ADVERTISEMENT

McKeesport has the #1 Soph RB in the country?

Made the top 29 (so did UPJ) for Bo Bassett though
Still has three Ivy League schools listed, gotta say I'm shocked. I would love to see him pick one of those to show people that he isn't a meathead. I'd probably say the odds of him picking Clarion are better.

Kurt Angle went to Clarion, right?

Still has three Ivy League schools listed, gotta say I'm shocked. I would love to see him pick one of those to show people that he isn't a meathead. I'd probably say the odds of him picking Clarion are better.

I am going to go out on a limb and say he's dumb as a box of rocks.

I'll take Terrelle Pryor and Cary Kolat over both Meleek Thomas and Bo Bassett both as athletes and in recruiting terms.
Can't speak about Pryor or Thomas, I don't follow basketball at all. I can't even tell you what school or position Thomas plays for.

As for Kotlat vs Bassett that is tough due to how the Internet changed everything. Kotlat was the featured story as a HS senior in Sports Illiterated when that was the biggest source of information in the sports world. Kotlat had an unheard of resume for a HS kid, he was ahead of his time wrestling college wrestlers as a HS kid.

Since then many others have done so, and Bassett international/freestyle resume is leaps and bounds better than Kotlats. It really is neck and neck imo.

Can't speak about Pryor or Thomas, I don't follow basketball at all. I can't even tell you what school or position Thomas plays for.

As for Kotlat vs Bassett that is tough due to how the Internet changed everything. Kotlat was the featured story as a HS senior in Sports Illiterated when that was the biggest source of information in the sports world. Kotlat had an unheard of resume for a HS kid, he was ahead of his time wrestling college wrestlers as a HS kid.

Since then many others have done so, and Bassett international/freestyle resume is leaps and bounds better than Kotlats. It really is neck and neck imo.

Never heard of Kotlat but you say he was wrestling college kids in HS. That seems better to me than than Basett beating kids his own age from other countries.

he did. no idea what that program is like today. If I was in the position of one of these kids, I'd be picking an Ivy. It seems like such a no brainer.

The reason I have Kolat above everyone else is his success wrestling outside his age group while in HS (i.e. Midlands back when Midlands was tougher then the National Tournament). I believe Kolat took 3rd as a sophomore and junior while in HS at Midlands. This was not just the best in college but you'd see the Sunkist kids team show up with Olympic team members. Not to mention his ability to go up in weight classes and dominate guys while in HS. I remember him wrestling a Wash High kid who was going to be seeded #1 in the WPIAL bracket @ 171 and Kolat beat him and the kid fell in the seedings. Later that rule came out where you couldn't bump that many weight classes. Kolat was putting weights under his sweats in order to do so. Some called it the Kolat rule after that.

In terms of freestyle, I don't remember freestyle wrestling being a big thing for HS kids during that time. I know some were doing it but most focused on folkstyle.

Never heard of Kotlat but you say he was wrestling college kids in HS. That seems better to me than than Basett beating kids his own age from other countries.
Bassett beat college kids too. You don't like wrestling, we get it. Doesn't mean Bassett is the devil you like making him out to be.

Bassett beat college kids too. You don't like wrestling, we get it. Doesn't mean Bassett is the devil you like making him out to be.

I think wrestling is a good sport. I dont find it interesting to watch but its fine. I just think this kid is yep, you guessed it, a douchebag.

And which college kids has he beaten? I thought he wrestled in his age group?

I think wrestling is a good sport. I dont find it interesting to watch but its fine. I just think this kid is yep, you guessed it, a douchebag.

And which college kids has he beaten? I thought he wrestled in his age group?
He wrestled in a few open tournaments and he also competed in the Olympic trails and fell just short of making the team.

He wrestled in a few open tournaments and he also competed in the Olympic trails and fell just short of making the team.

I asked which college kids he has beaten?

I am not denying the kid is a generational talent from what everyone says but apparently this Kolat dude beat college kids so trying to compare.

I'll take Terrelle Pryor and Cary Kolat over both Meleek Thomas and Bo Bassett both as athletes and in recruiting terms.

I remember the name, Kolat, what did he end up doing after high school.

I think the comment was most recruited in their sports. No doubt Pryor had more hype since he played football, but in terms of being a national recruit, Thomas is probably the top one ever in the area for basketball.

Poor North Hills, could have had Thomas and Marquette recruit Royce Parham on the same team this past season. Would have been a legendary team.

Terrelle Pryor as a Soph was top 15-20

He was.

And Pryor is definitely on the short list for greatest HS athlete ever from this area. Maybe THE best considering he was the #1 football recruit in the nation. The reason I may put Meleek ahead of him is because he is a sure-fire high lotto pick whereas Pryor didnt have a position so his skillset didnt translate.

He was.

And Pryor is definitely on the short list for greatest HS athlete ever from this area. Maybe THE best considering he was the #1 football recruit in the nation. The reason I may put Meleek ahead of him is because he is a sure-fire high lotto pick whereas Pryor didnt have a position so his skillset didnt translate.
After sophmore year, wasn't he the #1 power forward recruit in his class?

I asked which college kids he has beaten?

I am not denying the kid is a generational talent from what everyone says but apparently this Kolat dude beat college kids so trying to compare.

There's one example. Easy to search for.

Reactions: Mikefln
Guys, Narduzzi has lost local recruits to Kentucky (x2), Virginia, Duke (!!), Rutgers, etc. He is rewriting the book on how bad local recruiting can get. If a dude is local and has P4 options other than the standard BC, Syracuse offers, you can forget about him.
Then most end up back at Pitt eh

I read a write up on a highly recruited Jr from Westinghouse (forget his name) a DB in the PG this weekend. And he lives in the Hill. And he remarked how bad it was, and bad family situation that life is a struggle. Even though Pitt is recruiting him, I can tell there is no way they are going to land him because the kid needs to get away.
Robinson is out for the year with an injury, just announced.

Guys, Narduzzi has lost local recruits to Kentucky (x2), Virginia, Duke (!!), Rutgers, etc. He is rewriting the book on how bad local recruiting can get. If a dude is local and has P4 options other than the standard BC, Syracuse offers, you can forget about him.
Local recruits suck. Keep going to Florida.

There's one example. Easy to search for.
Listen, Bo is incredible and that much undeniable. However, as much as I love Vinnie, but we've seen other HS wrestlers dominate higher profile college guys in recent years. Vinnie was 16-15 this year and didn't finish anywhere near the top 15 in rankings.

However, Kolat dominated NCAA champion Sean O'Day while he was in HS. He beat and dominated other NCAA all americans. He was going to toe to toe with Olympic Gold Medalists in HS. Hell, he was close to making the Olympics in his senior year of HS.

Listen, Bo is incredible and that much undeniable. However, as much as I love Vinnie, but we've seen other HS wrestlers dominate higher profile college guys in recent years. Vinnie was 16-15 this year and didn't finish anywhere near the top 15 in rankings.

However, Kolat dominated NCAA champion Sean O'Day while he was in HS. He beat and dominated other NCAA all americans. He was going to toe to toe with Olympic Gold Medalists in HS. Hell, he was close to making the Olympics in his senior year of HS.
I was just answering a question. I really don't know anything about wrestling, but I'd be curious if the comparisons. Who beat higher profile college guys and how old were they when they did it? Looks like Bo was in 10th grade this past year. That seems impressive especially considering there were other ranked wrestlers at that tournament. Plus what other college wrestlers has Bo faced? It looks like he beat a former NCAA champ, but I don't know the specifics or that.

As far as Kolat, looks like he only made the Olympics once in 2000, well after college, and finished 9th. I saw he was the guy that did the back flip at states which is one of the coolest high school sports things that I've seen. I'll bet Bassett isn't doing that one haha.

I was just answering a question. I really don't know anything about wrestling, but I'd be curious if the comparisons. Who beat higher profile college guys and how old were they when they did it? Looks like Bo was in 10th grade this past year. That seems impressive especially considering there were other ranked wrestlers at that tournament. Plus what other college wrestlers has Bo faced? It looks like he beat a former NCAA champ, but I don't know the specifics or that.

As far as Kolat, looks like he only made the Olympics once in 2000, well after college, and finished 9th. I saw he was the guy that did the back flip at states which is one of the coolest high school sports things that I've seen. I'll bet Bassett isn't doing that one haha.
Basset is now in 11th grade but he was held back a year. Not sure of Kotlat' age in regards to being held back or not.

Do not let that 9th place finish fool you. Kotlat beat his guy then hours later without his knowledge or appeal they changed the score of the match and said he lost. They did the same in the world championship too. So twice the governing body of wrestling, FILA, screwed him out of his dreams. Flo wrestling has a interesting documentary if you are interested.

Basset is now in 11th grade but he was held back a year. Not sure of Kotlat' age in regards to being held back or not.

Do not let that 9th place finish fool you. Kotlat beat his guy then hours later without his knowledge or appeal they changed the score of the match and said he lost. They did the same in the world championship too. So twice the governing body of wrestling, FILA, screwed him out of his dreams. Flo wrestling has a interesting documentary if you are interested.
Yeah that sounds interesting, I'll look it up. Sounds a little bit like the gymnastics controversy this year.

As far as the 10th grade thing, I was just referring to when that tournament took place. It's good context to know that he was held back though.

Reactions: Mikefln
Yeah that sounds interesting, I'll look it up. Sounds a little bit like the gymnastics controversy this year.

As far as the 10th grade thing, I was just referring to when that tournament took place. It's good context to know that he was held back though.

To be fair though, everyone is held back now or start kindergarten late.

Best ever? Bassett is not even the best recruit on his own team - that would be Jax Forrest - let alone best ever in PA.

In fact, his cousin Melvin Miller, a rising soph, will probably end up being more highly ranked in his class.

Not to say Bassett isn't great - he is - but he has lost to other HS kids, while also beating college kids.

BTW, Pitt is not landing him. No shot. Nada. He'll end up at either PSU or tOSU. Wrestling recruiting is not like football recruiting. Recruits like this NEVER end up at a program outside the top 5 or so programs unless there's an underlying issue. Even though Pitt is a top 20 program, there is a ceiling on the recruit they can land and he's above it.

Good get for Pitt with Elijah Brown. Under ranked right now and high ceiling.

Best ever? Bassett is not even the best recruit on his own team - that would be Jax Forrest - let alone best ever in PA.

In fact, his cousin Melvin Miller, a rising soph, will probably end up being more highly ranked in his class.

Not to say Bassett isn't great - he is - but he has lost to other HS kids, while also beating college kids.

BTW, Pitt is not landing him. No shot. Nada. He'll end up at either PSU or tOSU. Wrestling recruiting is not like football recruiting. Recruits like this NEVER end up at a program outside the top 5 or so programs unless there's an underlying issue. Even though Pitt is a top 20 program, there is a ceiling on the recruit they can land and he's above it.

And the best part about wrestling recruiting is 6 points is 6 points no matter where you can get it. They might not be able to get a Bassett type but there are other weight classes, especially upper weights where a kid isn't as high profile as Bassett that give you those same amount of points.

Pitt is not a top 20 program right now, they can be but not today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT