ADVERTISEMENT

Lyke - Nominated for AD of the Year

TheSpecialSauce

Chancellor
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2019
Congratulations!
Well deserved

If only baseball, volleyball, soccer, and lacrosse made money. Her basketball hire has been a failure and we will be eating a large buyout soon and Narduzzi has plateaued. The 2 sports that matter are in a lot of trouble
Yeah your the authority figure......zzzzzzzzzz and it really doesn't matter what u and a handful of jackals on here say. H2P!

If only baseball, volleyball, soccer, and lacrosse made money. Her basketball hire has been a failure and we will be eating a large buyout soon and Narduzzi has plateaued. The 2 sports that matter are in a lot of trouble
This might blow your mind but the AD's job isn't to generate revenue. I'm also curious how the "2 sports that matter are in a lot of trouble". Did Capel doom Pitt to a death penalty violation? Is the football program looking at how to dig its way out of the ACC basement?

Congratulations to AD Lyke and her team. This was perennially the least-successful athletic department in the country just a year or two ago, and the way she’s changed the culture at Pitt has been remarkable. If she wins, it would absolutely be well-deserved.

Think of it as a “Coach of the Year” award - they’re usually awarded to the coach who is determined to have done the most with the least, rather than the coach like Nick Saban who has the most to work with.

This might blow your mind but the AD's job isn't to generate revenue. I'm also curious how the "2 sports that matter are in a lot of trouble". Did Capel doom Pitt to a death penalty violation? Is the football program looking at how to dig its way out of the ACC basement?
The AD's job is to ensure the men's basketball and football team win games. That's it. Everything else is a distant 2nd.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Pitt basketball is in serious trouble. SERIOUS trouble. Capel will likely be fired after the 22-23 season with 4 years left on his contract.

As for Narduzzi, we're consistently mediocre. Maybe we can never be anything more.

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
Yes because despite never attending or watching an Olympic sport game on TV, you weirdly place a very high value on the success of those teams. The love you guys have for teams you do not watch and know nothing about is beyond strange.
I've attended Pitt Olympic sports several times and loved how much they've improved these past couple of years. I'm sure you know what everyone does on here Miss Cleo and 😂🤣

Like clockwork. Packer has the exact opposite view of Pitt football than you.

Reactions: pittmeister
I've attended Pitt Olympic sports several times and loved how much they've improved these past couple of years.
No, you don't love it. You dont go to the games and you dont watch them on TV. You do NOT care one ounce about Pitt olympic sports. Very few people do. You are pretending to care because you feel like its the right thing to say on an anonymous message board.

Reactions: Pitt79
Congratulations!
Fantastic. Well deserved. Give her a raise.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The AD's job is to ensure the men's basketball and football team win games. That's it. Everything else is a distant 2nd.
The job is more complexed than that. The job of the AD is to oversea all aspects of the athletic department. The most important thing is for the AD to field competitive teams in every sport. Not championship teams, but competitive teams. Competitive teams create interest. Interest creates donors, future alumni, etc… Yes, football and basketball are the most important for drawing revenue but Pitt has been competitive in both sports sans the last few years with basketball…

Ok. What is it? To graduate student-athletes? lol.

I'd like to nominate Sean Miller Fan for "Troll of the Year". There really hasn't been anyone on this board that has created more useless posts and continues to bead the dead horse by responding like clockwork with "Olympic Sports are bad" and for starting Covid thread after Covid thread. Nobody has done more to lower themselves to the point to where he's now beating the drum that the football and basketball programs are "in serious trouble". Please give a shout out to 2020-21's nominee for "King Troll" of the Lair.

Like clockwork. Packer has the exact opposite view of Pitt football than you.

The view of Pitt and athletics are very different than the views of some of the trolls on this message board. People at the other ACC schools love what Pitt brings to the table.

Also, the big time donors and alumni have a VERY different view of Heather and what she has accomplished at Pitt. Trust me…

I'd like to nominate Sean Miller Fan for "Troll of the Year". There really hasn't been anyone on this board that has created more useless posts and continues to bead the dead horse by responding like clockwork with "Olympic Sports are bad" and for starting Covid thread after Covid thread. Nobody has done more to lower themselves to the point to where he's now beating the drum that the football and basketball programs are "in serious trouble". Please give a shout out to 2020-21's nominee for "King Troll" of the Lair.
Can you tell me what an AD's primary job is? Im waiting. Apparently winning men's basketball and football games is not the primary job of a P5 AD so please tell me what it is.

Sure, olympic sports are doing well but when the men's basketball coach you hired is struggling mightily to the point you are going to have eat 4-5 years of a contract you gave him, you cannot be winning AD of the Year awards.

The view of Pitt and athletics are very different than the views of some of the trolls on this message board.
They don't view men's basketball or football with much importance? Listen, I'd be cool with that. I love soccer. If they can monetize men's (or women's) soccer, maybe expand their stadium to 10K and make that the primary sport, I can live with that.

No, you don't love it. You dont go to the games and you dont watch them on TV. You do NOT care one ounce about Pitt olympic sports. Very few people do. You are pretending to care because you feel like its the right thing to say on an anonymous message board.
Plzzz, have gone to several of them. Just because you troll the shit out of a Pitt message board doesn't give u the right to call posters out and tell people what they do. Take a long walk off a short pier.

If you ever met HL I'm sure she'd really be impressed with you 😂🤣🤣😂

Here are the job responsibilities for the AD at Texas Tech just using as example I am sure there are others.
Can't find just Win FB and BB games anywhere

Responsibilities: The Athletic Director is responsible for the development, management, coordination and supervision of a competitive intercollegiate athletics program with 17 programs, more than 50 coaches, and more than 350 student athletes. The Athletic Director also (1) provides visionary leadership, strategic planning and policy development for the athletics program; (2) maintains an athletics program that is committed to the university’s mission and strategic priorities; (3) works with the Texas Tech University System’s development office to raise funds for the athletic department; (4) administers the overall athletic budget; (5) recruits and manages the coaching staff; and (5) ensures compliance with all university, national association and conference policies, rules and regulations. The Athletic Director reports directly to the President of Texas Tech University. This position also serves as a member of the President’s Administrative Cabinet.

Reactions: caleco's
Can you tell me what an AD's primary job is? Im waiting. Apparently winning men's basketball and football games is not the primary job of a P5 AD so please tell me what it is.

Sure, olympic sports are doing well but when the men's basketball coach you hired is struggling mightily to the point you are going to have eat 4-5 years of a contract you gave him, you cannot be winning AD of the Year awards.
Google is your friend. Learn how to use it before shooting your mouth off.

This may also surprise you but if one, even two programs are not meeting expectations, it does not mean the AD is doing a poor job.

Reactions: TFBaum and 303vND

You are truly a buffoon with 99% of you takes. An AD is like a mayor, if the two biggest houses continue to be maintained and become rich while the rest of the town falls apart into shambles and some business have to be boarded up would they be considered a successful mayor? No. Heather has grown the Pitt town across the board and that includes football and basketball. Success across the board, the basketball team has moved from maybe the worst P5 team to middle of the pack/competitive in the ACC and the football has built some stability where we are beginning to raise expectations.

Reactions: caleco's

They aren't in trouble. Those sports are mediocre and Pitt is fine with that. Football and Basketball are used to bring in conference revenue to be used for the other sports.

Here are the job responsibilities for the AD at Texas Tech just using as example I am sure there are others.
Can't find just Win FB and BB games anywhere

Responsibilities: The Athletic Director is responsible for the development, management, coordination and supervision of a competitive intercollegiate athletics program with 17 programs, more than 50 coaches, and more than 350 student athletes. The Athletic Director also (1) provides visionary leadership, strategic planning and policy development for the athletics program; (2) maintains an athletics program that is committed to the university’s mission and strategic priorities; (3) works with the Texas Tech University System’s development office to raise funds for the athletic department; (4) administers the overall athletic budget; (5) recruits and manages the coaching staff; and (5) ensures compliance with all university, national association and conference policies, rules and regulations. The Athletic Director reports directly to the President of Texas Tech University. This position also serves as a member of the President’s Administrative Cabinet.
My God do I wish there was an IQ test required to post on these boards.

The AD's job is to ensure the football and basketball games win games while hiring a staff competent enough to do the very basic things like facilities, compliance, etc

None of you care about any of the Pitt Olympics sports besides "The Panthers." You dont watch them. You arent fans. You are idiots who post on a football message board how volleyball and baseball success somehow deem an AD as "successful" when the men's basketball program is a total disaster and the football program hasnt been relevant in its own city for 40 years.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I've said before before but it obviously needs repeating - you have no clue what an AD's job is.
What is a CEO's job? A million things, sure. But what is it really? Increase the share price and pay dividends to shareholders. That's essentially it.

Yea, I mean I get that an AD has a lot of sh!t to do but almost none of it matters if your football and basketball teams aren't winning. The AD's job is to make sure those teams win. If they dont, revenues and donations drop big time. Dont be stupid.

What is a CEO's job? A million things, sure. But what is it really? Increase the share price and pay dividends to shareholders. That's essentially it.

Yea, I mean I get that an AD has a lot of sh!t to do but almost none of it matters if your football and basketball teams aren't winning. The AD's job is to make sure those teams win. If they dont, revenues and donations drop big time. Dont be stupid.
I've posted this before but I will post it again because you cannot understand the AD role until you understand the role of sports in college.

The purpose of college athletics is to reward those willing to put in the work and who have special talent with an education they may not have been able to acquire through other means. It’s to put a group of kids on a field or court and let them represent the values of their school with pride. It’s to turn kids into adults through values of discipline, sportsmanship, and work ethic. The purpose of college sports is not to increase revenue. That’s the by-product of a good sports program.

The purpose of college sports is not to get to the professional level. Professional sports is a by-product of the values outlined above coupled with incredible talent. Many of our country’s men in particular feel like if they’re good at a sport they don’t need to be well educated. They feel as if they can just make it to the NBA or the NFL then everything will be fine. But therein lies the problem. There are 400,000 NCAA athletes. 395,000 of them will never get paid to play their sport.

There has to be some sort of change.

Until we are able to truly understand that college sports aren’t about money there will be scandals. There will be teams finding loopholes in the system. And there will be coaches, players, and administrations that break the rules.

That’s the real purpose of college athletics. Turning kids into grown ups.
It’s not only about taking classes and it’s not only about shooting 70 percent from the free throw line. Education is a process to build independence and foster good decision-making.

That’s what it takes to be a good student and a good athlete. It’s also what it takes to be a good person and a good citizen. This is the purpose of college athletics.

We just don’t seem to realize it.

I could substitute "YOU" for "We" in the last sentence and it would be 100% accurate.

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/real-purpose-college-athletics-admc/

Reactions: TFBaum
I've posted this before but I will post it again because you cannot understand the AD role until you understand the role of sports in college.

The purpose of college athletics is to reward those willing to put in the work and who have special talent with an education they may not have been able to acquire through other means. It’s to put a group of kids on a field or court and let them represent the values of their school with pride. It’s to turn kids into adults through values of discipline, sportsmanship, and work ethic. The purpose of college sports is not to increase revenue. That’s the by-product of a good sports program.

The purpose of college sports is not to get to the professional level. Professional sports is a by-product of the values outlined above coupled with incredible talent. Many of our country’s men in particular feel like if they’re good at a sport they don’t need to be well educated. They feel as if they can just make it to the NBA or the NFL then everything will be fine. But therein lies the problem. There are 400,000 NCAA athletes. 395,000 of them will never get paid to play their sport.

There has to be some sort of change.

Until we are able to truly understand that college sports aren’t about money there will be scandals. There will be teams finding loopholes in the system. And there will be coaches, players, and administrations that break the rules.

It’s not only about taking classes and it’s not only about shooting 70 percent from the free throw line. Education is a process to build independence and foster good decision-making.

That’s what it takes to be a good student and a good athlete. It’s also what it takes to be a good person and a good citizen. This is the purpose of college athletics.

We just don’t seem to realize it.

I could substitute "YOU" for "We" in the last sentence and it would be 100% accurate.

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/real-purpose-college-athletics-admc/

Such a shame the NCAA doesn't actually care about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT