ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best #9 in Concacaf?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Didn’t realize this, but Michail Antonio, from West Ham United, is in line to help Jamaica qualify for the World Cup.

for those who don’t know the name, the guy has had an unorthodox ascension to the Premier League and originally played all the positions in the backline. He was turned into a striker and has flourished into one of the best #9’s in the Premier League. Quietly he has contributed something like 35 goals and assists in his last 43 starts for West Ham. He’s everything we hope Daryl Dike can be in 4-5 years but he’s achieving it now. If he plays in WC qualifying, he makes a difficult Jamaican team more dangerous.

all of this said, he’s often suffered from muscle injuries. West Ham doesn’t have the squad depth of the other top clubs. They are playing in the Europa League and could have an outside shot at the top 4 in the Premier League this year. So his workload could be heavy and I’m not sure what that means for qualifying matches and whether he will play.

Usa qualification will not be easy.

Didn’t realize this, but Michail Antonio, from West Ham United, is in line to help Jamaica qualify for the World Cup.

for those who don’t know the name, the guy has had an unorthodox ascension to the Premier League and originally played all the positions in the backline. He was turned into a striker and has flourished into one of the best #9’s in the Premier League. Quietly he has contributed something like 35 goals and assists in his last 43 starts for West Ham. He’s everything we hope Daryl Dike can be in 4-5 years but he’s achieving it now. If he plays in WC qualifying, he makes a difficult Jamaican team more dangerous.

all of this said, he’s often suffered from muscle injuries. West Ham doesn’t have the squad depth of the other top clubs. They are playing in the Europa League and could have an outside shot at the top 4 in the Premier League this year. So his workload could be heavy and I’m not sure what that means for qualifying matches and whether he will play.

Usa qualification will not be easy.
OK. I kinda figured he was from England. Jamaica and Trinidad often have English players.

Leon Bailey (who actually is from Jamaica) is their "Pulisic." Already probably their best player ever. Scored goals for Leverkusen and is with Aston Villa now.

OK. I kinda figured he was from England. Jamaica and Trinidad often have English players.

Leon Bailey (who actually is from Jamaica) is their "Pulisic." Already probably their best player ever. Scored goals for Leverkusen and is with Aston Villa now.
Yep Bailey was a hotly sought after transfer a couple of years ago. I thought about mentioning him but I think most here know of him.

So how did this guy get moved to striker? What manager saw the light, because this is kind of rare to see a guy play every position on the back line and than get moved to striker and he flourishes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT