ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi Says No Thanks to Kwantel Raines

Pretty much expected given the current roster situation.

It is his program. He is free to do what he wants in regards to individual players. I would have been fine taking him if Narduzzi thought he could help.

But I also think the criticism that I have read to this point about Pitt passing on him is absurd. Why should Pitt automatically be a fall back option for local kids who originally spurned them for another school originally. While kids certainly are free to choose whoever they want, Pitt should be free to then move on. The criticism is absurd.

In saying all that, the on field production better start improving real quick for Narduzzi. It simply hasn't been good enough to this point.

I dont agree with the "your dead to me" logic applied to WPIAL players who spurned Pitt out of HS. I would have taken Wade and Raines. This program needs as much talent as it can assemble. Maybe Raines had some character issues but Wade is a great kid and a really smart kid. His social media game may rub people the wrong way but he woulda been a good fit here. Heck, if rumors are true about needing to be close to home for family reasons, I would take him now if he grad transfers. He had a good season on a Top 10 team and would start at S for Hamlin or Ford (if he leaves)

Reactions: cpc247
Totally agree with thanks but no thanks.
Raines could barely get on the field for the mountainqueers.
Why waste a ship for him to sit on the bench for a year and only play one year.
Questions: one does he have the brains to get into Pitt.
Can he learn the new position.
Can he beat out our recruits.
All for a one year player.

I dont agree with the "your dead to me" logic applied to WPIAL players who spurned Pitt out of HS. I would have taken Wade and Raines. This program needs as much talent as it can assemble. Maybe Raines had some character issues but Wade is a great kid and a really smart kid. His social media game may rub people the wrong way but he woulda been a good fit here. Heck, if rumors are true about needing to be close to home for family reasons, I would take him now if he grad transfers. He had a good season on a Top 10 team and would start at S for Hamlin or Ford (if he leaves)

If Raines and Wade were not from the WPIAL, we wouldn’t even be talking about this... Both players have been mediocre so far. So we have a mediocre program with mediocre fans, wanting to bring in more mediocre players...

Another unbelievably stupid move by Narduzzi. What an arrogant, egocentric piece of crap.

Hamlin is gone, Dane Jackson is gone, Ford is exploring leaving, and Coleman is transferring.

There is zero reason to not take a flyer on Raines, but he can’t get out of the way of his own ego.

If Raines and Wade were not from the WPIAL, we wouldn’t even be talking about this... Both players have been mediocre so far. So we have a mediocre program with mediocre fans, wanting to bring in more mediocre players...
He was a freshman...remember that people thought ford was a bust till this year. I can’t believe what an idiot Narduzzi is.

I wonder if players think Petrishen starting at safety spelled it out for Coleman. He would not start at CB but could have moved to safety. Just an idea

Lamont Wade had a very good year as a full time starter at safety on a very good defense.

Another unbelievably stupid move by Narduzzi. What an arrogant, egocentric piece of crap.

Hamlin is gone, Dane Jackson is gone, Ford is exploring leaving, and Coleman is transferring.

There is zero reason to not take a flyer on Raines, but he can’t get out of the way of his own ego.
It has been posted all over the place that Narduzzi wanted Raines to play LB. He doesn't think that Raines can play DB. Apparently WVU felt the same since he couldn't get on the field with them.

I support Narduzzi in this. Unless a player can clearly and immediately start for our team, I don't think we should be taking players that initially spurned us as transfers . Especially regular transfers that need to sit out a year.

As other posters have said, it also seems like Raines wants to transfer as a safety, but Pitt was always recruiting him as a linebacker.

I wonder if players think Petrishen starting at safety spelled it out for Coleman. He would not start at CB but could have moved to safety. Just an idea

I forgot about Petrishen. Why would he take Petrishen but not Wade when Wade is very clearly the better player as Petrishen couldn't sniff the field at PSU while Wade had a good year as a starter.

If the kid doesn't have major issues Narduzzi should consider him.

Think of this from a business perspective.

A big customer tells your company to go f themselves and chooses a competitor.
A few years later they come to you and want to be a customer.

No company would decline that business.

Same here if he can help the program win games come on in.
If not - No Thanks. His value to the program is the bottom line.

Reactions: H2P 2003
JP was hurt and not able to play + maybe the coaching staff felt he was a better fit. Wade played better than I thought he could last season and deserves credit for tucking his tail between his legs and sticking it out at crappy valley

I forgot about Petrishen. Why would he take Petrishen but not Wade when Wade is very clearly the better player as Petrishen couldn't sniff the field at PSU while Wade had a good year as a starter.

I certainly don’t know the reason he’s been turned away. But if it’s solely because Raines didn’t come to Pitt originally then Narduzzi’s a fool.
Given he passed on wade as well, I have to think that is the reason. With the amount of DB’s that may be going away next year I would have taken him and wade. Even if Raines was willing to move to LB I would have taken a flyer there.

Raines you can explain at least a bit...you can’t explain wade.

you do realize that Raines is not a defensive back, don't you?

Given he passed on wade as well, I have to think that is the reason. With the amount of DB’s that may be going away next year I would have taken him and wade. Even if Raines was willing to move to LB I would have taken a flyer there.

Raines you can explain at least a bit...you can’t explain wade.

where was it ever said we passed on Wade? Did Wade ever truly want to leave and ask to come here? Your act is getting old.

terrible take man, absolutely terrible. he isn't eligible to play til '21, he's an olb. take a "flyer" or use a ship for a marginal player who may or may not help the program in 2 years are two entirely different things..

Lamont Wade had a very good year as a full time starter at safety on a very good defense.

The secondary that Minnesota torched over and over again? Looked like OSU or UNC against Pitt a few years ago. Nothing against Wade (he's been great) but let's face it, that secondary cost the Nits badly when it mattered.

if petrishen is our starting safety next year, we are in serious trouble. special teams cast off from psu comes in and starts in pitt's secondary? That would be a disgrace to Narduzzi's program, flat out embarrassing..

I guess if there were about four or five injuries, it could happen.
im as worried about our S depth as anyone, especially if Ford leaves.. we are gonna have to roll the dice with some redshirt freshmen and probably true freshmen and i guess that's ok but we aren't that desperate that we need to go this route..

i trust Narduzzi with DBs though so i cant imagine we'd do this. it would be a hell of an indictment on our DB depth though.. lets hope it doesn't happen.

Reactions: pittdan77
im as worried about our S depth as anyone, especially if Ford leaves.. we are gonna have to roll the dice with some redshirt freshmen and probably true freshmen and i guess that's ok but we aren't that desperate that we need to go this route..

i trust Narduzzi with DBs though so i cant imagine we'd do this. it would be a hell of an indictment on our DB depth though.. lets hope it doesn't happen.

I feel like a school with a top 20 defense can sort it out and evaluate talent. A lot of the pass defense is predicated on QB pressure. That makes up for a lot of sin in press coverage. Raines isn't going to make the DB's better. LB? I'd take that shot.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The secondary that Minnesota torched over and over again? Looked like OSU or UNC against Pitt a few years ago. Nothing against Wade (he's been great) but let's face it, that secondary cost the Nits badly when it mattered.

To Wade's credit, he was able able to hold off Brisker and win the starting job. Thought that was a done deal given that Brisker is a Gateway product and most likely played a part in Wade entering the portal in the first place. But you're right, coverage skills aren't that great. Nice tackler, but Wade was torched for the winning TD by OSU.

Reactions: pittdan77
To Wade's credit, he was able able to hold off Brisker and win the starting job. Thought that was a done deal given that Brisker is a Gateway product and most likely played a part in Wade entering the portal in the first place. But you're right, coverage skills aren't that great. Nice tackler, but Wade was torched for the winning TD by OSU.
And Paris Ford couldn't tackle (and barely even slowed down) AJ Dillon on a play that accounted for a 2nd half 60+ yard touchdown -- and 7 points just so happened to be the margin by which Pitt lost to BC. Even great players don't make every single play. Bottom line is that Wade had a good season. I'd prefer Ford over him, but I'd certainly take Wade.

And Paris Ford couldn't tackle (and barely even slowed down) AJ Dillon on a play that accounted for a 2nd half 60+ yard touchdown -- and 7 points just so happened to be the margin by which Pitt lost to BC. Even great players don't make every single play. Bottom line is that Wade had a good season. I'd prefer Ford over him, but I'd certainly take Wade.

what does Ford have to do with my comment? The example I gave wasn't the 1st time Wade has struggled in coverage. I never said Wade wasn't good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT