ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada enters the portal

i think this time Rooney really puts the pressure on Tomlin to make an outside the box hire for OC and not another lazy promote from within type move.
It would suck if Rooney had real input, it's partly him that wants the gutless weak play scared no risk offensive philosophy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see nothing changing, risk free, no passes downfield or in the middle, same ultra conservative play scared garbage and Kenny has no TDs and 120 yards and we lose 17-13, I won't be shocked at all, that's what I expect.
Every coach in the world wants to limit turnovers
Every one
Actuating like any coach is like “let it fly! I don’t care “ is a coach who’s fired quickly

Every coach in the world wants to limit turnovers
Every one
Actuating like any coach is like “let it fly! I don’t care “ is a coach who’s fired quickly
This team takes it to extremes, if you can't see that you're out of your mind. I don't see any other team that so severely limits any pass deep or the middle of the field to such extremes, look at the pass charts?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can see nothing changing, risk free, no passes downfield or in the middle, same ultra conservative play scared garbage and Kenny has no TDs and 120 yards and we lose 17-13, I won't be shocked at all, that's what I expect.
Unfortunately you are correct.

Guys like Madden are already sharpening their knives and will stick it to Kenny the first time he throws an incompletion, and he will. The offense will look no better. Tomlin did the team no favors by keeping Canada this year. It's a year of development wasted.

Kenny needs coaching. He hasn't received it and won't with Sullivan either. Kenny should be fairly judged at this time next season under a new OC. If he fails, it's on Kenny.

Tomlin said it was his decision and his alone. Dulac said it was Rooney’s decision. We will never know I guess.

What I would have asked him if I was in te presser…”mike, when do you make the decision? After the game? On the way home? Over a drink Sunday night? After watching the film?” He probably would have said all of the above. But who knows.
Ultimately doesn’t matter -
What we do know is the Steelers have one of the smallest and least expensive staffs in the NFL.
And I’ll wager it’s not because Tomlin asks for no support

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Guys like Madden are already sharpening their knives and will stick it to Kenny the first time he throws an incompletion, and he will. The offense will look no better. Tomlin did the team no favors by keeping Canada this year. It's a year of development wasted.

Kenny needs coaching. He hasn't received it and won't with Sullivan either. Kenny should be fairly judged at this time next season under a new OC. If he fails, it's on Kenny.
Who gives a flying F about what some douche sports talk radio guys say ?
Hell , even the PG guy on Twitter proves to be a moron when “analyzing “ the tape .

You have to look at it as a huge positive cutting Canada loose right now, at least it finally provides an indication that Tomlin and/or Rooney weren’t happy or satisfied with the offense’s performance.

But practically speaking, yeah can’t expect many significant changes the rest of this year. You want to really get uninspired, go read the article on PSN summarizing Faulkner and Sullivan’s prior resumes. Faulkner followed Canada around to not 1 but 3 if his prior stops. Offensive rankings of Sullivan’s prior OC stints pretty low.

Bottom line, nice change now to somewhat re-energize the troops ( players and fans) but the real measuring stick for future fortunes is who they bring in to be the permanent OC position after the season’s over.

Reactions: pittmeister
They don’t
Kenny shows he’ll throw it downfield when there is a chance of success
so, most of the time Kenny knows his arm can't get it there so he refuses to throw it downfield or to the middle? That's what it looks like to me, and a lot of experts.

Mahomes threw for 170 yards in 43 attempts last night
Is it because Andy Reed is conservative ?

You have to look at it as a huge positive cutting Canada loose right now, at least it finally provides an indication that Tomlin and/or Rooney weren’t happy or satisfied with the offense’s performance.

But practically speaking, yeah can’t expect many significant changes the rest of this year. You want to really get uninspired, go read the article on PSN summarizing Faulkner and Sullivan’s prior resumes. Faulkner followed Canada around to not 1 but 3 if his prior stops. Offensive rankings of Sullivan’s prior OC stints pretty low.

Bottom line, nice change now to somewhat re-energize the troops ( players and fans) but the real measuring stick for future fortunes is who they bring in to be the permanent OC position after the season’s over.
They can't change the offense, but they can call plays they've been seemingly avoiding.

but he had 43 attempts and TWO TDs practically a dream game for Kenny! If Kenny could regularly have that kind of production, I'd be happier about his performance.

Reactions: ShipofFools
He also had a deep pass that was dropped that should have been a go ahead TD. Later, at 4th and 25 he threw a 27 YD pass that was dropped and would have resulted in a first down instead of ending the game. He also had an INT in the end zone. There were a number of times he threw the ball away avoiding a sack.

Hurts threw an INT and also had a deep pass to set up the go ahead TD.

You don't likely win scoring 10 points a game and throwing for 90 yds. 6 throwing TDs in 10 games in unacceptable for a starting QB in the NFL.

so, most of the time Kenny knows his arm can't get it there so he refuses to throw it downfield or to the middle? That's what it looks like to me, and a lot of experts.
Man, if you look at Kenny even last year at this time til now, there’s a huge difference. He had the swag. Remember Tomlin coming off the field vs the ravens and Tomlin yelling “Kenny effing Pickett”?

Something has changed. I don’t know if Kenny is seeing ghosts because of the poor pass blocking, or if Tomlin is in his head about turnovers. But if Kenny has between the ears what made the Steelers draft him where they did…he needs to play with that swag again. But the question still remains if he’s allowed.

Reactions: ShipofFools

F’ that fat tub of goo. Someone on the basketball board said he’s now talking crap on Capel and Pitt Basketball. Any Pitt fan that gives his show the time of day is a fool.

You don't likely win scoring 10 points a game and throwing for 90 yds. 6 throwing TDs in 10 games in unacceptable for a starting QB in the NFL.
Remember that time Ben threw 6 TD passes in consecutive games?

I miss the good 'ole days :)

Remember that time Ben threw 6 TD passes in consecutive games?

I miss the good 'ole days :)
I don't but Tomlin sure had no problem with Ben throwing the ball all over the yard. Kenny can make the throws if given the time and not having to worry about an occasional INT. Every QB in the league throws them.

They need to let him cut loose. The rest is up to him how he performs.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
If you looked at route trees Canada literally never sent anyone in the middle to be thrown to

If you looked at route trees Canada literally never sent anyone in the middle to be thrown to
why?
will it change now that he's gone?
Charlie Batch said their where guys running accross the middle and Kenny chose not to throw it there.

It must be hard being such an apologist for all of them, Kenny and Tomlin are way below average at their jobs.
Not hard at all
My life is unchanged by their performance.
Does bitching make you’re feel more productive ?

I don't but Tomlin sure had no problem with Ben throwing the ball all over the yard. Kenny can make the throws if given the time and not having to worry about an occasional INT. Every QB in the league throws them.

They need to let him cut loose. The rest is up to him how he performs.
Maybe they feel he can’t.

The offense had the same issues (not to the same extent of extent) when Ben’s arm started turning into a noodle.

Not hard at all
My life is unchanged by their performance.
Does bitching make you’re feel more productive ?
Who needs to be productive, it's just lighthearted conversation for recreation and fun. Who thinks it changes their life ? :)

But how?
When Tomlin is SO conservative , right ?
Your logical inconsistency is showing
So why isn't he doing it now? If Kenny can't physically make those throws, then get rid of him so you can go back to that kind of play calling? Get someone that can execute those throws if Kenny can't.

Maybe they feel he can’t.

The offense had the same issues (not to the same extent of extent) when Ben’s arm started turning into a noodle.
Well, then the path is clear, they need to get rid of Kenny and make plans to somehow find a QB that can make those throws.

This team takes it to extremes, if you can't see that you're out of your mind. I don't see any other team that so severely limits any pass deep or the middle of the field to such extremes, look at the pass charts?
I've seen the charts of passing attempts but not routes run.....which would be at least as illuminating...

Reactions: Pitt79
Man, if you look at Kenny even last year at this time til now, there’s a huge difference. He had the swag. Remember Tomlin coming off the field vs the ravens and Tomlin yelling “Kenny effing Pickett”?

Something has changed. I don’t know if Kenny is seeing ghosts because of the poor pass blocking, or if Tomlin is in his head about turnovers. But if Kenny has between the ears what made the Steelers draft him where they did…he needs to play with that swag again. But the question still remains if he’s allowed.
Aren’t you exaggerating KP’s past performance a little? Yeah he had a few 4th Qtr clutch high points but otherwise it has been pretty across the board underwhelming. The highlights have been so so brief it’s hard to put much stock in them. We can only hope things change remainder if this year and into next year.

Well, then the path is clear, they need to get rid of Kenny and make plans to somehow find a QB that can make those throws.
For the most part. But Perhaps I should have said maybe they feel he’s not there yet. Possible he can improve especially if the line can play better.

He had no problem with this one earlier this year.

Understood. Just meant on any consistent basis. I don’t think his arm is poor, but remains to be seen if he can make all the throws. I’ve said it multiple times, his accuracy must improve no matter what (even prior to the rib injury). If it doesn’t he’s a career backup.

For the most part. But Perhaps I should have said maybe they feel he’s not there yet. Possible he can improve especially if the line can play better.
I hope so, I don't feel it right now, but it's not too late, especially with the Rooneys, they might literally start a bust QB for several years in order to not admit they were wrong instead of cutting their losses like normal people would.

He also had a deep pass that was dropped that should have been a go ahead TD. Later, at 4th and 25 he threw a 27 YD pass that was dropped and would have resulted in a first down instead of ending the game. He also had an INT in the end zone. There were a number of times he threw the ball away avoiding a sack.

Hurts threw an INT and also had a deep pass to set up the go ahead TD.

Speaking of that game, I concluded I’m just not up on the nuances of what is and isn’t an offensive pick. That short TD pass to Kelce late in the 1st half looked real similar to many other plays where the refs have called an offensive pick.

If it’s that subtle of a difference between what is and isn’t called a pick, the rule shouldn’t even be in the rule book. Otherwise, it’s just way too much judgement and unfair mist of the time it is called.

So why isn't he doing it now? If Kenny can't physically make those throws, then get rid of him so you can go back to that kind of play calling? Get someone that can execute those throws if Kenny can't.
Did the Steelers make him their #1 without seeing in him those throws in combines and workouts?
Aren’t you exaggerating KP’s past performance a little? Yeah he had a few 4th Qtr clutch high points but otherwise it has been pretty across the board underwhelming. The highlights have been so so brief it’s hard to put much stock in them. We can only hope things change remainder if this year and into next year.
i really don’t think I am, considering he was doing what he was doing as a rookie and in his 7th and 8th games as a starter. He wasn’t Unitas, no one was saying that. But with an offeseason and 9 more games, it’s natural to expect an upward trajectory instead of regression. There was moxy. He made throws that he’s not even attempting now. Now there isn’t moxy and there aren’t any attempts. It’s rather apparent isn’t it?

Did the Steelers make him their #1 without seeing in him those throws in combines and workouts?

i really don’t think I am, considering he was doing what he was doing as a rookie and in his 7th and 8th games as a starter. He wasn’t Unitas, no one was saying that. But with an offeseason and 9 more games, it’s natural to expect an upward trajectory instead of regression. There was moxy. He made throws that he’s not even attempting now. Now there isn’t moxy and there aren’t any attempts. It’s rather apparent isn’t it?
Combines and workouts isn’t the NFL game day. We hear it all the time when kids come to the NFL. Speed of the game. And being open in the pros is a MUCH smaller window in the NFL than college. Workout warriors/winners of the underwear Olympics at all positions fail all the time at all positions.

Understood. Just meant on any consistent basis. I don’t think his arm is poor, but remains to be seen if he can make all the throws. I’ve said it multiple times, his accuracy must improve no matter what (even prior to the rib injury). If it doesn’t he’s a career backup.
Unless he is too spooked and missing opportunities to get the ball downfield, they should open the playbook to him. The rest is up to him. He needs to make some plays, get first downs, TDs and get some mojo back. If he fails...you move on.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
Combines and workouts isn’t the NFL game day. We hear it all the time when kids come to the NFL. Speed of the game. And being open in the pros is a MUCH smaller window in the NFL than college. Workout warriors/winners of the underwear Olympics at all positions fail all the time at all positions.
sorry. I thought context was regarding arm strength.

Unless he is too spooked and missing opportunities to get the ball downfield, they should open the playbook to him. The rest is up to him. He needs to make some plays, get first downs, TDs and get some mojo back. If he fails...you move on.
Agree. At some point they’re gonna have to definitively know what they’ve got. But if they’re in playoff contention and in close games you and I (and everyone else) both know how this is likely to work in the short term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT