ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madden....spot on wrt Stillers

Exactly. Look at Jalen Ramsey. That fool is worse than anyone Pittsburgh has. Don't see anyone in the media demanding that the Jags coach reign him in.

The Jags are winning so it's much easier to swallow.

Tomlin has been here for a while now and it's been pretty regular drama for the last several years. The Steelers have only won three playoff games since they lost the Super Bowl to Green Bay in 2010. One of those wins was a gimme at the hands of the Bengals. In playoff losses in that time period, they're averaging 32 points against. They also missed the playoffs twice but never had a losing record.

Tomlin has enjoyed the luxury of inheriting a franchise QB and a run of good WR draft picks that's allowed them to average ten win seasons in a division that features two wins over the Browns most seasons.

Reactions: paulbl99

Tomlin has been here for a while now and it's been pretty regular drama for the last several years. The Steelers have only won three playoff games since they lost the Super Bowl to Green Bay in 2010. One of those wins was a gimme at the hands of the Bengals. In playoff losses in that time period, they're averaging 32 points against. They also missed the playoffs twice but never had a losing record.

Tomlin has enjoyed the luxury of inheriting a franchise QB and a run of good WR draft picks that's allowed them to average ten win seasons in a division that features two wins over the Browns most seasons.
I overall think Tomlin has been fine and the stuff occurring is pretty much SOP in pro sports these days. Star players rule the roost. It's evident how little leverage head coaches have in the NBA or NHL and its starting to be that way in the NFL (no idea of MLB, honestly long ago gave up on that).

One specific incident that would make me wonder on Tomlin was his tolerance for the antics of James Harrison the last year. If as described, that was significant sustained insubordination from a guy who frankly no longer deserved any kind of concession like that.

So the WR draft picks he gets no credit for either?

There are plenty of Hall of Fame qbs who don't play for/never play for champions. Right now we have Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Phillip Rivers as Hall of Fame qbs who teams have won nothing in recent years. I am wondering why only Big Ben is singled out as a "poor Hall of Fame qb who should be winning more titles but cant because of his coach?"

You also need to remember that of the last four seasons this person who is currently holding out was injured and did not play in the Steelers playoff game in which they lost. 2014 - injured, 2015 - injured, 2016 - injured just 3 carries? vs New England in the AFC title game.

You cant on one hand say Pittsburgh has all this talent and should be winning then ignore that a main chunk of their talent has been unavailable to them in the playoffs when needed the most.

There are plenty of Hall of Fame qbs who don't play for/never play for champions. Right now we have Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Phillip Rivers as Hall of Fame qbs who teams have won nothing in recent years. I am wondering why only Big Ben is singled out as a "poor Hall of Fame qb who should be winning more titles but cant because of his coach?"

You also need to remember that of the last four seasons this person who is currently holding out was injured and did not play in the Steelers playoff game in which they lost. 2014 - injured, 2015 - injured, 2016 - injured just 3 carries? vs New England in the AFC title game.

You cant on one hand say Pittsburgh has all this talent and should be winning then ignore that a main chunk of their talent has been unavailable to them in the playoffs when needed the most.
Belichick has shown running backs are a dime a dozen. ...heck he’s pretty much done that with WRs too. For that matter the rest of the team save for Brady.

That’s why nobody can beat Belichick in the playoffs, no?

Belichick has shown running backs are a dime a dozen. ...heck he’s pretty much done that with WRs too. For that matter the rest of the team save for Brady.

That’s why nobody can beat Belichick in the playoffs, no?

When your running back is a huge part of your offense then yes it hurts when he is missing for your team's biggest games. New England's running backs are merely role players.

Pittsburgh isn't that deep so when you suffer key injuries to star players in the playoffs it hurts them significantly. Last season against the Jags they had their offense intact for a playoff game for the first time, scored 35 points against a great defense, but the defense was missing Shazier.

Agree with this. The Steelers were on the verge of locking up a playoff win on the road at Denver, a place where they have been taking regular butt beatings since the 70s, without Bell, or Brown, and with Ben playing injured, when Toussaint fumbled deep in Denver territory. Somehow, that was Tomlin, or Ben's fault? Was it their fault that Mendehall fumbled late in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl they were on the verge of taking a late lead in? It takes some luck to win a title. Is Sean Payton a bum because his defensive back misplayed what should have been the last play of a playoff game, and let the Vikings receiver score an almost impossible touchdown? Brees and Rodgers are better quarterbacks than Ben, yet NO has had 4 losing seasons since their championship, and GB hasn't returned to the SB since 2010, despite having the greatest player in the game. As great as Bill Belechick is, he lost 2 Super Bowls to vastly inferior NY Giants teams, and if not for ineptitude on a colossal scale by Pete Carroll, and Dan Quinn, he'd have lost his last 5 Super Bowls. The Steelers' problems are basically on defense. They just haven't drafted well enough. They had a major advantage 20 years ago because almost no one was playing a 3-4 defense. This allowed elite 3-4 type linemen and linebackers to slide in the draft, as teams didn't see them as being able to play in the 4-3 scheme that basically the entire league was using. Getting first and second round talent in the 4th and 5th rounds can't be beat. That came to an end about 15 years ago when more teams began to employ a 3-4. From what I'm seeing, the Steelers seem to be attempting to implement a complicated scheme on defense, and the linebackers, and especially the secondary seem to be struggling with it, thus a lot of running around before the snap, and blown assignments. It reminds me of the trouble the offense had with Joe Walton's complicated offensive scheme in 1990 and 91. Shazier covered up a lot of sins, as Troy did in his prime.

Reactions: pittman71
The Steelers have only won three playoff games since they lost the Super Bowl to Green Bay in 2010. One of those wins was a gimme at the hands of the Bengals.
3 playoff wins.... the one the bengals handed Pittsburgh you mentioned was one. And of course another was a home game in the wild card against the dolphins with a backup qb, about as easy of a game as you could get in the playoffs.

It’s pretty safe to say that in the latter part of tomlin’s career in the playoffs that if the opposition isn’t completely outmatched talent wise and their coaching staff is prepared, the Steelers will probably lose. The injury excuses were always BS, last year against the jags just proved it. There’s too many problems within the Steelers organization, obviously including how worthless and pathetic the defense is.

Reactions: pittdan77

I didn't say anything about Ben but he really hasn't been the problem in the playoffs. Even when they were banged up in the Denver game, he played well.

Other than the loss to Denver (which only happened because of the Cincy gift game), Bell being out might not have mattered. The Ravens dropped 30 on the Steelers in 2014. 2015 was the gift year. In 2016 you could argue that the offense was sputtering (despite blowing out Miami) but they managed two playoff wins before NE dropped 36 on them. Last year blows the "Bell was injured" argument apart because he was healthy enough for the playoff game to get 27 touches and score two TD's. Ben threw for 469 yards and 5 TD's. Brown was 7-132-2TD's. How exactly do you lose a game with that much offense and you put 42 points on the board? Oh yeah, the other team scores 45.

Reactions: Pittx9
I didn't say anything about Ben but he really hasn't been the problem in the playoffs. Even when they were banged up in the Denver game, he played well.

Other than the loss to Denver (which only happened because of the Cincy gift game), Bell being out might not have mattered. The Ravens dropped 30 on the Steelers in 2014. 2015 was the gift year. In 2016 you could argue that the offense was sputtering (despite blowing out Miami) but they managed two playoff wins before NE dropped 36 on them. Last year blows the "Bell was injured" argument apart because he was healthy enough for the playoff game to get 27 touches and score two TD's. Ben threw for 469 yards and 5 TD's. Brown was 7-132-2TD's. How exactly do you lose a game with that much offense and you put 42 points on the board? Oh yeah, the other team scores 45.

I guess you conveniently forget Shazier being injured last season?

If you think LeVeon Bell missing playoff games in 3 seasons means nothing, then you cant cite the greatness of him as being a reason why Pittsburgh should have Super Bowl titles. Honestly without Bell how intimidating was Pittsburgh's offense? People in the media say Pittsburgh has too much talent to not be winning titles. They include LeVeon Bell and Brown in this assessment. If that is truly the case then missing one of those players will have a HUGE effect on your offense.

I guess you conveniently forget Shazier being injured last season?

If you think LeVeon Bell missing playoff games in 3 seasons means nothing, then you cant cite the greatness of him as being a reason why Pittsburgh should have Super Bowl titles. Honestly without Bell how intimidating was Pittsburgh's offense? People in the media say Pittsburgh has too much talent to not be winning titles. They include LeVeon Bell and Brown in this assessment. If that is truly the case then missing one of those players will have a HUGE effect on your offense.

So far as Shazier is concerned, he didn't go down until December and the Steelers were the 25th defense in terms of points scored last year.

You're talking in circles with Bell. You keep saying how important he is to winning playoff games and that's fine but even when he's playing at the top of his game in the playoffs, the Steelers are losing by three after putting 42 points on the board. Other than 2015, the Steelers aren't losing low scoring games in the playoffs so I don't really understand your point.

So far as Shazier is concerned, he didn't go down until December and the Steelers were the 25th defense in terms of points scored last year.

You're talking in circles with Bell. You keep saying how important he is to winning playoff games and that's fine but even when he's playing at the top of his game in the playoffs, the Steelers are losing by three after putting 42 points on the board. Other than 2015, the Steelers aren't losing low scoring games in the playoffs so I don't really understand your point.

Show me where Pittsburgh has this mega talented team that should be winning Super Bowls but don't because of their coach?

Show me where Pittsburgh has this mega talented team that should be winning Super Bowls but don't because of their coach?

They have more talent then most, and a HOF QB. PATS won the SB a few times with less talent then at least a handful of teams.

I would like to believe the Steelers should have more than 3 playoff wins in awhile, beating some questionable teams.

Last edited:
They have more talent then most, and a HOF QB. PATS won the SB a few times with less talent then at least a handful of teams.

I would like to believe the Steelers should have more than 3 playoff wins in awhile, beating some questionable teams.

Green Bay and New Orleans and probably the Chargers and Giants have Hall of Fame qbs as well. Does Pittsburgh have more talent than any of these teams?

This kind of childish B.S. is why I don't watch silly NFL football or follow the Stillers. They're a bunch of babies, from the owners and coach on down to the players.

Keep in mind that as poorly as the defense played in that game, 17 of those points really weren't on them. Jax had a fumble return for a td, and Ben threw a horrible pick that gave them the ball at the Steeler 18, which they cashed in. The other 3 points came after the failed onside kick gave Jax the ball in fg range. The Steelers, Ben in particular, are sloppy with the ball. With this shaky defense, we can't afford to have the offense giving the other team points as well.

Keep in mind that as poorly as the defense played in that game, 17 of those points really weren't on them. Jax had a fumble return for a td, and Ben threw a horrible pick that gave them the ball at the Steeler 18, which they cashed in. The other 3 points came after the failed onside kick gave Jax the ball in fg range. The Steelers, Ben in particular, are sloppy with the ball. With this shaky defense, we can't afford to have the offense giving the other team points as well.

I think the big series of that game was after the blocked punt by Pittsburgh in the 4th quarter, down 7. Jackass Haley calls THREE STRAIGHT RUNNING PLAYS then on 4th and short calls a pass play. I am glad that fool is gone.

I mean in the end it didnt matter, Brady would have incinerated this defense if Pittsburgh had won, but still

I’m hoping Pitt wins today in part so that I can get a picture of the ACC Coastal standings with Pitt alone in first against the AFC North standings with the Steelers alone in last.

That said I’m hoping the Steelers turn things around, it’s early. Just would be funny.

Green Bay and New Orleans and probably the Chargers and Giants have Hall of Fame qbs as well. Does Pittsburgh have more talent than any of these teams?
Those teams do have HOF qbs, but they don’t have the best wr in football and a top 2 rb. The Steelers have far more talent than those teams. And really the Steelers defense should be a top defense and not such a flaming pile of dung with all the former first round picks they have on that side of the ball. Some of Butler’s recent comments have me terrified about their defensive schemes.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
Those teams do have HOF qbs, but they don’t have the best wr in football and a top 2 rb. The Steelers have far more talent than those teams. And really the Steelers defense should be a top defense and not such a flaming pile of dung with all the former first round picks they have on that side of the ball. Some of Butler’s recent comments have me terrified about their defensive schemes.
Because the defense stinks

Reactions: Pittx9

Tomlin is OUT of excuses, he actually is very involved with the D.

Head coaches are very involved in everything

Is very involved in play calling etc on game day, more so than most head coaches. He is failing, and has been for some years now, basically after Cowher's players were gone. Hmmm. I do not want to even think what happens when Ben retires , sure will be interesting.

Tomlin is OUT of excuses, he actually is very involved with the D.
Probably because butler has no idea what he’s doing. And when you hire butler because you feel you owed him, Porter because he was a great player here, and Bradley because his brother wanted to hang out with him.... you’re screwed.

It’s tomlin’s defense and he has terrible assistant coaches so it’s not like he’s getting any help anywhere. He better clean house and get someone here who can run the defense so he doesn’t have to or his assistants are gonna take him down with them.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
Probably because butler has no idea what he’s doing. And when you hire butler because you feel you owed him, Porter because he was a great player here, and Bradley because his brother wanted to hang out with him.... you’re screwed.

It’s tomlin’s defense and he has terrible assistant coaches so it’s not like he’s getting any help anywhere. He better clean house and get someone here who can run the defense so he doesn’t have to or his assistants are gonna take him down with them.

Great points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT