ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Trubisky?

I get it, Kenny sucks, but you just ignore that fact to show him "Pitt Love". Personally, I care about the Steelers as a team, having a real NFL level QB, more than I do about a Pitt alumnus succeeding in the NFL. 24 games in, you'd think Kenny would have just one game as good as Bailey Zappe's first half last night, playing in a New England offense at least as bad or worse than the Steelers offense.
'
This ignores the fact that Zappe has a real OC and what he did last night was a one-half aberration over a short career of mediocrity and Kenny has had Canada as an OC, an abject failure and truly one of the worst OCs in NFL history.

The jury is out on Kenny but until he gets a true OC we will never truly know what his level is.

This ignores the fact that Zappe has a real OC and what he did last night was a one-half aberration over a short career of mediocrity and Kenny has had Canada as an OC, an abject failure and truly one of the worst OCs in NFL history.

The jury is out on Kenny but until he gets a true OC we will never truly know what his level is.
Yes, the real OC, whose team scored 13 points combined the last 3 games, and Kenny has 24 starts, why hasn't he had a one-half aberration with probably 10 times the reps that Zappe has, where is Kenny's aberration game?

Yes, the real OC, whose team scored 13 points combined the last 3 games, and Kenny has 24 starts, why hasn't he had a one-half aberration with probably 10 times the reps that Zappe has, where is Kenny's aberration game?
The patrriots beat a bad and struggling Steelers .
Kenny has beat actually good teams
Stop worrying about the stats so much

We lost last night because our defense stunk for a half .
Walker can’t cover anyone - and was exploited time and time again

Because Rudolph is a stiff. Don't believe me, ask the other 31 teams who didn't want him. Plus, he may get crippled behind this offensive line.
I remember there was a guy who was out of football named Tommy Maddox. Turns out he was a perfect bridge QB who could win games. The NFL is awful at evaluating QB play. Mason Rudolph would be a quality starter in the right system. The question that should be asked is how did Colbert and Tomlin look at Trubisky’s 50+ games has a starter and think “ He’s better than Mason and he can start and win us games “…….that same process is still in the building misevaluating QB play

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
They went into the season with a high school playbook. If that was by design, they're years away.

I remember there was a guy who was out of football named Tommy Maddox. Turns out he was a perfect bridge QB who could win games. The NFL is awful at evaluating QB play. Mason Rudolph would be a quality starter in the right system. The question that should be asked is how did Colbert and Tomlin look at Trubisky’s 50+ games has a starter and think “ He’s better than Mason and he can start and win us games “…….that same process is still in the building misevaluating QB play
i named my late cat after him, and i wasnt even that big of a fan of his.

The patrriots beat a bad and struggling Steelers .
Kenny has beat actually good teams
Stop worrying about the stats so much

We lost last night because our defense stunk for a half .
Walker can’t cover anyone - and was exploited time and time again
I wouldn't worry about mediocre stats, but I am tired of people acting like his pathetic stats don't matter. you don't think it's possible that this team could have won a few more games if Kenny had put up more yards and passing TDs? Maybe they compete in a game instead of losing 30-7? maybe they beat an AZ 28-24, instead of losing 24-10 if Kenny has yards and TDs? This is what I find funny, people thinking the lack of stats doesn't matter and having less yards and TDs than average is OK.

I wouldn't worry about mediocre stats, but I am tired of people acting like his pathetic stats don't matter. you don't think it's possible that this team could have won a few more games if Kenny had put up more yards and passing TDs? Maybe they compete in a game instead of losing 30-7? maybe they beat an AZ 28-24, instead of losing 24-10 if Kenny has yards and TDs? This is what I find funny, people thinking the lack of stats doesn't matter and having less yards and TDs than average is OK.
What do you want - 300 yards passing and 3tds and 2int in a loss
Or 200 yards maybe 1 td in a win ?

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Why can't you have the 3-2-300 and a win, I see that happen often enough. And plenty of times you also see 200-1-0 and it's a loss.
Because I’m asking the questions to see where your priority actually is

This is just like the Dixon days when folks would get so upset about winning ugly because the style points weren’t there
Then we just lost a lot afterwards

I preferred the former

Because I’m asking the questions to see where your priority actually is

This is just like the Dixon days when folks would get so upset about winning ugly because the style points weren’t there
Then we just lost a lot afterwards

I preferred the former
Not throwing picks isn't the be all and end all of passing, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Tua, Hurts, Goff, all have double or triple the picks that Kenny has, also double or triple the TDs and their teams aren't losing, probably because more TDs impacts winning as much or more than not turning it over. I guess the difference is between going out and trying to win by scoring or going out and trying to win by making less mistakes and hoping you win because the other team screws up rather than because you have the skill to score.

Not throwing picks isn't the be all and end all of passing, Josh Allen, Mahomes, Tua, Hurts, Goff, all have double or triple the picks that Kenny has, also double or triple the TDs and their teams aren't losing, probably because more TDs impacts winning as much or more than not turning it over.
So- you named the top 5 qbs in the nfl as being preferable
Bold statement , Mr Obvious!

So- you named the top 5 qbs in the nfl as being preferable
Bold statement , Mr Obvious!
The point was not who they are as much as that they are throwing more picks, I can add Love, Mayfield, Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, Lawrence to the list, all throwing double the picks Kenny throws, all have double TDs too. the point is minimizing ints isn't everything, being obsessed with never risking a pick probably cuts your TD numbers significantly. DeVito has 7 TDs in a third of Kenny's attempt, he's probably pulling the trigger on throws that Kenny backs off on, I'd rather he let it rip and risk the int.

Yeah that’s a bingo. I think Tomlin is enamored with a QB who can move and he doesn’t think Rudolph can. Except Rudolph was athletic enough to rush for 60 yards on a rainy day in his last start here. The problem is, he only had one receiver to throw to that day due to injuries, and that WR fumbled the game away in FG position in OT.

Mitch for whatever reason, is more decisive than Kenny when it’s time to escape the pocket and run toward the sticks. But he doesn’t do anything else better. Which is why I think Rudolph should be given the extended time off to prepare for the Colts.

The point was not who they are as much as that they are throwing more picks, I can add Love, Mayfield, Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, Lawrence to the list, all throwing double the picks Kenny throws, all have double TDs too. the point is minimizing ints isn't everything, being obsessed with never risking a pick probably cuts your TD numbers significantly. DeVito has 7 TDs in a third of Kenny's attempt, he's probably pulling the trigger on throws that Kenny backs off on, I'd rather he let it rip and risk the int.
Sometimes an occasional pick down field isn’t any worse than a 3 and out by your offense. I’d argue that the 3 and outs are worse because you’re not resting your defense. If there was an advanced stat to measure such things, I wonder how a 3 and out would be measured vs an int.

Yeah that’s a bingo. I think Tomlin is enamored with a QB who can move and he doesn’t think Rudolph can. Except Rudolph was athletic enough to rush for 60 yards on a rainy day in his last start here. The problem is, he only had one receiver to throw to that day due to injuries, and that WR fumbled the game away in FG position in OT.

Mitch for whatever reason, is more decisive than Kenny when it’s time to escape the pocket and run toward the sticks. But he doesn’t do anything else better. Which is why I think Rudolph should be given the extended time off to prepare for the Colts.
I’d point out that Tommy Maddox was a first round draft pick

In his best steeler year he threw for 20 touchdowns , 16 picks and 8 fumbles
Then the team went 6-10 to draft Big Ben

So in this analogy - Kenny is Maddox . Except with out 6 years of nfl/xfl experience

Tommy Maddox was great; he had a major league arm and mentality attached to an insurance agents' body.
Did I really just read "Tommy Maddox was great?" First Zappe and now Tommy Maddox. LOL, holy shit. You should probably sit out any discussions of QBs. Please tell me you're trolling.

Maddox was 16-17 with the Steelers. He had 46 TDs and 44 Ints. Now, do you want me to go over the players he had on that offense? There's a reason a rookie Big Ben came in and went 13-0 in 2005, and it's not because they relied on him to win games.

Reactions: FireballZ
Did I really just read "Tommy Maddox was great?" First Zappe and now Tommy Maddox. LOL, holy shit. You should probably sit out any discussions of QBs. Please tell me you're trolling.

Maddox was 16-17 with the Steelers. He had 46 TDs and 44 Ints. Now, do you want me to go over the players he had on that offense? There's a reason a rookie Big Ben came in and went 13-0 in 2005, and it's not because they relied on him to win games.
He also had well into double figures in fumbles
His best quality was being so bad that the Steelers got a quality Qb with the 11th overall pick

With this analogy - perhaps it’s actually Mitch who is Maddox in this analogy ?

Go back over the last number of years and see how many "Bailey Zappe" quarterbacks had real good games against us. When Dick LeBeau was DC, that is when rookie and young quarterbacks struggled.

Reactions: Dan1911 and jctrack
Go back over the last number of years and see how many "Bailey Zappe" quarterbacks had real good games against us. When Dick LeBeau was DC, that is when rookie and young quarterbacks struggled.
I can ‘t remember having 3rd stringers and backups at MLB those years , either - in fairness

Nope. Just saying he’s a better option than Mitch

You do your straw man argument though, if that makes you feel better.
Hes not a better option than Mitch, though. Mitch blows but Rudolph never sniffed a modicum of success.

He was better than Kenny, Kenny hasn't come close to performing at his level, what a relief it was when Tommy kicked Kordell to the curb and we got major league passing for the first time. He wasn't elite, but you can probably find a dozen games where his performance was double Kennys best games ever.

46 pass TDs in 33 games, > 13 in 24 games, he came from behind to beat Cleveland in a shootout, 36-33 in a playoff game, Kenny winning any shootouts? Until Ben came, Tommy's 479-yard game was the team record, Kenny needs minimum 3 games to top that. Kenny is nowhere near his talent level, nor has he come close to matching his best games.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Where is Kenny's "really good game", when is he going to have JUST ONE? How much longer do we need to wait?

I can ‘t remember having 3rd stringers and backups at MLB those years , either - in fairness

Where is Kenny's "really good game", when is he going to have JUST ONE? How much longer do we need to wait?
What do you consider a good game? Just stats? I guess the 4th quarter comebacks to win games don't count because he didn't put up gaudy numbers? The team was tied or losing those games and he engineered a drive to win the game, but that isn't as important as winning.

What do you consider a good game? Just stats? I guess the 4th quarter comebacks to win games don't count because he didn't put up gaudy numbers? The team was tied or losing those games and he engineered a drive to win the game, but that isn't as important as winning.

Some people think that it's way better to pass for 400 yards and lose than pass for 200 yards and win.

Twice as good, in fact.

He was better than Kenny, Kenny hasn't come close to performing at his level, what a relief it was when Tommy kicked Kordell to the curb and we got major league passing for the first time. He wasn't elite, but you can probably find a dozen games where his performance was double Kennys best games ever.

46 pass TDs in 33 games, > 13 in 24 games, he came from behind to beat Cleveland in a shootout, 36-33 in a playoff game, Kenny winning any shootouts? Until Ben came, Tommy's 479-yard game was the team record, Kenny needs minimum 3 games to top that. Kenny is nowhere near his talent level, nor has he come close to matching his best games.

This what Maddox had to work with in his glorious 7-3-1 season. He followed it up with 6-10. Imagine giving that OL and players to Kenny.

RBs
Bettis
Zereou

WRs/TE
Ward
Burress
Randel El

O-Line
Faneca
Hartings
Simmons
Marvel Smith
Wayne Gandy

This what Maddox had to work with in his glorious 7-3-1 season. He followed it up with 6-10. Imagine giving that OL and players to Kenny.

RBs
Bettis
Zereou

WRs/TE
Ward
Burress
Randel El

O-Line
Faneca
Hartings
Simmons
Marvel Smith
Wayne Gandy

It's almost as if context matters.

Huh. Who knew?

🤷‍♀️

A good game would include consistency in all 4 quarters, so you build a lead and don't necessarily need a comeback. I find it funny that so many of you equate good stats to losing for some reason. And yeah, how about Kenny, just once putting up GAUDY STATS, would that be a bad thing if he ever did? He engineered some awesome game winning drives, how about more engineering, more often in the 1st three quarters.

Reactions: Burgh15

RBs
Bettis
Zereou

WRs/TE
Ward
Burress
Randel El

O-Line
Faneca
Hartings
Simmons
Marvel Smith
Wayne Gandy
More excuses for Kenny! I certainly hope he can ever play as good as Tommy Maddox played in 2002, he hasn't come close yet, Sure it was just one season, let's hope Kenny can get that good someday.

Some people seem to equate putting up good stats to losing, why is that?

No one equates putting up good stats to losing.

It is pretty obvious, however, that some people equate putting up good stats to winning. I mean most people know that there is more to it than that. But some people don't seem to.

Of the 20 games that the Stillers have had their most net passing yard in, the Stillers record in those games was 7-12-1.

It is almost as if passing for a lot of yards does not guarantee that you are going to win the game.

More excuses for Kenny! I certainly hope he can ever play as good as Tommy Maddox played in 2002, he hasn't come close yet, Sure it was just one season, let's hope Kenny can get that good someday.
Pointing out that Maddox wasn't even average, while playing with multiple Hall of famers, isn't making excuses for Kenny.

If Kenny plays like Maddox, he'll be in the arena league like Tommy was after the Steelers are done with him.

If Kenny plays like Maddox, he'll be in the arena league like Tommy was after the Steelers are done with him.
But he's not even playing half as good, maybe he can play in a local flag football league? In 2 games Flacco has almost passed him in TD passes, this whole idea that throwing TD passes doesn't matter is totally insane, I guess it's just to protect PITT GUY Kenny.

Of the 20 games that the Stillers have had their most net passing yard in, the Stillers record in those games was 7-12-1.

It is almost as if passing for a lot of yards does not guarantee that you are going to win the game.
Nice cherry picking, so are we to believe that the record is better during the 20 worst games? I mean not counting the 1930s or the single wing days. You people saying that stats are meaningless are totally insane and just protecting the PITT GUY, just because he's a PITT GUY,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT