ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

Elias Diaz--the catcher the Pirates threw away.
I liked Diaz when he was in Pittsburgh; thought we should’ve retained him. It’s going to work out well for us with Davis/Rodriguez behind the plate, but I’m glad to see he found success in Denver.

Austin Hedges was brought in for his defense. He cost them the game today with his defense. A passed ball and a horrible throw on a steal. He leads the league in catchers interference calls and has more personally (4) than most teams. His bat is horrendous. He throws out 11 percent of runners. Your #1 catcher is playing in the outfield. Someone please explain this to me.

Last edited:
Austin Hedges was brought in for his defense. He cost them the game today with his defense. A passed ball and a horrible throw on a steal. His bat is horrendous. He throws out 11 percent of runners. Your #1 catcher is playing in the outfield. Someone please explain this to me.
Meanwhile, Endy Rodriguez hit a grand slam tonight in AAA. His call-up has to be soon now…

Reactions: 303vND and Dan1911
Austin Hedges was brought in for his defense. He cost them the game today with his defense. A passed ball and a horrible throw on a steal. He leads the league in catchers interference calls and has more personally (4) than most teams. His bat is horrendous. He throws out 11 percent of runners. Your #1 catcher is playing in the outfield. Someone please explain this to me.
Shelton is a terrible manager. That is your explanation. his extension was mind-boggling.

Austin Hedges was brought in for his defense. He cost them the game today with his defense. A passed ball and a horrible throw on a steal. He leads the league in catchers interference calls and has more personally (4) than most teams. His bat is horrendous. He throws out 11 percent of runners.
And he makes Mario Mendoza look like Ted Williams.

He leads the league in catchers interference calls and has more personally (4) than most teams.

Supposedly the reason why he is getting so many (relatively) catcher's interference violations is because they have him setting up a couple inches closer to home plate than catchers typically do because it somehow helps out with pitch framing. Honestly, I am not sure how it is supposed to actually do that, but they are big believers and his pitch framing numbers are really good, they were best in the league as of a couple weeks ago, so I don't know, maybe it's working?

Having said that, it's crap like that that makes me hope the robot umpires to call balls and strikes get here sooner rather than later.

Quinn Priester making his MLB debut either on Monday or Tuesday against Cleveland. Figured this was coming after he only pitched one inning last night.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Starting pitcher has a super quality start. Reliever comes in, and they immediately gives up two runs. One run was an error by one of our awful, place holding catchers.

Starting pitcher has a super quality start. Reliever comes in, and they immediately gives up two runs. One run was an error by one of our awful, place holding catchers.
Yep, that was a crying shame. Kid deserved the W after a near perfect start.
Oviedo will be a solid starter for the Pirates. That's the good news.

The fumbling bumbling Buccos . Leading to 3 runs early ....
Bido chased in the 3rd .. Good grief ..

Supposedly the reason why he is getting so many (relatively) catcher's interference violations is because they have him setting up a couple inches closer to home plate than catchers typically do because it somehow helps out with pitch framing. Honestly, I am not sure how it is supposed to actually do that, but they are big believers and his pitch framing numbers are really good, they were best in the league as of a couple weeks ago, so I don't know, maybe it's working?

Having said that, it's crap like that that makes me hope the robot umpires to call balls and strikes get here sooner rather than later.
Isn’t “pitch framing” just another name for cheating? It is trying to make a pitch that is off the plate look like it is a strike. Maybe MLB should just outlaw the practice.

Reactions: s.a.titan
Swept at home by the Giants. Gave up FIVE runs in extra innings. ONE extra inning.

At this point (actually before) I give up not only on the season, but any chance of reaching .500. All is lost. Sell the farm. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The youth movement continues, Endy Rodriguez is being promoted.

Hey Austin Hedges,

Edit: Peguero coming up as well!

Last edited:
I have no idea if Davis can catch. Not gonna pretend I've watched his minor league games. But it doesn't seem great for the franchise that Hedges/Delay are the tandem in mid July when they entered the year with the two top prospects as catchers... when is this team gonna be good?

Isn’t “pitch framing” just another name for cheating? It is trying to make a pitch that is off the plate look like it is a strike. Maybe MLB should just outlaw the practice.
MLB could outlaw the practice by implementing a robotic umpire system. Not sure if the tech is good enough yet or if the umpires union just prevents it

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Yeah, pretty much, which is why I don't like it. But I'm not sure how you could outlaw it. It's something that has been going on probably just about as long as baseball has existed. How would you ever know if the catcher's glove moved because he was trying to steal a strike, or if it moved because he was trying to catch the ball?

Here’s something to ponder:

Most people are talking about what you do with Rodriguez and Davis, but what happens to Peguero (assuming he plays well) once Cruz returns from the IL? Do you move Cruz to RF or throw one of the other middle infielders (Gonzales?) to 1B just to get them on the field? Don’t get me wrong, that would certainly be a good problem to have.

Yeah, pretty much, which is why I don't like it. But I'm not sure how you could outlaw it. It's something that has been going on probably just about as long as baseball has existed. How would you ever know if the catcher's glove moved because he was trying to steal a strike, or if it moved because he was trying to catch the ball?
It would be difficult, but at least we would not have managers touting the ability of a catcher to frame a pitch, as a reason to play that catcher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT