ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 Buccos

Polanco 0-5 today. What’s the point in playing him outside of salary? Batting a hefty .183.
He’s feast or famine, the epitome of modern baseball. He’ll either hit a home run or pop out, seems like there’s nothing in between for him.

My guess is they’re hoping he shows something so they can trade him. But at this rate he might not be worth a sack of BP baseballs.
I still am laughing how Huntington refused to trade him or say Chris Sale, David Price or Mike Stanton, because those guys were available and the Pirates likely could have gotten one of them 2014 or 15 by trading Polanco and Taillon or Glasnow.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I still am laughing how Huntington refused to trade him or say Chris Sale, David Price or Mike Stanton, because those guys were available and the Pirates likely could have gotten one of them 2014 or 15 by trading Polanco and Taillon or Glasnow.
Why have those guys when you could get Chris Archer?

I don’t think that trade is going away anytime soon...

Reactions: vietvet1
Playing two seven inning games today against the 6-10 Tigers. Let's see if these miracle Bucco's can get back to 0.500 today. Pirates can't even tank a season correctly lol.

Polanco can’t come within a foot of hitting a curve ball. His defense is atrocious as well. Guess we couldn’t get any takers for him this off-season and now we are stuck until a few other outfielders develop
watching him whif on those low, in the dirt curves, is so frustrating. Theses other teams have his number..for sure.

Alford DFA . . . Fowler DFA . . . but they keep penciling Polanco into the lineup every day.

It was worth kicking the tires on both of them since they were both top 100 prospects (I think that Alford got as high as top 25 one year) but it's also clear that neither one of them can remotely hit big league pitching (A .434 OPS for Fowler and a shocking .325 for Alford) and Fowler was a terrible defender on top of that.

In all seriousness, I hope Phillip Evans assumes one of those outfield spots once Ke’Bryan Hayes returns from the IL. He’s been very impressive so far.

Seems to be the plan based on today. I'm assuming that they'll play him in right and move Polanco to left since Polanco can't throw anymore but any way you slice it that is an ugly defensive outfield. And it isn't as if bringing up Brian Goodwin is going to help much.

It's still shocking to me that we traded Meadows because "he was blocked" in the organization and this our current outfield with really no one of immediate help above the AA level either.

It was worth kicking the tires on both of them since they were both top 100 prospects (I think that Alford got as high as top 25 one year) but it's also clear that neither one of them can remotely hit big league pitching (A .434 OPS for Fowler and a shocking .325 for Alford) and Fowler was a terrible defender on top of that.

Seems to be the plan based on today. I'm assuming that they'll play him in right and move Polanco to left since Polanco can't throw anymore but any way you slice it that is an ugly defensive outfield. And it isn't as if bringing up Brian Goodwin is going to help much.

It's still shocking to me that we traded Meadows because "he was blocked" in the organization and this our current outfield with really no one of immediate help above the AA level either.
Yeah, go figure. I’m thinking Oneil Cruz moves to right field so that’ll help.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
It's so early....the Pirates can on and lose 16 of their next 20. But if they remain battling around .500 that means some guys like a Moran, Frazier, Rodriguez will be doing well and they will have some definite value come deadline.

It's so early....the Pirates can on and lose 16 of their next 20. But if they remain battling around .500 that means some guys like a Moran, Frazier, Rodriguez will be doing well and they will have some definite value come deadline.

It obviously isn't sustainable but you think that a reliever with a 0.24 WHIP might be in demand.

funny how the analysts on MLB right after the game ended with a Pirates win basically said some fans may be happy with the win but management and fans thinking strategically shouldnt want this team battling for 500 so early in the rebuilding phase. they have #1 in each of the rounds this year and need something similar next year to build up their talent throughout the organization.

funny how the analysts on MLB right after the game ended with a Pirates win basically said some fans may be happy with the win but management and fans thinking strategically shouldnt want this team battling for 500 so early in the rebuilding phase. they have #1 in each of the rounds this year and need something similar next year to build up their talent throughout the organization.

Personally I'm fine with it only if it means some players are performing above expectations in a way that makes them appealing trade targets at the deadline that the Pirates can ship for more prospects before losing 95% of their games in the back half.

But yeah, the Pirates can't even tank right.

Personally I'm fine with it only if it means some players are performing above expectations in a way that makes them appealing trade targets at the deadline that the Pirates can ship for more prospects before losing 95% of their games in the back half.

But yeah, the Pirates can't even tank right.
Yeah. It is good to see Mitch Keller and Brian Reynolds do well, as you hope he is part of the future. And it is good to see Colin Moran, Rich Rodriguez and Adam Frazier do well, because going into the season they were identified as the three most likely trade targets and they are doing nothing to hurt their value. A Gregori Polanco, well, it is just a matter of time.

The National League is crap. It is the Dodgers and everyone else though I think the Padres will rise up. With all of this success, the Pirates are still one game out of last place in their division. 75 wins for this team would be the WORST possible outcome. They needs another high draft pick and the 2022 draft is rumored with some elite talent at the top (better than 2021).

That's the big picture.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Yeah. It is good to see Mitch Keller and Brian Reynolds do well, as you hope he is part of the future. And it is good to see Colin Moran, Rich Rodriguez and Adam Frazier do well, because going into the season they were identified as the three most likely trade targets and they are doing nothing to hurt their value. A Gregori Polanco, well, it is just a matter of time.

The National League is crap. It is the Dodgers and everyone else though I think the Padres will rise up. With all of this success, the Pirates are still one game out of last place in their division. 75 wins for this team would be the WORST possible outcome. They needs another high draft pick and the 2022 draft is rumored with some elite talent at the top (better than 2021).

That's the big picture.

If they were doing this with a bunch of young guys that were going to be around for the long haul I wouldn't mind all the winning.....

The Bucs suck at sucking.

If they were doing this with a bunch of young guys that were going to be around for the long haul I wouldn't mind all the winning.....

The Bucs suck at sucking.
It's not like the team is loaded with old veterans nearing the end of their careers.

Yes, we know the owner is cheap and you won’t follow the team again until he sells. Now, let’s talk baseball.

Obviously they won’t be making the playoffs or contending for anything. An ideal season for me would be landing the first pick (and OF Elijah Green) while seeing some promise from the younger guys.

“Young” KeBryan Hayes should be fun to watch, as will a few of the pitchers (Brubaker, Cederlind). One guy I’m looking forward to seeing in action is Anthony Alford. He’s still pretty young; they picked him up off waivers from Toronto last year and showed some promise until he got injured. He may be a dark-horse for “breakout candidate.” Oneil Cruz may see some big league playing time as well, so that’s something to watch out for.

What say you?
19 games in and the pitching and defense are much better.

19 games in and the pitching and defense are much better.

Unless it has changed in the last couple of days, Pirates starting pitchers have the worst combined era in the majors, even worse than all the American League teams that have to face a DH instead of a pitcher.

It’s early and I like seeing some good baseball. I’m happy that Reynolds, Moran, and a few others are doing well. I really like Brubaker long term and hope he can continue to string good start after good start.

That is the total team era. The Pirates bullpen has actually been pretty good. The Pirates starters have been, well, less than good. As of a few days ago their starters era was the worst in the league.

But they did get a couple good starts the last few days, so my guess is that as of today they probably aren't in last anymore, but they surely are still close to it.

Ah, here you go:

Starter's ERA

So not last anymore. Next to last, ahead of only the Diamondbacks.
They’re improving in leaps n bounds. You posted yesterday, I just clicked on your link and their now 4th from the bottom. Not surprising considering yesterday’s result.

4th from the bottom, considering their very lackluster starting rotation heading into the season, I’d almost have to consider that a + performance for them so far. JT Brubaker has definitely been a +.

I know there’s like a 3% chance this happens but.....

what would their record have to be going in to the All Star Break for them to not be sellers? Or no matter what do you think they should 100% sell anything with value even if they are right in the playoff hunt?

I just ask because watching them win is a lot more fun than it is to watch tank. Tanking is miserable to follow in baseball where there’s a 162 game season. Although the rational side of me knows its best for them to lose 100 games this year, the fan in me wouldn’t mind them hanging around in a crappy division.

what would their record have to be going in to the All Star Break for them to not be sellers? Or no matter what do you think they should 100% sell anything with value even if they are right in the playoff hunt?

I just ask because watching them win is a lot more fun than it is to watch tank. Tanking is miserable to follow in baseball where there’s a 162 game season. Although the rational side of me knows its best for them to lose 100 games this year, the fan in me wouldn’t mind them hanging around in a crappy division.
If they’re hovering near .500 when the All Star Break comes around, I’m okay with them staying pat. At that point, they likely won’t be getting the first pick anyways.

Reactions: pittjas

Hah hah!!!!! That’s a good one.
I haven’t laughed that much in a long time.
🤣🤣🤣

It depends what the division is like right? I mean, they could be say two games under .500, but if you have the Brewers and Cards like 10-12 games over, then yes you are sellers. But if the division leaders are also hovering around .500, then you have to reconsider.

Big thing to consider, and yes it does come down to finances, what will be allowed for crowds in late summer? If you can't fill PNC because there are still COVID restrictions, then you don't get the benefit of big crowds during a pennant race. So yeah, that will be a consideration also. I mean, it is a reality.

Reactions: pittjas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT