ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cocaine Users

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
I made it down to campus yesterday. There is a giant sign outside the Towers that says "Cocaine Users" in big letters. In the smaller print, apparently it is for a study where they are looking cocaine users to let their brains be scanned or something. Paying $1600 too. But anyway, not sure this is a good look for Pitt. For one, at first blush where you can only see the large lettering (like in a car driving by), it appears to indicate this is where the cocaine users live. Second, if you are on foot and can read the full sign, it still is implying that Pitt students must contain a lot of cocaine users if the place to find study participants is right outside the Pitt dorms.

On a lighter note, Dan Marino will be $1600 richer next time he comes to town.

Research universities have a duty to perform all types of research, especially a university as focused on public health as Pitt is. Even the kind that are unsavory, or that are inherently related to illegal activity.

As we know, drug use impacts the user’s health, including their brains. Unfortunately, research into those health impacts has historically been rather under-researched for reasons that we can all figure out. And people who participate in research studies deserve to be compensated for their time and effort - and the fact that the compensation is relatively high indicates both (1) the rarity in the population that they’re trying to study, and (2) the level of obligation that they’re asking you to do in order to participate - either multiple scans, scans that carry their own independent level of risk (radiation, contrast, etc.) or a commitment to make repeat visits for further study over a span of months or years.

Research universities have a duty to perform all types of research, especially a university as focused on public health as Pitt is. Even the kind that are unsavory, or that are inherently related to illegal activity.

As we know, drug use impacts the user’s health, including their brains. Unfortunately, research into those health impacts has historically been rather under-researched for reasons that we can all figure out. And people who participate in research studies deserve to be compensated for their time and effort - and the fact that the compensation is relatively high indicates both (1) the rarity in the population that they’re trying to study, and (2) the level of obligation that they’re asking you to do in order to participate - either multiple scans, scans that carry their own independent level of risk (radiation, contrast, etc.) or a commitment to make repeat visits for further study over a span of months or years.
Those are good points. My only comment was to the placement of the big Cocaine Users sign outside the Pitt dorms.

I don’t think it a reflection at all on Pitt. There are drug users everywhere.

Now, if said “meth users”, they’d be better off heading about 75 miles south to another large campus.

Reactions: curtismartin
I made it down to campus yesterday. There is a giant sign outside the Towers that says "Cocaine Users" in big letters. In the smaller print, apparently it is for a study where they are looking cocaine users to let their brains be scanned or something. Paying $1600 too. But anyway, not sure this is a good look for Pitt. For one, at first blush where you can only see the large lettering (like in a car driving by), it appears to indicate this is where the cocaine users live. Second, if you are on foot and can read the full sign, it still is implying that Pitt students must contain a lot of cocaine users if the place to find study participants is right outside the Pitt dorms.

???? Huh

It’s research, you know that thing that makes the school about 10000x more money than sports makes, yet no one clamors to pay all the undergrads helping doing the research.

🤔 might be a setup or a trap.

I would think there are easier places to find willing users to participate

Kids these days get all the benefits. You're telling me I could have been PAID 3 months rent to do some blow as a student?

🤔 might be a setup or a trap.

I would think there are easier places to find willing users to participate
Was just going to post this. In the police academy we learned about Operation Flagship. It was organized by the US Marshals and DC Police, posing as a news station. They sent notices in the mail to known fugitives offering them tickets to a Redskins game with the chance to win Super Bowl tickets. 101 of these idiots showed up, it what was the largest single day sting operations in US History. Get something for nothing schemes are a tale as old as time, yet people still fall for those tricks.

Was just going to post this. In the police academy we learned about Operation Flagship. It was organized by the US Marshals and DC Police, posing as a news station. They sent notices in the mail to known fugitives offering them tickets to a Redskins game with the chance to win Super Bowl tickets. 101 of these idiots showed up, it what was the largest single day sting operations in US History. Get something for nothing schemes are a tale as old as time, yet people still fall for those tricks.
Yes, I saw this recently.

Well the coke dealers in greater Oakland area are definitely in full support of this study. What do you think the participants are going to do with a fresh $1600 in their hand?

No doubt. Almost makes you wonder if the study is a front for a different study: The linkage between pumping thousand of dollars into the local cocaine economy and the number of students who identify as Phish fans.

kind of different. you dont get arrested for claiming to be a cocaine user, only if you possess it on you. now if this "study" made the people bring their own coke and do it in front of them to prove they are a user, then i'd be suspicious.

Thanks! I signed up. 💰

Reactions: ratking17

Beer is legal. Cocaine should be should be also.

kind of different. you dont get arrested for claiming to be a cocaine user, only if you possess it on you. now if this "study" made the people bring their own coke and do it in front of them to prove they are a user, then i'd be suspicious.
Very true. But, I wonder if people just showing up would be enough for UPMC Police to search these people using probable cause as the reason for their search? I wonder how many would have cocaine or cocaine residue on them?

Very true. But, I wonder if people just showing up would be enough for UPMC Police to search these people using probable cause as the reason for their search? I wonder how many would have cocaine or cocaine residue on them?

I think there's a 0% chance Pitt would want its name affiliated with any such takedown. Lib = pro decriminalization of recreational drugs.

Although, given cocaine's propensity to create paranoia, I don't think I'd be able to show up to this thing without believing they implanted a chip in me to follow me along the supply chain.

I think there's a 0% chance Pitt would want its name affiliated with any such takedown. Lib = pro decriminalization of recreational drugs.

Although, given cocaine's propensity to create paranoia, I don't think I'd be able to show up to this thing without believing they implanted a chip in me to follow me along the supply chain.
I bought a chip detector from Ace Hardware, so that I don't have to be concerned about being unknowingly tracked anymore.

It would be in Pitt's best interest to know if cocaine is being used or dealt in their dorms. I would think that drug use is against school policy in the dorms. They might pressure the kids for more info to catch a bigger fish or reduce usage on campus.

No doubt. Almost makes you wonder if the study is a front for a different study: The linkage between pumping thousand of dollars into the local cocaine economy and the number of students who identify as Phish fans.
I’ve spent a bit of time in parking lots outside of Phish shows. Saw lots of stuff being ingested and folks in various states of sobriety.

Didn’t see much cocaine, though!

Reactions: Ski11585
I’ve seen the exact sign you’re speaking of. I don’t partake, but even if I did, there’s an age limit! I missed the cutoff by a couple years.

OR Pitt is a major research University in a city and is looking for study participants who aren't likely to come forward unless enticed.

It would be in Pitt's best interest to know if cocaine is being used or dealt in their dorms. I would think that drug use is against school policy in the dorms. They might pressure the kids for more info to catch a bigger fish or reduce usage on campus.
Cocaine is being used and dealt in the dorms today just like it was in the 70's and 80's.

Hope it’s not that slow in Pittsburgh that they are going to those lengths. Take a walk by cultural district and you’ll find enough drugs to kill a small Mexican village.

Cops know where the drugs are. They don’t need sting operations to find it

I would want to meet the person that would participate in this study then immediately cash the check and spend all the money on Pitt volleyball tickets. This person in my mind is infinitely more interesting than that guy from the Dos Equis commercials.
Coke head research volunteer Pitt women’s volleyball fans don’t grow on trees.

I’ve been to a pitt women’s volleyball game and I’m not gonna lie, a bump or two sitting thru this would have helped.

Watching the bench players run suicides between points and switch benches, coke is needed to make it all make sense.

Hope it’s not that slow in Pittsburgh that they are going to those lengths. Take a walk by cultural district and you’ll find enough drugs to kill a small Mexican village.

Cops know where the drugs are. They don’t need sting operations to find it
UPMC has their own police force, as does AHN. They’re glorified security guards, but they do have an Act 120 and are police officers. If things go South, University Police, Pittsburgh Police and Allegheny County Police would surely respond. If they decide to arrest someone in the ER, they call Pittsburgh to transport to jail to be booked.

I would want to meet the person that would participate in this study then immediately cash the check and spend all the money on Pitt volleyball tickets. This person in my mind is infinitely more interesting than that guy from the Dos Equis commercials.

They should have offered more cocaine as a payment. The $1600 would be going straight to coke anyway so why even mess with the green stuff.

BTW, this makes me think of an Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode. Didnt they develop a Coke habit to participate in a study? For $1600, maybe I will.

Reactions: Tucker99
Go on a week long bender.

Participate in a study.

Break even for your efforts.

What’s not to like?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT