ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Food Trucks

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Is it just me or have they gotten expensive? I used to be able to get a relatively inexpensive, yet filling and good lunch at the food trucks in Oakland. Now it seems like many of these trucks (at least in my area) cost the same as a sit down restaurant meal, which begs the questions... Why get food from a food truck when a nearby restaurant will be the same price, with heat or AC and be more relaxing?

Is it just me or have they gotten expensive? I used to be able to get a relatively inexpensive, yet filling and good lunch at the food trucks in Oakland. Now it seems like many of these trucks cost the same as a sit down restaurant meal, which begs the questions... Why get food from a food truck when a nearby restaurant will be the same price, with heat or AC and be more relaxing?
i got my kid a wendys cheeseburger, coke and fries for 12 bucks last week.. i could have gotten a "real" burger at a restaurant for that.

good point about food trucks. it always seems like such a good idea til you get the food and then you realize why you dont get food from a food truck.

with that said, there is this lobster roll food truck around south hills that freakin looks delicious and i have yet to try. i suspect i'll finally find it, get one and then realize that eating seafood from a food truck sounds better than it actually is..

i got my kid a wendys cheeseburger, coke and fries for 12 bucks last week.. i could have gotten a "real" burger at a restaurant for that.

good point about food trucks. it always seems like such a good idea til you get the food and then you realize why you dont get food from a food truck.

with that said, there is this lobster roll food truck around south hills that freakin looks delicious and i have yet to try. i suspect i'll finally find it, get one and then realize that eating seafood from a food truck sounds better than it actually is..

Cousins Maine. They came to my neighborhood last year but seem to pop up locally quite a bit. Its good.

Food trucks are expensive. Fast food is expensive. Chik Fil A lines seem to have gone down. Perhaps price increases have had something to do with that. Got 2 #1 meals and a separate sandwich the other day for $26.

On the other hand, Subway is 2 subs for $6 like its 1998 again if you order on the app. Sheetz has 2 hot dogs for $1 if you use your rewards and Sam's and Costco food is basically free.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

That one's actually a chain/franchise believe it or not. Food trucks are now corporations haha.

Is it just me or have they gotten expensive? I used to be able to get a relatively inexpensive, yet filling and good lunch at the food trucks in Oakland. Now it seems like many of these trucks (at least in my area) cost the same as a sit down restaurant meal, which begs the questions... Why get food from a food truck when a nearby restaurant will be the same price, with heat or AC and be more relaxing?
When food trucks became "trendy" they became expensive and unsatisfying. Good marketing lures you in though. It always sounds amazing until you get the total and taste the food.

It certainly isn't like the old days across from Hillman when a food truck was just a cheaper way for people to run a business.

Reactions: CJsE
They've been expensive for a while, and the food was always mid. Never been a fan unless it's the only option available.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
The "becoming your parents" commercial where the dude says he's just paying for his own salad is spot on.

I remember working at Panera back in the day. People used to complain about a You Pick Two being $4.95.

Probably taking advantage of the general laziness (i.e. not wanting to cook) that seems to plague people these days. Although it also seems like everyone has reset their prices post-covid - some way less in accordance with general inflation than others.

The "becoming your parents" commercial where the dude says he's just paying for his own salad is spot on.

I remember working at Panera back in the day. People used to complain about a You Pick Two being $4.95.

Probably taking advantage of the general laziness (i.e. not wanting to cook) that seems to plague people these days. Although it also seems like everyone has reset their prices post-covid - some way less in accordance with general inflation than others.

Speaking of overpriced, Panera might me #1 on my list. For food that is just getting reheated, they sure charge a lot and I don't even understand their menu. For a half ham sandwich, cup of soup and bottle of water it's like $15. If I wanted to pay that much... I'd go to a food truck 🤣

I mean, I can buy a whole rotisserie chicken, bag of potatoes and fresh vegetables for under $15 and get at least 5 individual meals out of that.

Speaking of overpriced, Panera might me #1 on my list. For food that is just getting reheated, they sure charge a lot and I don't even understand their menu. For a half ham sandwich, cup of soup and bottle of water it's like $15. If I wanted to pay that much... I'd go to a food truck 🤣

I mean, I can buy a whole rotisserie chicken, bag of potatoes and fresh vegetables for under $15 and get at least 5 individual meals out of that.

You know what I always hated but my wife loved. Boston Market. So glad its gone. Thought it was so overpriced for what you got and this was back in the day when fast foot was cheap.

Reactions: BillyWestFan
Food trucks used to have a stigma of cheap food brought to worker's sites! They now have really good food but yes the price is much higher. Cousins in the NHs has quite the reputation and have had the lobster roll many times and always tastes great.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s food trucks had the nickname of "Roach Coach". Fast forward in time they're all of a sudden considered vogue. Baffling...

Reactions: mike 301

If you did a blind taste test and fed people Panera and hospital food, I don't think many would be able to determine which was which

agree 100%. screw panera.

The way to go is getting a hot rotisserie chicken at giant eagle, it's like 5 bucks, feeds a small family. get a side and you got a dinner for 4 for under 10 bucks.

They now have really good food but yes the price is much higher.
In my experience it's much more accurate to say that they all have a much higher price and you can get lucky one-in-a-while and get really good food. Usually it's worse than what you could get at any nearby restaurant.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
Break n Eat used to come every morning where I used to work .Think they were located in Noth hills somewhere .
Pretty good coffee and a decent breakfast sandwich . And yes it was much cheaper than Mc D's . Plus I loved flirting with the chick that drove/operated it . A hottie for a girl my age at the time I must say .

Are the ones on Bigelow pricey now? India on Wheels was one of my go to’s when I was Pitt a decade-ish ago. Their food was well portioned, delicious (and I’ve been to India), and only like $5-6 for an entree that would cost around $10 more at any Indian restaurant. I miss it.

Why would anyone get food off a truck and sit in some uncomfortable atmosphere and try to eat and enjoy.
Sorry. I want a Table, a beer, and a rest room..

Last edited:
Reactions: pittbb80
Why would anyone get food off a truck and sit in some uncomfortable atmosphere and try to eat and enjoy.
Sorry. I want a. Table, beer and a rest room..
1964__30716.1585173169.jpg

Reactions: Pitt1975
Two things. And this is important so please note.

1) Most food trucks are not some amateurs. In fact in most cases they are really talented chefs/people who are trying to get established year a brick and mortar restaurant which is way too expensive of an investment chance.
2) If you grocery stop, regardless of political leanings, food prices are ridiculous. So it costs more. It cost more whether it is McDonald's, Capital Grille or Burgatory food truck.

The good thing is it allows talented people some creativity outlet without bankrupting them.

Reactions: NCPitt
I don't mind food truck food if I'm at a brewery or distillery without a actual kitchen but that's about it. I feel the same as Pitt1975.
Sorry. I want a. Table, beer and a rest room..

Had Five Guys for lunch today. Regular burger, regular fries and a regular soft drink was $20.50.

Best thing about food trucks is that they aren't a death trap to teenagers like your average Chick-fil-a.
are you implying that your typical food from a food truck is somehow healthier for you than a chick-fil-a?

I'd disagree with that one..

Go look at the thread I linked in the other comment. Can't believe nobody else is picking that up.
i remember the thread, not sure the point you are making. Chick Fil A continues to be the absolute pioneer in fast food customer service and efficiency. Their model gets replicated by all the others.

and for a chicken sandwich which is ok but still just a chicken sandwich. whatever they are doing, they have it figured out..

Reactions: pbrad
i remember the thread, not sure the point you are making. Chick Fil A continues to be the absolute pioneer in fast food customer service and efficiency. Their model gets replicated by all the others.

and for a chicken sandwich which is ok but still just a chicken sandwich. whatever they are doing, they have it figured out..
The claims were that the kids outside working the drive through were in mortal danger.

The claims were that the kids outside working the drive through were in mortal danger.
lol, Thoughts and prayers to 17 and 18 year old kids who have to work outside. Could you imagine? Oh wait, 99% of us have done this..

that thread was amusing to say the least..

Back to food trucks, i got to try this lobster roll truck. i think SMF or someone else said it's good. As long as they dont put freakin mayo on it and use butter, im gonna go for it. The butter vs Mayo on a lobster roll debate is unreal, cant believe anyone would want to F*** up lobster meat with mayo..

lol, Thoughts and prayers to 17 and 18 year old kids who have to work outside. Could you imagine? Oh wait, 99% of us have done this..

Back to food trucks, i got to try this lobster roll truck. i think SMF or someone else said it's good. As long as they dont put freakin mayo on it and use butter, im gonna go for it. The butter vs Mayo on a lobster roll debate is unreal, cant believe anyone would want to F*** up lobster meat with mayo..
I don't have an opinion about the proper topping for a lobster roll but I generally find that sandwich places go overboard with mayo.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Is it just me or have they gotten expensive?.....uh what hasn't in the last few years? Seems like just yesterday a combo meal at a fast food restaurant was around 5-6 bucks...

Reactions: pbrad and Jeffburgh
I'm getting food truck food in about 30 minutes at the A&P show. Have some good ones in this little farming community.

Costco, large pizza with pepperoni $10, hot dog with a drink $1.50, whole rotisserie chicken $4.95. Can't beat it.

agree 100%. screw panera.

The way to go is getting a hot rotisserie chicken at giant eagle, it's like 5 bucks, feeds a small family. get a side and you got a dinner for 4 for under 10 bucks.
The lemon pepper chicken at Walmart is the greatest deal on the planet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT