ADVERTISEMENT

next round of expansion..... your thoughts.

benchwarmer04

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2004
I'm thinking either big eight takes in someone like texas state,houston,new mexico(state). or, texas bolts, and the rest of the league gets torn up, then, devoured piecemeal. wheres that leave the hoopies ? would you be surprised to see them in the sec ?

West Virginia belongs in the ACC! It has its natural rivalry wih Pitt and has played Virginia Tech and Louisville for years. One stipulation though: West Virgina players MUST wear shirts, socks and shoes on Game Day!!!!!!!

Reactions: kma0043 and raninab
I been messing with this stuff for a while now trying to figure it out, if bring in WVU who else would you bring in as Well? ND isn't an option . I don't think they ever will join a conference. With that said. Would you take Cincy in as well and sort have the conference split like an ole big East division and an ole acc division? I have a hard time bringing in someone other than WVU based on performance. If Cicny is an option then I'd say so is Temple. Or go another route? Marshall? Navy?

I been messing with this stuff for a while now trying to figure it out, if bring in WVU who else would you bring in as Well? ND isn't an option . I don't think they ever will join a conference. With that said. Would you take Cincy in as well and sort have the conference split like an ole big East division and an ole acc division? I have a hard time bringing in someone other than WVU based on performance. If Cicny is an option then I'd say so is Temple. Or go another route? Marshall? Navy?
What about UCONN?

I'm thinking either big eight takes in someone like texas state,houston,new mexico(state). or, texas bolts, and the rest of the league gets torn up, then, devoured piecemeal. wheres that leave the hoopies ? would you be surprised to see them in the sec ?
Why would adding Texas State, Houston, etc. make UT want to stay in the Big 12 (10 teams)?

Texas to the Big Ten or ACC and the rest of the Big 12 crumbles. I am almost positive this happens within the next decade. The Big 12 cannot survive long-term with its miniscule footprint.

Pure Prairie League adds Texas State and New Mexico/State the same day the ACC adds Old Dominion and East Carolina.

The ACC is not expanding to add teams like Temple, UConn or Cinci. That is absurd.

And the Big 12 is not expanding to add teams like Texas St, New Mexico St in an effort to keep Texas. That would not keep Texas.

The WVU in ACC would be awesome. It is nice that they are in B12. I'm going to the OSU at PSU game and will attend a WVU game this year. I can see 3 major conferences w/ a short drive. That is really awesome

The last expansion happened because media outlets agreed to pay for it. I'm not sure if those same media outlets are in a position to throw money around for conference expansion this time (until a few things shake out).

I think that those same media outlets would be more inclined to lay out money for the expansion of the CFB playoff to 8 teams, That would a much safer investment since 8 teams makes it much more likely that Notre Dame (read: print money) would be included.

So, my vote goes for the next expansion is: CFB Playoff

What about UCONN?
UCONN doesn't give the team a steamboat wheel trophy lol... idk I feel UConn is the team out of the left over Big East teams to fall the furthest from being able to compete with P5 schools. But could change with Randy back in play up there . Give it a year or 2.

Louisville?
Before Louisville got their invitation to join the ACC, I remember reading the comments of their fans on the Louisville board. Basically, even their own fans thought that because of their academics - or lack thereof - they had no shot of getting into the ACC. Luckily for them, their sports won them a spot.

Addendum - just a thought, but....when does the other shoe drop re: Notre Dame?

It's funny that this thread was created right as the other thread about the cable gravy train was created. Good timing.

If you haven't read the other thread yet, I'd take a look over there. There's some good stuff. Seems like the next round of realignment won't be like any previous rounds, which means the ideas in this thread probably won't happen because it uses prior thinking.

I don't think the Big XII will expand, unless they're able to get a big name like Nebraska/Missouri (won't happen) or they can poach a PAC 12 school. From what I've read regarding the Big XII's contract in how it distributes money to its members, it wouldn't make economic sense to expand unless it's a major addition, in which case they'd re-negotiate the deal for more money. Smaller slices of the pie. I think they're more likely to ride it out with 10 members.

If the Big XII falls apart, I think the ACC would be quick to pick up West Virginia. They threw academic standards out of the window with Louisville. Clemson/FSU would probably threaten to bolt if the Tobacco Roads try to block WVU. Then they'd probably try to get Notre Dame to become a full-time member to get to 16 schools. UConn won't join because the ACC has bigger fish to catch and Boston College would object, again.

I think the ACC also has to watch out for the SEC and B1G potentially poaching them. Those two would go after Oklahoma and Texas first and then settle for the scraps after that. Schools like UNC, Virginia, etc. make more sense for those conferences than OK State, Texas Tech, etc. with the exception of Kansas for the Big Ten. Even then, they may be hesitant to add them with how bad the football program is. In that case, where does the ACC go from there? UCF or USF would be good additions, but the Florida schools would probably object. Perhaps Temple? Does UConn get an invite then?

Regardless, it's fun to discuss. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited:
It's funny that this thread was created right as the other thread about the cable gravy train was create. Good timing.

If you haven't read the other thread yet, I'd take a look over there. There's some good stuff. Seems like the next round of realignment won't be like any previous rounds, which means the ideas in this thread probably won't happen because it uses prior thinking.

I don't think the Big XII will expand, unless they're able to get a big name like Nebraska/Missouri (won't happen) or they can poach a PAC 12 school. From what I've read regarding the Big XII's contract in how it distributes money to its members, it wouldn't make economic sense to expand unless it's a major addition, in which case they'd re-negotiate the deal for more money. Smaller slices of the pie. I think they're more likely to ride it out with 10 members.

If the Big XII falls apart, I think the ACC would be quick to pick up West Virginia. They threw academic standards out of the window with Louisville. Clemson/FSU would probably threaten to bolt if the Tobacco Roads try to blow WVU. Then they'd probably try to get Notre Dame to become a full-time member to get to 16 schools. UConn won't join because the ACC has bigger fish to catch and Boston College would object, again.

I think the ACC also has to watch out for the SEC and B1G potentially poaching them. Those two would go after Oklahoma and Texas first and then settle for the scraps after that. Schools like UNC, Virginia, etc. make more sense for those conferences than OK State, Texas Tech, etc. with the exception of Kansas for the Big Ten. Even then, they may be hesitant to add them with how bad the football program is.

Regardless, it's fun to discuss. Lots of possibilities.

The thing is, really without the concern of expanding footprints for cable networks and population bases, a lot of expansion doesn't make sense. Most expansion hasn't brought economically, let alone on the field performance wise success. I am sure the PAC 12 is not overwhelmed with what Utah and Colorado has brought, I am sure the Big 10 is not thrilled with what Maryland and Rutgers have brought and let's be honest, I am sure the ACC is less than thrilled with what we and Syracuse have brought.

So they are going to be much more careful with expansion, weighing how much another school or 2 will really bring revenue wise, that has to be spread out now ever thinner, over a bigger pack.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The thing is, really without the concern of expanding footprints for cable networks and population bases, a lot of expansion doesn't make sense. Most expansion hasn't brought economically, let alone on the field performance wise success. I am sure the PAC 12 is not overwhelmed with what Utah and Colorado has brought, I am sure the Big 10 is not thrilled with what Maryland and Rutgers have brought and let's be honest, I am sure the ACC is less than thrilled with what we and Syracuse have brought.

So they are going to be much more careful with expansion, weighing how much another school or 2 will really bring revenue wise, that has to be spread out now ever thinner, over a bigger pack.
Yup, agreed.

You're looking at it from a conference's perspective, but it's also important to remember that, if the gravy train temporarily halts, it doesn't make sense for the schools, either. You'd have to pay the huge buyout fee for leaving the conference and its pact, which is a hefty sum, and there wouldn't be enough money coming in from their new conference to make up for it in the short-term.

Heck, even now you have schools around the country struggling to make money following realignment. Missouri has been in the red for years now not only because of paying back the exit fee from the Big XII, but the excessive spending it takes to "keep up with the Jones'" in their new conference.

Yup, agreed.

You're looking at it from a conference's perspective, but it's also important to remember that, if the gravy train temporarily halts, it doesn't make sense for the schools, either. You'd have to pay the huge buyout fee for leaving the conference and its pact, which is a hefty sum, and there wouldn't be enough money coming in from their new conference to make up for it in the short-term.

Heck, even now you have schools around the country struggling to make money following realignment. Missouri has been in the red for years now not only because of paying back the exit fee from the Big XII, but the excessive spending it takes to "keep up with the Jones'" in their new conference.
We already have Louisville that does not believe in an education at any level. So you want to add West Virginia. There claim to fame is that the give away Deplomas to people

We already have Louisville that does not believe in an education at any level. So you want to add West Virginia. There claim to fame is that the give away Deplomas to people
So you wouldn’t want to add WVU? They’d bolster the conference’s reputation in football and basketball (which means more money for us), give us a true in-conference rival, and would connect the rest of the conference to Louisville and the state of Kentucky. Again, they threw the academic standards out of the window with Louisville; You don’t think they’d do the same with West Virginia? It’d be a glass-house type of thing to block them for that reasoning when one of the conference’s flagship institutions, North Carolina, has had their own run-ins with academic violations.

Also, I try not to act like I’m an English teacher, and no offense GBG, but I find it humorous that your post, which degrades WVU for their academic reputation, has multiple grammatical errors. ;)

There claim to fame? Shouldn’t that read They’re clame two faim?

Bolstering a conference's reputation doesn't bring more money. Bringing in more potential television viewers is what brings in more money. And that is, and always has been, West Virginia's problem.
Yea your right trying to drive and post is not a good thing. Talking to text is not a good thing for me

Bolstering a conference's reputation doesn't bring more money. Bringing in more potential television viewers is what brings in more money. And that is, and always has been, West Virginia's problem.
You're correct. I should've been more specific.

I meant indirectly, such as when a school makes a NY6 bowl or makes deep run into the NCAA Tournament. The conferences get a certain amount of money depending on how many schools it has represented, which in return gets distributed among the schools. It's nothing major, but it's a nice little addition for sure. You have to think with how good WVU's football and basketball programs are, they could theoretically contribute to this down the line.

Last edited:
So you wouldn’t want to add WVU? They’d bolster the conference’s reputation in football and basketball (which means more money for us), give us a true in-conference rival, and would connect the rest of the conference to Louisville and the state of Kentucky. Again, they threw the academic standards out of the window with Louisville; You don’t think they’d do the same with West Virginia? It’d be a glass-house type of thing to block them for that reasoning when one of the conference’s flagship institutions, North Carolina, has had their own run-ins with academic violations.

Also, I try not to act like I’m an English teacher, and no offense GBG, but I find it humorous that your post, which degrades WVU for their academic reputation, has multiple grammatical errors. ;)
That isn't what generates money.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
WVU will move to the SWAC. Their fans will like some of their new road trip opportunities.

West Virginia belongs in the ACC and honestly Rutgers coming with them would be a fit, but since that’s not happening why not South Florida into the ACC with WVU. I’d take USF over Cincinnati any day

So what you people are saying is that more people watch Pitt play football on TV than Wvu?
What is being said is way, way above your head, if that is what you think is being said or has ever been said in regards to conference realignment priorities.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT