ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

FWIW, they picked Keller for the All Star team.
All things considered, that will work. Bednar looks better at this point but it is really not an apples to apples comparison. When he was selected, Keller had a chance to have 10 wins by the break, not an easy task in this organization.

All things considered, that will work. Bednar looks better at this point but it is really not an apples to apples comparison. When he was selected, Keller had a chance to have 10 wins by the break, not an easy task in this organization.

They are going to need to pick some extra pitchers later this week to cover for the starters who will pitch this weekend and won't be able to pitch next Tuesday, so I think there is still a pretty good chance that Bednar gets picked. Maybe even to replace Keller, since Keller is on schedule to pitch on Saturday so he likely won't be able to pitch in the game.

Reactions: Parkview57
I'm in the LA suburbs watching on Dodgers TV, and the play-by-play team (somebody and Orel Hershiser) and the post-game crew (Jerry Hairston and Nomar Garciaparra) are all bitching about the home plate umpire, particularly in the 9th inning. Looked like he was calling them both ways to me.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'm in the LA suburbs watching on Dodgers TV, and the play-by-play team (somebody and Orel Hershiser) and the post-game crew (Jerry Hairston and Nomar Garciaparra) are all bitching about the home plate umpire, particularly in the 9th inning. Looked like he was calling them both ways to me.
Does Tim Neverett still do games for the Dodgers? I liked him when he called the Pirates on FSN/ROOT.

It really seems like umpires as a whole are getting worse and worse calling balls and strikes.

As an example, those last two called strikes last night on the Dodgers were just awful. But so was the third strike on the one Suwinski at bat.

Caught the last few innings last night. Bases loaded with nobody out in both the 7th and the 9th, and they plated exactly zero runs. So many check swing calls we came out on the wrong end of. McCutchen is just not putting a good swing on balls in the zone; Santana kept popping stuff up; Davis needs to worry about hitting the baseball, as opposed to making sure he has enough equipment on his left arm to be deemed RoboCop.

Game of inches, though, as Reynolds hit a would-be 3-run home run that went a few feet foul.

Caught the last few innings last night. Bases loaded with nobody out in both the 7th and the 9th, and they plated exactly zero runs. So many check swing calls we came out on the wrong end of. McCutchen is just not putting a good swing on balls in the zone; Santana kept popping stuff up; Davis needs to worry about hitting the baseball, as opposed to making sure he has enough equipment on his left arm to be deemed RoboCop.

Game of inches, though, as Reynolds hit a would-be 3-run home run that went a few feet foul.
Be nice to see Reynolds get hot.

Reactions: jctrack
I've probably seen him bat 200 - 300 times and get maybe 3 hits. It's unbelievable. He must do all his damage when I'm not looking. To me, he just looks like a weak dude who barely even swings hard. But the stats don't lie, as they say. Not that his are great this season.
That’s literally impossible lol

So, my stepdaughter got tickets for last night, so she figures "Dad's from Pittsburgh, maybe he'd like to go". Little did she realize (or maybe she did) that every time I've gone to Dodger Stadium (EVERY time) . . . the Pirates have lost. Even when she was in college at UC San Diego, I drove down there to watch the Pirates take on the Padres . . . and they lost. Of course, my streak continued . . .

• Haha
So, my stepdaughter got tickets for last night, so she figures "Dad's from Pittsburgh, maybe he'd like to go". Little did she realize (or maybe she did) that every time I've gone to Dodger Stadium (EVERY time) . . . the Pirates have lost. Even when she was in college at UC San Diego, I drove down there to watch the Pirates take on the Padres . . . and they lost. Of course, my streak continued . . .

KeBryan Hayes's back is an issue. They don't usually get better with age. His bat is suspect and his fielding excellence can't keep up if his back is bad. Id heal him up and trade him at the deadline, if possible.

Reactions: jctrack
KeBryan Hayes's back is an issue. They don't usually get better with age. His bat is suspect and his fielding excellence can't keep up if his back is bad. Id heal him up and trade him at the deadline, if possible.
He’s a bust. No one wants that contract

Reactions: Dan1911

It should be considered malfeasance to have a guy on the injured list, bring him back without having him at least go to one of the minor league teams for a couple days to get some real game action, and then have him aggravate the exact same injury in his first game back to the point where he has to go on the injured list again.

It should be considered malfeasance to have a guy on the injured list, bring him back without having him at least go to one of the minor league teams for a couple days to get some real game action, and then have him aggravate the exact same injury in his first game back to the point where he has to go on the injured list again.
It's the Pirates, What would they rush him back for?? Then again, why if the wind blows, a 26 year old "athlete" gets hurt as much like I would trying to run a 400 meter dash in my 50's with bone on bone osteoathritis??

What a wasted effort. Keller is brawling for 7 and the reliever's first batter ruins the game. You knew they'd lose after that.

Hey, it took him three pitches to give up more hits than Keller did, which is 50% more than the minimum it could have taken!
Too bad Keller issued those 5 walks. Got his pitch count up otherwise he could have pitched the 8th and only would have needed to use Bednar out of the pen in the 9th.

The number of games Shelton has blown . . . oh well, I guess it wouldn't matter; they'd only be at .500.

Manager’s a jackass for doing what just about every other manager in MLB does
Are you implying Shelton has never brought in Bednar in the 8th inning?
He pitched him for two innings today, so what difference does it make if it were 8/9 or 9/10? It was absolutely the right day to bring Bednar in in the 8th inning. First of all a win against a top notch club like Arizona is the type of thing this team needs. Plus, the effort that Keller gave was due the team's best effort with a lead that late in the game.

I'm guessing the plan was to close the game out in nine so Bednar only had to pitch one inning.
Agreed. But, at the time I thought it was a good time to bring Bednar in for the 8th, with that 1 -0 score. If he has an easy inning, that is, a low number of pitches let him take the 9th as well. It's much better than getting swept which is what is about to happen, considering the injury situation, etc.

Edit: I guess as a fan I get caught up in winning/ stopping the losing streak etc., . But as I think about I am not following the program, why worry about winning today, the team is actually getting ready for the 2026 season, when Cutch, Hill, Santana, probably Bednar, etc. are no longer clogging up the works....

Last edited:
I think it goes without saying the Pirates don't have a setup man. They have one reliever. That's it. The rest just serve up meatballs at Olive Garden. You wanna win a game, you need to go straight to Bednar or run the starter til at least the end of the 8th.

Poor Mitch Keller- got to the All-Star Game and allows a HR to open the scoring. Settles down and gets a strike the next batter up.

The boob announcing didn't even notice Sammy Hagar ? Or did they already acknowledge him ?

Total b.s. call on that steal tag out ..
What’re your thoughts on interviewing the pitcher while he’s on the mound? I thought the Rangers pitcher handled it well, but I don’t know how you could stay focused with them in your ear. It’s cool for the fans, not so much the players. I guess it’s only the ASG, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT