ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Roster?

Stallings is coaching and recruiting for his coaching life, even more so with a new AD set to come in.

If Stallings thought his current players could develop and provide better options than what he could bring in, I am sure he would keep them. He would not be running off the developmental players on most of the ACC rosters. Unfortunately our roster is different. Our recruiting for the last three seasons is nowhere near ACC level. I say we blow it up now. Patch as best as we can for next season and have a full developmental team under that patch.

The vast net and intensity that marks current Pitt recruiting, clearly indicates to me that is the direction Stallings is headed. I expect 9 recruits for 2017, more if the administration allows it.

I will start to worry about development next season, when hopefully we have something to develop.
Exactly - there should be no guaranteed spots. If anyone on the current roster is not going all out in practice and the games, then they should be shown the door. The off-season workouts should push them to their limits. Those who stay, will play.

Reactions: Pittx9
Stallings is coaching and recruiting for his coaching life, even more so with a new AD set to come in.

If Stallings thought his current players could develop and provide better options than what he could bring in, I am sure he would keep them. He would not be running off the developmental players on most of the ACC rosters. Unfortunately our roster is different. Our recruiting for the last three seasons is nowhere near ACC level. I say we blow it up now. Patch as best as we can for next season and have a full developmental team under that patch.

The vast net and intensity that marks current Pitt recruiting, clearly indicates to me that is the direction Stallings is headed. I expect 9 recruits for 2017, more if the administration allows it.

I will start to worry about development next season, when hopefully we have something to develop.

Looks like recruiting is continuing - I see no end in sight

I would not discount Cam and Luther graduating this spring/summer and their desire to maybe move on to a winning program. Cam would have 2 years of eligibility.

Not saying that would interest either but they will have the option.
Both are in their third year. Are they in position to graduate? And they are from a bare cupboard.....not ACC quality. Or so we're told.

He conserves his energy during games

Well I listened to Stalling's radio show tonight. He said he and Coach Richardson were away all day yesterday pursuing a recruit.

It seems like this coach has the energy and (unlike some others) believes it is a good idea to actually see who you are recruiting. He makes the time to do that in season (imagine that) or not. I think that energy and thinking make it less likely we end up with a bunch of Haughton's, Doorsen's, etc.

Stallings skipped the Dapper Dan banquet to see the recruit. How can there be any doubt that Stallings is both serious and dedicated when it comes to winning at Pitt?

Last edited:
Stallings on his show made it sound like recruiting for 2017 was far from over.

Maybe somebody over on premium will ask Corey if he knows who Stallings and Richardson were in to see yesterday.

Reactions: Piranha
Well I listened to Stalling's radio show tonight. He said he and Coach Richardson were away all day yesterday pursuing a recruit.

It seems like this coach has the energy and (unlike some others) believes it is a good idea to actually see who you are recruiting. He makes the time to do that in season or not. I think that energy and thinking make it less likely we end up with a bunch of Haughton's, Doorsen's, etc.

Stallings skipped the Dapper Dan banquet to see the recruit. How can there be any doubt that Stallings is both serious and dedicated when it comes to winning at Pitt?
You mean, like someone with offers from Bethune ?

I don't doubt he intends to succeed, I do doubt his track record of actually having success.

You mean, like someone with offers from Bethune ?

I don't doubt he intends to succeed, I do doubt his track record of actually having success.

I was just describing the difference between a coach going all out to win and a coach who had burned out.

Hopefully he is scouring Africa and Europe for dudes that can't speak English, but are 7 foot or can knock down 3s in their sleep, or checking to see what troubled ballers are being paroled from prison in time for next season to create some fake transcripts for them to do what you should do, WIN AT ANY COST.

But honestly, if I was them, why transfer to somewhere where you might sit? I'd rather play every minute for a bad team rather than ride the pine for a good one. In my youth I experienced both and always PLAY>SIT.

Especially when you can play & start for a team in the ACC.

Pretty sweet & you get looks by NBA Scouts all the time if your good.

Maybe somebody over on premium will ask Corey if he knows who Stallings and Richardson were in to see yesterday.

Richardson going might indicate the recruit was around Chicago, I know we are at least evaluating Mark Smith a 6-5 guard from Illinois. Smith is a late bloomer that majors have started to pursue.

http://www.theintelligencer.com/spo...TBALL-Interest-still-growing-for-10833776.php

Last edited:
I think Matt is saying 7 new recruits, others are saying 9, I would like to see 10 or 11.

I think 9 is the safe bet. I think Corey stays (if he wants to). Kithcart leaves because he does not want to play behind Carr and Thompson. Clark is gone due to 3 knee surgeries. Milligan goes somewhere he can play. Wilson was ready to go last season, goes now.

Nix is a feel good story, but....
Carr will be the Starting PG count on that one !

You also described the difference between a coach who won plenty of games and was a regular in the big dance... vs one who won't sniff the round of 64 for 6-8 years in a row.
What is the best brand name for over the counter fish oil?

Why is the truth always responded to with a personal attack?
I don't know.
But much like he's confused by Stallings own failures to win , he seems to think pharmacist recommend non-medications.

Supplements are the equivalent of Stallings, at best you're wasting your money and at worst can cause a lot of damage to your health.

With Peace visiting today, Pitt will have used 10 of its 12 official visits.

I am assuming Bredzekis is still a 2018 recruit and on an unofficial visit (though Canadians have been know to reclassify)

I think Matt is saying 7 new recruits, others are saying 9, I would like to see 10 or 11.

I think 9 is the safe bet. I think Corey stays (if he wants to). Kithcart leaves because he does not want to play behind Carr and Thompson. Clark is gone due to 3 knee surgeries. Milligan goes somewhere he can play. Wilson was ready to go last season, goes now.

Nix is a feel good story, but....

Gary ... if I was a betting man (and I'm not), I guess the following probabilities on the number of recruits for next year ...

6 (standing pat with what we have) - 23%
7 (one more) - 60%
8 - 10%
9 - 5%
10 - 1+ %
11 - less than 1%

At this point, one guy won't be here next year and my belief is that will be Clark.

Gary ... if I was a betting man (and I'm not), I guess the following probabilities on the number of recruits for next year ...

6 (standing pat with what we have) - 23%
7 (one more) - 60%
8 - 10%
9 - 5%
10 - 1+ %
11 - less than 1%

At this point, one guy won't be here next year and my belief is that will be Clark.

To get to 7 (one more) - 60% - Someone (beside Clark) will have to go

I think we take 2 more for sure - A big and a 2G.

I think with the way the season has gone, it could be more.

Nix and Milligan are the safest - If they want to stay, they will only be replaced by grad transfers as we need ships to give in 2018.

I would be shocked if we only brought in 7. I feel it will be at least 8. Likely 9.

If the administration allows it and things fall right, I would not be shocked to see 11.

It will not be all that long until this question is answered.

Some have even started to try to scare everyone with talk of Ryan and Cam grad transferring. I certainly would not want to see that, but even if it happens, I doubt it would mean all that much for next season. Both are good players to have but neither is a difference maker.

Last edited:
I know Pitt will not clear all returning players but Ryan and Cam, but I would.

This is how it would look:

C - Grad Transf.(Physical C or PF - Luther can flip to Pittsnoggle like C)
PF - Luther
SF - C.Johnson
2G - Wilson-Frame
PG - A.Thompson

C - P.LLegomah
PF - JCT - Thornton or B.Stevens or J.Rodriquez or K.Williams or D.Lake or ?
SF - Stevenson
2G - Grad Transf (would be great to get someone who can help)
PG - Carr (may need to play some at the 2G depending on other's results)

C/PF - T.Brown
2G - FR - D.Banks (if he is a guard) or ?
PG - Grad Transf (does not need to be great)

3 Grad Transf + Luther = 4 scholarships to give in 2018.
This why you not coaching. And probably never have or should.

I think we bring in 2 more guys. IMO the following guys are on our roster.
Nix
Luther
Johnson
Wilson Frame
Manigault
Kithcart
Carr
Thompson
Peace
Stevenson
Brown

I think we bring in 2 more guys. IMO the following guys are on our roster.
Nix
Luther
Johnson
Wilson Frame
Manigault
Kithcart
Carr
Thompson
Peace
Stevenson
Brown

If I was betting, (and I'm not), I think we will bring in one more guy and Wilson will be here next year, along with those you mentioned.

I really feel for cam and Luther. Gonna have to be the leaders on a team next year that probably won't have much support for them.

Revision 1 (Updated)

I know Pitt will not clear all returning players but Ryan and Cam, but I would.

This is how it would look:

C - Luther
PF - JCT - Thornton or B.Stevens or J.Rodriquez or ?
SF - C.Johnson
2G - JC - Wilson-Frame
PG - Fr - M.Carr

C - Fr - P.LLegomah
PF - Fr -T.Brown
SF - Fr - S.Stevenson
2G - JC - T.Simons
PG - Fr - A.Thompson

C - JCT or Fr -Haslem or D.Lake or Ondigo or ? (B.Fakirri)
XTRA - Grad Transf (does not need to be great) - Position based on best available
XTRA - Grad Transf (does not need to be great) - Position based on best available

(If no decent grad transfers are available - Keep Nix and Milligan - need available ships)

2 Grad Transfs (or Seniors) + Luther = 3 scholarships to give in 2018.(probably another thru 2017 attrition)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT