ADVERTISEMENT

More Bowls? you got'em

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
Based on recommendations by the NCAA’s Competition Committee, there are expected to be three new bowl games added for the 2020 season, sources said.

In 2020, a record 43 bowls (including the College Football Playoff title game) would be held, meaning a record 65 percent of the 130 FBS schools (84 teams) will play in a bowl game.

The Competition Committee’s recommendations, expected to be approved Tuesday by the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee, has also designated the maximum number of bowl tie-ins per conference. These numbers were based on each conference’s average number of bowl-eligible teams in the past four seasons (2014-17).

The number of proposed bowls allowed per conference beginning in 2020, the start of the new bowl cycle, will be as follows (the Power 5 tie-ins do not include one New Year’s 6 bid for each league):

League Maximum bowl tie-ins
ACC 10 (not including ACC’s Orange Bowl bid)
SEC 10 (not including SEC’s Sugar Bowl bid)
Big Ten 8 (not including Big Ten’s Rose Bowl bid)
Pac-12 7 (not including Pac-12’s Rose Bowl bid)
Big 12 6 (not including Big 12’s Sugar Bowl bid)
American 7
Conference USA 7
Mid-American 6
Mountain West 6
Sun Belt 5
Army & BYU each can secure its own automatic bowl tie-in, but the remaining independents (New Mexico State, UMass and Liberty) must hope for an at-large spot from a conference that can’t fill all of its allotments in a specific year. Notre Dame remains part of the ACC’s bowl lineup.

So what does all this mean? Based on multiple sources, here’s how the 2020 bowl landscape could shake out.

* The three new bowls? Chicago and Myrtle Beach are near locks to host two of the new bowl games.

The Chicago bowl, to be played at Wrigley Field, will feature the Big Ten against the ACC, sources said. To add the Chicago bowl in 2020, the Big Ten is expected to end its affiliation with the San Francisco Bowl (formerly Foster Farms Bowl) after 2019.

Myrtle Beach and ESPN officials have had ongoing discussions about starting this bowl game, sources said. The most likely conferences affiliated with Myrtle Beach could be Conference USA, the Sun Belt or the Mid-American. If the Sun Belt is involved, look for the league to cut ties in 2020 with either Arizona, Dollar General, Camellia or Cure, all part of the Sun Belt’s current bowl lineup.

The third new bowl? This isn’t as clear cut. Arizona State has shown interest in adding a bowl in Tempe. And a number of cities/communities have expressed interest in the past including Charleston, S.C., and Greenville, N.C. The only certainty is before a bowl can be created, it must have a contract with two conferences and/or BYU/Army.

* Which conferences increased their bowl tie-ins in the new bowl cycle? The SEC (hello Vegas!), Pac-12, Conference USA, Mid-American and Mountain West all will be able to add another bowl affiliation in 2020, compared with their current allotments.

The Pac-12 will get an additional bowl bid in two years even though just last week the league announced it would prohibit any conference teams with 5-7 records from accepting bowl bids. That should be fun. What also could be interesting is what the Pac-12 does with the San Francisco Bowl after it loses the Big Ten. Foster Farms ended its four-year naming rights agreement, so the San Francisco Bowl is currently without a naming rights sponsor and it’s doubtful the Pac-12 can find another Power 5 opponent for the bowl. Could that possibly open the door for the Mountain West to San Francisco since it’s losing its tie-in with the Las Vegas Bowl?

* Vegas, baby, Vegas! As I reported last week, the Las Vegas Bowl will feature the Pac-12 vs. another Power 5 school in Vegas’ new NFL stadium in 2020, ending the bowl’s 19-year run with the Mountain West at Sam Boyd Stadium. It’s not a done deal, but sources said it’s “very likely” the Pac-12’s opponent will be from the SEC. Since it’s Vegas, I’d bet on the SEC. I’m told the matchup could be the Pac-12’s second or third selection vs. the SEC’s third or fourth selection and the game obviously would be moved off the first Saturday of bowl season.

As far as the Mountain West, among its options on where to send its champion is the Arizona Bowl, but there could be other possibilities based on what other bowls may change conference affiliations. Also, it could end up in the new Arizona State bowl, if created.

* American champ? The American is exploring the idea of having a bowl that annually hosts its conference champion, when it’s not in a New Year’s 6 game. Although the AAC currently does not have a tie-in with the Liberty, the league is intrigued about the possibility of sending its champion to Memphis, sources said. The Liberty is currently affiliated with the SEC and Big 12.

* What makes sense (so it will never happen): What if the Group of 5 designated that the four Group of 5 conference champions that didn’t advance to the New Year’s 6 bowl meet annually in two bowls each year? They could be paired based on highest rankings (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) or geography.

They could involve current bowls that host Group of 5 games such as New Orleans, Gasparilla (Tampa), Mobile, Frisco or Arizona. It would guarantee those two bowls always featured two conference champions.

The NCAA is expected to officially announce any changes to the current bowl formats by July 1.

They have essentially figured out a way to add a 13th game for most teams. Probably most hurtful to those teams that finish with 6 or 7 wins and then must lose money to travel to a game nobody wants to see and where they can't sell their ticket allotments.

Reactions: Mikefln
Myrtle Beach? Is there a stadium there? If they build one, will they come?

I think they would use Coastal Carolina's stadium which seats around 15K with expansion plans to 20K. Pretty tiny for a bowl game, though I think the Bahamas Bowl stadium was smaller. Didn't realize Coastal Carolina had such a nice stadium though.

I love Chicago but you couldn’t pay me to sit in Wrigley Field in December.

At what point do the Rooney’s try to start up a bowl game for Heinz Field?

Sweet, 3 more games putting 6 more crappy teams on tv. Just what people want to watch. Yawn!

At least the NFL will be own to take my attention away from an exhausting bowl season again.

Reactions: Ski11585
People complain about watching some Bowl games.

However, look at how many teams schedule really crappy teams to play for their OOC games just to get the opportunity to play in one of these Bowl games.

At least the Bowl team you play will have to have at least 5 wins.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Sweet, 3 more games putting 6 more crappy teams on tv. Just what people want to watch. Yawn!

At least the NFL will be own to take my attention away from an exhausting bowl season again.
it's exhausting? Watching college football on tv is exhausting?

The same people complaining about these bowl games are the ones saying we should schedule more MAC caliber games and more d1-aa games. Playing a bowl eligible P5 team in late December is boring but playing new Hampshire in September is great fun, lol.

you know you don't have to watch every game during "bowl season." You can just watch a game or two, or none at all. Or you can watch a game and if it gets too "exhausting" then you can use that remote control thingy and change the channel until you regain your energy during this exhaustive experience. I think, not 100% sure yet but I think you may even have the ability to get up off the couch and do something else during bowl season.

you guys are all lunatics, every one of you.

Not sure why this pisses people off, everyone knows they don't have to watch.
dude, I seriously think there are some pitt fans on this board that don't know this. I mean it, some poster said bowl season is "too exhausting", I mean, I think this guy is under the assumption that he has to watch every game..

a lot of pitt fans want to play a 4 game pre-season and not schedule an actual D1 opponent until conference play starts, they want more fcs teams and more "rent a wins" against mac teams but they find playing a bowl eligible P5 team in December boring. playing akron is fun, playing deleware or grambling is fun but playing a big ten team is boring.

the more I read threads on this board from fellow pitt fans, the more alone I feel in this world.

Apparently someone is watching or they wouldn't schedule more games.

I never understood the "too many bowl games" angle. Why would anyone care how many games they schedule?

At this point, any team that wants to play a 13th game but doesn't have enough wins, should be allowed to schedule their own "invitational" game with another school at whatever available destination that they and the other school choose, after the season is over. For instance, last season Pitt could've decided to schedule a game vs any non-bowl team and have it played at a HS or small college stadium near some southern resort destination. Sell a couple thousand tickets from Pitt fans get a southern school near the location to be the other team and bring some fans as well. Split the revenues with the other school. You probably break even, hopefully get a win and also get some more practice time for young guys like Pickett. If you don't want to schedule the game, or you wouldn't be able to break even, you can just bag it and wait for next year.

dude, I seriously think there are some pitt fans on this board that don't know this. I mean it, some poster said bowl season is "too exhausting", I mean, I think this guy is under the assumption that he has to watch every game..

a lot of pitt fans want to play a 4 game pre-season and not schedule an actual D1 opponent until conference play starts, they want more fcs teams and more "rent a wins" against mac teams but they find playing a bowl eligible P5 team in December boring. playing akron is fun, playing deleware or grambling is fun but playing a big ten team is boring.

the more I read threads on this board from fellow pitt fans, the more alone I feel in this world.
Yeah, I don't think that is what those people are saying, at all.

Nobody said that Pitt should play four scrubs and anyone complaining about playing a B1G game was arguing for more PSU and WVU. We're here for you bro. Just keep up with what's going on.

Nobody said that Pitt should play four scrubs and anyone complaining about playing a B1G game was arguing for more PSU and WVU. We're here for you bro. Just keep up with what's going on.
lol, there is about 15 threads filled with posters saying we should play cupcakes in our OOC schedule. Literally 10+ threads in the last four months.

Let me know if you need help finding them, they are littered all over this and the free board. here are a few. dude, you got to keep up man, if you're gonna jump in here and debate, you got to keep up with the conversation. im here for you bro.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/future-game-v-wisconsin.132010/page-2#post-2317804

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/ooc.131297/page-2#post-2301111

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/top-3-difficult-schedule.130844/page-3#post-2292518

Last edited:
Too bad the Myrtle Beach location didn't have a bigger stadium. Would have much rather had that be an ACC tie-in rather than Chicago.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
lol, there is about 15 threads filled with posters saying we should play cupcakes in our OOC schedule. Literally 10+ threads in the last four months.

Let me know if you need help finding them, they are littered all over this and the free board. here are a few. dude, you got to keep up man, if you're gonna jump in here and debate, you got to keep up with the conversation. im here for you bro.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/future-game-v-wisconsin.132010/page-2#post-2317804

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/ooc.131297/page-2#post-2301111

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/top-3-difficult-schedule.130844/page-3#post-2292518

Saying that Pitt needs an easier OOC schedule versus saying that Pitt should play four cupcakes and no P5's are two very different things. I was on all those threads. If you want to denigrate people for that opinion, at least get it right.

Saying that Pitt needs an easier OOC schedule versus saying that Pitt should play four cupcakes and no P5's are two very different things. I was on all those threads. If you want to denigrate people for that opinion, at least get it right.
multiple people in these threads are saying play cupcakes, get to 9 wins, no one cares how you get them. it's in there, many (NOT ALL) people saying that. you cant find it even with me providing a link, that's on you.

but you keep up with your point.

Apparently someone is watching or they wouldn't schedule more games.

I never understood the "too many bowl games" angle. Why would anyone care how many games they schedule?

It is just something they say so they can talk about “participation trophies” and bitch at holiday parties. Like they wouldn’t watch if 5-7 Pitt were playing in a bowl. I’m sure they would boycott out of principal for Pitt accepting the bid and money.

Based on recommendations by the NCAA’s Competition Committee, there are expected to be three new bowl games added for the 2020 season, sources said.

In 2020, a record 43 bowls (including the College Football Playoff title game) would be held, meaning a record 65 percent of the 130 FBS schools (84 teams) will play in a bowl game.

The Competition Committee’s recommendations, expected to be approved Tuesday by the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee, has also designated the maximum number of bowl tie-ins per conference. These numbers were based on each conference’s average number of bowl-eligible teams in the past four seasons (2014-17).

The number of proposed bowls allowed per conference beginning in 2020, the start of the new bowl cycle, will be as follows (the Power 5 tie-ins do not include one New Year’s 6 bid for each league):

League Maximum bowl tie-ins
ACC 10 (not including ACC’s Orange Bowl bid)
SEC 10 (not including SEC’s Sugar Bowl bid)
Big Ten 8 (not including Big Ten’s Rose Bowl bid)
Pac-12 7 (not including Pac-12’s Rose Bowl bid)
Big 12 6 (not including Big 12’s Sugar Bowl bid)
American 7
Conference USA 7
Mid-American 6
Mountain West 6
Sun Belt 5
Army & BYU each can secure its own automatic bowl tie-in, but the remaining independents (New Mexico State, UMass and Liberty) must hope for an at-large spot from a conference that can’t fill all of its allotments in a specific year. Notre Dame remains part of the ACC’s bowl lineup.

So what does all this mean? Based on multiple sources, here’s how the 2020 bowl landscape could shake out.

* The three new bowls? Chicago and Myrtle Beach are near locks to host two of the new bowl games.

The Chicago bowl, to be played at Wrigley Field, will feature the Big Ten against the ACC, sources said. To add the Chicago bowl in 2020, the Big Ten is expected to end its affiliation with the San Francisco Bowl (formerly Foster Farms Bowl) after 2019.

Myrtle Beach and ESPN officials have had ongoing discussions about starting this bowl game, sources said. The most likely conferences affiliated with Myrtle Beach could be Conference USA, the Sun Belt or the Mid-American. If the Sun Belt is involved, look for the league to cut ties in 2020 with either Arizona, Dollar General, Camellia or Cure, all part of the Sun Belt’s current bowl lineup.

The third new bowl? This isn’t as clear cut. Arizona State has shown interest in adding a bowl in Tempe. And a number of cities/communities have expressed interest in the past including Charleston, S.C., and Greenville, N.C. The only certainty is before a bowl can be created, it must have a contract with two conferences and/or BYU/Army.

* Which conferences increased their bowl tie-ins in the new bowl cycle? The SEC (hello Vegas!), Pac-12, Conference USA, Mid-American and Mountain West all will be able to add another bowl affiliation in 2020, compared with their current allotments.

The Pac-12 will get an additional bowl bid in two years even though just last week the league announced it would prohibit any conference teams with 5-7 records from accepting bowl bids. That should be fun. What also could be interesting is what the Pac-12 does with the San Francisco Bowl after it loses the Big Ten. Foster Farms ended its four-year naming rights agreement, so the San Francisco Bowl is currently without a naming rights sponsor and it’s doubtful the Pac-12 can find another Power 5 opponent for the bowl. Could that possibly open the door for the Mountain West to San Francisco since it’s losing its tie-in with the Las Vegas Bowl?

* Vegas, baby, Vegas! As I reported last week, the Las Vegas Bowl will feature the Pac-12 vs. another Power 5 school in Vegas’ new NFL stadium in 2020, ending the bowl’s 19-year run with the Mountain West at Sam Boyd Stadium. It’s not a done deal, but sources said it’s “very likely” the Pac-12’s opponent will be from the SEC. Since it’s Vegas, I’d bet on the SEC. I’m told the matchup could be the Pac-12’s second or third selection vs. the SEC’s third or fourth selection and the game obviously would be moved off the first Saturday of bowl season.

As far as the Mountain West, among its options on where to send its champion is the Arizona Bowl, but there could be other possibilities based on what other bowls may change conference affiliations. Also, it could end up in the new Arizona State bowl, if created.

* American champ? The American is exploring the idea of having a bowl that annually hosts its conference champion, when it’s not in a New Year’s 6 game. Although the AAC currently does not have a tie-in with the Liberty, the league is intrigued about the possibility of sending its champion to Memphis, sources said. The Liberty is currently affiliated with the SEC and Big 12.

* What makes sense (so it will never happen): What if the Group of 5 designated that the four Group of 5 conference champions that didn’t advance to the New Year’s 6 bowl meet annually in two bowls each year? They could be paired based on highest rankings (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3) or geography.

They could involve current bowls that host Group of 5 games such as New Orleans, Gasparilla (Tampa), Mobile, Frisco or Arizona. It would guarantee those two bowls always featured two conference champions.

The NCAA is expected to officially announce any changes to the current bowl formats by July 1.

Good. These are just meaningless 13th games. It is no reward to make a bowl game. Everyone does. Its simply an embarrassment and a punishment if you dont make one.

To reference Chris Rock's joke about people bragging about never having been in prison "you're supposed to go to a bowl you dumb mother******" Its nothing to be proud of. You are supposed to be able to beat an FCS team, 1-2 G5 teams and 2-3 P5 teams.

multiple people in these threads are saying play cupcakes, get to 9 wins, no one cares how you get them. it's in there, many (NOT ALL) people saying that. you cant find it even with me providing a link, that's on you.

but you keep up with your point.
Nobody said play four cupcakes and no P5 OOC.
I'll say get the 4 easiest wins you can. No one does care how a 9 win team gets there, but they do care if you are 9-3 vs. 7-5.

That is completely different than people being disinterested in bowl games matching bad team vs. bad team after the season is over.

I'll say get the 4 easiest wins you can. No one does care how a 9 win team gets there, but they do care if you are 9-3 vs. 7-5.

That is completely different than people being disinterested in bowl games matching bad team vs. bad team after the season is over.
wait a minute, you guys call me out saying no one is saying play 4 cupcakes. then 2 posts later, you post "I'll say get the 4 easiest wins you can. No one does care how a 9 win team gets there, but they do care if you are 9-3 vs. 7-5."

Im confused. you guys say im making up an argument then one hour later, make the exact same statement I accused you guys of making.

Jrip just said it, he literally posted this exact point. it's in this thread. I gave you links of multiple pitt fans saying precisely this.

ND, WVU, or PSU
1AA
G5
G5

The only reason to substitute a G5 for a P5 is if it is a blue blood who will sell tickets like Ohio State, Mich, Texas, USC, etc. Inotherwords, not OKST, Mich St, or Wisky

Jrip just said it, he literally posted this exact point. it's in this thread. I gave you links of multiple pitt fans saying precisely this.

ND, WVU, or PSU
1AA
G5
G5

The only reason to substitute a G5 for a P5 is if it is a blue blood who will sell tickets like Ohio State, Mich, Texas, USC, etc. Inotherwords, not OKST, Mich St, or Wisky

Reactions: Jpripper88
it's exhausting? Watching college football on tv is exhausting?

The same people complaining about these bowl games are the ones saying we should schedule more MAC caliber games and more d1-aa games. Playing a bowl eligible P5 team in late December is boring but playing new Hampshire in September is great fun, lol.

you know you don't have to watch every game during "bowl season." You can just watch a game or two, or none at all. Or you can watch a game and if it gets too "exhausting" then you can use that remote control thingy and change the channel until you regain your energy during this exhaustive experience. I think, not 100% sure yet but I think you may even have the ability to get up off the couch and do something else during bowl season.

you guys are all lunatics, every one of you.

Not me, I think Pitt should schedule 12 ACC games and use scrimages against rmu and duq to prepare for the season.

Reactions: Swervin27
wait a minute, you guys call me out saying no one is saying play 4 cupcakes. then 2 posts later, you post "I'll say get the 4 easiest wins you can. No one does care how a 9 win team gets there, but they do care if you are 9-3 vs. 7-5."

Im confused. you guys say im making up an argument then one hour later, make the exact same statement I accused you guys of making.
I never called you out on that. However, Pitt can't do what you said people are arguing and schedule 4 non-D1 games because they have to play ND on a rotation and at least 1 P5 opponent every year OOC. However, they should schedule that in the way that makes it the easiest 4 wins as possible. Then you said these posters are saying playing a "bowl eligible B1G team in December is boring".

The difference here is that the subjects are completely different. People are advocating for Pitt to schedule so they can build their program. That has to happen via winning football games. The easiest way to do that? Play teams Pitt should almost assuredly beat. Playing OkState and Iowa and UCF doesn't sell tickets, make it easier to win games, or improve perception. In most cases it does the opposite for each of those areas. In terms of yawning at more bowl games, it is mostly in relation to adding more bowl games between awful teams AFTER the season has been played. There is literally no point to the games and the teams you are rewarding are actually G5 and 5-7 teams, not a decent ACC or B1G team.

So, in summary, no one is saying "play 4 cupcakes" and I am not either. Why? Because Pitt literally cannot do that. However, Pitt's scheduling discussion is completely unrelated to people seeing little to no value in adding more avenues for G5 and 5-7 teams to play in bowls no one cares about. They aren't remotely similar.

^^That

I never did say it. He doesn't understand this discussion or the difference.

I was letting him feel like he accomplished something. Maybe the argument is that crummy recruiting and 5-7 records are okay because Pitt will get to go play Indiana in whatever they call it bowl in Chicago someday.

And we thought playing the MAC champ in Detroit was bad. Pfffft.

I was letting him feel like he accomplished something. Maybe the argument is that crummy recruiting and 5-7 records are okay because Pitt will get to go play Indiana in whatever they call it bowl in Chicago someday.

And we thought playing the MAC champ in Detroit was bad. Pfffft.
you think we'll get better recruits if we play more MAC teams and more D1-AA teams? you really think that? how do I even take such an argument serious?

no one is happy with 5-7 but your suggestion is to put lipstick on a pig. we need to fix the issue, not cover it up with a mickey mouse schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT