ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

Getting to that point where I’m caring less about the losses and don’t want to even pull up the standings/daily scores like I was more frequently when they were at least hovering around .500.

K-Mart jerseys for a K-mart franchise. 10
Straight.
Really, the 10 straight is not the problem, IMO. It is the close to 40 out of the past 45 years of futility with no prospect in sight of a good season, that is the problem. Add to it all the BS slung out there trying to get fan's money without competing....The latest are the statement from Travis Williams, Team President, about the City Connect uni's...total rubbish....
I don't blame the players, it is all on ownership/management.....

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Really, the 10 straight is not the problem, IMO. It is the close to 40 out of the past 45 years of futility with no prospect in sight of a good season, that is the problem. Add to it all the BS slung out there trying to get fan's money without competing....The latest are the statement from Travis Williams, Team President, about the City Connect uni's...total rubbish....
I think 32 of 40 seasons since ‘83 have been sub. 500. 34 of 40 non playoff.

Reactions: Parkview57
The prospects seem to be dying on the vine faster than we expected. But what the Pirates need to do is move some (not now this year is lost) for a legit starter or bat. I am not talking Chris Archer. But someone say next year to augment this franchise. Not just look for the cheapest off season FA's.

They need to stop being in the bottom 5 in payroll. Leage average is 160 Million. Pirates are at $76 million. It will rise some next year with arbitration and Reynolds, but still under $90 million with the same roster.

The prospects seem to be dying on the vine faster than we expected. But what the Pirates need to do is move some (not now this year is lost) for a legit starter or bat. I am not talking Chris Archer. But someone say next year to augment this franchise. Not just look for the cheapest off season FA's.

They need to stop being in the bottom 5 in payroll. Leage average is 160 Million. Pirates are at $76 million. It will rise some next year with arbitration and Reynolds, but still under $90 million with the same roster.

I was a little depressed to see our farm system ranked 8th the last time I checked. By no means terrible, but I'd have hoped for something a little higher when considering we don't have a ton of veteran talent, either.

Is this the lineup in 2025?

LF: Reynolds

CF: Crews

RF: Davis/Suwinski

3B: Hayes

SS: Cruz

2B: Gonzales/Other

1B: Some free agent

C: Rodriguez

DH: Davis/Suwinski

I was a little depressed to see our farm system ranked 8th the last time I checked. By no means terrible, but I'd have hoped for something a little higher when considering we don't have a ton of veteran talent, either.

Is this the lineup in 2025?

LF: Reynolds

CF: Crews

RF: Davis/Suwinski

3B: Hayes

SS: Cruz

2B: Gonzales/Other

1B: Some free agent

C: Rodriguez

DH: Davis/Suwinski
Well I hope 1-1 is not a platoon player. Right? I think this team is going to have to trade some young for a real upper MLB pitcher or bat. And 2025, I would hope Temarr Johnson is close to playing 2B.

But aside from Anthony Solemeto (LHP only 20), no one is lighting it up and rising up the minors.

Well I hope 1-1 is not a platoon player. Right? I think this team is going to have to trade some young for a real upper MLB pitcher or bat. And 2025, I would hope Temarr Johnson is close to playing 2B.

But aside from Anthony Solemeto (LHP only 20), no one is lighting it up and rising up the minors.

I'm not platoooning his spot in the lineup; I'm platooning his position. I think he'll play RF, DH, and probably fit some C in.

The staff is too hard to predict (for me), so I'm not even trying. I assume it'll be some mix of young guys and veterans. Keller will be in a contract year in 2025, so I honestly wouldn't hate moving him before that season. It sucks that he very slightly missed our window to relevancy, but you can't afford to let guys like that walk away for nothing. I mean, signing him would be my first choice, but... probably not.

And I don't know what Johnson's path will be. Didn't he just turn 19? I would suspect the goal is AA by the end of 2024 and then at least a full season of AAA.

Agree, the pirates are an exercise in futility. I believe you are correct when you blame ownership and management. The team is devoid of leadership, and it filters from the owner on down. There is a problem with culture here. They are used to losing, used to poor drafting, and used to poor player development, and used to not spending or spending on the wrong guys. Like you, I see very little hope for the future. They are good at selling a rebuild, but, this ownership and management has no idea how to do it. I look at the Reds and the young prospects they have brought up and I get angry. We have had enough top picks that we should have some great players, but, I wonder well the hell ours are???

That is why IMO the league needs to set a salary floor also .
Make owners like Nutting blow the dust off there wallet ...

That is why IMO the league needs to set a salary floor also .
Make owners like Nutting blow the dust off there wallet ...

For the bazillionth time, an annual salary floor would not help the Pirates. It would hurt us, because we would have to go out and sign two Jeremy Burnitzes every year when we should be saving the money to make runs during our windows of opportunity (i.e. supplement a competitive young nucleus with multiple free agents).

Now, the fact that we really don't do that either is a completely different discussion.

For the bazillionth time, an annual salary floor would not help the Pirates. It would hurt us, because we would have to go out and sign two Jeremy Burnitzes every year when we should be saving the money to make runs during our windows of opportunity (i.e. supplement a competitive young nucleus with multiple free agents).

Now, the fact that we really don't do that either is a completely different discussion.
Well a floor without a cap....yeah. I am obviously a hockey fan, and the NHL has a joke of a franchise in Arizona. They suck. They cannot get an arena deal. And they are legendary for taking on bad contracts for draft picks to stay salary floor compliant. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mikael Granlund moved with a pick or a Samuel Poulin to Arizona for nothing more of cap space.

Well a floor without a cap....yeah. I am obviously a hockey fan, and the NHL has a joke of a franchise in Arizona. They suck. They cannot get an arena deal. And they are legendary for taking on bad contracts for draft picks to stay salary floor compliant. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mikael Granlund moved with a pick or a Samuel Poulin to Arizona for nothing more of cap space.
6 of one . Half a dozen of the other .

2 things: 1) Henry Davis doesn't belong with these losers. He clearly believes in himself and his abilities and is trying to lead them.
2) Ortiz is pitching the 2nd excellent game in a row, but it matters not as this team is right there with the worst offensive teams in the history of MLB. Each and every night they make the opposing pitcher look like Cy Young.

2 things: 1) Henry Davis doesn't belong with these losers. He clearly believes in himself and his abilities and is trying to lead them.
2) Ortiz is pitching the 2nd excellent game in a row, but it matters not as this team is right there with the worst offensive teams in the history of MLB. Each and every night they make the opposing pitcher look like Cy Young.
derek shelton was a hitting coach for 13 seasons....

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
This team needs to be put out of its misery. I wish they would get sold to another city. This is hard to take. 2nd and 3rd with one out, and Castro and Hedges watch called strike 3s. Neither player belongs on a major league roster, they look like 2 little leaguers. Anyone who believes this team is on the right track to be good in a few years is delusional and still under the spell of the lying Nutsack.

I mean it was such a joy......and now the Succos are back. In fairness they are without their two best offensive players. But you look at the pipeline, and look at the Marlins or Reds and compare where the Pirates have drafted over the past few years, and you wonder if they have competent scouts/minor league people who cannot develop these guys.

I mean it was such a joy......and now the Succos are back. In fairness they are without their two best offensive players. But you look at the pipeline, and look at the Marlins or Reds and compare where the Pirates have drafted over the past few years, and you wonder if they have competent scouts/minor league people who cannot develop these guys.
Kinda mirroring ownership ...

Showed some hope for a few weeks and went right back to who they are - sucking

51uZrwWk-AL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Another fine starting performance down the $hitter …

The Pirates starters this weekend in Miami:

20-2/3 IP, 21 hits, 4 runs, all earned, 2 walks, 15 strikeouts, 1.74 era

That should be good enough to win two, maybe even three games. Except here are the Miami starters this weekend:

19 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, 4 walks, 24 strikeouts, 0.47 era

That is some pathetic hitting.

That kid who pitched today matched the Marlin's phenom except for one bad slider.
Mlodzinski, another top pick is up and he's a hard thrower who seems to have some promise.
Davis and Gonzales are up now so we can see what they can do when they settle in.
Rodriguez will be up after the break I'd imagine.
Cruz will be back in August.
Priester has had some good outings in Indy, last time out had 11 K's in 6 innings. Needs to be a bit more consistent.
Kellar seems to have righted the ship.
Too soon to completely write them off. They're pretty young.
Some of the guys who are struggling aren't in the rebuild picture. Maybe Bae and Castro and Marcano as bench players, as well as Suwinski.
Remember they also have Crews coming on board. He'll be up in two years as well.
There is talent there and more on the way in the low minors. Remember Bubba Chandler is working it out in Greensboro and there is a good lefty in the mix too.
The success this year was a bit of a mirage. They were punching above their weight. The real team hasn't gotten together yet.

Reactions: 303vND
That kid who pitched today matched the Marlin's phenom except for one bad slider.
Mlodzinski, another top pick is up and he's a hard thrower who seems to have some promise.
Davis and Gonzales are up now so we can see what they can do when they settle in.
Priester has had some good outings in Indy, last time out had 11 K's in 6 innings. Needs to be a bit more consistent.
Some of the guys who are struggling aren't in the rebuild picture. Maybe Bae and Castro and Marcano as bench players, as well as Suwinski.
Remember they also have Crews coming on board. He'll be up in two years as well.
There is talent there and more on the way in the low minors. Remember Bubba Chandler is working it out in Greensboro and there is a good lefty in the mix too.
The success this year was a bit of a mirage. They were punching above their weight. The real team hasn't gotten together yet.
Everything you posted here is pretty accurate. That said, counting on Pirate prospects to deliver future returns has been almost exclusively a losing proposition with the exception of a few years in the in the early 20teens.

I guess I’m not as optimistic about what’s coming down the pipeline as you. I’ve loosely followed their prior drafts and am familiar with the names but every time I see what their stat lines are in the minors, nothing sticks out to me as sure fire guarantees at the MLB level. Rather, it seems more like a group of prospects not much different than what most other MLB teams have in their minor league system.

So I’m just in a basic unexcited wait n see mode with all of them.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
The Pirates are 1-12 in their last 13. Jack Suwinski had two hits in the first game of this stretch. He’s 2 for his last 33. Ji Hwan Bae is 3 for his last 33. Rodolfo Castro is 2 for his last 29. Austin Hedges is 2 for his last 22. That’s 9 for 117, an average of .077.

• Sad
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Since the 1-12 stretch began last week, Bae, Castro, Hedges and Suwinski were 9 for 117. Suwinski’s two hits came in that first game. In fact six of those nine hits came in the first two games of that stretch!

Since the 1-12 stretch began last week, Bae, Castro, Hedges and Suwinski were 9 for 117. Suwinski’s two hits came in that first game. In fact six of those nine hits came in the first two games of that stretch!
And none of those players figure to be starters when the contending team is put together in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT