ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Question For Steelers Fans

Do you think you could get a first round pick for Pickens? If so would you trade him?
I would definitely. I might be in the minority but I think he’s overrated. If he keeps his head on straight he will have a long career but that’s a big if.

And if Claypool yielded what he did, Pickens should yield the same or more.

So yeah I’d trade him in a second.

I would definitely. I might be in the minority but I think he’s overrated. If he keeps his head on straight he will have a long career but that’s a big if.

And if Claypool yielded what he did, Pickens should yield the same or more.

So yeah I’d trade him in a second.
Interesting. The way people talk about the kid I assumed his perceived upside was too great to trade away, but from the outside he seems like a headache waiting to happen.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Do you think you could get a first round pick for Pickens? If so would you trade him?
Interesting. The way people talk about the kid I assumed his perceived upside was too great to trade away, but from the outside he seems like a headache waiting to happen.
Dude is a freak. Some of the catches he makes are inhuman. There’s no doubt. But his head and his route running are big question marks. So I wouldn’t be afraid to trade him. You might be blasted for doing so especially if he takes his game to another level. But I’d take that risk for a rookie receiver draft pick with two additional years of control and who is more level headed.

He's a 1,500-yard 10 TD guy on a team with a real QB. He'd definitely fetch a first round pick.

And I'd have moved him for most of the season, but I changed my mind toward the end. Let's see what he and Russell Wilson can do.

Dude is a freak. Some of the catches he makes are inhuman. There’s no doubt. But his head and his route running are big question marks. So I wouldn’t be afraid to trade him. You might be blasted for doing so especially if he takes his game to another level. But I’d take that risk for a rookie receiver draft pick with two additional years of control and who is more level headed.
Good explanation.

You dudes act like his petulant behavior wasnt seen by all. No way on earth you get a first round pick for him. Literally would need a foolish GM like Poles to screw himself in order to get a 1

Reactions: 303vND
He’s by far our best WR
Its silliness
I don't know that it is non sense. Lots of people said they would. Steelers brought in a new no non sense WR Coach. All their receiver (Claypool included) over the last few years were butt heads that thought they were better than they are, have been cancers, and may not be correctable. This is a good WR class, but they also have other needs. If someone gives them a 1st for him it isn't crazy to go out and draft a true #1 with a fresh OC and receiver coach and try to change that culture by bringing in a vet like Tyler Boyd to mold the group. I don't see a single leader in that group. But hey it was just a hypothetical. Chances are it will never happen. They are more likely to move on from the other cancer (Johnson).

I don't know that it is non sense. Lots of people said they would. Steelers brought in a new no non sense WR Coach. All their receiver (Claypool included) over the last few years were butt heads that thought they were better than they are, have been cancers, and may not be correctable. This is a good WR class, but they also have other needs. If someone gives them a 1st for him it isn't crazy to go out and draft a true #1 with a fresh OC and receiver coach and try to change that culture by bringing in a vet like Tyler Boyd to mold the group. I don't see a single leader in that group. But hey it was just a hypothetical. Chances are it will never happen. They are more likely to move on from the other cancer (Johnson).
Lots of people are stupid
George isn’t a problem -
It’s a stupid media narrative because sports talk radio has nothing actually interesting to say .
So it’s a tabloid instead . Its soap operas for yinzers

I love Boyd but you want an old slot receiver - and get rid of a human highlight reel freak athlete on a rookie contract ?

Reactions: passedout
Lots of people are stupid
George isn’t a problem -
It’s a stupid media narrative because sports talk radio has nothing actually interesting to say .
So it’s a tabloid instead . Its soap operas for yinzers

I love Boyd but you want an old slot receiver - and get rid of a human highlight reel freak athlete on a rookie contract ?
Weird. The head coach who thinks he can fix everyone actually acknowledged to the media that he’s a problem, which is totally uncharacteristic of Tomlin. That was like 2-3 weeks after scoffing at the media for having the nerve to even think that he was a problem. So someone might want to get your memo to Tomlin.

But all of this is up to George. He hasn’t gone off the diva deep end yet. He’s still salvageable. But to act like they can’t replace their “best receiver” with a new “best receiver” is silly talk.

Reactions: passedout
Weird. The head coach who thinks he can fix everyone actually acknowledged to the media that he’s a problem, which is totally uncharacteristic of Tomlin. That was like 2-3 weeks after scoffing at the media for having the nerve to even think that he was a problem. So someone might want to get your memo to Tomlin.

But all of this is up to George. He hasn’t gone off the diva deep end yet. He’s still salvageable. But to act like they can’t replace their “best receiver” with a new “best receiver” is silly talk.
He’s still of a rookie deal for 2 more years plus the option year .
You think you’re going to upgrade over his production ?
Long odds

Yep-
It’s this simple .
I'd argue even with Pickens Steelers are bottom 5 in the NFL (maybe even bottom 2-3) in terms of WR talent (or I guess even more so WR combined with TE talent). You move Pickens and Steelers are definitely the worst receiving group in the NFL.

Last edited:
No and why would you trade him ?
Exactly. You don't trade him. He still has 2 years at a pretty sweet price tag. The only way it makes sense is if you can trade him for something that will certainly net you more than keeping him does. For me, I'd require a #1 and a #2. My ask would go down after next season as he heads into the last year of his contract. But at this exact point, I wouldn't budge.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I definitely wouldn't trade Pickens but I hope PIT tries to trade Dionte. With one year left on his deal, the Steelers would save $10 million in cap space and could net a 2nd and a 5th.

No fifth-round pick for the Steelers in this draft.

I'd argue even with Pickens Steelers are bottom 5 in the NFL (maybe even bottom 2-3) in terms of WR talent (or I guess even more so WR combined with TE talent). You move Pickens and Steelers are definitely the worst receiving group in the NFL.

If Pickens was your WR2 and Johnson was your slot WR3 - the stillers would be in the top half of the league in terms of the WR talent.

They really need to hit on a first round talent to be average at that position so no I would not be trading Pickens. Johnson, I would jump on a 2nd round pick (then sign TBoyd).

If Pickens was your WR2 and Johnson was your slot WR3 - the stillers would be in the top half of the league in terms of the WR talent.

They really need to hit on a first round talent to be average at that position so no I would not be trading Pickens. Johnson, I would jump on a 2nd round pick (then sign TBoyd).
I mean - but who even are those type of guys ?
Boyd is an Alan Robinson replacement at best.
He’ll make $10mil a year in his next deal . Is that actually a value add ?

Long odds

Long odds
I actually do. Someone has to be the recipient of that production. Someone else can absorb those lofty 67 yards per game that he averaged. It’s like with a lowly hockey or basketball team…someone has to get the PP ice time and put the puck in the net. Mike Bullard was a 40 goal scorer with Pens before Mario. Why? Because he was the #1 option. Someone else can be the #1 steeler option. Trading him could blow up in their faces. It wouldn’t be the first time an athlete excels after a team deals him. But I’d take that risk if the WR class were deep.

I actually do. Someone has to be the recipient of that production. Someone else can absorb those lofty 67 yards per game that he averaged. It’s like with a lowly hockey or basketball team…someone has to get the PP ice time and put the puck in the net. Mike Bullard was a 40 goal scorer with Pens before Mario. Why? Because he was the #1 option. Someone else can be the #1 steeler option. Trading him could blow up in their faces. It wouldn’t be the first time an athlete excels after a team deals him. But I’d take that risk if the WR class were deep.
1100+ yards season
Here ‘s a list of recent receivers who’ve done it
Dionte x1 year
Juju x 1 year
AB x5
santonio Holmes x1
Mike Wallace x3
Hines x3

You dudes act like his petulant behavior wasnt seen by all. No way on earth you get a first round pick for him. Literally would need a foolish GM like Poles to screw himself in order to get a 1

He ain't Moss, but the situations aren't all that different: A team like KC could easily get some good/non-psychotic years out of him. You can usually keep these guys sane if you're winning. I think they, and probably a few other contenders, would part with a late 1st in a heartbeat for a guy with Pickens' clout.

anyone and everyone would, cant imagine there is a gm on this planet that would give up a first rd pick for him though..

Last year's first round picks:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba: 63 catches, 628 yards

Quentin Johnston: 38 catches, 431 yards

Zay Flowers: 77 catches, 858 yards

Jordan Addison: 70 catches, 911 yards

And none of those guys were in offenses that were getting national circus-like attention every week.

George Pickens: 63 catches, 1,140 yards

So when you combine his production with the uniqueness of his skill set, I think it's a no-brainer that he would fetch a 1st round pick. And probably more importantly than any of that is what is available in the draft this year. Most of the mocks I've seen seem to have Harrison Jr, Nabers, and Odunze pretty high... and then there is a drop-off.

He's a 1,500-yard 10 TD guy on a team with a real QB. He'd definitely fetch a first round pick.

And I'd have moved him for most of the season, but I changed my mind toward the end. Let's see what he and Russell Wilson can do.
That's why instead of being weak asses as the Steelers traditionally are, instead of trading Pickens I'D PAY what I have to pay to BUY a real QB, I'd SELL DEFENSE to pay for it if I had too, nothing matters more than QB. You won't win playing D and protecting the ball and running any time after 1975.

That's why instead of being weak asses as the Steelers traditionally are, instead of trading Pickens I'D PAY what I have to pay to BUY a real QB, I'd SELL DEFENSE to pay for it if I had too, nothing matters more than QB. You won't win playing D and protecting the ball and running any time after 1975.
there are about 6 really good QBs in the league, that's it. just go buy one, it's that easy huh?

its just an endless commodity out there and you just go buy one. go to the QB store, bring your credit card and go get one. what an insightful thought, just hope other NFL Gms dont read these boards or they'll steal your idea.

I'd bring in Russell Wilson. Not sure what it would cost. I know there are some out there who think it could be done for the vet minimum, but I think you'd have to offer him a multi-year deal because there are going to be a few bidders. So it depends what the guaranteed money would be, because I'm only interested in him if it's low. I wouldn't break the bank for Kirk Cousins. Fields.... mehhhh.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
I'd bring in Russell Wilson. Not sure what it would cost. I know there are some out there who think it could be done for the vet minimum, but I think you'd have to offer him a multi-year deal because there are going to be a few bidders. So it depends what the guaranteed money would be, because I'm only interested in him if it's low. I wouldn't break the bank for Kirk Cousins. Fields.... mehhhh.
apparently the broncos have to eat most of his contract regardless. dont know the particulars on that though.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
apparently the broncos have to eat most of his contract regardless. dont know the particulars on that though.

Yeah, they do. But I think the whole "sign him for the vet minimum" thing only comes into play if there are no other bidders for him. Like he's getting his guaranteed money from Denver regardless (or he already got it and they're just taking the numeric cap hit - not sure how it was structured), but I think teams can still sweeten his next deal in an effort to entice him. At least that's my understanding of it.

there are about 6 really good QBs in the league, that's it. just go buy one, it's that easy huh?

its just an endless commodity out there and you just go buy one. go to the QB store, bring your credit card and go get one. what an insightful thought, just hope other NFL Gms dont read these boards or they'll steal your idea.
Yeah that’s the thing. Most who bash Kenny compare him to Allen, Mahomes,Burrow, etc. I see it all the time here and even with the “expert” media. Kinda unfair I would thing huh?

Another thing, I have been watching old steeler games recently. And every game I watch I see Ben making plays that Kenny wouldn’t make in a million years. But again, comparing Kenny to another HOF QB is a bit unfair.

I don't understand how this helps the Steelers. Sure they get a high draft pick, but then they would have to spend one of those on a WR to replace Pickens. So it is like spinning the hamster wheel.

Yeah that’s the thing. Most who bash Kenny compare him to Allen, Mahomes,Burrow, etc. I see it all the time here and even with the “expert” media. Kinda unfair I would thing huh?

Another thing, I have been watching old steeler games recently. And every game I watch I see Ben making plays that Kenny wouldn’t make in a million years. But again, comparing Kenny to another HOF QB is a bit unfair.

My thing is that he doesn't even compare favorably to guys like Geno Smith/Sam Howe/Will Levis/etc. when it comes to the eye test. To be fair, I'm talking about those guys' highlight plays, when it comes to chucking the ball downfield for a great throw. But that's the problem - Kenny Pickett was never going to be that, so he was always going to have to succeed with pinpoint accuracy and the ability to read the field much better than those guys. And not only has he not been elite in either of those facets; he's actually been poor in them. So there just isn't anything for him to hang his hat on, honestly.

Plus, defenses have changed and gotten so confusing that you almost need a guy with elite tangibles anymore to make a few playground plays here and there... unless you have all the offensive pieces in place, which few teams do.

Reactions: Pitt79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT