ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Why wait? Cheaper buyout maybe? The recruiting thing doesn't hold water, a recruit isn't going to make a decision based on a position coach. Head coach yes, coordinator maybe but not a position coach.

Why wait? Cheaper buyout maybe? The recruiting thing doesn't hold water, a recruit isn't going to make a decision based on a position coach. Head coach yes, coordinator maybe but not a position coach.

Potentially, yes. A cheaper buyout. We have no offensive recruits that are waiting to see who we hire or waiting for that to take place. Why not save the buyout?

Some think it's about LOI day. Although I don't know how kosher it is for a coach to hang out, let the kid sign, then bail. But I'm sure it goes on every year.

Not many schools wait until Feb. to name a OC just so they can save money on a buyout. This whole thinking of its about LOI day. That is a pretty shitty thing to do, especially for the other teams verbals who cannot change their mind at that point. Either way, it looks bad on both parties.

Not many schools wait until Feb. to name a OC just so they can save money on a buyout. This whole thinking of its about LOI day. That is a pretty shitty thing to do, especially for the other teams verbals who cannot change their mind at that point. Either way, it looks bad on both parties.
Are top WR recruits really going to bama because of the position coach? Is it that much of a factor that they'd change their mind if he left? A million reasons to go to bama to play football, who the position coach is isn't one of them

Completely agree.

It also shows the guy doesn't really want the Pitt job.
If it's a position coach, he's getting a clear promotion to be OC at Pitt.

If he wants to be here then he should leave immediately. That's how it works at every other school. What's that say about how committed he is to being here long term?

The alternative is Narduzzi is waiting and being respectful to MSU before he hires one of their guys. That alternative isn't much better as we'd be getting a position coach from a non-creative offense that went 3-9 last year.

Reactions: sherepower
Not many schools wait until Feb. to name a OC just so they can save money on a buyout. This whole thinking of its about LOI day. That is a pretty shitty thing to do, especially for the other teams verbals who cannot change their mind at that point. Either way, it looks bad on both parties.[

Could have been an Issue for Pitt if they were recruiting a QB and/or large number of offensive recruits but they're not, it's a complete non issue and has been a non issue since Max Browne signed. Doesn't look bad for Pitt at all. This is no surprise.

Then Pitt will not be the only school announcing changes after signing day several schools do it. While it's not the ideal scenario this is the norm.

Completely agree.

It also shows the guy doesn't really want the Pitt job.
If it's a position coach, he's getting a clear promotion to be OC at Pitt.

If he wants to be here then he should leave immediately. That's how it works at every other school. What's that say about how committed he is to being here long term?

The alternative is Narduzzi is waiting and being respectful to MSU before he hires one of their guys. That alternative isn't much better as we'd be getting a position coach from a non-creative offense that went 3-9 last year.
You're completely off base . The guy's contract may prevent him from leaving before LOI day or require him to pay liquidated damages if he does. Your suggesting that his not beginning at Pitt at the time he was offered the job means he doesn't want the job is beuonc stupid!

You're completely off base . The guy's contract may prevent him from leaving before LOI day or require him to pay liquidated damages if he does. Your suggesting that his not beginning at Pitt at the time he was offered the job means he doesn't want the job is beuonc stupid!
Lets continue to use a position as an example.

He's getting a clear promotion. I'd be willing to bet his contract says he can leave with no/very little penalty for a clear promotion.

Once again every other program can get their coach right away. Auburn got the OC from ASU. UCLA got the co-OC from Michigan. Miss St got the multi-million dollar DC from Louisville. On and on and on.

So you're saying Pitt is the only school that just by coincidence targets their next OC as the only coach out there that has a contract that says he can't leave until LOI day?

New guy appears real motivated to start working at Pitt.

By the way, it's you're not your and assume you mean beyond. Stupid!

Reactions: Jpripper88
Lets continue to use a position as an example.

He's getting a clear promotion. I'd be willing to bet his contract says he can leave with no/very little penalty for a clear promotion.

Once again every other program can get their coach right away. Auburn got the OC from ASU. UCLA got the co-OC from Michigan. Miss St got the multi-million dollar DC from Louisville. On and on and on.

So you're saying Pitt is the only school that just by coincidence targets their next OC as the only coach out there that has a contract that says he can't leave until LOI day?

New guy appears real motivated to start working at Pitt.

By the way, it's you're not your and assume you mean beyond. Stupid!
Do you understand money and contracts? Obviously not.

Do you understand money and contracts? Obviously not.
Yes, and in college football there are clauses if you are getting a promotion.

Look up the Joe Wickline situation when he left Oklahoma State for Texas a few years ago.

His buyout was lowered if he left for a play calling position. Basically Texas wasn't clear if he was calling plays, so there were some legal issues.

If Pitt is hiring a current position coach to be the next OC then that candidate should have a fairly easy path to working at Pitt immediately. That is unless the candidate just isn't motivated to start right away.

You do realize 95% of staffs are finalized right now? There is usually a buyout if you make a lateral move. If you are getting a promotion then the buyout usually drops. That's how all these staffs get finalized in December/January.

I don't know why Narduzzi hasn't announced the OC hire yet. Most of the reasons I can think of aren't encouraging though.

Yes, and in college football there are clauses if you are getting a promotion.

Look up the Joe Wickline situation when he left Oklahoma State for Texas a few years ago.

His buyout was lowered if he left for a play calling position. Basically Texas wasn't clear if he was calling plays, so there were some legal issues.

If Pitt is hiring a current position coach to be the next OC then that candidate should have a fairly easy path to working at Pitt immediately. That is unless the candidate just isn't motivated to start right away.

You do realize 95% of staffs are finalized right now? There is usually a buyout if you make a lateral move. If you are getting a promotion then the buyout usually drops. That's how all these staffs get finalized in December/January.

I don't know why Narduzzi hasn't announced the OC hire yet. Most of the reasons I can think of aren't encouraging though.
There are no standard provisions in every contract! If the OC statys right after LOI day and he's currently a college coach, you can bet it's because of a contractual issue. In any event Pitt won't have been impacted negatively an iota by this hire being postponed. What's better waiting and getting the guy you want or settling for your second choice?

What other position coaches this year are not taking an OC job until Feb? Del, are you still checking on those Napier verbals?

What other position coaches this year are not taking an OC job until Feb? Del, are you still checking on those Napier verbals?
Who the hell cares and what difference does it make? I'd be annoyed as much as you seem to be by this development if we were being hurt by it. You're making a mountain out of an irrelevant mole hill. Have you made a wager on when the hire would be made? The way you're obsesseed with this complete nonissue would suggest so. Worry about whether we are going to sign any more DL recruits- that's a legitimate issue.

There are no standard provisions in every contract!
I haven't seen the contract of the mystery candidate, but I can tell you that industry wide there are provisions if the coach is getting a clear promotion.
In any event Pitt won't have been impacted negatively an iota by this hire being postponed.
Except the 6+ weeks the kids haven't been able to study the playbook.
What's better waiting and getting the guy you want or settling for your second choice?
Doing what 95% of schools do and get their guy on time.

I haven't seen the contract of the mystery candidate, but I can tell you that industry wide there are provisions if the coach is getting a clear promotion.

Except the 6+ weeks the kids haven't been able to study the playbook.

Doing what 95% of schools do and get their guy on time.
Nonsense! Every contract is a product of negotiation and in the case of the type of provision you're referring to depends on the stance of his boss, the HC. Your position is a complete guess!

Your were proven wrong. You stated we don't need many more offensive recruits so its not hurting us to not have Napier or some other OC here right now. I proved that a guy like Napier recruits both offensive and defensive players.

Del, you act like your the expert on these guys contracts. You know nothing about their contract. Your guessing.

Nonsense! Every contract is a product of negotiation and in the case of the type of provision you're referring to depends on the stance of his boss, the HC. Your position is a complete guess!
Well it would be a guess both ways, so I don't know how you can say you know what his contract is.

I'm just taking the reasonable of approach of looking how the issue is handled across the industry.

Your were proven wrong. You stated we don't need many more offensive recruits so its not hurting us to not have Napier or some other OC here right now. I proved that a guy like Napier recruits both offensive and defensive players.

Del, you act like your the expert on these guys contracts. You know nothing about their contract. You guessing.
Narduzzi doedn't need his prospective OC to help him recruit defensive players. Beyond stupid! I am an expert on contracts. Take it for what it's worth. If you don't believe that I could give a $hit. Go watch some cartoons and stop worrying about the OC.

if I'm not mistaken Pitt has gotten several of their top offensive recruits without an OC and will probably land Davis,so really who cares when they hire him

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Also we've been an assistant coach down for this whole four week contact period.

Although we may be done recruiting for 2017, our coaches have been on the road scouting and recruiting players for 2018 and 2019. As @vegasgreed pointed out Napier rercuits both offensive and defensive players. Lets not even make this specific to Napier, just any new OC could be on the road visiting schools for offensive and defensive players for next year.

Considering how unstable our OC position has been over the past few years I want the new guy on the road now talking to high school coaches.

So how much was it worth to Pitt to not have that extra coach on the road this past month? $50,000? $100,000?

They better be saving a lot of money with that buyout considering every other team can afford these buyouts.

You don't know one damn thing about Napier or MSU's guys contract. Why? Because you have not seen it.

Narduzzi doedn't need his prospective OC to help him recruit defensive players. Beyond stupid! I am an expert on contracts. Take it for what it's worth. If you don't believe that I could give a $hit. Go watch some cartoons and stop worrying about the OC.

You don't know one damn thing about Napier or MSU's guys contract. Why? Because you have not seen it.
Never said I saw anyone's contract. Never said I knew Napier was the hire. Only explained why this saga probably is dragging out. Now go watch some cartoons and relax.

Reactions: CougarClaws
There are only 2 things that would make sense. 1) We are hiring LaFleur (QB Coach) with Falcons 2) An asst coach who is tied to a Power Program or MSU, and there is a big buyout to leave before signing day.
That's my thought process.

Don't know much about LaFleur.

Don't want an MSU guy.

If we have waited this long for the announcement I hope it is an established Power 5 OC, not a position coach.

I doubt its an NFL guy. I highly doubt its LaFleur, he has one single year as an OC. Narduzzi is not a offensive guy. I've mentioned this before, look at his past hires and what he has done. This is his third OC hire in three years, he now has a track record. He values experience and he values college experience. I think it will be somebody with experience and a fair bit of it, that is if he was able to get one of his top guys. If he had to settle on his 4th choice, then things may change this year.

I'm also hoping its not any of the MSU guys.

So how will @Delpanther explain how ASU could come up with the money to pay Napier's massive buyout?
You're a hoot. I never said Pitt had hired Napier or that Napier had a contractual arrangement that prevented him from accepting a job with Pitt until after LOI day. I said that if Pitt hired Napier and that if it weren't announced until after LOI day that a plausible explanation would be that Napier's contract prevented an earlier announcement. You're so twisted up in your mental underwear that you have absolutely no idea what I did or didn't say. It's now clear Napier and Pitt never had a deal. Who the hell knows who's Pitt's top candidate at this point. If, however, they end up hiring a college coach as OC right after LOI day again one plausible explanation is that the deal was made earlier but the announcement was delayed for contractual reasons. On the other hand, it could be that Narduzzi still has no deal with anybody.

Reactions: CougarClaws
No. No, you are not.

You're a hoot. I never said Pitt had hired Napier or that Napier had a contractual arrangement that prevented him from accepting a job with Pitt until after LOI day.
First off, congrats on getting you're correct this time.
Exact quote:
The guy's contract may prevent him from leaving before LOI day or require him to pay liquidated damages if he does.

I never said you said Napier was the guy.

You were however going to war for the position that position coaches, such as Napier, have massive buyouts that don't drop until after LOI day and would prevent schools such as Pitt from hiring them even though a move to OC would be a clear promotion.

ASU just proved your point wrong.

First off, congrats on getting you're correct this time.
Exact quote:

I never said you said Napier was the guy.

You were however going to war for the position that position coaches, such as Napier, have massive buyouts that don't drop until after LOI day and would prevent schools such as Pitt from hiring them even though a move to OC would be a clear promotion.

ASU just proved your point wrong.
And they don't. Really, most OC's don't either. Certainly not buyouts which would drop drastically or be so high you have to wait to sign them.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT