ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Jeff Capel, AD Lyke, the Search & Other Dribbles ...

I wonder if we will ever get the whole story. I wonder if she had Capel in her sights from the start or if it was a tremendous pivot. But she never really tipped her hand.

You know what? I'm going to believe that Lyke had Capel in her sights from the start and just didn't tip her hand. She put up smokescreens with Oats, Schmidt, Scheyer, and the latest flavor of the day, none of whom were even interviewed. Possibly our search firm did some vetting through their agents, and their agents threw out that they were being considered for the Pitt job and maybe even said they had interviews. LOL! All along, Lyke knew what she was doing. Masterfully. She certainly deserves all of the credit for getting something done at Pitt that has never been done before.

This is certainly a refreshing change from the incompetence of the former AD.

** A few days ago, a friend texted me and asked why I had gone so quiet about the coaching search. Even a few posters direct messaged me asking me much the same question.

** The answer is that I had become discouraged. Even more than that, I had grown tired.

** I was tired of the rumors, tired of the conjecture, tired of the disappointment.

** Mostly I was tired of the notion that “no one wants to come here.”

** We Pitt fans have gotten a little too used to the notion of top players not wanting to come here over the past five years. But this idea had spilled over that notion to coaches too.

** I’ll readily confess that I had seriously begun to doubt Ms. Lyke was up to the task. I was worried our selection would drag on for another week or two, and would result in a totally unsatisfying end.

** My tired brain couldn’t really even think of a legit coaching target who would even come here. I was privately trying to convince myself that Brandin Knight might be OK.

** And I was totally exhausted thinking about what next season would look like with a substandard coaching selection trying to refill an already totally substandard roster. If we didn’t even win any games in the ACC last year, would we even win any games at all during the next?

** I’m not tired anymore.

** Someone wanted to come here. Someone really good. Someone I’m confident will be able to get many others to want to come here.

** So with this I offer my most sincere welcome to new Coach Jeff Capel.

** With that, allow me to offer an equally sincere congratulations to our AD. Quite frankly, when you start digging deeper, she probably just pulled off the most impressive major sport head coach hiring in the history of Pitt Athletics.

** Another confession I must make is when the news of new Coach Capel was first announced I was certainly pleased, but not overwhelmed. Maybe I was still waking up.

** Many have termed Jeff Capel as a “Home Run Hire.” For whatever reason, I’ve always sort of disdained this term. But I’ll play along and say even if he’s not quite a home run, he’s at least a sliding two-run triple.

** And considering how dismal our prospects looked even just 24 hours ago, in Pitt terms this might even be back-to-back Grand Slams (think about that!).

** I’m actually wondering why Jeff Capel wasn’t within our top targets from the outset (or perhaps he was?). He indeed checks every box that needs to be checked. He’s not perfect. His Sooner meltdown is an issue. But he’s likely as perfect as Pitt was ever going to get.

** I confess that I was quite excited by the idea of getting Danny Hurley. At the outset, he was the guy I thought was the home run.

** But someone I know who is quite connected to college hoops coaches shared with me his take on Hurely, before he made his UConn choice. He believed that Danny didn’t feel he was quite up to the task of recruiting at the level needed for the ACC. The entire conversation really had me leaning away from Danny and toward Sean Miller, as Miller already knew how to operate in that top recruiting realm. Soon after, neither would happen anyway. (It should be noted how superior Capel’s resume is to Hurley’s as well.)

** This is what is so exciting to me about Jeff Capel. Jeff Capel absolutely knows how to operate in the ACC recruiting realm, or any of the highest recruiting realms based on what he did at Oklahoma. He knows exactly what he’s signed up for – both recruiting against his Alma Mater and rebuilding a team he just defeated twice by an average of 31 points, without his Duke players getting the least bit tired.

** Yet somehow we got Jeff Capel to come here. Jeff Capel could have selected a number of other jobs in the next few years, not to mention the biggest of them all succeeding his greatest mentor.

** Despite my unmeasured excitement of Lyke’s almost magic act, let’s go back to the only disappointing note of the day. That is, the size of the rebuilding job HCJC has in front of him is still sizeable and it may take some almost heroic efforts on his part just to get the Panthers to the middle of the ACC pack in the span of 2-3 seasons. Despite Jeff’s recruiting abilities, I still don’t think it will be a simple job at first to get good players to come here.

** But I certainly hope the job of getting fans to return to the Pete will be much easier.

** Many fans have said they would stay away because the actions of the Pitt Administration have said they aren’t serious about being successful. I think the Pitt Administration spoke loud and clear today.

** Staring tomorrow, I hope Panther fans speak loud and clear as well. How about getting on the phone and renew (or restarting) your basketball season tickets and increasing your athletics donation?

** I know I’ve now got all the energy I need to do both things bright and early tomorrow. Like I said, I’m not tired anymore!

** Hail to New Coach Capel! Hail to AD Lyke!

** Hail to Pitt!
Nice to see the Dribbles come back.

Hopefully, before too long, I'll have reason to bring the Bubble Watch back.

You know what? I'm going to believe that Lyke had Capel in her sights from the start and just didn't tip her hand. She put up smokescreens with Oats, Schmidt, Scheyer, and the latest flavor of the day, none of whom were even interviewed. Possibly our search firm did some vetting through their agents, and their agents threw out that they were being considered for the Pitt job and maybe even said they had interviews. LOL! All along, Lyke knew what she was doing. Masterfully. She certainly deserves all of the credit for getting something done at Pitt that has never been done before.

You could throw a dart at a board from 100 yards and do a better job than the prior bozo did

Reactions: Pittguy93
If James Robinson isn't bumped by Mike Young, his shot goes in to beat Wisconsin and Dixon likely stays.
You think he's still here? I also wonder the sentiment on Dixon had we beat 'nova and/or Gil brown hits the free throw to beat butler, I think there's a good chance we're in the final four there too had we gotten by butler.

Needless to say throughout pitt history in football and basketball, many years the difference between good or mediocre and great has been a few unlucky bounces.

Reactions: Chaos
** A few days ago, a friend texted me and asked why I had gone so quiet about the coaching search. Even a few posters direct messaged me asking me much the same question.

** I’m actually wondering why Jeff Capel wasn’t within our top targets from the outset (or perhaps he was?). He indeed checks every box that needs to be checked. He’s not perfect. His Sooner meltdown is an issue. But he’s likely as perfect as Pitt was ever going to get.

** I confess that I was quite excited by the idea of getting Danny Hurley. At the outset, he was the guy I thought was the home run.

** But someone I know who is quite connected to college hoops coaches shared with me his take on Hurely, before he made his UConn choice. He believed that Danny didn’t feel he was quite up to the task of recruiting at the level needed for the ACC. The entire conversation really had me leaning away from Danny and toward Sean Miller, as Miller already knew how to operate in that top recruiting realm. Soon after, neither would happen anyway. (It should be noted how superior Capel’s resume is to Hurley’s as well.)

** This is what is so exciting to me about Jeff Capel. Jeff Capel absolutely knows how to operate in the ACC recruiting realm, or any of the highest recruiting realms based on what he did at Oklahoma. He knows exactly what he’s signed up for – both recruiting against his Alma Mater and rebuilding a team he just defeated twice by an average of 31 points, without his Duke players getting the least bit tired.

** Yet somehow we got Jeff Capel to come here. Jeff Capel could have selected a number of other jobs in the next few years, not to mention the biggest of them all succeeding his greatest mentor.

** Hail to Pitt!

I cut down your dribbles to a few. But I cut down some of them to focus on the above. Specifically the dribble I highlighted and underlined. LOL....that is the $25 million question I guess. I posted yesterday the exact same question via thread on the pay board yesterday. "How did we miss Capel"? Not just us as message board denizens, but the BB intelligentsia? As you said, when you start unpeeling this onion, Capel pretty much checks every box. Every important box. Age, Experience. Pedigree. Recruiting. ACC. Bloodlines. I mean he was Danny Hurley, only in essence, a more qualified Danny Hurley.

Fantastic. So much angst (by me also) on these boards, and I keep coming back with "all's well that end's well".

But even hearing Capel's name in passing, I still never gave it much thought. I don't get why people think Oats or Mussleman would be more of a "home run" hires. Or even Hurley. Or even Crean or Matta. Capel checks more boxes than anyone.

I am still floored by this hire. And all the congratulations and admiration for Ms. Lyke and her team. This was incredibly well played. As I texted some buddies yesterday, including finishing off the Stallings deal, this may have been the best day in Pitt sports since at least the ACC acceptance announcement.

Here's the thing about that though. No one other than Lyke and a few "confidantes" should have any idea how the search was going and who was being targeted. It does the search no good at all if any part of it is conducted in public. When people get pissed off that they are not being kept in the proverbial loop what they are really saying is that they think that they are more important than the program and getting the hire right. And of course that is nuts. Full on crazy.

I agree. I agree totally and was admonishing people for bashing Matt and even the local media on their lack of knowledge. In today's society we feel a sense of entitlement of always knowing things that serves no purpose. I truly believe that if the Sean Miller to Pitt stuff didn't start all over the place 2 years ago, he would have been hired here. I do know for a fact if Rich Rodriguez's discussions with Alabama weren't learned by the WV media and broadcasted that RichRod would have finalized a deal and left for Alabama a year before he left for Michigan.

So negotiating these types of deals in public really serves no benefits except for agents driving up prices.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Excellent dribbles. I got depressed reading sad DT this past year. The optimism has returned.

Someone tweeted Capel has been looking to leave Duke because ultimately when coach K retires they want an established coach. Jeff has been looking to leave for two years and was very interested in the pitt job 2 years ago, but Barnes never targeted him.

DT hit on this, but the recruiting footprint of Capel matches to a T, what we need for the ACC. I am really encouraged we are moving in the right direction .

Finally, I do not believe Lyke had Capel as her #1. But that is okay. I think landing Capel after almost 3 weeks speaks volumes about her abilities and the evaluation process. Rather than panicking she reset and came up with a fabulous candidate .

Reactions: HOF Coach
Excellent dribbles. I got depressed reading sad DT this past year. The optimism has returned.

Someone tweeted Capel has been looking to leave Duke because ultimately when coach K retires they want an established coach. Jeff has been looking to leave for two years and was very interested in the pitt job 2 years ago, but Barnes never targeted him.

DT hit on this, but the recruiting footprint of Capel matches to a T, what we need for the ACC. I am really encouraged we are moving in the right direction .

Finally, I do not believe Lyke had Capel as her #1. But that is okay. I think landing Capel after almost 3 weeks speaks volumes about her abilities and the evaluation process. Rather than panicking she reset and came up with a fabulous candidate .

That's it. As sports fans, "hope" is the best thing you can have. And as a Pitt BB fan, we lost all hope. Hope sometimes is even better than "satisfaction". For example, I am a huge Penguins fan. How great has it been for Pens fans? Two time defending champion, 3 Cups in 9 years, every year on the short list to contend, and this year, we aren't dominating and you tend to get critical. It is almost more fun as a fan to be a fan of a team that has its future in front of them, rather than being on top of the mountain and trying to maintain that spot.

But nothing, nothing as a fun is worse than hopelessness. Nothing. And that is where we were. And with one press release yesterday, this all changed for the better.

That's it. As sports fans, "hope" is the best thing you can have. And as a Pitt BB fan, we lost all hope. Hope sometimes is even better than "satisfaction". For example, I am a huge Penguins fan. How great has it been for Pens fans? Two time defending champion, 3 Cups in 9 years, every year on the short list to contend, and this year, we aren't dominating and you tend to get critical. It is almost more fun as a fan to be a fan of a team that has its future in front of them, rather than being on top of the mountain and trying to maintain that spot.

But nothing, nothing as a fun is worse than hopelessness. Nothing. And that is where we were. And with one press release yesterday, this all changed for the better.

You are correct. Stallings year 3. Imagine that....you are just counting days...going through the motions.

Capel...dont count out a .500 season next year. Hell can we make NIT? I doubt it, but there's always that belief that it could happen.

Reactions: rrig5 and Pittguy93
I can’t see anyone not being extremely pleased with this hire . Does it really matter where Capel was on her list , I think this was the best hire Pitt could’ve made . Pitt was never going to hire away a great coach from an equivalent school and coaches who became hot with one good tourament run aren’t worth the numbers that were being thrown around . A reasonably young assistant coach whose a former head coach recruiting the same footprint as Pitt ( much more successfully ! ) who could ask for anything more .
None of this guarantees his success at Pitt or if he’s successful how long he’ll be here if Coach K retires , but none of his matters today . What matters today is that Heather gave us all hope ! Well done !

I believe it was Matt who tweeted he heard there were 2 top candidates. 1a-1b. Hurley and Capel maybe? No I don’t think it was ever Miller.

It was Miller.
Interesting I would have never bet given the Miller family issues with Pitt he would have ever considered coming back. But if he had to swallow his pride given what appears to have gone down and reached out good for him.

I cut down your dribbles to a few. But I cut down some of them to focus on the above. Specifically the dribble I highlighted and underlined. LOL....that is the $25 million question I guess. I posted yesterday the exact same question via thread on the pay board yesterday. "How did we miss Capel"? Not just us as message board denizens, but the BB intelligentsia? As you said, when you start unpeeling this onion, Capel pretty much checks every box. Every important box. Age, Experience. Pedigree. Recruiting. ACC. Bloodlines. I mean he was Danny Hurley, only in essence, a more qualified Danny Hurley.

Fantastic. So much angst (by me also) on these boards, and I keep coming back with "all's well that end's well".

But even hearing Capel's name in passing, I still never gave it much thought. I don't get why people think Oats or Mussleman would be more of a "home run" hires. Or even Hurley. Or even Crean or Matta. Capel checks more boxes than anyone.

I am still floored by this hire. And all the congratulations and admiration for Ms. Lyke and her team. This was incredibly well played. As I texted some buddies yesterday, including finishing off the Stallings deal, this may have been the best day in Pitt sports since at least the ACC acceptance announcement.
I think that the main reason Capel was missed is because the media repeatedly referred to him as "Coach K's successor" or "Duke's coach in waiting" and then, whether consciously or unconsciously, he was dismissed as a candidate for any head coaching job. What job could possibly be better than one day being the head coach at Duke for Capel? No one would have honestly answered, "the PITT job".

The bubble watch was classic. The pictures of some of the teams cheerleaders were awesome. Let’s hope you get the chance to create this again

Excellent hire, Heather; me "lyke" it!

DT, good to read some positive "Dribbles" again.

And to echo others, maybe this hire will bring back my "Moe-Ments" posts, post-game. I've been (as most may have noticed) on hiatus, for several reasons, not the least of which included having to watch a brand of Pitt BB, for which I was not happy.

HTP!

It never bothered me what people said.
The hire mattered most-
Not the timeliness of the hire.

Well the original comment was something to the effect of did Lyke have this hire planned all along. My opinion was... no, as otherwise you wouldn't let your reputation and the schools reputation be dragged through mud, offer / talk to other candidates. My other point was the 990 will show if she had to pay the premium to correct initial misteps. Time will tell.

Not sure what's so dramatic about that. Whether it bothered you or not, Pitt was a punching bag in media for weeks, and if given opportunity, I'd like to think someone would have avoided that if they had this great masterplan from start. It's all irrelevant as Pitt did make it right in end, but the journey did not have a masterplan IMO.

** The answer is that I had become discouraged. Even more than that, I had grown tired.

** I was tired of the rumors, tired of the conjecture, tired of the disappointment.

** Mostly I was tired of the notion that “no one wants to come here.”

** We Pitt fans have gotten a little too used to the notion of top players not wanting to come here over the past five years. But this idea had spilled over that notion to coaches too.

** I’ll readily confess that I had seriously begun to doubt Ms. Lyke was up to the task. I was worried our selection would drag on for another week or two, and would result in a totally unsatisfying end.

** My tired brain couldn’t really even think of a legit coaching target who would even come here. I was privately trying to convince myself that Brandin Knight might be OK.

** And I was totally exhausted thinking about what next season would look like with a substandard coaching selection trying to refill an already totally substandard roster. If we didn’t even win any games in the ACC last year, would we even win any games at all during the next?

** Someone wanted to come here. Someone really good. Someone I’m confident will be able to get many others to want to come here.

** So with this I offer my most sincere welcome to new Coach Jeff Capel.

** With that, allow me to offer an equally sincere congratulations to our AD. Quite frankly, when you start digging deeper, she probably just pulled off the most impressive major sport head coach hiring in the history of Pitt Athletics.

** Another confession I must make is when the news of new Coach Capel was first announced I was certainly pleased, but not overwhelmed. Maybe I was still waking up.

** Many have termed Jeff Capel as a “Home Run Hire.” For whatever reason, I’ve always sort of disdained this term. But I’ll play along and say even if he’s not quite a home run, he’s at least a sliding two-run triple.

** And considering how dismal our prospects looked even just 24 hours ago, in Pitt terms this might even be back-to-back Grand Slams (think about that!).

** Despite my unmeasured excitement of Lyke’s almost magic act, let’s go back to the only disappointing note of the day. That is, the size of the rebuilding job HCJC has in front of him is still sizeable and it may take some almost heroic efforts on his part just to get the Panthers to the middle of the ACC pack in the span of 2-3 seasons. Despite Jeff’s recruiting abilities, I still don’t think it will be a simple job at first to get good players to come here.

** But I certainly hope the job of getting fans to return to the Pete will be much easier.

** Many fans have said they would stay away because the actions of the Pitt Administration have said they aren’t serious about being successful. I think the Pitt Administration spoke loud and clear today.

** Staring tomorrow, I hope Panther fans speak loud and clear as well. How about getting on the phone and renew (or restarting) your basketball season tickets and increasing your athletics donation?

** I know I’ve now got all the energy I need to do both things bright and early tomorrow. Like I said, I’m not tired anymore!

** Hail to Pitt!
Although it is difficult to see it through what seems to be a typical early April showers day in the Burgh, the Sun has indeed come up, really for the first time in two years. What a load off the shoulders of every Panther fan!

It's a new day.

And, no, this is NOT APRIL Fool's Day. Yesterday really happened. Whether Heather had targeted Capel weeks before or 24 hours before DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL. She got him.

I texted her early in the process. Unlike former AD's, I got a response. Sure it was "canned." She's got too many things to do to respond to every Tom, Dick and Harry who sends her messages, particularly while involved in a crucial search. But, I will always remember that she pledged to "Hire a coach that Pitt fans can be proud of."
After reading the Capel "Coaching Tree" article, she has delivered 100%.

We have a coach who we can all get behind. A guy who has promise to improve the program and even to take it to new heights. She did her part. Now let us do our part. Let's try to stop sniping at other Panther fans or pushing our own agendas. Let's support Pitt, our coach and our athletes. Let's look forward, not back for a while.

Mistakes WERE made. That's past and can't be corrected. Let's put a moratorium on dragging ANY of our former coaches, good or bad, into every post. I know that's nearly impossible for us. Looking in our review mirrors seems to be imprinted in our DNA. BUT, Let's try.

It won't automatically become greatness again. There is probably a long and painful rebuild facing us. Recruiting should improve, but almost everyone from the 2018 class is already signed or committed. What Heather got for us is a guy who knows how to do it and provides a real path forward.

DT is posting his Dribbles again. We've signed a coach who is young enough to relate, is an outstanding recruiter, comes from a great bloodline and checks every box. Let him go to work.

Last edited:
Great post DT. I've missed your dribbles.
Even I was feeling down, and I was seriously thinking about dropping my tickets after 51 years. I'm feeling energized again and I upped my donations. I'm hoping to go for another 51 years because of yesterday's events. I know I won't be here when I'm 124, but anyway, my grand-kids will have them.

Although it is difficult to see it through what seems to be a typical early April showers day in the Burgh, the Sun has indeed come up, really for the first time in two years. What a load off the shoulders of every Panther fan!

It's a new day.

And, no, this is NOT APRIL Fool's Day. Yesterday really happened. Whether Heather had targeted Capel weeks before or 24 hours before DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL. She got him.

I texted her early in the process. Unlike former AD's, I got a response. Sure it was "canned." She's got too many things to do to respond to every Tom, Dick and Harry who sends her messages, particularly while involved in a crucial search. But, I will always remember that she pledged to "Hire a coach that Pitt fans can be proud of."

We have a coach who we can all get behind. A guy who has promise to improve the program and even to take it to new heights. She did her part. No let us do our part. Let's try to stop sniping at other Panther fans or pushing our own agendas. Let's support Pitt, our coach and our athletes. Let's look forward, not back for a while.

Mistakes WERE made. That's past and can't be corrected. Let's put a moratorium on dragging ANY of our former coaches, good or bad, into every post. I know that's nearly impossible for us. Looking in our review mirroe seems to be imprinted in our DNA. BUT, Let's try.

It won't automatically become greatness again. There is probably a long and painful rebuild facing us. Recruiting should improve, but almost everyone from the 2018 class is already signed or committed. What Heather got for us is a guy who knows how to do it and provides a real path forward.

DT is posting his Dribbles again. We've signed a coach who is young enough to relate, is an outstanding recruiter, comes from a great bloodline and checks every box. Let him go to work.
Well said, Harve74!

HAIL TO PITT!

Reactions: Pittguy93

It's a new day.

We have a coach who we can all get behind. A guy who has promise to improve the program and even to take it to new heights. She did her part. Now let us do our part. Let's try to stop sniping at other Panther fans or pushing our own agendas. Let's support Pitt, our coach and our athletes. Let's look forward, not back for a while.

Mistakes WERE made. That's past and can't be corrected. Let's put a moratorium on dragging ANY of our former coaches, good or bad, into every post. I know that's nearly impossible for us. Looking in our review mirrors seems to be imprinted in our DNA. BUT, Let's try.

I agree. Positivity should win out. No need to bag on Dixon or stallings. Lyke hopefully righted the ship. Time to enjoy Capel

It's no secret that Capel wanted an ACC head coaching job, yet he turned down Georgia Tech. He also turned down Arizona State. Both of those programs were in better shape than Pitt is now when he passed on the jobs. That tells me that he wasn't just looking to jump on the first decent offer he received. He could have waited. His stock wasn't going to go down sitting first chair at Duke and bringing in one 5 star recruit after another. He saw something here, which flies in the face of all the people who claimed this job was toxic. Is money part of it? Obviously, but money alone isn't enough. If the best recruiter in the country, a guy who was a head coach at age 27 and a P5 head coach at age 31, thinks Pitt has potential, then why should any of us disagree? Like you, I wasn't initially overwhelmed. Capel has very clear strengths, but also some significant drawbacks (or perhaps more accurately, uncertainties). However, it's incredibly important to understand the context of those drawbacks. He might not have been ready for a job like OU when he took it, there's a reason that you don't see P5 head coaches who are barely out of their twenties. That doesn't mean he won't succeed here and, as the day has gone on, I've grown more excited to see what he's got. At the very least, we won't need to compete with La Salle or Central Connecticut State for recruits anymore.
One of the very best aspects of this hire is that Capel is still really young by head coaching standards, yet he has a ton of head coaching experience. The fact that he backed out of head coaching for a few years after a rough end at OU, to be the top assistant for the best basketball program and coach of the past 25-30 years, can only benefit him. So he has the experience of running his own program at the highest level, combined with the long-term mentor-ship of the very best in the business, all while still being young, energetic and motivated. He has experienced high highs and low lows. In short, he's everything Stallings wasn't.

Apart from a clean Sean Miller, this might be the best hire we possibly could have made in terms of checking the many conflicting boxes that come along with this program. I would have been fine with Hurley, but in my opinion, he's no sure thing by any means.

I predict we see a major recruiting uptick starting with the 2019 class. As bad of shape as this program is at the moment, I think he will upgrade Pitt immediately in the personnel department. He has inroads and connections into that world that nobody who's coached here since the Evans days has had. He has a lot of credibility and can sell the rebuild playing time to good players.

Last edited:
Here's the thing about that though. No one other than Lyke and a few "confidantes" should have any idea how the search was going and who was being targeted. It does the search no good at all if any part of it is conducted in public. When people get pissed off that they are not being kept in the proverbial loop what they are really saying is that they think that they are more important than the program and getting the hire right. And of course that is nuts. Full on crazy.
Truth.

I'd have to think Hurley doesn't get a $3.2 million offer from Pitt if that was actually the case.

Nice to see the Dribbles come back.

Hopefully, before too long, I'll have reason to bring the Bubble Watch back.

As much as you know I love the Bubble Watch, hopefully we will quickly bypass the need for the Bubble Watch and get back again to talking about protected seeds.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I can’t see anyone not being extremely pleased with this hire . Does it really matter where Capel was on her list , I think this was the best hire Pitt could’ve made . Pitt was never going to hire away a great coach from an equivalent school and coaches who became hot with one good tourament run aren’t worth the numbers that were being thrown around . A reasonably young assistant coach whose a former head coach recruiting the same footprint as Pitt ( much more successfully ! ) who could ask for anything more .
None of this guarantees his success at Pitt or if he’s successful how long he’ll be here if Coach K retires , but none of his matters today . What matters today is that Heather gave us all hope ! Well done !

As you mentioned PITT wasn't going to get one of the "better" head coaches, no blue chip guy, not even Hurley, Oakes, Musselman, etc so this was a great get considering Capel has HC experience and is an assistant at a top program.

Miller, Matta, Schmidt or some assistant with no HC experience would have been disappointing. That's where I thought we were heading but Lyke pulled Capel out of the hat!

Heather should thank Coach K since I think he had something to do with getting this ball rolling but she made it happen and closed the deal.

As I said before style points don't count in college basketball but results do!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: PeetWeet1
I beg to disagree. It almost has to be Jay Vidovich, probably the greatest hire in Pitt athletics history. Unfortunately, the credit has to go to...I can't even say it.

But when you score two-time national coach of the year who built a national championship winning program that made 4 final four appearances while collecting 5 conference COY awards and five conference championships in what is unquestionably the most difficult conference; not to mention having his team finish ranked in the Top 10 nine times with 13 NCAA appearances in 14 seasons, including three #1 seeds; and btw, had his program producing the second most first round professional draft picks of any school in the country..... and you bring him to a program that hadn't made it to the NCAAs in 51 years, hadn't seen a winning record in 15, hadn't won a conference game in 4 (including 0 for the ACC), wasn't providing a full complement of athletic scholarships, and has, arguably, a bare bones-mediocre-at-best facility....then you have one of the most stunning and greatest hires not just in Pitt athletic history, but maybe perhaps you have an argument to being one of the greatest hires in the totality of all college sports history.

From the Cheap Seats; Jay does appear to be a very good get for Pitt, but he's really small spuds compared to Johnny and Jackie. Granted, you had to close your eyes and hold your nose sometimes with their methods. Regarding the best hire in college sports history, one name particularly stands out for me, Geno Auriemma. You are what your record says you are.

I wonder if we will ever get the whole story. I wonder if she had Capel in her sights from the start or if it was a tremendous pivot. But she never really tipped her hand.
She's a pro. all class, too. Happy to see the Duzz there. Now he can have recruits to BB games. Think I'll restart my tix.

Riiiiight.

It's not like she needed a smokescreen. Everybody knows about Capel. His ass has been sitting next to the most popular coach in the game for the last 7 years. Nobody else wanted Capel. It's not like through some work of brilliance she pulled off this great coup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT