ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Are the Steelers ruining Kenny Pickett

I’m willing to bet PSU and WVU Steelers fans will blame Kenny, while Pitt fans will blame system.

I love Kenny, but this should have been a slam dunk game winner

Pickens wide open, His defender is running away from him inthe opposite direction.

Kenny actually looking over the middle. Kenny had time. Kenny just held the ball too long.

This is not the same guy. He has been mismanaged, poorly coached, and poorly protected. I'm not saying he has been good. I'm actually saying he has declined more and more as this staff has "coached' him. I was glad he went round 1 but sad he went to this club. I hope they trade him to a club that will actually develop him so he can have a real career....even if it's as a back up. He deserves better than this.
I want the steelers to lose because I am not a steelers football fan. I also want them to lose because I think it is a shame what tomlin and canada have done to this young man's football career. It is pretty obvious why he looks so bad and YES, he does look bad out there. Now I do not know Kenny Pickett personally, but from what I've seen during his time at Pitt, he seems like a nice, respectful person. I can't see Kenny Pickett do anything other then what he has been told to do by tomlin and canada. Quite frankly, the play calling in this pathetic offense has been horrendous.
Hope they continue to lose and Kenny Pickett is released or traded to a team that runs an offense that is better suited to playing professional in 2023.
As a Pitt fan it is painful to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Did Tomlin hire him or did the owner force him on Tomlin.

If this were the case that scenario would speak even WORSE for him.

And while I don't have a particularly high opinion of him, I don't believe one bit that was the case.

Pickens wide open, His defender is running away from him inthe opposite direction.

Kenny actually looking over the middle. Kenny had time. Kenny just held the ball too long.
OK, I went screen to screen on the video from 15 to 17 seconds on that play.

FIrst, once again, Cole hand cuffed him with his snap, firing it in a way that KP has to stop his drop back to try to control the snap.

It is is what it is.

He is looking to the left initially and Austin also is open ... except unfortunately Austin is a midget and Seumalo got stood straight up and while it looked like KP wanted to go to him there was no way for him to actually pass the ball through Seumalo.

He looks to his right and it does look like he was starting to try to pull the trigger to Pickens when Hurst burst through on top of him ... at that point his right foot was planted and it looked like he was starting to pull the trigger, but no way he could step forward on his release, Hurst probably bats the ball at best and possibly it ends up with KP losing control of the ball and a possible fumble.

I do agree that he looks like a hot mess, but a lot of these "open" receivers people are seeing from above are not open in the pocket. One of KPs limitations is while he is not short, he also is not tall or long. These are the kinds of plays that Ben or even Mason Rudolph, could get a pass off that KP struggles to in the NFL.

Reactions: TD_6082
Definitely. I saw what he can do itn

This happens all the time. You don't have to look very hard to find these videos. Dude can't read an NFL defense.

FIrst, once again, Cole hand cuffed him with his snap, firing it in a way that KP has to stop his drop back to try to control the snap.

It is is what it is.

He is looking to the left initially and Austin also is open ... except unfortunately Austin is a midget and Seumalo got stood straight up and while it looked like KP wanted to go to him there was no way for him to actually pass the ball through Seumalo.

He looks to his right and it does look like he was starting to try to pull the trigger to Pickens when Hurst burst through on top of him ... at that point his right foot was planted and it looked like he was starting to pull the trigger, but no way he could step forward on his release, Hurst probably bats the ball at best and possibly it ends up with KP losing control of the ball and a possible fumble.

I do agree that he looks like a hot mess, but a lot of these "open" receivers people are seeing from above are not open in the pocket. One of KPs limitations is while he is not short, he also is not tall or long. These are the kinds of plays that Ben or even Mason Rudolph, could get a pass off that KP struggles to in the NFL.
He caught the snap. He was gathered.

The only worry there was not getting the ball knocked down at the line.

He had enough space. Show some touch. Put a little air under and lead your guy.

You can hit someone that open off your back foot, leaming backwards. You have to get that ball out.

No excuses.

Last edited:
This is not the same guy. He has been mismanaged, poorly coached, and poorly protected. I'm not saying he has been good. I'm actually saying he has declined more and more as this staff has "coached' him. I was glad he went round 1 but sad he went to this club. I hope they trade him to a club that will actually develop him so he can have a real career....even if it's as a back up. He deserves better than this.
He got 2 concussions his rookie year. Everyone forgets that now. He is shell-shocked as well as under schemed. Not the same guy that played here

Reactions: Dan1911
I want the steelers to lose because I am not a steelers football fan. I also want them to lose because I think it is a shame what tomlin and canada have done to this young man's football career. It is pretty obvious why he looks so bad and YES, he does look bad out there. Now I do not know Kenny Pickett personally, but from what I've seen during his time at Pitt, he seems like a nice, respectful person. I can't see Kenny Pickett do anything other then what he has been told to do by tomlin and canada. Quite frankly, the play calling in this pathetic offense has been horrendous.
Hope they continue to lose and Kenny Pickett is released or traded to a team that runs an offense that is better suited to playing professional in 2023.
Thanks,Kennys mom.

This has to be one of the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on here. You hope Kenny is released.

Ouch.

It is is what it is.

Yeah. I'm thinking if he goes to Pickens, it probably gets batted in his face.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Let’s analyze this from a WR stand point. When Ben scrambled his wideouts adjusted and made themselves available to him. How often do Johnson and Pickens do that? When was the last time you heard about them breaking their routes to adjust to Pickett’s movement in the pocket?

Let’s analyze this from a WR stand point. When Ben scrambled his wideouts adjusted and made themselves available to him. How often do Johnson and Pickens do that? When was the last time you heard about them breaking their routes to adjust to Pickett’s movement in the pocket?
Ben was also a lot better at extending plays than Pickett. There's just a big difference there in physical ability.

That was Ben's specialty and he made a lot of plays. How often does Pickett connect on plays when he's on the run? Then again, if the wide receivers aren't helping out then it's hard for him to make the throws.

Ouch.

Yeah. I'm thinking if he goes to Pickens, it probably gets batted in his face

You can hit someone that open off your back foot, leaming backwards. You have to get that ball out.

No excuses.

I replied on twitter that I, too, think Kenny would thrive on a new team with a new OC and different coaching and scheme. He doesn't look like a fit to this type of offense. He was a gunslinger under Whippell, and played loose and confident. I see a type scheme with the Steelers, that doesn't stretch the field, or protect the QB. I appreciate what Kenny did for Pitt and hope that he finds a comfort zone in the NFL to thrive.
Nobody is a fit for Canada’s offense because it’s trash

No excuses.
There are no passing lanes and nobody open with time to deliver a pass .
It’s comical

The Rooney’s make the hired , sadly
It’s why the staff is so small and cheap compared to the rest of the NFL
Assistants to assistants really don’t make that much in terms of an NFL team budget. The Patriots staff is smaller. Is Robert Kraft also cheap?

Assistants to assistants really don’t make that much in terms of an NFL team budget. The Patriots staff is smaller. Is Robert Kraft also cheap?
Yes
It’s also why the oats are terrible post Brady
You think that’s the analogy you’re going with ?

This has to be one of the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on here. You hope Kenny is released.
I sure as hell do because playing here with tomlin as his HC will ruin his NFL career. Make no mistake about it, canada had a terrible offensive philosphy. That being said, I am willing to bet you that it was exactly the game plan that tomlin encouraged canada to use.
I am a Pitt fan, not a steelers fan and I want Kenny Pickett to play in a system that will give him the best chance of having a successful NFL career. Unless something HUGE changes above the removal of canada, it won't be here in Pittsburgh.

Or is Kenny Pickett ruining the Steelers?

He hasn't been very accurate this season and there have been some of the longer throws that it seems he has to really step into to get it there, which it seems contributes to the inaccuracy. I'm not sold on KP really being a long term NFL starting QB at this point.

pickett is an average QB and could really benefit from a great QB coach and offensive system that suits him and keeps defenses guessing

pickett is an average QB and could really benefit from a great QB coach and offensive system that suits him and keeps defenses guessing
Exactly

To date the Steelers run the most predictable offense I think I’ve ever seen

And they try this … uh method… behind one of the worst lines I’ve ever seen

But it’s all Pickett I’m sure

Exactly

To date the Steelers run the most predictable offense I think I’ve ever seen

And they try this … uh method… behind one of the worst lines I’ve ever seen

But it’s all Pickett I’m sure
Don't try to argue with them man. I'm watching the 49ers play right now. Their offense is so creative and balanced. The QB isn't strained at all he is just playing pitch and catch out there. He doesn't even need to go to his 2nd or 3rd read in most cases. People are mostly idiots and don't understand that scheme, coaching, and experience matter in the NFL. They would rather just say this guy or that guy is trash because it requires less actual knowledge.

Don't try to argue with them man. I'm watching the 49ers play right now. Their offense is so creative and balanced. The QB isn't strained at all he is just playing pitch and catch out there. He doesn't even need to go to his 2nd or 3rd read in most cases. People are mostly idiots and don't understand that scheme, coaching, and experience matter in the NFL. They would rather just say this guy or that guy is trash because it requires less actual knowledge.
Well that and none of the Steelers wr would start for the niners and none of the TEs would be on the niners roster and then there’s McCaffrey. Not arguing scheme doesn’t matter but the niners have weapons at each position the Steelers don’t come close to having. Makes the qbs job so much easier

Well that and none of the Steelers wr would start for the niners and none of the TEs would be on the niners roster and then there’s McCaffrey. Not arguing scheme doesn’t matter but the niners have weapons at each position the Steelers don’t come close to having. Makes the qbs job so much easier
Yeah you're absolutely correct but these delusional yinzers (I live in pgh so I'm allowed to label) can't dissect any one that and have somehow convinced themselves that Diontae Dropson who we weren't even sure would get a second contract is Santonio Holmes 2.0. 😂. I always laugh when people argue the Steelers have soooooo many weapons. They can definitely be better but we are not an offensive juggernaut that's being held back by "little Ken Pickett" No on criticizes the line, the receivers, TEs just Kenny. Only player who could legit point fingers is Warren and he ain't that type of dude.

Yeah you're absolutely correct but these delusional yinzers (I live in pgh so I'm allowed to label) can't dissect any one that and have somehow convinced themselves that Diontae Dropson who we weren't even sure would get a second contract is Santonio Holmes 2.0. 😂. I always laugh when people argue the Steelers have soooooo many weapons. They can definitely be better but we are not an offensive juggernaut that's being held back by "little Ken Pickett" No on criticizes the line, the receivers, TEs just Kenny. Only player who could legit point fingers is Warren and he ain't that type of dude.
DJ is good at getting open, but he seems to be running some wrong routes this year. I know he said otherwise. QBs are usually right. Pickens can be lazy with his, not running hard the entire time. Freiermuth regressed and Austin has shown he can run past people (we don't throw deep). The running back duo is solid, nothing special. I do think Warren should be used more in the passing game. There just isn't enough game-breaking potential in this group. If Pickett showed he was the future, I would've been a strong advocate to go out and get him a true No. 1 as the Dolphins did with Hill or the Eagles with Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT