ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ashoka

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Star Wars Ashoka debuts tonight at 9pm on Disney+. I think this is Disney’s last profound attempt to salvage the star wars IP. Anyone interested? I have to say that I used to follow this stuff pretty closely but I’ve lost all interest. My kid reminded me about this series. I’ll give it a shot but have zero expectations.

Anyone else?

Reactions: PittFan717
Star Wars Ashoka debuts tonight at 9pm on Disney+. I think this is Disney’s last profound attempt to salvage the star wars IP. Anyone interested? I have to say that I used to follow this stuff pretty closely but I’ve lost all interest. My kid reminded me about this series. I’ll give it a shot but have zero expectations.

Anyone else?
I will watch. I am a sucker for Star Wars so they got me. I like when they piece together stuff from the movies and it will be interesting to see her as Anakins apprentice. My expectations aren’t too high though.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I will watch. I am a sucker for Star Wars so they got me. I like when they piece together stuff from the movies and it will be interesting to see her as Anakins apprentice. My expectations aren’t too high though.
I worry that I’ll be clueless because it could be based on the cartoons that I have never watched.

I think it will also have Thrawn from the Zahn books.
Dare I say this is the best Star Wars project I’ve seen since Rogue One? I thought the first two episodes were pretty good. It feels like Star Wars to me. Filoni seems to get it. Not sure if they switch directors as the season progresses, but these two were pretty good. Let’s see if the rest of the series delivers.

Dare I say this is the best Star Wars project I’ve seen since Rogue One? I thought the first two episodes were pretty good. It feels like Star Wars to me. Filoni seems to get it. Not sure if they switch directors as the season progresses, but these two were pretty good. Let’s see if the rest of the series delivers.
I really think you have to have been invested in the Rebels cartoon series to actually care for these characters initially. The callbacks to Lothal seen exactly as in the cartoon was great, the visual "Easter eggs" that are out there will be lost on those not having seen the series. My wife is like, who is Ahsoka, and why is she important in SW? I didn't have an hour to explain. She recently discovered Grogu (baby Yoda) For me, it's good. We last saw Morgen Elsbeth in the S2 of Mandalorian, fighting Ahsoka and Mando. I have high hopes for the remaining episodes.

I'll probably watch when there are more episodes. If it's stays good how do they stop Disney from destroying it?

I'll probably watch when there are more episodes. If it's stays good how do they stop Disney from destroying it?
Not sure what you’re saying with your second sentence. But I’ll say this about the first. I wonder if Disney’s model is part of the problem with the poor ratings for their marvel and Star Wars shows. Last night’s episodes were a total of 1.5 hours of good tv viewing. Now they’ll probably drop down to a 30 minute episode next week with all filler that doesn’t progress the story much.

Just checked and yep, episode 3 is 34 minutes in length. Which means that take away the credits, there will be less than 30 minutes of content for a two week period between the series open and episode 4.

So predictable.

Anyone else?
Episode 1 was pretty darned good
My son really liked it - since he watched the Clone Wars series he’s really dialed into the characters

Andor was phenomenal. Best star wars project on disney plus by far
I liked Andor too. But this one felt like Star Wars a bit more. I reserve the right to change my opinion, as Disney hasn’t exactly been executing as of late. But so far so good.

Reactions: ratking17
I mean, what are we comparing this to? If we compare it to the BEST Star Wars stories, that's not really fair. But compare it to anything similar that's come out in a while and it's great! I sit down and watch with my 11 year old and 9 year old and we have a great time. Is it better or worse than some of the other similar Star Wars shows? Well, I'd say not as good so far as Mando but better than Kenobi which despite a great lead actor was disappointing. Andor was really different and I liked it but my kids didn't love it as much and, for me, that's part of the fun.

I mean, what are we comparing this to? If we compare it to the BEST Star Wars stories, that's not really fair. But compare it to anything similar that's come out in a while and it's great! I sit down and watch with my 11 year old and 9 year old and we have a great time. Is it better or worse than some of the other similar Star Wars shows? Well, I'd say not as good so far as Mando but better than Kenobi which despite a great lead actor was disappointing. Andor was really different and I liked it but my kids didn't love it as much and, for me, that's part of the fun.
Because it was a truly fleshed out story with characters which all advanced a. New story
Ahsoka so far has done a good job sticking to a narrative .
I’m still liking it but yeah it’s a good point you bring up. Our standards might not be too high right now because so much of disney Star Wars has been not good. Outside of how the 2nd season of Mando ended, the rest of it simply wasn’t great. I did like Andor but I’m in the minority.

I’m really starting to buy into the theory that people aren’t tuning into the format of one show per week because as with previous series, some of the episodes were hot garbage and nothing but filler. I’d like to see them release 2-3 episodes per week and be done with it.

The Disney spin is real and it’s strong right now. The ratings aren’t good. Its viewership is significantly down and at Andor levels. Which is really a shame because they’ve gone all in on this one to make it a success. So far it’s not.

I’m still liking it but yeah it’s a good point you bring up. Our standards might not be too high right now because so much of disney Star Wars has been not good. Outside of how the 2nd season of Mando ended, the rest of it simply wasn’t great. I did like Andor but I’m in the minority.

I’m really starting to buy into the theory that people aren’t tuning into the format of one show per week because as with previous series, some of the episodes were hot garbage and nothing but filler. I’d like to see them release 2-3 episodes per week and be done with it.

The Disney spin is real and it’s strong right now. The ratings aren’t good. Its viewership is significantly down and at Andor levels. Which is really a shame because they’ve gone all in on this one to make it a success. So far it’s not.
Andor was tremendous
It’s by far the best series they’ve had .
The rest- even mandolarian- was entertaining .
I mean it’s not high art - it’s most fan service

It’s similar to what’s happened to Marvel -
They fall into this trap of wanting to do fan service and Easter eggs from the comics- but it falls flat mostly .
It’s why I think a moon knight was the best series . Wandavision was good - but then they undercut her character in Dr strange 2.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

It's not that you are in the minorty for liking Andow. I think most people who watched it liked it. Just not many people watched it becasue they are tired of the crap and don't have the enthusiam for another dud. Disney has mostly ruined the franchise. They ran off the old school fans, and because the new stuff has mostly been crap, they havne't brought in new fans. Now most people simple don't care.

Disney has made some EPICALLY poor decision when it comes to Star Wars. The movies. TV shows. The decision to focus on the newer characters in the theme park. And then their stupid Star Wars hotel that was ridicously expensive, which also focused on newer characters I think. Just so bad.

Reactions: Dan1911
At first glance, I read the title of this thread as "As-hola".

My bad... 🤷‍♂️

It's not that you are in the minorty for liking Andow. I think most people who watched it liked it. Just not many people watched it becasue they are tired of the crap and don't have the enthusiam for another dud. Disney has mostly ruined the franchise. They ran off the old school fans, and because the new stuff has mostly been crap, they havne't brought in new fans. Now most people simple don't care.

Disney has made some EPICALLY poor decision when it comes to Star Wars. The movies. TV shows. The decision to focus on the newer characters in the theme park. And then their stupid Star Wars hotel that was ridicously expensive, which also focused on newer characters I think. Just so bad.
They’ve killed the brand. That hotel closing 9 the after it opened and after spending 2 billion on is a microcosm of Disney Star Wars.

This Ashoka show I think is an attempt to build a new Star Wars universe that will carry the IP for the next decade. But it might be too little too late.

They’ve killed the brand. That hotel closing 9 the after it opened and after spending 2 billion on is a microcosm of Disney Star Wars.

This Ashoka show I think is an attempt to build a new Star Wars universe that will carry the IP for the next decade. But it might be too little too late.

Imagine spending $2 billion on that thing. Dear God. How stupid can people be?

Imagine spending $2 billion on that thing. Dear God. How stupid can people be?
In addition to that, Imagine losing 2 billion on Disney+ over the past year. Imagine having most of your films lose money this year, probably over a billion in losses at this point and then depend on The Marvels this Fall to hopefully break the losing streak. Actually Guardians broke the losing streak but that was essentially the only one. Imagine your stock losing 60% of its value this year. Imagine Kathleen Kennedy still hs a job…

You’re think of this whole thing wrong
It’s an old school ratings view

They are selling subscriptions and using Content to do it .
Star Wars has always and I mean always been not great .
It’s a knock off samurai movie in space with terrible dialogue and characters who are one dimensional
It’s always been cheese .
The only difference is the nostalgia people have for it

You’re think of this whole thing wrong
It’s an old school ratings view

They are selling subscriptions and using Content to do it .
It’s a knock off samurai movie in space with terrible dialogue and characters who are one dimensional
And leaking subscriptions.

Not sure what to think about the series after 7 episodes. I think it might be better than Mandalorian. I am digging the Thrawn character, but the Ezra character looks pretty bad. Zero charisma for a presumed prominent character. Dawson’s portrayal is just blah. That could be due to the directing and writing. Not generating much emotion toward her from the viewer.

Some of the episodes have a Star Wars feel.

I'm going to binge all episodes once they have aired.

But yeah, Disney had pretty much killed the brand.

The light Sabre battles have been really really bad
Yeah. They’ve been really clumsy. Like really clumsy. The old guy who has since died looked like an old guy. Dawson looked like an average female, and the Ezra dudes stuff looked like something from a 6th grade production.

Look, it’s TV and we expect it to be like a blockbuster theatrical film. But it’s not going to be, even though some of the shows also cost a couple hundred million to make.

That said, the Daredevil show on Netflix is an example of a tv show that had some of the best fight choreography I’ve ever seen. And for how good it was, it was just way too much. I prefer dialogue over fight scenes but that show was like non stop well choreographed stuff. So it’s possible for tv.

Yeah. They’ve been really clumsy. Like really clumsy. The old guy who has since died looked like an old guy. Dawson looked like an average female, and the Ezra dudes stuff looked like something from a 6th grade production.

Look, it’s TV and we expect it to be like a blockbuster theatrical film. But it’s not going to be, even though some of the shows also cost a couple hundred million to make.

That said, the Daredevil show on Netflix is an example of a tv show that had some of the best fight choreography I’ve ever seen. And for how good it was, it was just way too much. I prefer dialogue over fight scenes but that show was like non stop well choreographed stuff. So it’s possible for tv.
I agree. I don't expect my actors to be trained in martial arts but I think Dawson has been really poor in her light Sabre scenes

I agree. I don't expect my actors to be trained in martial arts but I think Dawson has been really poor in her light Sabre scenes
Were the stunt people striking or something? Honestly I expected more from Filoni for his baby (the FiloniVerse).

But that said, I don’t really hold it against the show because it’s just not that important to me. Typical fans of this type of genre are into the action sequences so it’s important to them. For me, action sequences might be the times that I pick up my phone and check the lair or twitter. In other words, let me know when they’re over.

Were the stunt people striking or something? Honestly I expected more from Filoni for his baby (the FiloniVerse).

But that said, I don’t really hold it against the show because it’s just not that important to me. Typical fans of this type of genre are into the action sequences so it’s important to them. For me, action sequences might be the times that I pick up my phone and check the lair or twitter. In other words, let me know when they’re over.
Fair enough. I loved andor. Thought it was better than episode 8 and 9. I am "meh" with ashoka. It isn't bad but it isn't doing much for me. I am though two episodes behind. I just saw the turtle people and was wondering why Disney always has to have the ewok type character that dumbs down the story.

I am looking forward to loki this week. But that is also due because the actors work well for me.

As a complete sort of aside rant....I think Darth Vader is one of the baddest mo fos in movie history. That said, the prequel episodes 1-3 missed a grand opportunity to show how evil he was. We really only get a glimpse of it in the last 5 mins of Rouge one. Hayden "I hate sand" just doesn't do it for me. So seeing him reprise his role occasionally just reinforces the missed opportunities I think disney has done with the Vader character.

Fair enough. I loved andor. Thought it was better than episode 8 and 9. I am "meh" with ashoka. It isn't bad but it isn't doing much for me. I am though two episodes behind. I just saw the turtle people and was wondering why Disney always has to have the ewok type character that dumbs down the story.

I am looking forward to loki this week. But that is also due because the actors work well for me.

As a complete sort of aside rant....I think Darth Vader is one of the baddest mo fos in movie history. That said, the prequel episodes 1-3 missed a grand opportunity to show how evil he was. We really only get a glimpse of it in the last 5 mins of Rouge one. Hayden "I hate sand" just doesn't do it for me. So seeing him reprise his role occasionally just reinforces the missed opportunities I think disney has done with the Vader character.
I think it does a nice job telling a compelling story , which is enough for me.
My son watched Clone Wats and Rebels so maybe I’m enjoying it more because of how excited he is for how they are making that like action .

I think it does a nice job telling a compelling story , which is enough for me.
My son watched Clone Wats and Rebels so maybe I’m enjoying it more because of how excited he is for how they are making that like action .
I have watched neither but did watch a summary video. I do hear those are good though

I'm going to binge all episodes once they have aired.

But yeah, Disney had pretty much killed the brand.
I realize you’ll go out of your way to hate on Disney Star Wars for petty reasons, but posts like this seem to imply that the prequel trilogy was good. And that’s just silly.

I realize you’ll go out of your way to hate on Disney Star Wars for petty reasons, but posts like this seem to imply that the prequel trilogy was good. And that’s just silly.

Well, there's a difference between simply not meeting expectations, or not being good, vs. making a movie that is essentially a deconstruction of Star Wars, which The Last Jedi was.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585
I wouldn’t say his reasons are petty. Not in the least.

But yeah, I think you’re largely right about the prequels. I think the fans have a bit of revisionist history about them because they were George’s story, and the crap we have now is not George’s. The prequels were not good and everyone knew it. I do like Episode 3 though and how it pulled everything together. The biggest problem with it for me is that the whole thing was filmed in front of a green screen and technology wasn’t quite where it needed to be. That’s why Abrams’ directing was so fresh for episode 7. Abrams’ problem was casting leads who had zero charisma and chemistry together. But the prequels and episode 7 were gold compared to what Ruin Johnson did. It’s a shame too because Ruin’s movie was visually fantastic.

I do like Episode 3 though and how it pulled everything together. The biggest problem with it for me is that the whole thing was filmed in front of a green screen and technology wasn’t quite where it needed to be.
I'm with you on this. With all we've seen, it's fair to conclude that George Lucas has no aptitude for working with digital tools. He seems to enjoy them, but his digital products are a little disappointing. It's a shame because his gifts with practical effects and latex puppets and Halloween masks and 35mm cameras were extraordinary. I'll strain for a sports analogy here and suggest it's sort of like your 270 lb 7'0" basketball center hanging around the perimeter launching threes. Just play to your strength.

The prequels had more than just the digital stuff working against them, though I suspect the green screens did a lot to weaken the performances, bringing like a multiplier effect of suckiness. But Episode 3, yeah, beneath its obvious problems it at least had a coherent narrative thread and character arc. Whereas Episodes 8 and 9, no.

You could say the same thing about Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, and in fact many people did. They were received as the lowest-brow sort of schlock in the 1960s. But last year when the British Film Institute surveyed world film directors for their once-a-decade Sight and Sound poll of best movies, Leone's Once Upon a Time in The West made the top 50.

As Alfred Appel says, “One epoch's popular culture is another's esoterica.”

Man was that a boring show. It went absolutely nowhere. Maybe I need to watch 3 years worth of cartoons to feel any attachment to anyone but what a waste of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT