ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy World Cup ticket sale stat

I have little doubt that MLS is going to make huge financial investments for the 26-27 season so that the teams/players are right up there with the EPL, La Liga, and the Bundesliga. Of course, ratings will improve but will they improve enough to sustain paying a roster full of world-class players? For the MLS, its then or never.
You really believe this? The average payroll for MLS is around $10million, the average EPL payroll is around $100million, La Liga is over $100 million, and I believe Bundesliga is also near the $100 million mark. There are teams in these leagues that have an average player salary higher than most MLS teams' entire payroll. They will never spend so much to compare to those leagues. Serie A, J. League, Ligue 1, NPB, and CSL all have higher payrolls than MLS.

I have little doubt that MLS is going to make huge financial investments for the 26-27 season so that the teams/players are right up there with the EPL, La Liga, and the Bundesliga. Of course, ratings will improve but will they improve enough to sustain paying a roster full of world-class players? For the MLS, its then or never.
You really believe this? The average payroll for MLS is around $10million, the average EPL payroll is around $100million, La Liga is over $100 million, and I believe Bundesliga is also near the $100 million mark. There are teams in these leagues that have an average player salary higher than most MLS teams' entire payroll. They will never spend so much to compare to those leagues. Serie A, J. League, Ligue 1, NPB, and CSL all have higher payrolls than MLS.

Yes, MLS is going to try it. Also, keep in mind that soccer is a global game and if the Messi's and Ronaldo's (whoever those guys may be 8 years from now) are playing in the USA on good teams in their prime, MLS will get good TV deals globally.

Listen, they may fail miserably but MLS has always said it wants to be a Top 3 league and if they EVER, EVER want to do that, it has to start in August 2026. They have 8 years to plan for this.

Does the host country get an automatic bid?

Yes. Since we are hosting with Canada and Mexico they will also get automatic bids (although technically FIFA still has to vote for this). This is huge for Canada since they wouldn't make a WC any other way. And yea I know we missed this one but starting in 2026, its 48 teams including 6 CONCACAF teams so the USA will never miss again.

USA, Canada, and Mexico will get automatic bids and Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Trinidad & Tobago, and El Salvador will fight or the other 3 spots.

Reactions: California Gold
So
Just started following a little EPL....and nothing else.

Already made it to soccer snob
Cool!!!

So do the people in the lesser European countries follow EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga and ignore their domestic league over the "quality" issue?

Correctamundo. MLS will never be mainstream in the USA unless its teams/players are on par with England, Spain, Germany.

Joe Blow Sports Fan isn't watching DC United vs Philadelphia Union. If Ronaldo plays for DC and Neymar plays for Philly then maybe they will. To be mainstram, you need more than soccer diehards to watch and only big names can do this.
A lot of the MLS teams have pretty good following in their cities. If football declines in the next 20 years over the injury issues would people still ignore it over "quality"? Doesn't anybody prefer something local that you can root for and actually attend in person EASILY and not have to wake up at 7 am to watch on TV? I'm really looking forward to Baltimore getting USL team, because I care more about going in person and having tailgate parties more than the quality of play.

I guess in soccer then, in the USA, people don't want local teams in their cities?

You are comparing things that couldn't be more unequal. The planet's most popular sporting event that happens once every 4 years and maybe only once or twice a lifetime within driving distance from you vs a medicore Pitt football with usually nothing to play.
soccer (potential 2 hour1-0 barn burner of Uruguay over Iceland) over Pitt football...I already said got it...

soccer over Pitt football...I already said got it...
I just wanted it to be SUPER CLEAR...

I'd choose a WC SOCCER GAME OVER PITT FOOTBALL... OVER STEELERS FOOTBALL TOO!
Clear enough?

caps not necessary, got it...relax, its almost if you feel you need to justify it to me...
Not really, there's a lot of things I'd choose to do over Pitt football, like I'd probably choose an NBA game over Pitt football, that like WC Soccer, I've never been to one, so given the choice for a particular day, I'd choose it over Pitt. I've been to a ton of Pitt games, I'd choose to experience something different.

Not really, there's a lot of things I'd choose to do over Pitt football, like I'd probably choose an NBA game over Pitt football, that like WC Soccer, I've never been to one, so given the choice for a particular day, I'd choose it over Pitt. I've been to a ton of Pitt games, I'd choose to experience something different.
touchy touchy...so you like the 5 8' 152lb dudes from South America playing kickball over "been there done that" Pitt football, that is fine no need to be so sensitive about it..guessing you would have to have well over 15k contrarian posts on the FIFA board in comparison to the Lair as 'Pele79'.

touchy touchy...so you like the 5 8' 152lb dudes from South America playing kickball over "been there done that" Pitt football, that is fine no need to be so sensitive about it..guessing you would have to have well over 15k contrarian posts on the FIFA board in comparison to the Lair as 'Pele79'.
Who's "contrarian" ? I just don't follow the crowd like you do. I get it, you'd feel uncomfortable and maybe even un-American choosing something "different". Is there anything you'd choose over JUST ANOTHER Pitt football game that you've been to so many of before?

Who's "contrarian" ? I just don't follow the crowd like you do. I get it, you'd feel uncomfortable and maybe even un-American choosing something "different". Is there anything you'd choose over JUST ANOTHER Pitt football game that you've been to so many of before?

Who's "contrarian" ? I just don't follow the crowd like you do.

Contrarian
" opposing or rejecting popular opinion; going against current practice."

you can't just make this stuff up in the real world, hahaha

Who's "contrarian" ? I just don't follow the crowd like you do.

Contrarian
" opposing or rejecting popular opinion; going against current practice."

you can't just make this stuff up in the real world, hahaha

I'm not the only one here that said they'd choose a one time opportunity to go to a WC game over going to a 50th or 100th run of the mill Pitt football game. Now it the CFP Championship Game was on the same day, and Pitt was in it, I'd choose that, but not Pitt/VA regular season.

I went to the the Chelsea vs AC Roma game at Heinz back in the mid 2000's. I have NEVER been so bored in my life at a sporting event. I would rather watch HS football any day over top level soccer. Honestly the only time I can really watch it was when my nephew played and only because I had a true personal interest. During the WC I would watch USA or Italy but only here or there. Couldn't watch from start to finish.

I'm not the only one here that said they'd choose a one time opportunity to go to a WC game over going to a 50th or 100th run of the mill Pitt football game. Now it the CFP Championship Game was on the same day, and Pitt was in it, I'd choose that, but not Pitt/VA regular season.
no, you are correct that was me. Pitt/Virginia football game over a Uruguay/Iceland World cup soccer pitch or match or whatever the hell they call them thus denying my grandchildren the opportunity to hear the story of the 1-nil world cup excitement fest I saw. In person! Surrounded by foreigners!. Guilty as charged but not really that crazy imo being an avid Pitt fan and all. ...you, on the other hand, are the one who said you were not a contrarian by using the very definition of contrarian to label yourself not a contrarian..You own that one. Classic!

Last edited:
no, you are correct that was me. Pitt/Virginia football game over a Uruguay/Iceland World cup soccer pitch or match or whatever the hell they call them thus denying my grandchildren the opportunity to hear the story of the 1-nil world cup excitement fest I saw. In person! Surrounded by foreigners!. Guilty as charged but not really that crazy imo being an avid Pitt fan and all. ...you, on the other hand, are the one who said you were not a contrarian by using the very definition of contrarian to label yourself not a contrarian..You own that one. Classic!
I think I'm a huge Pitt fan, having been to at least 50 games in my lifetime-that's a lot compared to most people. It's contrarian to want to try something different rather than just do the thing you've already done 50+ times? Another part of it is, there will always be another easy opportunity to go to a Pitt game, the WC not so much.

Do I sense a showdown between a soccer snob and a soccer purist? Im scared, I want to look away but cant.

what happens when these two get together and battle it out? Do we stand aside and watch, do we call the cops, hide our children and women and run for the hills?
What happens? One fan raises his hand and the other falls to the ground a rolls around for 5 minutes looking like he just got shot.

See, even me, a fan if the sport, can make fun of it.

It’s actually a part of the game that gets overblown...but it certainly happens.

Reactions: Pitt79
It’s actually a part of the game that gets overblown...but it certainly happens.

And sorry, most of the time they don't get the call! I'd say floppers get more calls in basketball than soccer. And if my guy draws the call undeservedly? More power to him, he gamed the system and won. What's the big deal?

Also, you have to keep in mind that if the MLS did invest so heavily in players that it became a Top 3 league, it would get great worldwide TV deals.

For example, American NHL teams only receive about $6 million per year from ESPN. NBC pays the Penguins less than ESPN pays Pitt. However, this doesn't include local regional sports network deals.

The big money for the NHL is the Canadien TV contract which pays each team about $14 million.

If the NHL was JUST an American league without a Canadien audience, it couldn't survive just as a world class MLS couldn't survive without big foreign TV deals.

I think a world-class MLS would get ratings better than what the EPL and NHL currently get on NBC. Throw in foreign deals and you have enough money to bankroll it

Also, you have to keep in mind that if the MLS did invest so heavily in players that it became a Top 3 league, it would get great worldwide TV deals.

For example, American NHL teams only receive about $6 million per year from ESPN. NBC pays the Penguins less than ESPN pays Pitt. However, this doesn't include local regional sports network deals.

The big money for the NHL is the Canadien TV contract which pays each team about $14 million.

If the NHL was JUST an American league without a Canadien audience, it couldn't survive just as a world class MLS couldn't survive without big foreign TV deals.

I think a world-class MLS would get ratings better than what the EPL and NHL currently get on NBC. Throw in foreign deals and you have enough money to bankroll it
Get the MLS into UEFA and it could be a top 6 league. However, it isn’t. MLS teams make big money and the league has no interest in removing cost control measures that hold back quality of play. Realistic goal should be to be a top selling league, perhaps even to the level of England’s second division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT