ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada enters the portal

Which is kind of hilarious because the Browns like it or not are pretty good. The did beat SF…so taking all the history and feelings out of it … the Browns aren’t the Browns of old.
Yes true but their owner wanted Watson and wouldn’t listen to the GM or HC. They got him, gave him ridiculous money and hasn’t been close to his former self. Now he’s hurt, when they easily could’ve had CJ Stroud and been set. So they still can shat themselves in true Browns fashion. 😂

He did a nice job at Pitt, though.
some people don't want to hear that.

Points scored per game in his lone season as OC : 28, 42, 38, 36, 43, 37, 45, 36, 28, 43, 56, 76, and 24.
I don't know as I Pitt fan I wouldn't mind this.
They are not going to hire him anyways, just think it's crazy to say he wasn't good @ Pitt.

This candidates all are suboptimal. No heavy running coach so Corn is out. No one from the NFL as the offense OCs from the NFL don’t work and translate in either direction.

Shanahan is somewhat interesting but I prefer a more pass heavy OC and someone who wasn’t connected to Pitt.
Joe Moorhead

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
not since the Pitt kid had the "I wanna bohn Linda Kohn" placard have I enjoyed a sign as much...

image-asset.jpeg

That was another classic at the Pitt Gameday.

WILL do much worse than 2016 Canada. No doubt in my mind.
Well if you’re gonna narrow it down to 2016 Canada then I’d agree. Not likely they’ll be better on offense. Plus they Don’t have “the material”.

But is 2016 Canada who he is or was that just one of those outliers where everything worked for whatever reason?

He was ok prior to Pitt and lousy since.

gotta think that 14 second last possession had to be the straw that broke the Lizzo's back....Could not believe they did not run it on first down or at least have Warren in the backfield for some sort of deception that they would do so...

that was very bad, but to me the play that epitomized the Canada era was that swing pass to Warren where 4 defenders were waiting for him. Everyone thought it was a screen but watching the play after the fact you can see the 3 WR were running patterns and had no intention of blocking to setup a screen.

From PG Q&A

Who's on your early Pitt OC candidate list?

Hiles
: This is just my personal list, I haven’t heard any of these names connected to any rumors. I think the top choice would be Andrew Janocko, the current quarterbacks coach of the Chicago Bears. He’s a Pitt alum and has obviously been around plenty of high-level offensive schemes. The other notable Pitt connection that I could see being in the mix is Mike Shanahan, the former Panthers receiver and current offensive coordinator at James Madison. Last but not least, someone I found just doing my own, personal OC search is Willy Korn, the offensive coordinator at Liberty. The Flames currently boast the nation’s top rushing attack and the No. 8 scoring offense in the country. Korn has a solid coaching background, having spent the four previous seasons as the offensive coordinator at Coastal Carolina. His age (34) and scheme make him an ideal and realistic candidate, in my opinion.
Yeah, a career NFL position coach would be a great pick. Why, you ask, would someone suggest that the mess that is Pitt football hire a guy with zero playcalling experience? And the Bears offense?!?!?!?!

Ahhh--the answer--he was a walk on QB at Pitt 15 years ago. That's a great credential.

Please.

Noah has No-ah credibility on this subject.

Not firing him after 2021 is inexcusable incompetence. The only time the offense ever did shit that year was when the QB literally ignored the OC and you bring the OC back. Dumblin and dumber Rooney

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Just please no Leftwich. A Tomlin buddy whose success is having Tom Brady make him look good. Otherwise, he has failed as a QB and an OC.

Reactions: pittbb80
I like Moorehead but his offenses at Akron have been horrible. Really his only good stint was at PSU where he had NFL guys all over the field.
Not true, he put up very similar numbers at Oregon. He only took the Akron job to be close to Pittsburgh where most of his family lives. Before PS, he was at Fordham where he put up records for yards and points

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
One season out of a career?
Stop it
The answers are never in the past
He sucked at NCSU, Sucked at LSU (fired quickly ), wasn’t any good at Maryland

He’s a position coach at best
It was one hell of a season though, there's no denying that. His play design and play calling were as good as I've ever seen at the college level short of the Joe Brady/Burrow LSU offense..

But I tend to agree with your third line. The Canada Pitt redux would likely be a major disappointment for all parties.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Just please no Leftwich. A Tomlin buddy whose success is having Tom Brady make him look good. Otherwise, he has failed as a QB and an OC.
Probably not a poplar opinion in these parts but I kind of wish USC would have beaten UCLA last week...

I like the last guy but being a Pitt alimn and or having ties to the program should be irrelevant. In JMUs biggest game of the year their offense wasn’t great so the hype around shanny seems to be based on him being a Pitt guy
Or maybe some are inclined to evaluate a coach based on body of work rather than one game against a strong opponent. JMU has been excellent offensively and defensively.

Agree on the Pitt guy thing though.

The thing about Cignetti that a lot of people perhaps don't realize is that we actually pass a lot. That's not the reason he sucks. We are 37th in the nation in pass-to-run ratio. The next guy is almost certainly going to run a lot more than Cignetti did this season.
As a smarter football man than any of us once said, it's not about how much you run the ball or pass it, it's about how well you run it or pass it. Run-pass ratio is irrelevant and wining TOP are irrelevant, it's all about whatever gets the ball across the goal line as many times as possible in 60 minutes of game clock.

Reactions: pittpsu
Not true, he put up very similar numbers at Oregon. He only took the Akron job to be close to Pittsburgh where most of his family lives. Before PS, he was at Fordham where he put up records for yards and points
He can go back to Psu. Don’t want someone on the decline. I want a hungry OC on the rise.

Reactions: FireballZ
It was one hell of a season though, there's no denying that. His play design and play calling were as good as I've ever seen at the college level short of the Joe Brady/Burrow LSU offense..

But I tend to agree with your third line. The Canada Pitt redux would likely be a major disappointment for all parties.
Yep, no problem saying you don’t want anything to do with him at Pitt now but you have to at least acknowledge how good that 2016 offense was as opposed to saying his entire OC career was trash.

that was very bad, but to me the play that epitomized the Canada era was that swing pass to Warren where 4 defenders were waiting for him. Everyone thought it was a screen but watching the play after the fact you can see the 3 WR were running patterns and had no intention of blocking to setup a screen.
there is usually some culpability on the QB in those situations to make a read pre-snap, see that coming, and option to another play.

From PG Q&A

Who's on your early Pitt OC candidate list?

Hiles
: This is just my personal list, I haven’t heard any of these names connected to any rumors. I think the top choice would be Andrew Janocko, the current quarterbacks coach of the Chicago Bears. He’s a Pitt alum and has obviously been around plenty of high-level offensive schemes. The other notable Pitt connection that I could see being in the mix is Mike Shanahan, the former Panthers receiver and current offensive coordinator at James Madison. Last but not least, someone I found just doing my own, personal OC search is Willy Korn, the offensive coordinator at Liberty. The Flames currently boast the nation’s top rushing attack and the No. 8 scoring offense in the country. Korn has a solid coaching background, having spent the four previous seasons as the offensive coordinator at Coastal Carolina. His age (34) and scheme make him an ideal and realistic candidate, in my opinion.
Hopefully Janocko will stay the heck away from special teams.

Well if you’re gonna narrow it down to 2016 Canada then I’d agree. Not likely they’ll be better on offense. Plus they Don’t have “the material”.

But is 2016 Canada who he is or was that just one of those outliers where everything worked for whatever reason?

He was ok prior to Pitt and lousy since.
Outlier clearly
Look at ncsu , lsu , and Maryland

The thing about Cignetti that a lot of people perhaps don't realize is that we actually pass a lot. That's not the reason he sucks. We are 37th in the nation in pass-to-run ratio. The next guy is almost certainly going to run a lot more than Cignetti did this season.
We have the 84th ranked passing attack in the ncaa. Cignetti might attempt passes but it isn’t an efficient or explosive passing attack

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Yes
Just my opinion based on some things reading the weeks prior to this
But yes, just opinion
I’m not reporter :)
Tomlin said it was his decision and his alone. Dulac said it was Rooney’s decision. We will never know I guess.

What I would have asked him if I was in te presser…”mike, when do you make the decision? After the game? On the way home? Over a drink Sunday night? After watching the film?” He probably would have said all of the above. But who knows.

We will know a lot more on Sunday. You have to think there will be a change.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see nothing changing, risk free, no passes downfield or in the middle, same ultra conservative play scared garbage and Kenny has no TDs and 120 yards and we lose 17-13, I won't be shocked at all, that's what I expect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT