ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I will say it. Saquon Barkley is the most overrated player

The assessment is on 100% of his carries- 1 long run (or 3%), 27 carries at 2.5 ypc (97%). That's all 28 of his carries (100% of his carries). That's the 3rd time restating the exact same thing differently- hopefully you can grasp it this time. If not, maybe it's time to step away from the message board for a bit.

Nope. The assertion is that Barkley stinks and it's based on 97% of his runs.

I hate UPS more than the next guy. But I would wait 2 years, not 2 games to write off Barkley. The jury is still out. I will say the Giants are nuts to take him that high.

Remember, I didn't say he sucks. I don't think he is going to be Curtis Enis. But I would also be surprised if he matches Franco or Dorsett or even Shady's success in the NFL.

The Barkley hype is a bit much. They show his one long run and act like he's already the best back in the league, but ignore the other 20 carries. The OL play is a part of it, but remember, Hackenberg only sucked at Penn State because of the OL...oh wait.

Barkley is a talented back, but he has to show more before he lives up to the hype he gets.

Reactions: freddietee511
The assessment is on 100% of his carries- 1 long run (or 3%), 27 carries at 2.5 ypc (97%). That's all 28 of his carries (100% of his carries). That's the 3rd time restating the exact same thing differently- hopefully you can grasp it this time. If not, maybe it's time to step away from the message board for a bit.

How's the assessment looking now?

Barry Sanders would average 2 yards a carry for 10 carries then break a 70 yarder, he is in the hall of fame. I don't like Barkley either but he can break one at any time. PITT had him stuffed for most of last years game then McSorely hits him for 3 big pass plays.

Reactions: Jpripper88
How's the assessment looking now?

He’s having a nice game.

Christian McCaffery (the current player most comparable to Barkley) ran for double what Barkley did.

I don’t think anyone is saying that he sucks, just that it’s a little early for his HOF induction.

Barkley will be an average NFL back
Honestly, after watching him throughout his high school career, I said many times- he only runs very fast to the sideline and was soft. He's a completely different runner now.

200 yards 3 TDs on 22 carries (in 3 quarters). Most importantly, only 1 carry that was under 3 yards and he mostly ran between the tackles.

On the season 495 yards 9 TD on 7 ypc in 4 games.
I've said this time and time again on this site.
Mrs Buffett and I watched him play alot for Whitehall since Whitehall is in the conference ( Lehigh Valley Conf) where our kids played.
When he gets hit hard over and over again he slows down.
He'll get big yards on one or two runs and the remainder of runs are for small change.
He does catch the ball well which will save him and extend his NFL career.

Barkley will be an average NFL back

I've said this time and time again on this site.
Mrs Buffett and I watched him play alot for Whitehall since Whitehall is in the conference ( Lehigh Valley Conf) where our kids played.
When he gets hit hard over and over again he slows down.
He'll get big yards on one or two runs and the remainder of runs are for small change.
He does catch the ball well which will save him and extend his NFL career.

This, yet again, is completely wrong. You keep trying to sell this like nobody saw him the last 3 years get hit like a million times behind a putrid OL. Guess what, kid still went 2nd overall after 3 years in college. Let your weird high school grudge go (both of your personalities).

Lol. The kid gets the majority of his yards after contact. Buffet and his wife should probably ease up on the drinking.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
I don't remember what district he is in, but from what I do remember, Barkley absolutely obliterated them. Hence the odd grudge against a kid in high school by grown ass adults.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
in the last decade. He was a good back in college. Not great. He will be a good back in the NFL. Not great.

Look at Miles Sanders. Barkley was all hype.

Barkley is soooooo overrated. Every once in a while a big run, every other run get shut down.

My head was exploding last year when after every week people talked about him as a freak and a Heisman winner.

Then clowns like Herbie said he was best rb prospect in 10-20 years?!!! Not nearly as good as Zeke

Anyone who judges a RB by pure stats doesn't understand how offenses work. Most of Barkley's impact isn't measured in stats. In the games where he's "stuffed," or only getting 2-3 ypc, are the games where the defense is assigning 2-3 guys on him. This frees up the receivers, allowing the QB to torch the other team through the air.

Look at PSU's games last year. In the games where Barkley had the lowest rushing numbers, they had crazy passing stats. Barkley caused that. In the games where they shut down the passing, Barkley had crazy rushing stats. A good example of that was the Iowa game from last year, where Barkley took over. He makes a defense pick their poison. That's why he was so highly valued by so many teams, media, NFL.

Reactions: Mudge1026
Anyone who judges a RB by pure stats doesn't understand how offenses work. Most of Barkley's impact isn't measured in stats. In the games where he's "stuffed," or only getting 2-3 ypc, are the games where the defense is assigning 2-3 guys on him. This frees up the receivers, allowing the QB to torch the other team through the air.

Look at PSU's games last year. In the games where Barkley had the lowest rushing numbers, they had crazy passing stats. Barkley caused that. In the games where they shut down the passing, Barkley had crazy rushing stats. A good example of that was the Iowa game from last year, where Barkley took over. He makes a defense pick their poison. That's why he was so highly valued by so many teams, media, NFL.

-There she goes again, talking about Penn State and the Big Ten. Welcome to the Pitt board, nitter.

-Penn State is NFL bust U

Just saw this on my ESPN fantasy update.

Saquon Barkley scored 22.7 PPR fantasy points on Sunday, his third straight game with at least 20. He's only the fourth player since 1950 to score at least that many in each of his first three career NFL games, joining Marcus Allen, Robert Griffin III and Kareem Hunt.

What are you doing, HailtoPitt? Don't you know that if you say anything that's considered even remotely logical, you're gonna be labeled as a Nitter?! Be careful!

His long today was 24 yards. Yet, still had over 100 total yards and a TD. With an OL that people say stinks. You just don't like him because he played for PSU.

Dude what in the hell are you talking about with this “over 100 yards” shit? You remind me of those PSU fans last year that would add in his return yards when comparing him to other backs that didn't return kicks. Cut the crap.

He’s a good back now and probably will be for a long time, but that’s it. There were people on this board last year saying he would revolutionize the position and be the best back of all time, they know who they are and that just isn’t happening.

If he was returning kicks in the NFL maybe he would be special but that’s not happening. He’s somewhere between Reggie Bush and Christian McCaffery, which is good but hardly transcendent.

Get off his jock and let the guys career play out, you’re probably going to be slightly disappointed.

Dude what in the hell are you talking about with this “over 100 yards” shit? You remind me of those PSU fans last year that would add in his return yards when comparing him to other backs that didn't return kicks. Cut the crap.

He’s a good back now and probably will be for a long time, but that’s it. There were people on this board last year saying he would revolutionize the position and be the best back of all time, they know who they are and that just isn’t happening.

If he was returning kicks in the NFL maybe he would be special but that’s not happening. He’s somewhere between Reggie Bush and Christian McCaffery, which is good but hardly transcendent.

Get off his jock and let the guys career play out, you’re probably going to be slightly disappointed.

Some seem to suggest that be is just average. He is very good.

Reactions: paulbl99
Some seem to suggest that be is just average. He is very good.

He is certainly better than average, but don’t see any way that he will ever be the best back in the league.

I’m only reacting to those that acted like he was already Walter Payton or Barry Sanders.

If you offered me a choice between Barkley and Todd Gurley right now I’d take Gurley in a second, and so would anyone else with a clue.

I don’t know if I’d write off Barkley as overrated just yet. Three games into his pro career. Besides, Jamarcus Russell says hello.

This thread is friggin rich

-On one hand of the spectrum someone says Barkley is overrated, maybe he is. On the other hand of the spectrum, did a complete imbecile seriously compare Barkley to Barry Sanders? If that is the case, Barkley is the most overrated player in sports history. Hell, he's the most overrated sports athlete in the history of the Universe. Hahaha at Barkley

-I got a laugh from the nitter talking about how college success has something to do with the NFL. Barry Sanders had almost 3000 yards in college with 37 rush td's. In 1 single season in college, one. SSS, please take a break from the computer.

-On one hand of the spectrum someone says Barkley is overrated, maybe he is. On the other hand of the spectrum, did a complete imbecile seriously compare Barkley to Barry Sanders? If that is the case, Barkley is the most overrated player in sports history. Hell, he's the most overrated sports athlete in the history of the Universe. Hahaha at Barkley

-I got a laugh from the nitter talking about how college success has something to do with the NFL. Barry Sanders had almost 3000 yards in college with 37 rush td's. In 1 single season in college, one. SSS, please take a break from the computer.

We agree on something for once.

If you go back and look at the Barkley threads last year it’s hard to believe how hard some people on this board were hyping him. It was incredible actually.

I'm not sure why you're telling me about Barry Sanders. I'm not the one who compared them. I think it would be ridiculous to compare him to ANYONE after 3 games, let alone one of the greatest RBs of all time.

My post was merely an answer to those who were judging Barkley just based on pure stats.

We agree on something for once.

If you go back and look at the Barkley threads last year it’s hard to believe how hard some people on this board were hyping him. It was incredible actually.

Barkley is as fast/shifty as any college RB ever. However, he's not a smart RB because he tries to get 60 every play instead of taking 3-4 yards

Barkley is as fast/shifty as any college RB ever. However, he's not a smart RB because he tries to get 60 every play instead of taking 3-4 yards

"Fast/shifty as any college back ever"?
For the record he wasn't even the fastest RB at the combines this year - let alone "ever"

1. Nyheim Hines, NCST, 4.38
2. Saquon Barkley, PSU, 4.40
T3. Kalen Ballage, ASU, 4.46
T3. Rashaad Penny, SDSU, 4.46
5. Derrius Guice, LSU, 4.49

Lets wait till the season is over - but the hype is not backed up by results so far.

"Fast/shifty as any college back ever"?
For the record he wasn't even the fastest RB at the combines this year - let alone "ever"

1. Nyheim Hines, NCST, 4.38
2. Saquon Barkley, PSU, 4.40
T3. Kalen Ballage, ASU, 4.46
T3. Rashaad Penny, SDSU, 4.46
5. Derrius Guice, LSU, 4.49

Lets wait till the season is over - but the hype is not backed up by results so far.

LOL. Damn. Some of you are really hating on him because he played for PSU. Now, because he was the second fastest he gets criticized? Wow.

He's not criticizing Barkley. He's simply stating a fact to disprove an opinion.

If this was a pedst thing, explain the positive comments about Miles Sanders here.

LOL. Damn. Some of you are really hating on him because he played for PSU. Now, because he was the second fastest he gets criticized? Wow.

Just saw this on my ESPN fantasy update.

Saquon Barkley scored 22.7 PPR fantasy points on Sunday, his third straight game with at least 20. He's only the fourth player since 1950 to score at least that many in each of his first three career NFL games, joining Marcus Allen, Robert Griffin III and Kareem Hunt.
fantasy points? seriously?

a guy has ten carries for 180 yds and no tds gets 18 points while a guy with 15 carries for 30 yards and 3 tds gets 21 and this is your yardstick for the better performance?

Last edited:
What are you doing, HailtoPitt? Don't you know that if you say anything that's considered even remotely logical, you're gonna be labeled as a Nitter?! Be careful!

Logical? Is it logical that the only posting a supposed Pitt fan does on a Pitt message board is to defend PSU and/or the Big10? Perfectly logical to me.

If he doesnt get hurt, he will be one of the best backs in the league for a long time. Everything else in the thread is people tripping over there Penn State haterade.

Penn State RBs have usually been busts in the NFL, since Franco and Lydell Mitchell.

If he doesnt get hurt, he will be one of the best backs in the league for a long time. Everything else in the thread is people tripping over there Penn State haterade.
sure, but it has as much validity as your supposition that he will be one of the best backs in the league for a long time based on three games with an average of 72 rushing yards per heavily skewed by one long run ...

sure, but it has as much validity as your supposition that he will be one of the best backs in the league for a long time based on three games with an average of 72 rushing yards per heavily skewed by one long run ...

I stand on what I posted, cause it is pretty freakin obvious.

Not going to get into a back and forth with people who can't get past PSU.

Time will tell.

He's not criticizing Barkley. He's simply stating a fact to disprove an opinion.

If this was a pedst thing, explain the positive comments about Miles Sanders here.

Please. So many posters here were harping on him because he played for PSU. Now, since it's looking like he might be pretty good, the conversation is changing from "He is going to be a bust" to "he is an average RB" to "He isn't going to be the best RB of all time".

ADVERTISEMENT