine which is the best hot dog or best chili sauce, it's all opinion based. of course the Detroit version will have more votes than the New Castle version, that city is like 1000 times bigger. But you can't determine conclusively that it's ''better'', like you can't in any way PROVE that Memphis BBQ is better than Kansas City BBQ, or NY pizza is better than Chicago pizza, all you can prove is that Detroit hot dogs or sauce is more well known, there is no BETTER, each individual would have to taste all the versions and then have an opinion based on personal preference. And I do have Detroit and Michigan friends, maybe the topic never came up, I've visited there a couple times and we didn't go for hot dogs. I'd like to try their sauce, see how it stacks up?

Don't even bring up New Haven Pizza
no, very familiar with this since dave portnoy pizza and all he talks about is new haven being the pizza capitol of the world..

again, cheese and sauce on a cracker just doesnt do it for me. to each his own.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
how about "old Forge" style pizza, common in NE PA.

i mean now i think people are just making up styles.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just saying that I never heard of it, and I haven't, but there's no reason that I should concede that the version I'm not familiar with is "better", he's asking me to bow down to Detroit coneys, why would I if I know NC sauce and dogs are awesome and never tried theirs? He never tried the NC version, so how can he be sure Detroit is better? I'm the only one making the logical argument.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just saying that I never heard of it, and I haven't, but there's no reason that I should concede that the version I'm not familiar with is "better", he's asking me to bow down to Detroit coneys, why would I if I know NC sauce and dogs are awesome and never tried theirs? He never tried the NC version, so how can he be sure Detroit is better? I'm the only one making the logical argument.
only on pantherlair can we argue about chili dogs..

How is this for irony...

Up the street from my house, a Romanian Catholic church had a severely shrinking congregation. They couldn't afford to maintain their church building, so they sold the property.

The new owners turned the church into a brewpub. After a few years in business, it failed and closed right before the pandemic hit.

After sitting vacant until this past November, the property was again sold and the old church/brewpub is again being converted into a different restaurant.

Guess what the new restaurant, which will reopen in the Spring is...

A "MP Coney Island" restaurant!

"And now you know the rest of the story..." - Paul Harvey

I have a personal stake in NC chili and hot dogs, first off, they are actually great, people in Detroit can't actually say they aren't since they haven't tried them, and they also paid my college tuition. I never said the Detroit version sucks or is bad, I'm just loyal to the NC version until I would taste the Detroit version and feel like it's better. This guy is adamant that Detroit is better without ever trying NC? So, I'm the open-minded person in this conversation.

I have a personal stake in NC chili and hot dogs, first off, they are actually great, people in Detroit can't actually say they aren't since they haven't tried them, and they also paid my college tuition. I never said the Detroit version sucks or is bad, I'm just loyal to the NC version until I would taste the Detroit version and feel like it's better. This guy is adamant that Detroit is better without ever trying NC? So, I'm the open-minded person in this conversation.
yeah, we have our opinions, no one is right or wrong. silly to be so "right or wrong" about taste preference.

It's like arguing about the best pizza in the city or the best beer. we all will agree to disagree.

no, very familiar with this since dave portnoy pizza and all he talks about is new haven being the pizza capitol of the world..

again, cheese and sauce on a cracker just doesnt do it for me. to each his own.
There are 2 real pizza questions to me

1. What is true Pittsburgh Style pizza? Is it Mineos/Fiori's style or Betos style. I say Mineos. I would call the other mon valley style.

2. Does Cleveland Style really exist? Ive heard of some semi Chicago type version, but I've never ever had good pizza in Cleveland or NE Ohio.

Does anyone else find it odd that there is an argument over where true "coney island" hot dogs are from?

There are 2 real pizza questions to me

1. What is true Pittsburgh Style pizza? Is it Mineos/Fiori's style or Betos style. I say Mineos. I would call the other mon valley style.

2. Does Cleveland Style really exist? Ive heard of some semi Chicago type version, but I've never ever had good pizza in Cleveland or NE Ohio.
betos is "lunchables" for adults. garbage product, and i'll die on that hill.

• Haha
Reactions: mlvnsmly
True story...

When I was dating my future wife, her family invited me for a hamburger and hot dog picnic in their backyard, where they had an in-ground swimming pool.

Not wanting to arrive empty handed, I drove to New Castle first and bought a few pints of MP Coney Island chili sauce.

I didn't know that my future mother-in-law made her own recipe of chili sauce to use to top the hot dogs. Its consistency was like a sloppy Joe.

When I handed her my chili sauce to warm up, she looked at it and said, "Ewwww! I'm not eating this dog sh*t!" 🤣 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Farnox
This thread is incredibly entertaining and along with the other fast food threads on this board is very revealing why health care costs are so high in the US. :cool:

Reactions: USN_Panther
The Detroit style pizza never really had the broad fan base of the Detroit coney dog. Until the Food networks started focusing on it as they inevitably do and somebody started marketing it nationally a few years ago trying to turn it into the next Chicago Style pizza trend it was really just a local thing.

And it is damned delicious.
We have a Detroit pizza here in North Carolina. Their "pizza" is very good, but I have a hard time thinking of it as pizza. It is too thick and chewy. I just consider it a different Italian-style meal.

I think he was referring to breweries
Then I have the same question. We just keep adding them here. Competition will inevitably drive some to close, but the overall number will be a relatively high percentage of restaurants (as a comparable business).

We have a Detroit pizza here in North Carolina. Their "pizza" is very good, but I have a hard time thinking of it as pizza. It is too thick and chewy. I just consider it a different Italian-style meal.

I like the Detroit style, too. Don't like deep dish, though. That's definitely not pizza.

True story...

When I was dating my future wife, her family invited me for a hamburger and hot dog picnic in their backyard, where they had an in-ground swimming pool.

Not wanting to arrive empty handed, I drove to New Castle first and bought a few pints of MP Coney Island chili sauce.

I didn't know that my future mother-in-law made her own recipe of chili sauce to use to top the hot dogs. Its consistency was like a sloppy Joe.

When I handed her my chili sauce to warm up, she looked at it and said, "Ewwww! I'm not eating this dog sh*t!" 🤣 🤷‍♂️🤣
What she did was stir fry ground beef for an hour, the reason the NC chili liquifies is that it cooks like 12 hours and the beef and onions practically melt. I've heard people call it baby sh!t before too.

Might be one of the better, more civil, more well-reasoned, less political, less personal and more enjoyable debates every had on this board. Not to mention it's making me hungry. I give it two Coneys up--Detroit style of course 🌭🌭

b4d28e09-773a-4215-94a3-297d6e459f06-2022-1015-mo-coney305.JPG

• Haha
I like the Detroit style, too. Don't like deep dish, though. That's definitely not pizza.
All Detroit style is square deep dish. Not stuffed like Chicago style deep dish, but a deep square pan. Buddy's is the OG and face of Detroit Style pizza, but there are better offerings at smaller, less well-known places.

BuddysPizza.jpg

FWIW, I don't think there's anything in the wide world of pizza better than a really well-made Chicago style stuffed pizza. Ironically, the best Chicago stuffed pizza I've ever had, and I've had all the top Chicago contenders, was at Pizza Papalis in Detroit's Greektown neighborhood.

images

Again, all the FACTS you provide doesn't prove anything other than Detroit is way bigger than New Castle. There is no way to determine which is the best hot dog or best chili sauce, it's all opinion based. of course the Detroit version will have more votes than the New Castle version, that city is like 1000 times bigger. But you can't determine conclusively that it's ''better'', like you can't in any way PROVE that Memphis BBQ is better than Kansas City BBQ, or NY pizza is better than Chicago pizza, all you can prove is that Detroit hot dogs or sauce is more well known, there is no BETTER, each individual would have to taste all the versions and then have an opinion based on personal preference. And I do have Detroit and Michigan friends, maybe the topic never came up, I've visited there a couple times and we didn't go for hot dogs. I'd like to try their sauce, see how it stacks up?
Likewise, I'd love to try those NC coney dogs. I think everyone would be a winner in a face-off.

Reactions: Pitt79
Likewise, I'd love to try those NC coney dogs. I think everyone would be a winner in a face-off.
After the "Coney wars" have reached a friendly and amicable truce, I'll introduce you to the "Margie Dog".

This is named after the Mom of one of my childhood friends, who worked as a cook at a local bar/restaurant/dive and invented it in the 1960s. The "Margie Dogs" were ordered in bulk and delivered to many steelworkers/factory workers/office workers in the Shenango Valley.

ra6f-Basilones-meals.jpg

Yes, a hot pepper sauce tops the hot dogs and it is DELICIOUS!

After the "Coney wars" have reached a friendly and amicable truce, I'll introduce you to the "Margie Dog".

This is named after the Mom of one of my childhood friends, who worked as a cook at a local bar/restaurant/dive and invented it in the 1960s. The "Margie Dogs" were ordered in bulk and delivered to many steelworkers/factory workers/office workers in the Shenango Valley.

ra6f-Basilones-meals.jpg

damn those look good..

All Detroit style is square deep dish. Not stuffed like Chicago style deep dish, but a deep square pan. Buddy's is the OG and face of Detroit Style pizza, but there are better offerings at smaller, less well-known places.

BuddysPizza.jpg

FWIW, I don't think there's anything in the wide world of pizza better than a really well-made Chicago style stuffed pizza. Ironically, the best Chicago stuffed pizza I've ever had, and I've had all the top Chicago contenders, was at Pizza Papalis in Detroit's Greektown neighborhood.

images
i always thought the detroit style was a thinner crust, made on a traditional cookie sheet/tray. but i could definitely be wrong.

actually, just google imaged it and you seem to be right. deeper dish. So what is this called?

Best Pizza in Greensburg PA (Updated Fall 2023) - Pizza Oven Radar

I prefer a cleaner style Chicago dog.

BuddysPizza.jpg

images

I hate Chicago style pizza. Love their dogs and italian beef, but I find the pizza to be way overboard. It's just a giant mass of cheese, meat and sauce that sits in your stomach like a lump.

I'll take New York style, or any restaurant that can even remotely come close to real Italian / Neapolitan style pizza.

Might be one of the better, more civil, more well-reasoned, less political, less personal and more enjoyable debates every had on this board. Not to mention it's making me hungry. I give it two Coneys up--Detroit style of course 🌭🌭

b4d28e09-773a-4215-94a3-297d6e459f06-2022-1015-mo-coney305.JPG
It's different, the chili is supposed to be poured above the onions, I'm sure it's good, that looks like my dad in another life :)

6-dogs-with-everything.jpg

ra6f-Basilones-meals.jpg

Looks good, like putting hot salsa on a dog.

BuddysPizza.jpg

images

Detroit seems to be deeper but lighter. It has the feel of pizza when eating it. Chicago deep dish just seems like a thick mess of ingredients. Not my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT