ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Tshiebwe with an interesting decision

Did he grow in college? There's not many 6'8" centers in the NBA.
I just don’t find much of a difference between 6’8,6’96’10 when you’re rarely posting up. If his job is to set screens, sprint, catch lobs, rebound and block shots would you rather have him for the next 10 years or Kevon Looney? Whether he’s a starter or backup he can play 24-28 mins a game for the next 10 years

I just don’t find much of a difference between 6’8,6’96’10 when you’re rarely posting up. If his job is to set screens, sprint, catch lobs, rebound and block shots would you rather have him for the next 10 years or Kevon Looney? Whether he’s a starter or backup he can play 24-28 mins a game for the next 10 years
People get so hung up on height .

Seems he has the same NBA problem as he had after his Freshman year. How much do you think he's cost himself by not going pro after his freshman year?

People get so hung up on height .

Well there's someone who posts on this board who a few years ago was hoping that a recruit was actually 6-10 rather than the 6-9 he was listed at because a 6-10 guy could play center but a 6-9 guy was too small to effectively play the position.

Which was hilarious given the fact that we've had guys like DeJuan Blair and Ontario Lett play the position pretty well over the years, but that number is really important to some people.

Well there's someone who posts on this board who a few years ago was hoping that a recruit was actually 6-10 rather than the 6-9 he was listed at because a 6-10 guy could play center but a 6-9 guy was too small to effectively play the position.

Which was hilarious given the fact that we've had guys like DeJuan Blair and Ontario Lett play the position pretty well over the years, but that number is really important to some people.
It’s insanity
But people are weird .

Nasir at what 6’4” was a better pf that most anyone since , with Justin C being the exception

mike young was a mismatch as a C and just another dude at the 3-4

how a guy actually plays is the most important thing

Reactions: TWPitt
True, the game has changed. But the C position is having a renaissance right now. The top three vote getters for this year's MVP are all going to be 6'11" or taller.
Yeah I guess my point is Tshiebwe and Cockburn are your classic back to the basket, low post 5's. The guys you mention are mostly all face the basket guys who can score from anywhere.

Again, the game has evolved, I understand that. Just wonder where the Abdul-Jabbar's, Ewing's and Olaujawon's would rank in today's game. It is almost like the classic back to the basket 5 is the NBA equivalent of a Fullback.

Yeah I guess my point is Tshiebwe and Cockburn are your classic back to the basket, low post 5's. The guys you mention are mostly all face the basket guys who can score from anywhere.

Again, the game has evolved, I understand that. Just wonder where the Abdul-Jabbar's, Ewing's and Olaujawon's would rank in today's game. It is almost like the classic back to the basket 5 is the NBA equivalent of a Fullback.
Oscar plays the complete opposite of Cockburn. He has almost no back to the basket game.

Just because he doesn’t have an outside game either means he plays back to the basket. He’s a pick and roll guy, rim runner, protector etc

I would stick to Hockey. You mentioned once or twice you were a fan.. let the basketball boys inform and teach you.

Oscar plays the complete opposite of Cockburn. He has almost no back to the basket game.

Just because he doesn’t have an outside game either means he plays back to the basket. He’s a pick and roll guy, rim runner, protector etc

From what I've seen of him, I think the comparison would be Deandre Ayton. Every game I've watched of Ayton's, all he does offensively is dunk off lobs.

K. No one's knocking doors down to draft an undersized 5 with minimal handles and range. Now he gets 2 million with a chance to improve his game.
Oh, he’s gonna improve on being the national player of the year? Steven Adams is making 20 million this year. Oscar’s career will be better than Steven Adams. TERRIBLe decision.

*Will lose 18 million over the course of his career to stay in Lexington. Insanely stupid decision
Another L for my little buddy.

The legend of SMF grows.

As I said, college basketball is littered with elite college players whose games don't translate to the NBA. You're going to see many more college basketball millionaires.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
Oh, he’s gonna improve on being the national player of the year? Steven Adams is making 20 million this year. Oscar’s career will be better than Steven Adams. TERRIBLe decision.
Big 3 mintues from Adams last night. Teams are lining up for Adams clones, especially ones 2 inches shorter!

Embiid does back people down though, and takes advantage of the fact that very few guys can defend the post anymore. He has flexibility to face up or post up. Also true of Jokic, who is this incredible Walton-esque passer from the post but also an incredible Magic-esque passer dribbling up the court. Definitely different guys than Tshiebwe and Cockburn who I imagine might diversify their game like most bigs today by adding range for pick and pop?

As for your examples, Ewing was a good face up guy. Very nice jump shot. The funny thing is in college he was such an intimidator but in the NBA, I never thought of him that way. Hakeem went through many phases as he developed his game but as maybe the greatest defensive player of the post merger era, would have done great anywhere. And Kareem I think could also fit today because (like Jordan) his "typically inefficient" 12 foot hook shot was so accurate he goes beyond the advanced stats arguments to avoid such shots. A popular blogger, LamarMatic, went through every playoff game of the 1983 playoffs. Kareem shot 50% on hook shots in those playoffs, despite playing against Moses Malone and Artis Gilmore. His points per possession on hooks were better than 28 of 30 NBA teams today. This was at age 35, it was likely better in his prime. Mostly advanced stats are good enough to generalize with, but it's fun to look at the guys who break the mold (e.g. Kevin Durant and Dirk's elbow jumpers are still "good shots".)

Another L for my little buddy.

The legend of SMF grows.

As I said, college basketball is littered with elite college players whose games don't translate to the NBA. You're going to see many more college basketball millionaires.
His game translates perfectly to the NBA. Pick, roll, dunk, rebound, protect rim. Gigantic mistake. Surprised they’re gonna give him around 500k (the 2 million isn’t close to true) instead of paying Hugley millions like you said.

His game translates perfectly to the NBA. Pick, roll, dunk, rebound, protect rim. Gigantic mistake. Surprised they’re gonna give him around 500k (the 2 million isn’t close to true) instead of paying Hugley millions like you said.
I said 100K for Hugley, not millions.

Also, I don't think Tshiebwe comes back for 500K. $2 million is probably true though I would have thought $1 million was more realistic.

If you listen to me more, I can teach you things.

I said 100K for Hugley, not millions.

Also, I don't think Tshiebwe comes back for 500K. $2 million is probably true though I would have thought $1 million was more realistic.

If you listen to me more, I can teach you things.
500k is what he is getting. Costing himself 19.5 mill is insane

He'll surely get more than 500K. Big Blue Nation isn't that cheap.

It's not a bad decision at all. Going forward, money should never be an issue with him and he's going to get fan love this year unlike anything he will ever get to experience again in his lifetime. It has to feed the ego. For one year, he's going to be 'the man'
and the centerpiece of attention. -
Probably the only time in his career.

Either stop drinking or resume drinking- whatever you are doing now isn't working...😁

I know what was reported and I know from people on the staff it’s not close to that number. But if people keep retweeting it enough it does more free recruiting for Kentucky

Then where is the $2 million figure coming from?

If he thinks he's going to get $2 million, he better be getting $2 million

If they are leaking that he's going to get $2 million, he better get $2 million.

When it's all said and done though, I think it will be a lot closer to $2 mil than $500K.

It almost has to be. $500K wouldn't be enough to move the needle. And I don't think UK wants to appear to be that cheap. 500K is a joke.
Nah. Car. 100k a month for 5 months

So the NBA scouts said that he needs to really develop a 3 point shot. Great. Now does he do this in games where the offense that Calipari runs doesn’t call for that. He is coming back to make 2 million and work on his deficiencies. He isn’t coming back to help Kentucky win a national championship.

When it's all said and done though, I think it will be a lot closer to $2 mil than $500K.

It almost has to be. $500K wouldn't be enough to move the needle. And I don't think UK wants to appear to be that cheap. 500K is a joke.
It'll be north of $1 million. No way he comes back for $500K. No way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT