ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Question For Steelers Fans

Eh, that's more of a 2022 conclusion, and then people just didn't pay attention last season. Obviously his production has dipped a bit, but compare last season to some others in his career:

I'd kick the tires on him. Tannehill would be depressing. You honestly want him over Wilson?
Kenny is the starter
We just need a vet for a backup
Accept that

Yeah like running a slant where both the DB and Safety misplay it is a great route. My daughter can run a slant in the weekend police league.
Your daughter better get to the combine , then-
Because Pickens is frequently dusting nfl defenders

He broke a couple of slants when future HOF qb Rudy came in and they played an awful Cinci defense and the Ravens scrubs.

There’s a reason why he’s in the bottom half of receivers in separation
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant 80.

• Haha
Reactions: pittbb80
I'd argue even with Pickens Steelers are bottom 5 in the NFL (maybe even bottom 2-3) in terms of WR talent (or I guess even more so WR combined with TE talent). You move Pickens and Steelers are definitely the worst receiving group in the NFL.
No way. There's way worse out there:

Pats, Giants, Cardinals, Titans, Panthers,

Falcons, Colts, Saints, Browns, Ravens, Bears, and Jets are all just 1 guy deep

Broncos and Commanders are all meh guys

I'm fairly low on the Steelers WR but we're top half of the league

Reactions: PittPharm2002

I was bullish on Calvin Austin. He didn’t show much in this offense. Hoping the new regime can make him a weapon.

It was a bad situation for Russell in Denver. First year he was coached by a Hackett, so the odds were stacked right there.

Last year, Sean Payton just never seemed to mesh with Wilson. There was that five-game winning streak when DEN beat CLE, KC, BUF, GB and Minnesota and he threw 9 TDs and zero INTs.

I’m not sure Wilson’s ego will let him sign a contract that is team friendly. If he is willing then I hope PIT looks hard at signing him.
His game log in those games:

22 attempts - 134 yards, 1 TD
19 attempts - 114 yards, 3 TDs
29 attempts - 193 yards, 2 TDs
29 attempts - 194 yards, 1 TD
35 attempts - 259 yards, 1 TD

So in his peak performance mode, he threw for over 200 yards once, under 200 4 times, and under 150 twice. The Vikings and Packers were also both pretty mid against the pass.

Russ is basically Kenny Pickett except he sometimes throws TDs, has a $40 million per year cap hit, and has had two pretty weird falling-outs with various NFL teams. No thanks.

His game log in those games:

22 attempts - 134 yards, 1 TD
19 attempts - 114 yards, 3 TDs
29 attempts - 193 yards, 2 TDs
29 attempts - 194 yards, 1 TD
35 attempts - 259 yards, 1 TD

So in his peak performance mode, he threw for over 200 yards once, under 200 4 times, and under 150 twice. The Vikings and Packers were also both pretty mid against the pass.

Russ is basically Kenny Pickett except he sometimes throws TDs, has a $40 million per year cap hit, and has had two pretty weird falling-outs with various NFL teams. No thanks.
He still won them and he isn't going to have a $40-million cap hit with a new team.

"Sometimes throws TDs" is a better alternative at the moment. The Steelers rank last since 2022 with 25 touchdown passes. The Jets of all teams rank ahead of the Steelers.

I'm all for turning over every stone to find competition for Pickett as long as his name isn't Tannehill.

I was bullish on Calvin Austin. He didn’t show much in this offense. Hoping the new regime can make him a weapon.
He doesn’t stay healthy or make much impact

It’s wild to me that a part time gadget guy gets benefit of the doubt-
But a big and fast receiver who actually produces and makes big plays regularly - has fans chasing him off the roster .

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Guess which receiver has the most yards per reception in the NFL ?
I’ll give you a hint -
George Pickens at 18.1 YPR
Yeah again…that’s not the point. The point is what he does before the catch. You simpletons only consider what he does when the ball is thrown his way. If he did more before the catch, he’d probably have 40 more catches and 720 more yards.

You act like the dude has all kinds of separation and that Kenny just refuses to throw him the ball.

Reactions: pittdan77
I like the idea of seeing a TD pass sometimes, wish Kenny could throw those :)

Guess which receiver has the most yards per reception in the NFL ?
I’ll give you a hint -
George Pickens at 18.1 YPR
That's the stat that was Brennan Marion's claim to fame, held the NCAA all time record in yards per reception. He never played a down in a regular season NFL game -- it didn't translate into him being an elite level receiver.

I'd switch Steelers TEs and receivers probably with any of those teams you listed with the exception of Cards, Giants, or Pats, although the Pats' and Cards' TEs smoked us.

Last edited:
I'd switch Steelers TEs and receivers probably with any of those teams you listed with the exception of Cards, Giants, or Pats, although the Pats' and Cards' TEs smoked us.

Personally, I think Carolina has the worst, no way would I exchange with them.

Yeah again…that’s not the point. The point is what he does before the catch. You simpletons only consider what he does when the ball is thrown his way. If he did more before the catch, he’d probably have 40 more catches and 720 more yards.

You act like the dude has all kinds of separation and that Kenny just refuses to throw him the ball.
I accept the error of the argument regarding the stats

What is the deal with this team ? They play harder with certain players in ?
It all starts at the top IMO. The two moron WR's we have now are both head cases.
Please bring in Tyler Boyd .

Respectfully, you're just wrong then.

By way of example, DeAndre Hopkins will be 32 at the start of next season and Treylon Burks and Nick Westbrook-Akhine's total career production in 6 years is about the same as Pickens's 2023 season.

pickens production went up dramatically when Mason came in over pickett and mitch. its really a no brainer why him and dionte are openly pushing for Mason..

that's what frustrates me with pickett, i know he has the ability to make the throws downfield but damned if he doesnt just duck and panic at the first glimpse of trouble. and now he's being openly criticized for his courage in the pocket by everyone both locally and nationally.

i love pickett but just cant discount these criticisms.

Then be mad at George and Diontae for dropping so many.
They dropped maybe one or two total that would have been TDs that I can think of, Diontae actually caught that one that Tomlin should have challenged vs Cincy, can't think of any others that were dropped that where sure TDs, name a few? Kenny is more to blame for lack of TD passes than his receivers are. You just don't want Kenny to be to blame, but he is.

Pickens lead the nfl with 18.1 YPC
He ranked 16th in Yards after catch last year
Your facts don’t add up
Those are misguided numbers - if you don't have that many catches then of course your numbers go up if you get a couple 80 yard catch and runs. As PittBB80 noted - he's last in separation. But nice try.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and Pitt79
im actually kind of siding with souf on this one. i was down on pickens big time first 1/2 of the year but with mason at qb, someone throwing it downfield and not just the one shot at a back shoulder throw, but actually throwing it to him in stride, the guy can make a short play into a home run. That's not something you find easily in this league..

so im sort of jumping back on the bandwagon with him.. he COULD be a special player as long as we have a qb who can get it to him and an OC who can actually use him correctly and not just that dumb back shoulder throw once a game like canada did.

Those are misguided numbers - if you don't have that many catches then of course your numbers go up if you get a couple 80 yard catch and runs. As PittBB80 noted - he's last in separation. But nice try.
You sound like the ground and pound lovin' Yinzer that would complain that TAKE AWAY THAT 85 YARD RUN and Willie Parker wouldn't be averaging 5ypc but you see you can't take it away because it really happened and was a good thing, just like Pickens 80-yard catch and runs, they count just the same.

They dropped maybe one or two total that would have been TDs that I can think of, Diontae actually caught that one that Tomlin should have challenged vs Cincy, can't think of any others that were dropped that where sure TDs, name a few? Kenny is more to blame for lack of TD passes than his receivers are. You just don't want Kenny to be to blame, but he is.
He threw for so few attempts that those 2 drops would have raised his TD rate almost a whole percent. So it's a big deal to drop 2.

And Kenny is to blame for missing wide open WR to the extent that he had a normal time to process the play.

I think he will be better this year with a professional OC and not a guy who got hired simply because he was Tomlin's friend.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He threw for so few attempts that those 2 drops would have raised his TD rate almost a whole percent. So it's a big deal to drop 2.

And Kenny is to blame for missing wide open WR to the extent that he had a normal time to process the play.

I think he will be better this year with a professional OC and not a guy who got hired simply because he was Tomlin's friend.

Kenny is dead last in TD %, if he had 2 more TDs he'd only jump to 30th from 32nd. And to be fair we'd have to go to the guys ahead of him and count all the TDs their WRs dropped :)

Reactions: BTisinDC
pickens production went up dramatically when Mason came in over pickett and mitch. its really a no brainer why him and dionte are openly pushing for Mason..

that's what frustrates me with pickett, i know he has the ability to make the throws downfield but damned if he doesnt just duck and panic at the first glimpse of trouble. and now he's being openly criticized for his courage in the pocket by everyone both locally and nationally.

i love pickett but just cant discount these criticisms.
Also correlated with Canada being gone for two weeks and playing soup cans on defense as well as the third string Ravens defense. KP had similar stats against the Bungles and was playing well before he got hurt against the cardinals.

It's weird how any thread about the Steelers devolves into a debate about Kenny. Some people have a clear agenda. It seems like most people would pull the trigger on a 1st rounder for Pickens, but the argument against was logical as well. He seems like a big gamble, he will either grow up and into an absolute stud, or have a weird M. Bryant like decent because his attitude sucks. Thanks to everyone who posted on the topic, I appreciate all the intelligent debates.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
It's weird how any thread about the Steelers devolves into a debate about Kenny. Some people have a clear agenda.
we all have a clear agenda, on both sides of the kenny debate. people bashing him have an agenda, people supporting him no matter what, have an agenda.

honestly, i hope and pray and would LOVE for him to be the qb for steelers that we saw at pitt. WOULD LOVE IT.
my agenda is not wanting to throw my tv out the window every single time kenny drops back, doesnt see two open wrs and does a 360 degree twist into the waiting arms of a Defensive linemen and instead just throws the freakin ball downfield.

how about that agenda.

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT