ADVERTISEMENT

Names that have been thrown out so far for OC

If both parties were interested their would already be parameters for a deal,to be honest we don't even know if PN even had serious discussions or even discussions with anyone at all as of yet

Reactions: TD_istheman
not crazy. but let me ask you a question, why do you think its napier? this goes for anyone else as well. reason for asking, and i was going to make a post about this so i'll put it here. there was one person on these boards who created a napier to pitt thread, i've not read that anywhere else. like in the past, a thread is created and posters run with it. there was napier talk last year as well.

recruiting is down to crunch time, time is of the essence when it comes to recruiting. this is a huge recruiting weekend. if it was napier, they would have hammered out that deal and had napier in town for this big recruiting weekend. its a huge "in person" recruiting weekend.

i guess its possible for a poster on this board to have inside info but is it likely? especially since were dealing with pitt and how they like to keep everything hush hush. the sites we check for coaching hires has not listed one single name as to who might be a candidate.

i mentioned before, not sure he has the experience narduzzi is looking for. not my opinion, just saying what i think narduzzi is thinking. he's hired two OC's and they've both had tons of game calling experience. now, if he starts getting some no's. then he might have to loosen up his criteria.

lets just hope this doesn't drag on and in the end, narduzzi finds his "matt house".

Am I the only who thinks it can still be Napier, but it's taking extra because of being in the NC game?

I'm thinking the plan was to talk him at the AFCA, but he had to wait a couple days. Now they are ironing out contract stuff before making any sort of announcement.

Am I crazy?

Reactions: TD_istheman
not crazy. but let me ask you a question, why do you think its napier? this goes for anyone else as well. reason for asking, and i was going to make a post about this so i'll put it here. there was one person on these boards who created a napier to pitt thread, i've not read that anywhere else. like in the past, a thread is created and posters run with it. there was napier talk last year as well.

recruiting is down to crunch time, time is of the essence when it comes to recruiting. this is a huge recruiting weekend. if it was napier, they would have hammered out that deal and had napier in town for this big recruiting weekend. its a huge "in person" recruiting weekend.

i guess its possible for a poster on this board to have inside info but is it likely? especially since were dealing with pitt and how they like to keep everything hush hush. the sites we check for coaching hires has not listed one single name as to who might be a candidate.

i mentioned before, not sure he has the experience narduzzi is looking for. not my opinion, just saying what i think narduzzi is thinking. he's hired two OC's and they've both had tons of game calling experience. now, if he starts getting some no's. then he might have to loosen up his criteria.

lets just hope this doesn't drag on and in the end, narduzzi finds his "matt house".

I read somewhere and not just here, he just started following Duzz and our DC on twitter.

So, are you saying , Pitt is not really offering 1 million a year , only did that to save face with Canada, cause for a million , you could have a sure fire hire

I'm thinking strictly timeline. It would make sense to me that Narduzzi didn't get a chance to talk to him until maybe Tuesday( and allowed him to stay focused on the game). I'm also thinking that if he is the guy, then it will take upwards of a week to get the details completely out of the way. With this all being behind the scenes and before any public announcements. In other words, we might not hear anything until next week.

If he is the guy he's going on a west coast recruiting trip for the next week for the tide so we might have to wait till after NSD for Napier

While we're waiting.......

The Cal OC who didn't get the Cal HC job didn't waste any time, he's the new OC for WVU. They also hired a OL coach today. Those two and Dana coached together at Okie state.

Walt's almost 70. Add to that, Walt hated to run the ball. Hell with the ball on the one yard line, Walt preferred to throw a fade pattern. I don't see his philosophy meshing with Narduzzi's. Walt's not a viable candidate.

I get your point, but I remember Barlow running wild a few times, and Polite scoring with time running out to beat VT. Walt was a terrific offensive mind and a good HC. I don't think Duzz would consider him, but he did much for Pitt and he certainly has had success with offenses and QBs.

Reactions: Delpanther
I get your point, but I remember Barlow running wild a few times, and Polite scoring with time running out to beat VT. Walt was a terrific offensive mind and a good HC. I don't think Duzz would consider him, but he did much for Pitt and he certainly has had success with offenses and QBs.
In fact, if you look at Walt's last four seasons at Pitt (2001 - 2004) the team's Run to Pass Ratio based on season totals was (52.7% / 47.3%), (59.5% / 40.5%), (52.4% / 47.6%), and (51.6% / 48.4%), respectively. Total season rushing yards vs. passing yards in those years were (1,358 / 2,434), (1,861 / 2,796), (1,537 / 3,746), and (1,198 / 3,121), respectively. In each of those years, Pitt ran more than it passed, despite the pass being significantly more productive. Clearly Walt didn't have an aversion to running the ball. If anything, he may have run too much. Given Pitt's stable of running backs, I think he would be inclined to run quite a bit.

I read somewhere and not just here, he just started following Duzz and our DC on twitter.
Napier follows a lot of coaches. He also coached with Conklin in 2005 and they both coached in the state of South Carolina for about a decade.

Don't think it means he is coming here as OC.

Yeah and I've posted it before, I don't believe Napier is the guy. If he was, it should have been done already. Last year, Kirby smart was the hot name. UGA named him head coach 12/6. Not January after the bowl game. They want to win, they didn't f around.

If we were going to hire a WR coach as our OC, it would have been worked out prior to the NC game. He would still coach in their bowl game but the deal would have been worked out ahead of time. For teams that want to win, there is to much to lose in recruiting by sitting around wasting time. It's not by accident that coaches like to have their hires done prior to recruiting fully opening back up. Recruiting is so competitive, you need all hands on deck, never mind currently be down one staff member already.

Yeah well Pitt doesn't operate like that hate to break it to you,Pitt takes their time to make sure everything is right before they make a move,hate it or not it won't change

Ol coach at Florida was on his way out was supposedly going to be replaced by Christobal but that didn't happen. The OC was passed over for the HC job at Cal so he went back to WVU no big deal everybody knows Holgy is his own OC.

Christobal was rumored to Oregon all along, not Florida. The Oregon job also came with a title bump. Christobal is a south Florida guy, he followed the job to Oregon, cause it wasn't available in Florida. Locksley was the Bama assistant that was rumored to Florida, now Saban might keep him.

Out of all the names discussed in this thread the only one who even begins to make me feel comfortable is Alex Van Pelt. He's a Pitt guy who I think would just be a solid hire. I can't say I know a lot about him in terms of style of offense but if his name is being thrown around I doubt it's because he runs the spread haha.

He doesn't have a degree. He can't work at PITT.

You honestly think he picks any of his staff members?the head man up stare does all the work and hires who he wants not PC

Sorry vegas Christobal was the first choice at Fl but Macilwain wouldn't make him co-oc and that was the only reason he left Alabama in the first place he wanted to be an OC
Locksley has other options on the table he may decide to stay at Alabama but he is considering other options.

I think you can get someone for a million, but I don't think we throw that around willy nilly. I might try to cap someone like Napier at 750K, but might offer 600K as the starting rate. There are far more variables, but I'm spitballing.

We're not going to be spending 1M on this OC hire. You know how many 1M OC's there were in college football this year? One OC in the entire country. One single guy. It would be great, would have many to pick from.

But the way these salaries are going up in rapid fashion, it won't be long for the 1M for OC will be more common.

I think you can get someone for a million, but I don't think we throw that around willy nilly. I might try to cap someone like Napier at 750K, but might offer 600K as the starting rate. There are far more variables, but I'm spitballing.

Reactions: Jpripper88
While we're waiting.......

Dykes was fired from cal, not out of work very long....going to TCU to work under Pattterson.

I think it's OK. He has coached on the offensive side of the ball his entire career and has significant HC experience. I think the two combined are more than enough. What kind of a recruiter was he at Tennessee? He is certainly a big name. He is still relatively young, maybe he would see this as his road back to another college HC job.

While we're waiting......

Bama swipes zona's AD. Byrne is pretty well respected in the business. If I'm not mistaken he was offered the florida job.

Do you Napier guys still think it's Napier? How about you Enos guys?

First, someone starts a thread saying Napier is the guy. Then someone says that Napier started following our coaches.

Then, someone says that we made a HUGE offer for Enos.

Bottom line, nobody knows nothing.

Probably a RB leaving,that's probably why we offered another RB who we got a crystoball pick for

While we're waiting......

For you chip Kelly fans, last week he interviewed for the Jax HC job. Today's he's interviewing for the Jax OC job.

While we're waiting....

Wilcox the new coach at Cal has hired beau Baldwin eastern wash. HC to be his new OC.

While we're waiting....

Wilcox the new coach at Cal has hired beau Baldwin eastern wash. HC to be his new OC.
I both love and hate your "while we are waiting" posts...for college football wonks, they're just interesting (ergo, the love) , and damming proof (yet again) that so many programs are maddeningly so much more dynamic than ours (ergo, the hate). But much like distasteful medicine to strengthen a sick body, sometimes you need to be confronted painful facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT