ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Food Trucks

After the "Coney wars" have reached a friendly and amicable truce, I'll introduce you to the "Margie Dog".

This is named after the Mom of one of my childhood friends, who worked as a cook at a local bar/restaurant/dive and invented it in the 1960s. The "Margie Dogs" were ordered in bulk and delivered to many steelworkers/factory workers/office workers in the Shenango Valley.

ra6f-Basilones-meals.jpg

Yes, a hot pepper sauce tops the hot dogs and it is DELICIOUS!
Solid little contribution to the discussion. Well done.

i always thought the detroit style was a thinner crust, made on a traditional cookie sheet/tray. but i could definitely be wrong.

actually, just google imaged it and you seem to be right. deeper dish. So what is this called?

Best Pizza in Greensburg PA (Updated Fall 2023) - Pizza Oven Radar

With all due respect I know I'm right, I've lived in metro Detroit for 46 years and on average our family gets one Buddy's deep dish per week.

Not sure about those--maybe a Sicilian-style?

here's a decent primer on the D-troyt pie:

https://www.eater.com/2016/1/19/10787414/detroit-style-pizza-best-where-to-eat

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I prefer a cleaner style Chicago dog.

I hate Chicago style pizza. Love their dogs and italian beef, but I find the pizza to be way overboard. It's just a giant mass of cheese, meat and sauce that sits in your stomach like a lump.

I'll take New York style, or any restaurant that can even remotely come close to real Italian / Neapolitan style pizza.
Chicago stuffed is definitely hard on the innards. Best to go home shortly after eating one and stay within short range of the bathroom. Love the stuff though, but it's been a few years since I've had one.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
There are 2 real pizza questions to me

1. What is true Pittsburgh Style pizza? Is it Mineos/Fiori's style or Betos style. I say Mineos. I would call the other mon valley style.

2. Does Cleveland Style really exist? Ive heard of some semi Chicago type version, but I've never ever had good pizza in Cleveland or NE Ohio.
I don't think Pittsburgh has a "style" per se. I think people get way too hung up on these things. It is has a good variety of different styles. It's a good pizza city despite what snobs say. Like I have been saying for years, pizza is nostalgic for many. So it is what you grew up with.

This thread is incredibly entertaining and along with the other fast food threads on this board is very revealing why health care costs are so high in the US. :cool:

Americans eat more. And portion sizes are much bigger here. I would say that Americans live to eat and Europeans eat to live. They have fast food too but its not ingrained in the culture as much. And certainly not all you can eat buffets.

Chicago stuffed is definitely hard on the innards. Best to go home shortly after eating one and stay within short range of the bathroom. Love the stuff though, but it's been a few years since I've had one.
I just don't do it anymore, and I have a stomach that can eat just about any type of food. Just sits there like I swallowed a stone... Prefer Detroit style over Chicago.

Americans eat more. And portion sizes are much bigger here. I would say that Americans live to eat and Europeans eat to live. They have fast food too but its not ingrained in the culture as much. And certainly not all you can eat buffets.
Have you been to Europe? If so, what countries? Certainly not Greece, Italy or Eastern European countries like Russia, Turkey or Georgia.

I love Buddy's. And their salad is awesome too.
Buddy’s antipasto salad. Excellent.

Thurgood, next time you’re in the D, try Loui’s pizza in Hazel Park. Little old school divy place in a blue collar neighborhood. Very loyal following and many feel it’s the best Detroit pizza and antipasto salad there is.

As legend has it, shortly after Buddy’s opened in the 40s, 2 of the 3 original partners split off to do their own Detroit style thing. One started Shields and tried to grow it into a chain. It’s meh. The other started Loui’s in Hazel Park, and it has been going strong in that one location for decades. The pizza is great. They sell their own Chianti in the little wicker bottles too. Very homey and neighborhood feeling. Give it a look.

Postscript note: the best made and best tasting D style pizza you can get IMO is still at the original Buddy’s location on 7 mile road in a crappy neighborhood.

Last edited:
Buddy’s antipasto salad. Excellent.

Thurgood, next time you’re in the D, try Loui’s pizza in Hazel Park. Little old school divy place in a blue collar neighborhood. Very loyal following and many feel it’s the best Detroit pizza and antipasto salad there is.

As legend has it, shortly after Buddy’s opened in the 40s, 2 of the 3 original partners split off to do their own Detroit style thing. One started Shields and tried to grow it into a chain. It’s meh. The other started Loui’s in Hazel Park, and it has been going strong in that one location for decades. The pizza is great. They sell their own Chianti in the little wicker bottles too. Very homey and neighborhood feeling. Give it a look.
OMG! OMG! OMG!
You called him "Thurgood"!

tenor.gif

Reactions: USN_Panther
With all due respect I know I'm right, I've lived in metro Detroit for 46 years and on average our family gets one Buddy's deep dish per week.

Not sure about those--maybe a Sicilian-style?

here's a decent primer on the D-troyt pie:

https://www.eater.com/2016/1/19/10787414/detroit-style-pizza-best-where-to-eat
The local place has exactly what you pictured in a previous post.

Detroiter.jpeg

They have a description of Detroit pizza:

• Square or rectangular in shape.

• The steel pan used provides superior heat conductivity and caramelization on the crust (the mark of the great Detroit-style pizza).
  • Thick crust – light and airy inside, crispy outside.

• Cheese is spread to the edges of the pan.

• After the cheese, any additional toppings can be placed on top.

• Last is the sauce – placed on top and in rows. This is why it’s earned the nicknames “red top pizza” and “upside down pizza.” Placing the sauce on top allows for a fluffier crust.

• As the pizza bakes the cheese slowly melts down the sides and forms a delicious, caramelized rim of crust.

The local place has exactly what you pictured in a previous post.

Detroiter.jpeg

They have a description of Detroit pizza:

• Square or rectangular in shape.

• The steel pan used provides superior heat conductivity and caramelization on the crust (the mark of the great Detroit-style pizza).
  • Thick crust – light and airy inside, crispy outside.

• Cheese is spread to the edges of the pan.

• After the cheese, any additional toppings can be placed on top.

• Last is the sauce – placed on top and in rows. This is why it’s earned the nicknames “red top pizza” and “upside down pizza.” Placing the sauce on top allows for a fluffier crust.

• As the pizza bakes the cheese slowly melts down the sides and forms a delicious, caramelized rim of crust.

very close-one minor but important difference-the pepperoni is always under the cheese in a proper Detroit style pie, and the cheese is always a Wisconsin brick cheese. Can’t tell on yours but that looks like mozzarella.

None the less, that pie in the pic looks yummy and you have my approval to wolf it down and claim it as a Detroit style pizza.

Reactions: NCPitt
very close-one minor but important difference-the pepperoni is always under the cheese in a proper Detroit style pie, and the cheese is always a Wisconsin brick cheese. Can’t tell on yours but that looks like mozzarella.

None the less, that pie in the pic looks yummy and you have my approval to wolf it down and claim it as a Detroit style pizza.
Yep. It is mozzarella according to the menu.

Pi-Squared

Boars Head is solid for a mass produced, packaged product intended for grocery store shelves.

For the really good stuff when in Michigan, try:
  • Zingerman's in Ann Arbor
  • Hygrade Deli-Detroit
  • Mudgie's-Detroit
  • Frank's Deli-Detroit
  • Vivio's--Detroit
  • Star Deli-Southfield
  • Frenchies-Traverse City

agree, Boars Head is good.

i got my kid a wendys cheeseburger, coke and fries for 12 bucks last week.. i could have gotten a "real" burger at a restaurant for that.

good point about food trucks. it always seems like such a good idea til you get the food and then you realize why you dont get food from a food truck.

with that said, there is this lobster roll food truck around south hills that freakin looks delicious and i have yet to try. i suspect i'll finally find it, get one and then realize that eating seafood from a food truck sounds better than it actually is..
Doritos blows away the fast food spots. When my son wants a burger and fries I call Doritos. It's $9 for a burger and fries for him. Takes just as long as driving down to McDonald's/Wendy's over there as it does to call in the order then wait 10 minutes to pick it up. Have you been to Park Social often?

Doritos blows away the fast food spots. When my son wants a burger and fries I call Doritos. It's $9 for a burger and fries for him. Takes just as long as driving down to McDonald's/Wendy's over there as it does to call in the order then wait 10 minutes to pick it up. Have you been to Park Social often?
yeah, im a doritos fan, thats a good call on take out..

i go up with the wifey to park social with her, she and her friends do the bar bingo thing. it's ok, she and her friends go buy some bingo cards and she gives me two and i drink beer and play bingo. i tell her to go and enjoy a night without me but for some reason she wants me to come. so i go, drink and watch pitt on the tv and lose at bingo..

not a huge fan of that bar to be honest but i guess it's good if you are with a group of people.

By the way, Pitt should have a game that is a "Food Truck Day". Meaning they invite a bunch of Pittsburgh based food trucks to have food available for fans to purchase before and after the game. Sort of like the set up for the rib fest. Maybe have a pre or post game concert. Maybe students who stay until the end can get a free voucher to use. Sounds like a win win. Just don't do it for the East Alaska State game, where there won't be a lot of fans in attendance.

By the way, Pitt should have a game that is a "Food Truck Day". Meaning they invite a bunch of Pittsburgh based food trucks to have food available for fans to purchase before and after the game. Sort of like the set up for the rib fest. Maybe have a pre or post game concert. Maybe students who stay until the end can get a free voucher to use. Sounds like a win win. Just don't do it for the East Alaska State game, where there won't be a lot of fans in attendance.
That's a great idea, but I bet there's some contract with vendors they already have that would prevent that.

I gave up food trucks when I saw a guy inside one changing his shirt and he was as hairy as George the Animal Steele.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
The brewpubs are not sustainable. No one needs or I cannot even imagine a market that craves that many "craft" beers. And these things are the ultimate of hipster activities, who move like locusts from one place to another when something new and shiny hits their radar. Wearing ski caps in 88 degree weather with ironic "I don't care" beards that are way too unruly.
I'm a 64 year old craft beer lover that goes to brew pubs and doesn't meet any of your idiotically stereotyped descriptions of their patrons. Your stunted and jaundiced opinion is simply your opinion, and I find it to be bullsh*t, having gone to brewpubs around the country since the mid 1990's. Some people like to try locally made, usually good, beer.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I'm a 64 year old craft beer lover that goes to brew pubs and doesn't meet any of your idiotically stereotyped descriptions of their patrons. Your stunted and jaundiced opinion is simply your opinion, and I find it to be bullsh*t, having gone to brewpubs around the country since the mid 1990's. Some people like to try locally made, usually good, beer.
Anytime I'm traveling I'm looking for a craft brewery, or what is local on the tap list. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather drink water than that horrible, mass produced swill they passed off as beer for so many years.

Anyone who thinks it's a hipster fad doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Anytime I'm traveling I'm looking for a craft brewery, or what is local on the tap list. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather drink water than that horrible, mass produced swill they passed off as beer for so many years.

Anyone who thinks it's a hipster fad doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.
“Hipster fad” over 30 years running. Getting stronger all the time. The demand has never cooled.

Weird take by the learned jurist.

The brewpubs are not sustainable. No one needs or I cannot even imagine a market that craves that many "craft" beers. And these things are the ultimate of hipster activities, who move like locusts from one place to another when something new and shiny hits their radar. Wearing ski caps in 88 degree weather with ironic "I don't care" beards that are way too unruly.

I used to think this about 10 years into the microbrew trend that began in earnest in the early 90s. I think it's safe to say it's no longer a trend, it's firmly part of our economy in the U.S.

The past year saw the lowest level of beer consumed in the U.S. in a generation, according to industry group Beer Marketer's Insights. Overgrowth and less demand aren't great things for an industry.

Anecdotally, 412 Brewery is on its 3rd owner and 2nd name in the last 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT