ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan to silently protest paterno and psu

Penn State has created this problem for itself. It's been 5 years and they still haven't come to terms with the reality that their coach was a fraud.

The argument "where's the evidence" is simply ludicrous. The kids being raped as far back as the 70's were either too scared to report it or were convinced that it was normal by Jerry.

These kids turned to someone they were supposed to be able to trust, Joe Paterno...and Joe let the victims, Penn State community and humanity down.

...this, while the university that fired Paterno is now honoring him.

Contrary to what they want us to believe, nothing has changed in Happy Valley.

I really believe this current student body, most of them, could care less. Oh sure, they still love their PSU football, but I believe that most want to move on and get past all of this. But the alums, especially those over 40 are the ones that keep on pushing and pushing this Paterno narrative. It serves them no good, no purpose.

I really believe this current student body, most of them, could care less. Oh sure, they still love their PSU football, but I believe that most want to move on and get past all of this. But the alums, especially those over 40 are the ones that keep on pushing and pushing this Paterno narrative. It serves them no good, no purpose.

Correct. This is basically the MO of the boomer alums, many of which are now retired and have nothing better to do than scream on the Internet and at Board meetings. They simply refuse to believe that their Santa Claus was truly the Grinch and that their time at Dear Old State wasn't honest and pure.

Reactions: rojo36
...this, while the university that fired Paterno is now honoring him.

Contrary to what they want us to believe, nothing has changed in Happy Valley.

Wacky Nitters will be on the Michigan board saying Michigan doesn't have any "proof" that Joe Knew. Like unless they see video-tape, they will not consider the idea. How dense and insulated from the real world are these people?

Apparently none of them have ever been inside a college locker room. I know what gets talked about there - and most of it is anything related to sex. For years, Sandusky's reputation would have been the topic of much banter/disparagement/mockery/derision/ridicule throughout the Lasch building and PSU's other athletic facilities... Nothing is off limits for ridicule in a college locker room.

Pretty awesome stand. Would have been pretty cool if we did the same this past week.

We should have done this. I said in a post last week, if our University had any guts it would have had a moment of silence before the game.

After reading the Detroit article, Pitt fans should take comfort that EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF THE CULT, including everyone in the B1G, recognizes and understands their failure and shame.
The only two places in the universe that give a damn about them are Centre County and Allegheny County. Unfortunately for us Pitt fans in the Pittsburgh area, the local press and the bombastic cult make so much of a continuous cacauphony about their team and their one true God it is hard to ignore.
Rest assured the rest of the world realizes that Joe Knew.
Hail to Pitt.

I don't blame them. They don't care about paterno, they are sick of hearing about Sandusky and paterno and having their team linked to this scandal. 18-19 year olds just want to like their team without hearing about what happened in the 80s and 90s.. You have these oldheads who want to tie paterno to this program forever and young kids know that the paterno name is dirt outside of central pa..

You are finally starting to see a divide here that should only grow as time goes on..

As a current PSU student I can tell you this is correct for probably 90% of the student body. Not sure if I'm going to go to the game on Saturday.

The current Penn State Trustees and Administration are really in a pickle and nothing they do to Honor Joe will be enough and nothing they do to Honor Joe and then move on will put it all to Rest after it over.

There is a proper way to do it and that is through Private Unrelated University events happening on Friday with a wink from the University participating but still separate from the University Events.

This is a much agreed compromise Trustees Test Trial to see how the Alumni and Public react and would decide if something more can happen later after the Criminal Trials and Civil Lawsuits come to a complete end.

There has not been one Sports Media Article in favor of Honoring Paterno to the chagrin of the A9 Trustees for it so far. How Events unfolds on Saturday and are being kept more quiet than Narduzzi's Media Blackout are being mixed with Celebrations of THON and other Events as well.

We shall see if this can bring a final solution to a future solution to placate the older Alumni and let the younger Student that are becoming the future Alumni to move on and let stayed buried what is best for groups to unite them sooner and later.

In a strange way, the Pitt-Penn State Game comradely, remarkable friendly behavior, and close score went a long way for Penn State Administration, Coaches, Players, Students, Alumni and Fans experienced the crucible togetherness being a mutual benefit to help Penn State deal with current and future issues that may come out.

In any event, now comes how Temple and then other Big Ten Fans will react as well, and many good friends have told me how much better and and surprised Pitt fans were courtesy, magnanimous, and graceful toward them than Maryland, Rutgers, and other Big Ten Fans were the last 5 years.

Once again, Sports Comradely and test of skills is a better way to bring people together and Penn State badly needs its own Alumni & Fan Base to unite and end the controversies among themselves. Even Onward State Jay Paterno's Article praised Jackie Sherrill and went a long way to accepting Joe's own Legacy can be recognize again, and then put to rests later, while accepting it actually made Pitt and Penn State remember its best years, so more can come now too.

We shall see!

I really applaud the people at the Collegian who wrote the op ed about the Paterno ceremony. I also like that they had the courage to say, "this is not your Penn State anymore." They're right. School is for the students, not for a bunch of older people who haven't grown up yet. You support the school financially, you didn't buy it outright.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I personally think it's too soon. They need to let these law suits take there place. If he is proven to have covered it up in a court in any of these suits, then so be it. I'm moving on until proven differently.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I personally think it's too soon. They need to let these law suits take there place. If he is proven to have covered it up in a court in any of these suits, then so be it. I'm moving on until proven differently.
just as long as you and the other psu fans have enough time to heal. you are the real victim, you and paterno's legacy of course.

As a current PSU student I can tell you this is correct for probably 90% of the student body. Not sure if I'm going to go to the game on Saturday.
The problem with the situation is this: the fact that Paterno is being honored at a game makes it an official act of the university. The university is not just giving its blessing, but they're also assisting and participating in the ceremony. They're giving it legitimacy.

When a student sees this, what are most students going to think? You say that most students don't care; I'll have to take you at your word since you're there.

But it's gonna be interesting to see what the students' reaction will be once they're in the stadium. They've been put in the position of having to choose either to follow what the university is celebrating - or to not go along. If 90% feel as you do, it will be obvious to everyone who's watching.

I think it would be appropriate if those 90% turned around and showed their backs to the field during the ceremony; to "look the other way", as Paterno did.

As a current student, the torch has been passed to you and your fellow classmates. You've been given the pen to write what your school's history will be.

Last edited:
A peaceful protest that will raise money for kids. Yet still the joetards are spreading their propaganda in the comments section of that article.

I'm sure the BWI lunatics will get his personal info and terrorize him and his family. It's who they are, it's what they do.

I figured this too. Folks that became students since the scandal broke and the passing of Paterno don't really feel much, if any, connection to him and the establishment that was around him. Makes perfect sense.

I'm sure the other 10% are students who have parents who were joebots. I met a few Penn State students at the game this past week and they were very nice kids, nothing like the joebots.

Reactions: dendobbs
"ViciousHitter, post: 1577070, member: 39045"]Penn State has created this problem for itself. It's been 5 years and they still haven't come to terms with the reality that their coach was a fraud.
It is a tough dilemma because Paterno had so much passion just to build up his own Program and like you said brought upon Penn State two fateful traits that can often make one win but also once exposed can divide.

The Passion To Win In JoePa's Excellence Coaching:
When Joe took over in 1965 the Pitt-Penn State Series was 33-21-3 Favoring Pitt and like any Young Coach the way to build your Program is to beat your biggest Competitor and that was Pitt! One must give credit to Joe's Focus on that without any apologies. At the same time, it was up to Pitt to stop it but Pitt lost focus on lack foresight in seeing Winning Football Games brings a perception of Winning and Growing an University not to mention future money from uniting a giving Alumni! No one should blame Joe for his passion to win and gain every edge to make it happen at Penn State, it is unfair in my opinion. If Pitt had maintain its Excellence way back in 1939 and develop it more in 1960s that could have taken on Joe own Passion that deserves praise not disdain. All Pitt fans have to recognize and respect that Joe Paterno was Great Coach. i am not saying anyone has to like him many did not, and he did not run a complete 409 clean Program in everything. But he was a Great Coach nonetheless and better family Man of Values.

Penn State Fans Ignorance Creation:
Joe when appointed as Head Coach, was smart enough to see the future in building PSU football at a time when Pitt-Cuse-WVU were not realizing how important it would become in the future. This is Fact that many Pitt Fans know to be true too. Why Is ay up to Pitt to build up Pitt!

What few know is one of the first things Joe did was violate the Big Four Agreement among Pitt-PSU,Cuse-WVU that limited Scholarships to 25 Players Per Year and Medical Redshirts to 10. This was a way to reduce Athletics Costs and emphasize Academic Excellence and precursor to the NCAA adopting it in 1974 that now limits Scholarships to 25 & 85 in Total. Some schools back then has Rosters of 250 players often taking Players just to keep them away from their competitors. This Agreement greatly removed Eastern Football from relevance. Syracuse just won the NCS in 1960 and Pitt was actually #2 in 1963 with a team producing many Lawyers, Doctors, and Dentists!

Joe started to add 35 Redshirts Freshmen that would not play but practiced and made Penn State capable to gain an edge over all Eastern Independents especially Cuse-WVU-Pitt that continue to limit Redshirts to 10 Medical and it was Pitt, Cuse and WVU ignored what Joe was building to make his Teams more competitive. Additionally, Penn State University removed Foreign Language Requirements as well in Football Players Major curriculum's while Pitt refused to increase Redshirts and would not remove Language requirements for its Players. Even Joe Namath said as Recruit to Bama I avoided Pitt and Penn State because I would not have to go to classes and take a foreign language. This incensed Bama's Bear Bryant because it not fully true!

Still, this gave an great edge to Paterno's Program by having 35 Redshirts going there every year more than to Pitt-WVU-Cuse. To be fair, Joe's Great Coaching won those Games as well and against National Competition in bowls. Joe took Winning Bowl Games more serious than nay Coach in the NCAA to his credit! They were not rewards for an great season, They were serious ways to gain National recognition by beating teams with 10 Wins, so give credit to Joe on that too? Meanwhile, Beano Cook's famous statement that after 1963 that Pitt Produced the Best Bilingual Teams in America were true but often at 1-10?

Penn State Arrogance Creation:
Joe used those 35 Redshirts advantages but could not gain National Respect when it came because they felt PSU was beating Eastern Football weaklings. Joe had two years of Undefeated Season in 1968-69 but Ohio State and Texas were voted #1, in spite of Joe beating Top 5 Teams in Bowls. Pitt Alumni got together in 1970s and Chancellor Posvar with Cas as AD just donated millions and first thing Pitt did was end the Big Four Agreement that Paterno was not followig anyway. Pitt brought in Johnny Majors that brought in 90+ Recruits in 1973-74 before the NCAA 25 Scholarship Limit was enforced in 1975. Pitt Rosters caught up to Penn State in just two years, but still had trouble winning against Joe because Joe was always a great coach and now his Program was just growing and growing with his 10+ Winnings season that continued and Penn State Fans just got used to thinking the were better than other universities because they win in football. Joe would do many things to get under the skin of hos competitor coaches as well. This is what great coaches do without it looking like they are doing it. Narduzzi just did it to Franklin all week.

However, Pitt playing tougher schedules in UCLA, ASU, GT, Georgia, USC, FSU, Oklahoma, and beating Notre Dame twice actually help Eastern Football gaining respect Nationally and really upset Paterno and PSU Fans used to being the only Big Eastern Independent. Joe continued to beat Pitt too to overcome the Pitt Series advantages that still favor Pitt 34-31-3 in 1975. Paterno was play Teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, TCU, NCS, Maryland all weaker in those days, a few tough Teams in Colorado, UTenn and Kentucky that were good, but won played and won Big Bowl Games that helped them in Rankings and even again in 1973 went 12-0 with 4 other Teams, but voted 4th in Polls again a disrespect for Joe' 3 Undefeated records Seasons now? Joe added far tougher Team after 1975 to his credit and beat them too!

Nevertheless, it was in 1976 when Pitt won the National Championship before Joe that really set off the PSU Fans Arrogance & Ignorance that still exists in the CD's fans today. Joe just got more fired up as well. Joe kept seeking a competitive edge to combat Pitt and now Pitt was being joined by FSU, Miami, WVU, Cuse, and BC becoming more competitive too. The Independents started to dominate the Bowls and Polls too. Joe all of sudden started to pay attention to Graduation Rates in the 1980s (Never At 100% and Below 70% in 8 and 9 years but above 70% & 90% in more to be fair), as good slogans for Recruiting. Preaching Grand Experiments and Success with Honor and tearing down competitors in a slight way, and saying it was off the record, but he created his Cult of Personality with every well earned win and few "Ref Guman Wins", and 2 NCS he finally earned. The Media loved it, and Penn State spouted it, and even the NCAA passed on Investigations that should have happen as well as a Non-Internet Press not reporting everything going on at isolated State College, but Urban Campus Press rooms reported everything going on at USC, UCLA, Pitt, BC, Miami, NW, and elsewhere. Penn State also exploded in Admission and Growth in making money from Football just like Bama is doing today in bringing in more Out of State Student paying far more then In State students! Even PSU Trustees started to go into Business with Joe with Undisclosed Conflicts of Interests and Nike Show Contracts started under a PSU Grad working with Knight in Oregon?

This is what caused the Arrogance older PSU Alumni still preach, practice and won't accept and it was going on as Sandusky was preying and lying to everyone including Paterno! Paterno's focus was only on winning and building the PSU Program and by 1991 Joe caught Pitt Series Record at 40-40-4 and never looked back as Pitt enter Pitt's Chancellor Myopic Dark Ages again, until Nordenberg.

The argument "where's the evidence" is simply ludicrous. The kids being raped as far back as the 70's were either too scared to report it or were convinced that it was normal by Jerry.
This is now true and the Media that once built up the Saint JoePA, have come to turn on his Legacy & Penn State Fans that have memories he gave them and why he can be Honored at PSU but not anywhere in the World in the future and more forgotten as a Greek Tragedy?

These kids turned to someone they were supposed to be able to trust, Joe Paterno...and Joe let the victims, Penn State community and humanity down.
Sandusky was preying, lying, and bribing Children known to be liars, troubled, and with many emotional problems of shame, confidence, and doing bad things that made them more vulnerable and carefully selected by Sandusky and his own adopted son?

When those children told Joe back in 1970's we don't know everything yet since the Media does not have all unsealed Documents. Yet, it my belief that Sandusky was lying to Joe and his Wife and saying those kids are liars and ungrateful i am helping them their Mothers & Fathers too? This is what I am told by Pedophile Investigators and later bribing the Kids to stay silent happen and some recanted!

To be fair Joe was focused only on Football and Family! At that time no one discussed Domestic Abuse let alone believe in Children Abuse? I can see why Joe dismissed such allegations in 1970s and 1980s. Still, need to see more before one can fully judge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT