ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Canada enters the portal

Speaking of that game, I concluded I’m just not up on the nuances of what is and isn’t an offensive pick. That short TD pass to Kelce late in the 1st half looked real similar to many other plays where the refs have called an offensive pick.

If it’s that subtle of a difference between what is and isn’t called a pick, the rule shouldn’t even be in the rule book. Otherwise, it’s just way too much judgement and unfair mist of the time it is called.
It seems sometimes Kelce spends have the game griping to the officials about holding or DPIs...I don't know if they missed it or just let it go.

If you looked at route trees Canada literally never sent anyone in the middle to be thrown to
I watched that game in its entirety on a flight home from FL. There were plenty of routes run to the intermediate middle and deep segments of the field. On some of those plays, the OL didn't give KP enough time or room to step up and make the throws. On others, KP never even looked downfield.

Unless he is too spooked and missing opportunities to get the ball downfield, they should open the playbook to him. The rest is up to him. He needs to make some plays, get first downs, TDs and get some mojo back. If he fails...you move on.
That's what I want to see, let him play, if he throws a few picks and we go 7-10 instead of 9-8 so be it, I rather let him sink or swim and see if he has anything rather than worry about getting to a wild card game and losing by 3 TDs.

Reactions: Burgh15
It seems sometimes Kelce spends have the game griping to the officials about holding or DPIs...I don't know if they missed it or just let it go.
You should train your receivers to do that, who knows, maybe because our guy is whining some ref reflexive gives us an undeserved flag.

Combines and workouts isn’t the NFL game day. We hear it all the time when kids come to the NFL. Speed of the game. And being open in the pros is a MUCH smaller window in the NFL than college. Workout warriors/winners of the underwear Olympics at all positions fail all the time at all positions.
I’ll remind you he’s playing because they benched Mitch who sucked .
And Kenny has been better than Mitch
This isn’t complicated and has nothing to do with nfl speed

so, most of the time Kenny knows his arm can't get it there so he refuses to throw it downfield or to the middle? That's what it looks like to me, and a lot of experts.
I’m calling bullshit on the arm issue. He has more than a strong enough arm to throw it down the field over the middle. If he can throw 15-20 yard outs on a rope he can make those throws.

He may not have the cannon some others have but he can make all the throws needed

That's what I want to see, let him play, if he throws a few picks and we go 7-10 instead of 9-8 so be it, I rather let him sink or swim and see if he has anything rather than worry about getting to a wild card game and losing by 3 TDs.
We can't break that glorious streak of non losing records Tomlin has. It doesn't matter that their last playoff victory is far back in the rear view mirror.

I don't know if Pickett is the long term answer for them, but they won't find out either if he is handcuffed by the play calling. He needs better protection and receivers to make tough catches some times too. Still, the bottom line is production. They will not continue to win with an anemic offense, and that offense starts with good plays being called (or audibled) and the QB and cast making them count.

I’ll remind you he’s playing because they benched Mitch who sucked .
And Kenny has been better than Mitch
This isn’t complicated and has nothing to do with nfl speed
I’m aware of why he’s playing.

And my response was directed to the FKs question about scouting and Pickett’s ability to make all the throws. Lots of guys look good in shorts. Things change in NFL games. The speed of the game and smaller windows matter. I remember reading how the coaches had to work that into Tua T’s head.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

And my response was directed to the FKs question about scouting and Pickett’s ability to make all the throws. Lots of guys look good in shorts. Things change in NFL games. The speed of the game and smaller windows matter. I remember reading how the coaches had to work that into Tua T’s head.
This. Throwing a pass when the receiver is still covered but putting it into the spot where he will be when it gets there and he has a chance to make a play. Having said that, if a guy is open and Kenny has the time...he has to find him and get it there. He has done it before.

For sure there’s a difference between physically being able to make the throws (ie arm strength ) and being able to consistently see the receiver coming open and accurately placing the throw where it can be caught

KP doesn’t have a cannon but his arm is physically strong enough to make very throw The question really comes down to field vision and consistent accuracy

Since the vast majority of the throws are short outs not sure anyone can draw a conclusion. I mean you’d hope that if the OC is allegedly calling those plays over the middle the qb would occasionally throw rhe ball there or you bench him. KP isn’t even looking down field over the middle most play which leads me to believe he’s doing what the OC expected

The throw that Kenny made to the sideline (to his right) is an example. It was 20 yards downfield off his back foot. When the defender closed on DJ and the pass fell incomplete, my first thought was lack of arm strength. Then upon replay, you see that the ball had zip and arrived in plenty of time but DJ caught only the back side of the ball loosely which allowed the defender to jar it loose. Then last night I hear DJ had a finger injury last week. So yeah Kenny isn’t Jeff George but he has a pro arm, otherwise he wouldn’t have been a first round QB by many teams. And let’s admit what rarely gets said…his receivers have dropped balls and ran wrong routes just as often as Kenny has missed throws. And it’s partly why Canada is gone. There are so many chips stacked against this offense and one of them is now gone.

The throw that Kenny made to the sideline (to his right) is an example. It was 20 yards downfield off his back foot. When the defender closed on DJ and the pass fell incomplete, my first thought was lack of arm strength. Then upon replay, you see that the ball had zip and arrived in plenty of time but DJ caught only the back side of the ball loosely which allowed the defender to jar it loose. Then last night I hear DJ had a finger injury last week. So yeah Kenny isn’t Jeff George but he has a pro arm, otherwise he wouldn’t have been a first round QB by many teams. And let’s admit what rarely gets said…his receivers have dropped balls and ran wrong routes just as often as Kenny has missed throws. And it’s partly why Canada is gone. There are so many chips stacked against this offense and one of them is now gone.
It’s a combo of bad. The OC, the OL (and OL coach), the WRs, etc. But let’s not look at it thru the blue and gold glasses either. Kenny needs to do better.

Hopefully they can get the other factors squared away a bit so he gets a fair shake and proper evaluation.

Reactions: ShipofFools
I don't think so. Sometimes you have to make things look like everything is fine and that the HC is making a move that should have been a slam dunk on Monday morning. Rooney needs to look at Tomlin and realize he's not getting it done. They aren't going to win a playoff game again this year and that's getting old.
No Stiller fan should have reasonably expected a playoff team with a third rate second year quarterback starting. That the Stillers have gone 15-12 the past two seasons is quite an accomplishment.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt

Nobody was tanking for Kenny
They did tank for tua
It’s a silly analogy

Tua was seen as a generational talent .
So his “coaching up “ is pretty much silly .
Just needed reps
And they went out and got him Hill and a first round WR. Funny how that works huh? And his coach knows offense.

Who said anything about anyone tanking? I don’t know what the hell you’re even talking about.
Tua was always a very talented generational type qb
He completed 64% of his passes his rookie yrsr
He completed 64%!last year
69% so far this season
Ya think it was because of coaching up about the windows ?
Lulz
I’d say the cheetah is more the difference

Tua was always a very talented generational type qb
He completed 64% of his passes his rookie yrsr
He completed 64%!last year
69% so far this season
Ya think it was because of coaching up about the windows ?
Lulz
I’d say the cheetah is more the difference
I was simply making a point that even those who were much more highly thought of than Kenny can have some struggles. One of Tua’s was learning what’s open in college vs the pros.

While this is a move that had to be made, it's still frustrating because the Steelers never should've got to this point. Canada should've never been hired and it was painfully obvious after his first year that he would be a failure in the NFL. Yet here we are, sitting nearly at the end of Pickett's second year with a beaten up QB with zero confidence.

I hope they let him sling the ball around the field, but I'm not exactly hopeful. The Steelers didn't have anyone with a pedigree on staff ready to step in. Maybe these guys will surprise us.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I’m calling bullshit on the arm issue. He has more than a strong enough arm to throw it down the field over the middle. If he can throw 15-20 yard outs on a rope he can make those throws.

He may not have the cannon some others have but he can make all the throws needed
He can. It's just not easy for him though. He's basically Mac Jones with better hair and temperament.

Oh I bet Tomlin has been wanting to do this for awhile - but Rooney wouldn’t sign off .
So they let Tomlin announce it
Not sure I buy that. I mean regardless of what you think of Canada's schemes, the overall gist of the game plan, (like number of throws to the outside, screens, etc) Tomlin had to sign off on that.

Had it been the Steelers to squeak out a 13-10 win with a FG on the last possession Sunday, do you think this move would have been made?

Reportedly it was Rooney who fired him. But the press release was a statement by Tomlin.

Is it weird that Rooney or Khan didn’t issue the statement ? Just asking as I’m not sure what is the norm.
There are a few on this site who would believe it was Heather's responsibility to fire him.

Left a buck or more yardage with the drops. KC leads the league. But all QB’s experience that.
Ah so we are playing the drops
I was simply making a point that even those who were much more highly thought of than Kenny can have some struggles. One of Tua’s was learning what’s open in college vs the pros.
year 1 64% completion rate
Year 3 64 completion rate
Buddy , I know ya have a narrative in mind ya want to stick to -
But this is terrible example

Not sure I buy that. I mean regardless of what you think of Canada's schemes, the overall gist of the game plan, (like number of throws to the outside, screens, etc) Tomlin had to sign off on that.

Had it been the Steelers to squeak out a 13-10 win with a FG on the last possession Sunday, do you think this move would have been made?
Yes
Because the offense has gotten worse all 3 years
The players are openly revolting against him
It’s been overdue for weeks

Yes
Because the offense has gotten worse all 3 years
The players are openly revolting against him
It’s been overdue for weeks
I think TD is right. If the Steelers win, Canada is likely still around. Tomlin is enough of a statesman that he would cool the players for another week.

And it does concern me that this is the offense that Tomlin wanted.

And here’s something else that concerns me…Sullivan was Kenny’s QB coach and Kenny has regressed.

And here’s what else also concerns me…Faulkner is said to have been responsible for the running back distribution of labor and he’s mangled that. Additionally I’m sure Tomlin vetoes things anyway and wants Najee in the game more.

So there’s lots for us to be confident about with our coaching staff. Lol.

Yeah his arm is plenty strong enough. That arm argument has no basis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT