ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Movie Characters.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Think about this, I am not talking about necessarily the star or main character, but one that was significant, and memorable. I almost did this for "favorite movie characters who died" but thought that would be too limiting.

Two that come immediately to mind (and both died) was:
Robert Shaw as Captain Quint in Jaws. In fact, I think the Jaws cast of Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider was about as well done as any movie as was the dialogue. But Quint was great. Shaw was perfect as him. Nailed it. Completely memorable.

The second is Sean Connery as Officer Jimmy Malone in the Untouchables. Again, just perfectly cast with some of the best lines.......I was truly sad and outraged when he was killed.

Think about this, I am not talking about necessarily the star or main character, but one that was significant, and memorable. I almost did this for "favorite movie characters who died" but thought that would be too limiting.

Robert Shaw as Captain Quint in Jaws. In fact, I think the Jaws cast of Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider was about as well done as any movie as was the dialogue. But Quint was great. Shaw was perfect as him. Nailed it. Completely memorable.

The second is Sean Connery as Officer Jimmy Malone in the Untouchables. Again, just perfectly cast with some of the best lines.......I was truly sad and outraged when he was killed.
Agree 100% on Sean Connery as Officer Jimmy Malone. LOVED that character.

Reactions: TD_6082

"This shark, swallow ya whole." "Very first light Chief, sharks come cruisin."

"What are you prepared to do?"

Winston Wolfe first comes to mind. Let me think of others.

“Are you an oak man, Jimmy?”

"This shark, swallow ya whole." "Very first light Chief, sharks come cruisin."

"What are you prepared to do?"

• Quint: (Seeing Hooper’s equipment) What are you? Some kind of half-assed astronaut?
  • Quint: Jesus H Christ, when I was a boy, every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. (Examines the shark cage) What d’ya have there, – a portable shower or a monkey cage?
  • Hooper: Anti-Shark cage.
  • Quint: Anti-shark cage. You go inside the cage? Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark’s in the water. Our shark.
  • Quint: (Singing) Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain. For we’ve received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so never more shall we see you again.

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and CCHS82
Jane Darwell as Ma Joad in “The Grapes of Wrath.” I think she gave the best supporting performance in movie history. And, she got to deliver the closing lines, which are among the handful of greatest closing lines in movie history.

For the most impactful performance with zero lines, Robert Duvall as Arthur “Boo” Radley in “To Kill A Mockingbird.” Those eyes as he stands hidden behind the door after saving the lives of Jem and Scout!

All of the above-mentioned are very good but IMO Shawshank Redemption with Tim Dobbins as Andy Dufrene; Morgan Freeman as "Red"; and Bob Guntin as Warden Sam Norton.

Here's some others ...

Christine "Ladybird" McPherson
Eric "Otter" Straton
Miles Raymond from Sideways
Dr. Sean McGuire from Goodwill Hunting (honorable mention to Morgan O'Malley)
Aaron Altman from Broadcast News
Rob Gordon from Hi Fidelity (honorable mention to Barry Judd)

There are just too many to pick one, just a few off the top of my head.

Gene Wilder - Willy Wonka
Heath Ledger - Joker
Keanu Reeves - Neo
Sam Rockwell - Sam (Moon)
Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones (I can't even imagine if it went to Tom Selleck)
Christoper Lloyd & Michael J Fox - Doc Brown & Marty
Robert Downey Jr - Ironman
Danny Glover - Murtaugh
Anthony Hopskins - Hannibal
The 1984 Ghostbusters

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen

Eli Wallach as Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump

Heath Ledger - Joker
Keanu Reeves - Neo
Danny Glover - Murtaugh
The 1984 Ghostbusters

Nice list.

Heath Ledger - Joker
Keanu Reeves - Neo
Danny Glover - Murtaugh
The 1984 Ghostbusters

I should add that if I'm going to toss in an MCU selection, I'd go with the Guardians of the Galaxy. ESPECIALLY Groot!

Joachim Phoenix killed it in Joker.
Bill the Butcher was a good one.
Robert DeNiro as young Don C
Gene W as Willy Wonka was an excellent choice
Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter
Loved Kevin Spacey in Usual Suspects

Memorable? Margaret Hamilton has haunted me for a lifetime!

witchs-son-1-2-color-please-dont-crop.jpg

Christopher Reeve playing Superman was exactly how I imagined Superman would be.

And in the movie, “The Hollywood Knights”, actor Robert Wuhl played the character “Newbomb Turk” to perfection.

Christopher Reeve playing Superman was exactly how I imagined Superman would be.

And in the movie, “The Hollywood Knights”, actor Robert Wuhl played the character “Newbomb Turk” to perfection.

Love Robert Wuhl as Larry Hockett ...

"... do know what that makes you guys? Larry?"

Larry: "Lollygaggers!"

"Candlesticks always make a nice gift, and maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em!"

Reactions: bwh05
Okay...........the movie was over the top sappy now in retrospect. But I will admit, I really liked Anthony Edward's "Goose" in Top Gun.

As far as playing a character, was there anything better and more realistic than Robert Downey Jr's Julian in Less than Zero? Pretty scary how close to reality it was.

Sean Penn's Terry Noonan and Gary Oldman's Jackie Flannery in State of Grace.

Denzel in Malcolm X
Depp in Donnie Brasco
Norton in American History X
Sacha Baron Cohen in Borat(s)
Margot Bingham as Daughter Maitland in Boardwalk Empire (kidding, but shes an old friend and it was her first big role)

Sean Penn's Terry Noonan and Gary Oldman's Jackie Flannery in State of Grace.
[/QUOTE]

Damn that’s a really good one (two).

Marlon Brando's soliloquoy "I've seen horror"; in Apocalypse Now. An astonishing piece of acting

Bill Murray in Zombieland

Matthew McConaughey and Jonah Hill in Wolf of Wall Street

Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction for the win

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE

Loved Connery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT