ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Are the Steelers ruining Kenny Pickett

Dec 20, 2019
This is not the same guy. He has been mismanaged, poorly coached, and poorly protected. I'm not saying he has been good. I'm actually saying he has declined more and more as this staff has "coached' him. I was glad he went round 1 but sad he went to this club. I hope they trade him to a club that will actually develop him so he can have a real career....even if it's as a back up. He deserves better than this.

This is not the same guy. He has been mismanaged, poorly coached, and poorly protected. I'm not saying he has been good. I'm actually saying he has declined more and more as this staff has "coached' him. I was glad he went round 1 but sad he went to this club. I hope they trade him to a club that will actually develop him so he can have a real career....even if it's as a back up. He deserves better than this.
TOTALLY AGREE!!

Yea, I am thinking Pickett’s ceiling is low. He may have peaked in 2021 here. I mean, anything can happen, but the sample size is large enough now to tell me he may not be that great.

That being said, the Steelers basically operate an offense that disallows Pickett to do anything, and the OL sucks, so how much can you expect?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is what he looked like for 3 years at Pitt. A QB with pedestrian numbers in college will usually look really bad in the pros. The Steelers didn't ruin him. There isn't much to develop either.
No he actually got better every year in college. It's pretty easy for anyone who followed his career to see. In fact 2019 he led Pitt to a Coastal crown. 2020 he was having a really good (not great) year before the injury, and he exploded in 2021. Everyone acts like Brady and Manning were these supremely gifted athletes, but that's not true. They were just really good above the neck. These coaches are taking Kenny's biggest strength and ruining it. He looks so indecisive and rattled. He wasn't like that when he came in he was a gun slinger. He looks over coached (incorrectly) and neutered. So scared to make a mistake the he doesn't trust anything.

I replied on twitter that I, too, think Kenny would thrive on a new team with a new OC and different coaching and scheme. He doesn't look like a fit to this type of offense. He was a gunslinger under Whipple, and played loose and confident. I see a type scheme with the Steelers, that doesn't stretch the field, or protect the QB. I appreciate what Kenny did for Pitt and hope that he finds a comfort zone in the NFL to thrive.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
I’ve actually seen people on Twitter defending the OL as good yesterday …

Despite the fact the first two plays from scrimmage were blown up immediately probably both safeties …

I’m still in the same spot… the OC is a moron and the line is trash.. I can’t even comment on Picketts coaching because I’m not seeing it on a daily basis… but I also can’t evaluate any QB based on this mixed bag of nonsense

Now it seems Harris may have suggested Pickens is a problem and there’s lot of stuff the public isn’t aware of…

I see a problematic mess

Despite the fact the first two plays from scrimmage were blown up immediately probably both safeties …

I’m still in the same spot… the OC is a moron and the line is trash.. I can’t even comment on Picketts coaching because I’m not seeing it on a daily basis… but I also can’t evaluate any QB based on this mixed bag of nonsense

Now it seems Harris may have suggested Pickens is a problem and there’s lot of stuff the public isn’t aware of…

I see a problematic mess
Missed that Harris comment. But I’ve stayed away from radio and twitter today. This board is poisonous enough.

I did see the comment where he said (paraphrasing) “I know what needs to be done but it won’t happen”. I took that as needing to fire the OC because the comment was after a game when Warren outperformed him significantly and he’s likely not happy with the coaches. Others took it as him saying that Kenny needs to be sat down. But that’s crazy to me because I can’t imagine the players think a better QB option is on the roster.

I see a problematic mess
Why would you think he was talking about Pickett and not Canada?

Okkorafor was benched for bitching about running the same, unsuccessful play over and over again.

If Okorafor felt this way, I am sure others do as well.

No, the Steelers have not helped Kenny. However, Kenny needs to take some responsibility as well. He's not seeing wide open receivers, his accuracy has been bad, he spins into pressure, stares down receivers, and misses reads. He doesn't look comfortable in the pocket. He likes to roll out all the time.

Most of this is coaching, and Kenny needs a lot of it.

No they are not. Kenny isn't making the decisions or throws he needs to make irrespective of OC and a subpar offensive design.
Yeah I dunno. Why is this? Because the decisions would have to be audibles. The plays called are what he’s going with. Those decisions aren’t his. He’s going with his primary receiver short of the sticks all the time because there’s no time for progressions, especially against that Browns team. Maybe he was seeing ghosts too, after the tone was set by Dan Moore on the first play of the game.

Okkorafor was benched for bitching about running the same, unsuccessful play over and over again.

He said Pickens. Unless he meant Pickett

I am a Pickett guy and refuse to count him as a failure as long as he is expected to succeed in this Canada offense. Canada should have had to hitch hike back to Pittsburgh after that performance yesterday. People are calling for KP to be benched but does anyone believe Trubisky or Rudolph could excel with this play calling.

It is hard to tell.
Agree his demenor is not the same as it was at Pitt.
It just is so hard to know.
Canada literally had ZERO NFL experience until he bumped into Mike Tomlin walking the family dog while he was drawing unemployment. And, I don't have the time to go back through, but in all of his stops as an OC in college, he never had a QB throw for more than 2,600 yards or something along those lines.
He helped Peterman and Brissett be good game managers, but he literally has never ran anything past a serviceable passing offense, again in college.
Yes, he has some limitations, but watching the game yesterday, he had the arm to make the sideline throws Thompson Robinson could not, but Robinson benefited from middle field throws where there a clearly open WR and a throwing lane, which is pretty unicorn event for Canada.

I think the Steelers are poorly coached in general. You've got a head guy who is terrible at hiring assistants. So terrible that after 16 full seasons his coaching tree doesn't have a branch. That's actually pretty hard to do.

Look at his last few OC hires, OL coach hires, his last 2 QB coaches played DB. I could keep going but it's painful.

Kenny was always going to need time to develop and help in the NFL to consistently take his team to the playoffs. Starting his career as a game manager was correct in theory, but awful in practice.

1. The Steelers didn't have a good offensive line in place for a young QB. Bad offensive lines ruin borderline QB prospects all the time. He clearly doesn't trust the line.
2. A good ground game could've taken pressure off Pickett. Instead, they had him throwing a ton early in his career.
3. When you draft a young QB, teams should have a great QB coach or OC. The Steelers have neither and Canada is probably the worst qualified OC in the NFL.
4. The philosophy is predicated entirely on not making mistakes. This limits the throws the QB will make and completely changes the mindset.

I was worried the Steelers wouldn't be the right team to develop Pickett based on the last two years of offensive football we saw with Roethlisberger. It's a very QB unfriendly offense and that has proven to be the case with Ben, Mason, Mitch, and Kenny. A coach like Sean Payton or another offensive guru would've been perfect to develop Pickett.

That isn't saying Pickett has brought a lot of the problems on himself--he has a lot of those. I just don't think the Steelers coaching staff put him in the best position to succeed.

Pickens

Not Pickett

I feel sure Tomlin does not understand all the anguish.

Tomlin has to feel he is handling Kenny right.

In Tomlin's mind, we were one 15 yard completion from a winning FG And a 7-3 record.

Kenny was always going to need time to develop and help in the NFL to consistently take his team to the playoffs. Starting his career as a game manager was correct in theory, but awful in practice.

1. The Steelers didn't have a good offensive line in place for a young QB. Bad offensive lines ruin borderline QB prospects all the time. He clearly doesn't trust the line.
2. A good ground game could've taken pressure off Pickett. Instead, they had him throwing a ton early in his career.
3. When you draft a young QB, teams should have a great QB coach or OC. The Steelers have neither and Canada is probably the worst qualified OC in the NFL.
4. The philosophy is predicated entirely on not making mistakes. This limits the throws the QB will make and completely changes the mindset.

I was worried the Steelers wouldn't be the right team to develop Pickett based on the last two years of offensive football we saw with Roethlisberger. It's a very QB unfriendly offense and that has proven to be the case with Ben, Mason, Mitch, and Kenny. A coach like Sean Payton or another offensive guru would've been perfect to develop Pickett.

That isn't saying Pickett has brought a lot of the problems on himself--he has a lot of those. I just don't think the Steelers coaching staff put him in the best position to succeed.
All great points. To your point (#3), I was not in favor of drafting Kenny because the foundation was not there to succeed right away. The OL was bad, I had no faith in Canada.

When the Steelers drafted Ben, all the pieces were in place. When you draft a QB where the pieces are not in place, you get the first 5 years of Terry Bradshaw, and it wasn't pretty. I admire the way Bradshaw hung in there through it all. He made an amazing metamorphism once the OL got better and the Steelers drafted Swann & Stallworth.

The jury is out. I see this as a bad fit of QB to system. The Steelers aren’t currently built for a young gunslinger to thrive. They are the ultimate Game Manager U with this head coach and OC.
I’m not sure Kenny didn’t peak at Pitt. But a change of teams might be the litmus test. It is clear that the game seems a few rpm’s too fast for him. Canada’s bizarre play calling does not breed confidence.

I feel sure Tomlin does not understand all the anguish.

Tomlin has to feel he is handling Kenny right.

In Tomlin's mind, we were one 15 yard completion from a winning FG And a 7-3 record.
Of course he does. He said as much after the game. His summary was basically... they played a great defense and came up a play or two short. Said it was exactly what he anticipated, and complimented the Browns defense.

The rest of us thought is was an offensive sh!t show.

Reactions: gary2
How would Brady do in a RPO offense?

KP is talented enough but given the O line and OC he has to work with he is destined to fail.

He takes off INTO defenders, not away from them. He almost never steps up in pocket when there is one. He doesn't use the routes open over the middle. He checks down unnecessarily and throws short of the line of gain.....for a start
He had the same problem at Pitt. I'm sure I have posts on here from earlier in his career complaining about the same thing where he ran himself into sacks when he only needed to step up. As he got more comfortable with Whipple's plays this got much better.

He's just not comfortable at all in this offense. The best thing the Steelers could do is pick a few handful of plays that Kenny likes and run them. He throws the 20-25 yard seam and post routes nicely. Plays they never run. They have to threaten the defense and have them respect the entire field.

The missing throws that are easy is bizarre. Seems like he’s uncomfortable and pressing. He’s shown he can do over his career it but he’s not executing.
That's what I mean. At this point it's not a talent thing. Kinda see the same stuff with Cignetti's offense. The QB position is too valuable not to invest quality coaching into. If they gave Kenny quality coaches and he looked like this I would shut up and wait for them to draft a new guy, but they drafted him into a QB hell and let the entire world destroy him. It's hard to watch. I can only imagine how his wife and family feel. I get it he is a professional, but my God. This city has put up with dudes like Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart at qb. Bens and Terry's don't grow on trees in yinzer back yards.

All great points. To your point (#3), I was not in favor of drafting Kenny because the foundation was not there to succeed right away. The OL was bad, I had no faith in Canada.

When the Steelers drafted Ben, all the pieces were in place. When you draft a QB where the pieces are not in place, you get the first 5 years of Terry Bradshaw, and it wasn't pretty. I admire the way Bradshaw hung in there through it all. He made an amazing metamorphism once the OL got better and the Steelers drafted Swann & Stallworth.
And KP doesn’t have near the physical tools that TB did. No one has said KP will be an elite Qb but most think he could be good enough to win a Super Bowl witb the right coaching and talent.

KP has not played well lately especially yesterday but it’s hard to tell if that’s because he’s not good enough or he’s been she’ll shocked from a terrible OL and a moron OC

The missing throws that are easy is bizarre. Seems like he’s uncomfortable and pressing. He’s shown he can do over his career it but he’s not executing.
All qbs miss throws. Watched the rams game and stafford made a number of horrible throws to wide open wrs. KPs are magnified because they don’t throw the ball that often and it’s rare to have an open Wr

He had the same problem at Pitt. I'm sure I have posts on here from earlier in his career complaining about the same thing where he ran himself into sacks when he only needed to step up. As he got more comfortable with Whipple's plays this got much better.

He's just not comfortable at all in this offense. The best thing the Steelers could do is pick a few handful of plays that Kenny likes and run them. He throws the 20-25 yard seam and post routes nicely. Plays they never run. They have to threaten the defense and have them respect the entire field.
I’d add that his OL improved a ton as well and the weapons what got better

Good qbs can get happy feet when their ol is a sieve

All qbs miss throws. Watched the rams game and stafford made a number of horrible throws to wide open wrs. KPs are magnified because they don’t throw the ball that often and it’s rare to have an open Wr
Kenny's are magnified because he rarely makes good throws. When all you're doing is throwing to the sidelines within 5 yards of the LOS, the misses down field or across the middle become more apparent.

Kenny's are magnified because the offensive play calling rarely allows him to make throws down the field When all you're doing is throwing to the sidelines within 5 yards of the LOS, the misses down field or across the middle become more apparent.
Fixed

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think the Steelers are poorly coached in general. You've got a head guy who is terrible at hiring assistants. So terrible that after 16 full seasons his coaching tree doesn't have a branch. That's actually pretty hard to do.

Look at his last few OC hires, OL coach hires, his last 2 QB coaches played DB. I could keep going but it's painful.
He friggen hired Tom Bradley, as a 50+ year old, again without ANY NFL experience, as a db coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT