ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

USAF Phantom

Scholarship
Sep 22, 2016
I continue to watch the big fella Burns, backing into the defender, and displacing him. i don’t understand how that is within the rules? last night I think the referees were sort of miffed by this tactic, but let it roll. can anyone explain this?

Been saying this for years. Shaq made a career out of it. Evidently, you're allowed to do whatever the hell you want, with few exceptions, in basketball as long as you're moving backwards.

Sometimes they'll get you if you lower the shoulder or hook an arm underneath. But as long as it's your wide ass you're using as a lethal weapon, go ahead and push the defender into the 5th row.

It's funny, because most of the outrage I've seen on these broadcasts is that they're not calling the foul on the defense.

I continue to watch the big fella Burns, backing into the defender, and displacing him. i don’t understand how that is within the rules? last night I think the referees were sort of miffed by this tactic, but let it roll. can anyone explain this?
It is not just him backing in, which is horribly bad as it creates an advantage. But he also uses his off-arm to bang and push the defender away to create more space to back into. If refs called the game right, he would be fouled out after his 5 possessions.

Reactions: JRPITT
I dont understand the rule on this. I've never seen a charge called in my life unless the defender flopped but what Burns is doing definitely seems like a charge. I was at their game vs UVa last week and the UVa guy sitting next to me was getting so frustrated and saying to the ref "do you want him to flop?" I guess that's the only defense you can play. Wait for the right moment and flop.

BTW, the Yinzer neutrals LOVED DJB. Pretty sure I've never seen a neutral crowd ever react to 1 player like this crowd reacted every time he touched it. In the 2nd Half, when he touched it, the crowd began cheering, some rose to their feet, guys in North Hills shirts high-fiving. It was pure excitement.

I dont understand the rule on this. I've never seen a charge called in my life unless the defender flopped but what Burns is doing definitely seems like a charge. I was at their game vs UVa last week and the UVa guy sitting next to me was getting so frustrated and saying to the ref "do you want him to flop?" I guess that's the only defense you can play. Wait for the right moment and flop.

BTW, the Yinzer neutrals LOVED DJB. Pretty sure I've never seen a neutral crowd ever react to 1 player like this crowd reacted every time he touched it. In the 2nd Half, when he touched it, the crowd began cheering, some rose to their feet, guys in North Hills shirts high-fiving. It was pure excitement.

He's the new Tractor Traylor.

People were digging Tacko Fall, too. You can take the freak shows away from the people, but...

Been saying this for years. Shaq made a career out of it. Evidently, you're allowed to do whatever the hell you want, with few exceptions, in basketball as long as you're moving backwards.

Sometimes they'll get you if you lower the shoulder or hook an arm underneath. But as long as it's your wide ass you're using as a lethal weapon, go ahead and push the defender into the 5th row.

It's funny, because most of the outrage I've seen on these broadcasts is that they're not calling the foul on the defense.
My Dad used to say this Shaq would foul with his ass. lol

He wasn’t wrong really

Reactions: Farnox
My Dad used to say this Shaw would foul with his ass. lol

He wasn’t wrong really

It's insane to me how it's just commonly accepted. You can't graze someone's thumb if they're shooting a three, but then it's a Roman gladiator contest as long as the dude with the ball has his back turned to the hoop.

kind of accentuated even more when you are a fan of a team that has 5's coming in at an average weight of 142 lbs...

All this said, I hope NC State wins it all. Aside from being my wolf brethren, they're fun to watch and beneficial to the ACC's perception. It's also cool to say we were the last team to beat them. Looks like they should at least advance another game.

So frustrating seeing NC State continue to win when not even 2 weeks ago the last time they were in Pittsburgh when Pitt beat them in that final regular season game they were pretty much dead in the water. Who would have thought 2 weeks later on a Saturday night they would be playing in Pittsburgh again against of all teams Oakland with a chance to get to the Sweet 16.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
All this said, I hope NC State wins it all. Aside from being my wolf brethren, they're fun to watch and beneficial to the ACC's perception. It's also cool to say we were the last team to beat them. Looks like they should at least advance another game.
Reminds me of Pitt dumping Villanova their last loss before they won the National Championship

Reminds me of Pitt dumping Villanova their last loss before they won the National Championship
thinking the almost the exact same thing (Not to be a Clavin, but it was not their last loss though as they lost in the Big East tournament--Georgetown dominating the BE tournament was one of the reasons for the David vs Goliath scenario later on)....absolutely smoked them. I always credited that loss with putting their minds in order to make their run...

Last edited:
It seems like if a 250 lb defender flops, Burns will occasionally get called for a charge. Like he must have hit the guy really hard to knock him over. But if sends a 205 lb defender flying it won't be called because the defender was just too scrawny to be guarding him. If anything, the skinny guy gets called for a foul because he brought his arms down. As if anyone can keep the arms vertical while having someone who outweighs them by 70 lbs slamming into their midsection.

It's insane to me how it's just commonly accepted. You can't graze someone's thumb if they're shooting a three, but then it's a Roman gladiator contest as long as the dude with the ball has his back turned to the hoop.

Grazing someone's thumb? Heck, I'll take that over the 3 point shooter flopping after 1 square inch of their foot makes contact with 1 square inch of the defenders foot on landing. These 3 point shooters look like they are being hit with sniper fire. They need to clean this up. If you fall, it needs to be reviewed.

Grazing someone's thumb? Heck, I'll take that over the 3 point shooter flopping after 1 square inch of their foot makes contact with 1 square inch of the defenders foot on landing. These 3 point shooters look like they are being hit with sniper fire. They need to clean this up. If you fall, it needs to be reviewed.

My interest in the NBA started to dwindle when the hand check rule was taken away.

People seriously dont understand how this simple change helped to explode scoring and increase the amount of possessions per game in the NBA while completely taking out physicality to where players would wear down in games which resulted in worse shooting numbers.

Just look at what some of the players like Carmelo Anthony or Kobe Bryant did before and after the change.

People would be amazed to watch a prime Michael Jordan average 50 per game in his sleep in todays NBA.

All these sports leagues want is more offense.

The MLB spiked the baseballs.

The NHL put the springboards in all the rinks.

The NBA with the hand check rule and other rule changes to promote scoring.

The NFL which I cant stand is nothing but a flag fest. Back in the 70s through 90s you could smash a QB. Today, you get a penalty thrown if a defensive player coughs next to a QB. I pretty much dont like football anyway.

The point guard from Duquesne could have won an Oscar yesterday. At the faintest sign of contact, he was contorting his body back and forth like one of those slow motion scenes in a movie when the protagonist starts taking some bullets and you know that's probably going to be it for him.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
NC State and a couple of other schools are the defining reason why you should expand the tourney. Keep the AQs as is but expanding allows you to select other teams from all of the conferences. I think people are nuts saying it would hurt the small guy. It actually would give them more opportunity.

And you would still get the Oaklands taking down the Kentuckys of the world. Basketball is different than football. You never know on a given day and who will be there. But I bet you could probably accurately pick the first three teams in the CFP right now.

People like DJB for a lot of reasons. Most won’t admit but it’s unique seeing a “fat” guy do what he does. His personality and how he always has a smile on his face, makes him even more likable to ppl.

He’s really light on his feet and has incredible vision if you double. You hardly see bigs with his passing skills these days. Even if he didn’t have the great weight/power advantage, he has incredible footwork in the post.

NC State and a couple of other schools are the defining reason why you should expand the tourney. Keep the AQs as is but expanding allows you to select other teams from all of the conferences. I think people are nuts saying it would hurt the small guy. It actually would give them more opportunity.

And you would still get the Oaklands taking down the Kentuckys of the world. Basketball is different than football. You never know on a given day and who will be there. But I bet you could probably accurately pick the first three teams in the CFP right now.
nope...the chance you get to get in with a mediocre record is in your conference tourney. that is your shot...there has been one team seeded lower than 4 in the last 35 years to win the thing and you want to add more lousy teams to the mix? More opportunity to do what? Surely not win it all...

People like DJB for a lot of reasons. Most won’t admit but it’s unique seeing a “fat” guy do what he does. His personality and how he always has a smile on his face, makes him even more likable to ppl.

He’s really light on his feet and has incredible vision if you double. You hardly see bigs with his passing skills these days. Even if he didn’t have the great weight/power advantage, he has incredible footwork in the post.
He has a lot of talent. He has soft hands, can shoot well, and has great vision to pass well. He also has good footwork. But I wouldn't describe as light on his feet as his vertical seemed to about 6 inches at best.

He has a lot of talent. He has soft hands, can shoot well, and has great vision to pass well. He also has good footwork. But I wouldn't describe as light on his feet as his vertical seemed to about 6 inches at best.
Maybe I described that wrong as far a light on his feet… he clearly can’t jump. I meant his quickness for a guy so big. As you said he has no vertical and the reason he hardly ever gets blocked because besides power he has really good footwork. Some of the spin moves he made from the mid post and getting to the other side of the rim to use the rim to help vs shot blockers.

Reactions: NCPitt
nope...the chance you get to get in with a mediocre record is in your conference tourney. that is your shot...there has been one team seeded lower than 4 in the last 35 years to win the thing and you want to add more lousy teams to the mix? More opportunity to do what? Surely not win it all...
More opportunity to see games where a lower seed upsets a better seed. More opportunity for a team like NC State or Pitt to hit on a run to a 16 or even better.

It’s pretty clear that the committee isnt doing a great job with selection and seeding with tourney champs who would never be selected making great runs and power conferences getting busted by lower teams. So, make it an open. See who comes out on top.

There is nothing more fun than watching a weekend league soccer team beat a championship team in the FA cup. Or seeing a US Open or The Open qualified have a couple of nice days when he isnt even on the tour. That’s all these big upsets are. So why not expand it and see more? People say if you expand it you won’t see the Oaklands? Why not? Make the expansions such that you recognize that you are missing some good high major teams and some mid major teams.

All I kept thinking when I saw the Oakland dude draining threes was what if that was Blake. How fun would that be?

My Dad used to say this Shaq would foul with his ass. lol

He wasn’t wrong really
The hardest thing to referee in all of sports that I can recall is when Shaq would play Vlade Divac. Shaq would charge constantly, Vlade would flop constantly, and were in these constant no win situations.

Of course some of those guys were on the take anyway.

Bid stealers NC State and Oregon and even Duquesne were legit better than those 6 seeds. Again, I don't think we need to get crazy and a full extra round but I do think they should add 4 more teams and push the tournament back a day so people have to pick those games which will make them feel like the real NCAA Tournament.

For entertainment and to create more interest with more fanbases. Im not watching 8/9 games thinking "these teams cant win the National Championship so Im not wasting my time." The NCAAT is a great event and great entertainment. The bigger, the better, within reason. No to 128. No to 96. But somewhere between 68 and 92.

68 is fine. 72 is fine. But beyond that, you're letting in 9-11 in conference teams, or making it so we have multiple bids from what are really one bid conferences all the time.

I agree with those saying it's no different than what Shaq did, so it's been in basketball going back decades.

The secret to beating a guy like Burns is to run him out of the gym. I guarantee you he would come in last among all players in the NCAA tournament in a suicide race. The other team's 5 needs to be sprinting up and down the court every time.

I agree with those saying it's no different than what Shaq did, so it's been in basketball going back decades.

The secret to beating a guy like Burns is to run him out of the gym. I guarantee you he would come in last among all players in the NCAA tournament in a suicide race. The other team's 5 needs to be sprinting up and down the court every time.
Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7i7vDVj0V8

Zack Austin threw dahn a windmill. And Pitt led an overmatched NC State team by 17.

From that point on, they made that game somewhat respectable. From there, they won 5 ACC games, an NCAA game, and are looking good for the sweet 16.

Not sure I’ve seen anything quite like it.

Zack Austin threw dahn a windmill. And Pitt led an overmatched NC State team by 17.

From that point on, they made that game somewhat respectable. From there, they won 5 ACC games, an NCAA game, and are looking good for the sweet 16.

Not sure I’ve seen anything quite like it.
NC State had really put themselves behind the 8 ball by the end of January as far as making the tournament. They are mostly juniors and seniors and I think they sort of mailed it in down the stretch, losing 7 of their last 9. Other than pride, and maybe Keatts job, there was really nothing to play for. The ACC tourney was their last lease on life.

I thought NCSU, Pitt, UVA, and BC all brought their A game and played like their tourney hopes depended on the ACC Tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT